Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Sounds like Gingras and Michael P might be back. That is good news !!! We will need all the help we can get !!! Cornell and Colgate are two of the very best defensive teams in the country and Colgate is on a roll and the only ECAC team we could not defeat last year during the regular season. Cornell is tops in defense and giving up less than 1 recently. Both goalies are off the charts, top 10. I hope home ice gives us some advantage.
    http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...-lineup-frida/
    Last edited by Dutchman; 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      Will Union be streaming the Colgate game ? I don't see anything.
      Should be ......
      http://www.unionathletics.tv/
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

TY sir.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
          Sad news about Shier, he had a promising future. I wonder if it had to due with the lack of playing time?
          In his comments he said it had nothing to with the hockey team. That still leaves it open about whether it had something to do with hockey in general or the coach in particular. Bennett didn't do himself any favors with his petulant response, but we well know that coaches sometimes say stuff that is intended for an impact with the team, regardless of how it seems to the outside.

Shier's dad was a Cornell legend and I wouldn't mind at all if he gave us a shot, but from everything I've read it seems like he'll wind up in CIS.
          Last edited by Kepler; 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Game Notes this weekend -
            http://www.unionathletics.com/docume...5_.pdf?id=3745
            Union To Host Cornell and Colgate at Messa Rink - good picture of Eli (6'6", 235lbs)
            http://www.unionathletics.com/news/2...x?path=mhockey
            Last edited by Dutchman; 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              Sounds like Gingras and Michael P might be back. That is good news !!! We will need all the help we can get !!! Cornell and Colgate are two of the very best defensive teams in the country and Colgate is on a roll and the only ECAC team we could not defeat last year during the regular season. Cornell is tops in defense and giving up less than 1 recently. Both goalies are off the charts, top 10. I hope home ice gives us some advantage.
              http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...-lineup-frida/
              Does anyone know the details of Gingras' illness? I'm curious more than anything, but I certainly hope he's ok...then I hope he's ok enough to play hockey.
              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Definite bummer about Shier leaving.. he was one of my favorite freshmen and I thought had a bright future. You could see the talent level was there and that he is a good kid. All I can say is good luck to him going forward and hope this turns out to be the right decision.

Looking at Ryan's list of players that left recently, except for Ekstrom & Ingoldsby (injuries) and Mingoia (Leaman recruit), the rest all fall in the category of "not really good enough for D-1". Could also add Andrew Esty to that group. Saying that these guys didn't have the dedication or work ethic to be D-1, really isn't fair IMO. D-1 athletics is a huge time commitment and requires extensive effort in and out of-season. It's a very tough decision to dedicate incredible amounts of time & effort, knowing that you are borderline talent-wise and may almost never play in actual games. Personally, I think almost all of the players that left early made the right decision. Mingoia is the only outlier, and really benefited from another 1.5 seasons in the USHL and having Leaman in his corner as a potential landing spot. Shier is definitely similar to Mingoia talent wise and I think could be a real good D-1 player some day. My feeling is that it was tough for him to see other players playing instead of him and not exactly "lighting it up". I suspect there is a bit of tension surrounding the fact that the 3rd & 4th lines aren't settled and arent' producing. Hopefully getting Pontarelli back will help with that, but right now U looks like a 2 line team.

As for tonight's game, I'm definitely interested to see how it goes. Cornell is the type of team that U has had tremendous trouble with this season - bigger, physical, good D & goaltending. Can U's speed keep the puck away from the Big Red or will Cornell just continually take away the puck with strength and clog the front of the goal and not allow U to get any shots in close? I'm not entirely optimistic.

Going forward I continue to think that goaltending is a key for U. I'm enthused that Alex has been better this season and has mostly been equal to Colin, but the downside is that Colin has been barely above average after the hot start in the first 2-3 weeks of the season. U needs more than just good goaltending and needs a goalie to steal or game or two down the stretch. In order to make top 4, would have to go somewhere around 9-3 down the stretch.. which doesn't seem very likely with road trips still to the NC, Lynah/Starr, & Dartmouth/Harvard. Hoping tonight is the start of something good..
                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Also.. Whither Wholin?????? Haven't seen him on here for quite a while now and hope he is OK.
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

How has he been equal to Colin. Stats don't support that. You need Colin to do well in ecac in my opinion.
                    Tournament is huge

Comment

Lines:

Last edited by rdf8585; 01-16-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Looks like:

Alex Starts? - 30 minutes of shutout hockey against Q on 14 shots. Can he keep it going?
                        Foo moves to Eli's line to give it more firepower.
                        Michael P is back and steps into replace Foo in Veccihione's line.
                        Scarfo-Novak-Ciampini line stays intact
                        Cruise steps in and joins Sam Coatta who moves to Center a line with Hynes. Cruise has only played in 5 games thus far and has 6 shots. A small but very physical line.

On Defense, DeSimone moves up with Taylor - Noah Henry Out - Lots of speed here
                        Vasaturo moves up to join Brassard and Gingras joins Light on the third line.

I like this lineup ....

My take, we are going with speed and offensive firepower against the number one defense in the country. Cornell can score when they want to. They put up 4 against Denver. Going to be great pressure on Alex. He held Yale and SH to 1. We are much better on the road so far this year. Lets hope the home town folks get them going.

Cornell attracts a lot of penalties BUT has excellent penalty kill.
                        Can we get a shorthanded goal?
                        Seven Freshmen although at this point in the season, everyone is a vet so it does not matter.
                        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-16-2015, 05:32 PM.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Needless to say, tonight's long-in-coming home game wasn't worth the wait in the end.

Here's the postgame audio -

Rick Bennett - http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...postgame-11615

Charlie Vasaturo - http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...postgame-11615

Cornell coach Mike Schafer and goalie Mitch Gillam: http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...h-gillam-11615

Comment

Nothing to add. We were not competing tonight. Went across the blue line with the puck a handful of times, the rest are dump and chase that lead to nowhere.
                            We need to figure out how to get the puck in the offensive zone. Until then, I don't see anything changing.
                            Still very unsure about Eli. No precise passes, not great stick technique... probably my biggest disappointment this year so far. I'd move him out of the line and put Bennet in and see what happens. I feel like he can use his size better.
                            Hoping for better things tomorrow.
                            Let's go Union !
                            ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                            ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                            NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              In his comments he said it had nothing to with the hockey team. That still leaves it open about whether it had something to do with hockey in general or the coach in particular. Bennett didn't do himself any favors with his petulant response, but we well know that coaches sometimes say stuff that is intended for an impact with the team, regardless of how it seems to the outside.

Shier's dad was a Cornell legend and I wouldn't mind at all if he gave us a shot, but from everything I've read it seems like he'll wind up in CIS.
                              I remember Peter Shier as part of the really loaded Cornell teams of late 70's. He had quite a shot from the point. (Lance Nethery was other-worldly. Somehow his skills never translated to the NHL.)
                              Last edited by fr. joe; 01-16-2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Kudos to Cornell. Not as much dissappointed with us as impressed with Cornell. Their defense took away all time and space, won all the one-on-ones. Cornell reminds me how we used to play before we became more offensive minded. Looks like we are a road team this year.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X