Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

That was pretty much what I feared might happen.. the debate about Alex vs. Colin was no factor in that game. U lost pretty much every significant puck battle, seemed totally baffled by Cornell's trademark clogging of the neutral zone, and couldn't get a shot off within 15-feet of the goal until there was 15 seconds left in the game. 3 bad defensive mistakes led to the Red's first 3 goals and there you have it. I'll certainly give Cornell credit for doing what they always do, though can perhaps chalk up some of this to the freshmen baptism of playing a team as big as the Red for the first time, but the bigger concern is that a pattern is emerging. Teams that are a little bigger, physical, play good disciplined defense and get good goaltending give Union a ton of trouble - almost regardless of the overall skill level of said team. On the other hand, teams that like to skate more and aren't as physical, U can do ok with. I have no idea how tomorrow night's is going to go, as Colgate is a team that can skate quick AND likes to get in your face. The Raiders also have been getting very good goaltending. If the Raiders play their game it could be another long night. This is bigtime gut check time for U's veterans as it will take a topnotch 60-minute effort to get points tomorrow.

I will give props to the boys for fighting hard till the end and popping one home to avoid the shutout. I heard someone in the crowd saying its been 95 games since U was last shutout, so that is at least something.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
      That was pretty much what I feared might happen.. the debate about Alex vs. Colin was no factor in that game. U lost pretty much every significant puck battle, seemed totally baffled by Cornell's trademark clogging of the neutral zone, and couldn't get a shot off within 15-feet of the goal until there was 15 seconds left in the game. 3 bad defensive mistakes led to the Red's first 3 goals and there you have it. I'll certainly give Cornell credit for doing what they always do, though can perhaps chalk up some of this to the freshmen baptism of playing a team as big as the Red for the first time, but the bigger concern is that a pattern is emerging. Teams that are a little bigger, physical, play good disciplined defense and get good goaltending give Union a ton of trouble - almost regardless of the overall skill level of said team. On the other hand, teams that like to skate more and aren't as physical, U can do ok with. I have no idea how tomorrow night's is going to go, as Colgate is a team that can skate quick AND likes to get in your face. The Raiders also have been getting very good goaltending. If the Raiders play their game it could be another long night. This is bigtime gut check time for U's veterans as it will take a topnotch 60-minute effort to get points tomorrow.

I will give props to the boys for fighting hard till the end and popping one home to avoid the shutout. I heard someone in the crowd saying its been 95 games since U was last shutout, so that is at least something.
      Close. It's been 92 games now, the longest such streak in the country following Denver's shutout loss to UNO last weekend.

Gillam didn't get tested much tonight, but he's been outstanding for Cornell. Someone pointed out that he leads the country in GAA and save percentage. They're obviously not having problems replacing Andy Iles, one of my concerns with that team entering the year.

We'll see how Union responds, but I'm sure Colgate will be extra hungry after getting upset at RPI. Plus, most of Colgate's team remembers getting beat by Union in the ECACH final last year. For what it's worth, Union is 2-4-1 after a loss this year. Colgate is 3-3-0.

As for Sak vs Stevens, it wouldn't have mattered tonight, but I still think Stevens is the team's best option going forward. It would be nice for him to set the program's D1 era goalie wins record at home (currently tied with K.Mayotte at 46) but we'll see who Bennett goes with tomorrow. If I had to guess, I'd say Sak, but who knows. There's something amiss about that whole situation.

My recap of Friday's game: http://t.co/noKtWj0dSs
      Last edited by rdf8585; 01-17-2015, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Is anyone beside me offended by Ken Schott and his belligerent questions?

IMO we pushed our defensemen into the offense hoping that our offensive firepower would win the day knowing the risk we took and knowing that it exposed our goal tenders and they would have to stand on their head. To combat their forecheck we also skated into their zone. Given our opponent, all this made sense.

One of the comments made by the coaches after the BU game was that HE plays a more "run and gun" style of play and the ECAC plays a more physical style of play. This is born out by looking at the schools that are tops in defense in the NCAA. Many are ECAC schools (Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate, Harvard, etc.). I believe that we have done well against HE opponents because we now favor that style of play, not out of intentional design, but because it matches the skill of our players. Last year we could adjust to the style of play of our opponent fairly easily, to gut out a win. We could win ugly and score ugly when we had to. Sullivan, Hatch, Bodie, Ikkala and Carr and could adjust. Down the stretch last year we were scoring nearly 5 goals a game against some very good defensive teams.

We bet, we lost. We were not able to scrum in front of their goalie, Gillam, and we were not able to get back in time to save ours. Cornell was patient. Clearly they have been working on their opportunistic offense. The only thing that did not make sense to me was our failure to forecheck more aggressively and win at least some 1 on 1 battles. Cornell's passing was textbook, short and crisp. Gillam is outstanding. He controlled the puck, did not allow loose pukes. He was never challenged.

I am not sure we were as bad as we looked. Clearly we are being scouted and teams are coming up with ways to slow down our offense. Can we adjust and gut out a 1-0 game? Cornell was just outstanding. This might just be the year of the Ivy's ....

I actually though, given the circumstances and what I assumed was the game plan, that SAK played well and as well as anyone could expect. Some of this year's outstanding ECAC goal tenders had average years last year but the experience and maturing set them up for this year.

Three years ago we were a better road team. Two years ago we were a better home team. Last year it did not matter.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-17-2015, 12:15 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Last night was a stinker. This season reminds one of waiting for one's horse to fire at Saratoga. It just isn't happening.
          A la Schott...no more inane questions are ever asked by a reporter.
          Last edited by Miami Ice; 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Gut check time for this team tonight. Hope to see Colin in net. Forwards will have a lot more room against Colgate, than they did last night. Time to turn it up a notch with the forecheck. This will put a little more pressure on the Dman and goalie but both are due to step up.

Comment

Almost all Leamans guys gone?
              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

• Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                Almost all Leamans guys gone?
                You mean the guys that Bennett recruited? SG leaving early.
                Great pipeline

Comment

I dont think I have ever heard of a National Championship winning goalie, returning for his senior season, losing his job to a backup. Perhaps the more accurate spin may be how did we ever win a title with him to begin with? Just very odd - but clearly the coach is looking to next year in that regard.

Bottom line is we will need to win the ECAC tournament to get into the NCAA's, which by itself would be a major accomplishment.

Oh - and why isnt Champini more of a consistent offensive force? Seems like a numbers hanger to me...

Btw - where can I hear Schott's inane questions? Always eager to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    That's his job. He was respectful IMO.
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by JakeMalloy View Post
                      I dont think I have ever heard of a National Championship winning goalie, returning for his senior season, losing his job to a backup. Perhaps the more accurate spin may be how did we ever win a title with him to begin with? Just very odd - but clearly the coach is looking to next year in that regard.

Bottom line is we will need to win the ECAC tournament to get into the NCAA's, which by itself would be a major accomplishment.

Oh - and why isnt Champini more of a consistent offensive force? Seems like a numbers hanger to me...

Btw - where can I hear Schott's inane questions? Always eager to hear that.
                      I'd speculate Collin maybe hurt, it doesn't make sense why Alex is getting all this playing time over an All-American goalie.
                      Union College Hockey
                      2014 NCAA National Champions
                      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                        I'd speculate Collin maybe hurt, it doesn't make sense why Alex is getting all this playing time over an All-American goalie.
                        Against Q, Colin gave up 4 goals in the first 30 minutes saving 14. Alex came in mid way through the second period and stopped all the next 14, allowing the team to come back with three and almost tie it. Several of the players went over to Alex and congrats him ... Alex held Yale to 1 and SH to 1 and did a good, not great job against BU. He let up a rebound. One goal bounced off of Taylors stick. BU was top 7 in offense and they wanted the win very badly. Eickel was not there. Not to take anything away from Colin but last year Colin had in front of him Sullivan, Hatch, Bodie, Ikkala and Carr and the Ghost and two of them were 1st string all-American defensemen. Even the greasy turd from Troy said Ghost was the best player in College Hockey.

Bennett has been very consistent ... he is going to play who he believes is going to help us win.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          Schott has typically struck me as just the opposite -- fawning and very protective of his access. This isn't a knock on him; it is essential for a small market reporter who can get deeply screwed if his relationships go sour. But I'm surprised to hear him described as belligerent.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Schott has typically struck me as just the opposite -- fawning and very protective of his access. This isn't a knock on him; it is essential for a small market reporter who can get deeply screwed if his relationships go sour. But I'm surprised to hear him described as belligerent.
                            I thought his interview was fine, though he does sometimes get stuck on a topic that is something the coach doesn't want to elaborate on. Bennett is notoriously tight lipped and last night was obviously not in a good mood. U did seem completely flumoxed about how to get the puck into the zone. They kept trying to carry the puck into the zone and had very little luck doing that. U's coaches certainly knew what to expect from Cornell, since Shafer has been doing the same thing for the last 20 years, so was a little surprising that they didn't try a different tactic as the game went on. But of course, the alternative of dumping the puck in from the red line isn't a great one either given the size of the Red and that they were winning the puck battles. Also, Cornell was falling back into the protective shell more & more as the game went on and their lead increased.

As for Alex & Colin, I am surprised that they aren't trying to ride Colin more and get him going for the stretch run, but there must be something they are seeing with him that is off. Not to blame Alex at all for last night (a game U was never going to win), but if he makes a big save on the breakaway on the first goal, the game could have been much different. It is killer to get behind on Cornell and plays right into their strengths. We'll see who goes tonight..
                            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Tonight's lines:

Also - Roy in for Coatta up front. Henry in for Light on defense.

Comment

Stevens starting tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X