PDA

View Full Version : Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Vaportrail
02-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Sebastien Gingras has not been "right" since the UConn game. Objectively, he's a minus 10 and contributed only a secondary assist in his last eight games. Those numbers are almost inconceivable given his zone (offensive end) start ratio and the players he's out with. Subjectively, he has looked to avoid contact, has missed responsibilities, and played big roles in three losses during that time.

That's just not who Sebastien is, and it looks as though he came back too soon from his "all-around body injury". Whatever it is, best wishes for a full recovery.

Vaportrail
02-16-2015, 01:59 PM
By comparison, despite Charlie's challenges this year, his +/- is zero in those same last eight games played by Sebastien. Plus/Minus is out of favor because it doesn't reflect whether or not a player's "starts" are "in the zone" (offensive end) or "out of the zone" - and doesn't consider quality of teammates/opponents while a player is on the ice.

That said, most of Charlie's starts aren't in the zone, so he has a low "start ratio", and he's often out with Union's third/fourth lines. His +/- should be lower than most.

Dutchman
02-18-2015, 01:09 PM
More good news .... sounds like we are down to our last 6-defensemen
"Union's Taylor, Gingras 'highly doubtful' to play this weekend"
http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2015/feb/17/unions-taylor-gingras-highly-doubtful-play-weekend/

Miami Ice
02-19-2015, 09:36 PM
More good news .... sounds like we are down to our last 6-defensemen
"Union's Taylor, Gingras 'highly doubtful' to play this weekend"
http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2015/feb/17/unions-taylor-gingras-highly-doubtful-play-weekend/

Perhaps improbable...but the good news is Union winning its last four games to salvage a season that no one thought would be this ignominious. Two of their best defensemen not playing make "improbable" even more so. Is Union ready to make a statement? There aren't too many rabbits left in the hat, but Rick Bennett could still turn some heads.

AnthonySaxe
02-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Perhaps improbable...but the good news is Union winning its last four games to salvage a season that no one thought would be this ignominious. Two of their best defensemen not playing make "improbable" even more so. Is Union ready to make a statement? There aren't too many rabbits left in the hat, but Rick Bennett could still turn some heads.

Groan.

aweise
02-20-2015, 11:47 AM

I've been waiting for the moment their season turns around pretty much all season. :o

I've never doubted Rick Bennett's ability to turn this group around, especially considering the talent they do have. Unfortunately, the guys I expected to keep things stable haven't played up to the level I thought they would (Taylor, Gingras, Vasaturo, Lichtenwald, & Stevens...up until last weekend). I'd hate to say it's too late to turn things around, but...

Dutchman
02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
I think diPauli is out too .... tough guy but I think closer to 5'7" than 5'10"

ADK11
02-20-2015, 04:20 PM
I've been waiting for the moment their season turns around pretty much all season. :o

I've never doubted Rick Bennett's ability to turn this group around, especially considering the talent they do have. Unfortunately, the guys I expected to keep things stable haven't played up to the level I thought they would (Taylor, Gingras, Vasaturo, Lichtenwald, & Stevens...up until last weekend). I'd hate to say it's too late to turn things around, but...Well, with Taylor & Gingras out and maybe not coming back this season the chances of any kind of turnaround are slim & none. Charlie V will be the only upperclassman on the blueline and the PP (one of the few bright spots this season) takes a big hit without Taylor. As for this weekend, I'm hoping A) the team scores a goal, and B) they somehow keep the games respectable. Optimistically I'm hoping for a point or two this weekend, but reality with the current lineup is its time for moral victories that hopefully point to improvement next season.

This season has just been a struggle of not having enough of the right pieces with players injured, inexperienced, or not improving enough from last season. I don't think you can really point fingers at anyone and I particularly do not like the statements by some people (including Mr. Schott) that the players don't have enough heart or drive this season. This was a rebuilding year no matter how you look at it and Union is not in position like some teams to just "reload" with a pack of A+ freshmen. The cupboard has to be refilled a bit and the young players will need another year or 2 to buy-in to the Union Way of doing things. I have plenty of theories (of course) on what happened this season and what has to happen to get back toward the top of league, but that can wait for the offseason.

rdf8585
02-20-2015, 06:19 PM
Lines:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lines for tonight&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ECACHockey?src=hash">#ECACHockey</a> game between <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GateHockey?src=hash">#GateHockey</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UnionHockey?src=hash">#UnionHockey</a>. <a href="http://t.co/NalOlVsPlh">pic.twitter.com/NalOlVsPlh</a></p>&mdash; Union Hockey Blog (@UnionHockeyBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/UnionHockeyBlog/status/568911101737504768">February 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dutchfan
02-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Well, with Taylor & Gingras out and maybe not coming back this season the chances of any kind of turnaround are slim & none. Charlie V will be the only upperclassman on the blueline and the PP (one of the few bright spots this season) takes a big hit without Taylor. As for this weekend, I'm hoping A) the team scores a goal, and B) they somehow keep the games respectable. Optimistically I'm hoping for a point or two this weekend, but reality with the current lineup is its time for moral victories that hopefully point to improvement next season.

This season has just been a struggle of not having enough of the right pieces with players injured, inexperienced, or not improving enough from last season. I don't think you can really point fingers at anyone and I particularly do not like the statements by some people (including Mr. Schott) that the players don't have enough heart or drive this season. This was a rebuilding year no matter how you look at it and Union is not in position like some teams to just "reload" with a pack of A+ freshmen. The cupboard has to be refilled a bit and the young players will need another year or 2 to buy-in to the Union Way of doing things. I have plenty of theories (of course) on what happened this season and what has to happen to get back toward the top of league, but that can wait for the offseason.

Exactly. Nobody outside of the BU/BCs of the country is going to set the world on fire with seven freshmen in the lineup. The injuries and lack of development from the returnees just set things back even worse.

Miami Ice
02-21-2015, 02:59 AM
The hope of a turnaround has all but evaporated. Injuries are exacerbating the misery as momentum to the downside accelerates. The scoring drought is perverse. Puck luck seems as likely as a palm tree in Schenectady.
But for the first period, not a bad showing. However, if the cavalry does arrive (winning the ECAC tournament), it will be a miracle. Sub .500 is more uncomfortable than sub zero upstate!

ADK11
02-21-2015, 08:46 AM
As for this weekend, I'm hoping A) the team scores a goal, and B) they somehow keep the games respectable.Well, they marginally accomplished B but still waiting on A.. The boys did pull it together after the first period, but still were outplayed for most of the night. Meanwhile Brown is on a tear and is now only 2 points back.. finishing 11th would not be pretty but looks ever possible :(.

rdf8585
02-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Bennett and Cruice in for Hynes and Roy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Line charts for tonight&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ECACHockey?src=hash">#ECACHockey</a> game between <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UnionHockey?src=hash">#UnionHockey</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CornellHockey?src=hash">#CornellHockey</a>. <a href="http://t.co/lND9kjsENG">pic.twitter.com/lND9kjsENG</a></p>&mdash; Union Hockey Blog (@UnionHockeyBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/UnionHockeyBlog/status/569261782163951618">February 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dutchman
02-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Good solid hitting against the biggest team in College Hockey. In the last three games we blocked 48 shots, gave up 5. In the previous three we blocked 17 giving up 10. Last year about this time we throwing our bodies at everything that looked like a puck. During the stretch this year where we were 3-1-1 we blocked 70. We are definately stepping it up defensively. Last year down the stretch, expecially in the FF4 we were getting back on defense and clogging the lanes.

Hope we draw Cornell in the first round.

Miami Ice
02-22-2015, 07:12 AM
RB states that hot goaltenders have presented high hurdles during the recent swoon. SLU's is the best in the country; advantage SLU next weekend. Clarkson is probably a toss up.
RB states recent headwinds are good preparation for the playoffs. In that case the Dutchmen look to be one of the best prepared teams! Can't wait for them! Good riddance to a season of Mr. Murphy and "mananas."
Does Philadelphia seem like an eternity ago? Can still hear Buccigross' echoes.

UFan
02-22-2015, 08:34 AM
We score a goal !!!!!!!!!!! I'm celebrating today :)
We need our defense to go to defense camp this summer. Then we'll be good. Otherwise, I foresee another half a year to a year before they're ready. And lots of video too, I'm not sure they all have a good vision of the game. It seems that they're not looking at the big picture, but when under pressure, they just pass as they were told to (back to the point) without thinking. The good news is that you can teach this, or a lot of it anyways. They really have improved quite a bit, but every mistakes bites you in the backside hard every time.
And Eli needs to go to passing camp. I'd love to see his passing stats; actually, I really don't.
Other than that, RB is partially correct : We've hit a few goalies on fire. That's demoralizing. But we also need forwards to put the garbage in the net, like Daniel Carr used to do. When you're 2 feet in front of the net, you must be able to get the puck to the water bottle, not just poke it or lift it 2 inches above the ice.

AspyDad
02-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Just a quick question. Is Whollin1 ok? I have not see him post in quite along time. W1 I hope this finds you well.

ADK11
02-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Just a quick question. Is Whollin1 ok? I have not see him post in quite along time. W1 I hope this finds you well.Not to betray any confidences, but he is fine.. amazingly some people have lives beyond this board that at times take precedent over commenting on the prowess (or lack thereof) of college hockey teams. I wouldn't know what that is like, though my wife wishes otherwise ;).

Dutchman
02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
This is new territory for us. This weekend will be the last at ACHILLES CENTER for the seniors. One of the games has got to be seniors night? The coaches are certainly not giving any hint that the season might be over in 4 games? Does RB have something up his sleeve? Are the leaders ready to call it a season?

FlagDUDE08
02-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Not to betray any confidences, but he is fine.. amazingly some people have lives beyond this board that at times take precedent over commenting on the prowess (or lack thereof) of college hockey teams. I wouldn't know what that is like, though my wife wishes otherwise ;).

While on the subject, hopefully SlyFoxMan is also OK.