Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

In fairness, BU is not close to number one. They won't even win Hockey East
    They are though top 15.

Comment

Originally posted by UFan View Post
      Alex really needs to watch the tapes of his past 2 games
      As you point out the same lost rebound occurred in Philidelphia to Stevens. In Alex's defense, if you look at the replay of the goals, you will see some of our defenders were out of position and not limiting time and space in front of the goal. I think the second BU goal might have actually come off of Taylor. I like Alex and when he is aware he is going to start and has time to mentally prepare, I don't believe that we give up anything. I also believe there is an upside to Alex. If he had more game time would he be able to improve? The key for me is that everyone played for 60 minutes. Remember what Wilkins said .... if we play for 60 minutes, we can beat anyone .... He was not saying that we alwasy will, just that we can.

Being at the game I got a chance to look at specific players and was not dependent on the TV camera's. I was very impressed with Eli. He did not score but took a few shots and they were enourmous blasts that rocked the BU goalie. He was skating very well and was all over the ice. Kudo's to Ciampini and Vecchione.

Princeton plays very well at home. Harvard and Q just got by them. We are going to need to bring it to everyone of the next 14
      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-05-2015, 10:15 AM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        They should be in Atlantic Hockey League.
        RPI sucks
        I have been thinking a lot about this post by Hokydad and I have come to realize there is a great deal of truth in it.

First the part about RPI sucks. RPI is 58 out of 59th (1.55) in Team Offense (NCAA DI) but if you take out the first Union Game and the six goals they scored, they would be dead last in all of College Hockey. Certainly when you're dead last you really suck! That's a no-brainer. RPI is on an 8 game losing streak. Clearly when you're on an 8 game losing streak you really suck! In RPIs last 8 games they are 1.38 AGF and 4.38 AGA. This is a spread of three goals. Clearly when you are losing all your games, and the Delta on average is three points, you really suck! big time. So clearly from my recent perspective you have got to admit that Hokydad is right on the money. RPI SUCKS !!!! I guess you could also make the case that RPI has been shut out 6 times and got swept at home by Bentley. They are 6-15-1 which is .295. Brown wiped the floor with them. They get worse each week. Princeton will defeat them this weekend. However this is all subjective and could happen to any team having a bad run.

Hokydad also makes the case that RPI belongs in the Atlantic Hockey (Asociation) league. At first I did not see the justification for this but the more I thought about it the more I realized again that he is right on the money. The teams in the American hockey league have in general the worst nonconference record in all hockey. They do not do well in general as a group when competing outside of their conference. When they do schedule a lot of non-conference games they have a lot of nonconference losses. This of course, prevents the AHA from sending many teams to the NCAA's. RPI fits into this environment because they have had 10 nonconference losses. Worse of all, their 10 non-conference loses represent nearly 25% of the ECAC out of conference losses thus far and has destroyed the leagues chances of sending more that 2-3 to the NCAA's. Also the Atlantic Hockey Association is looking to replace Connecticut. I see a match made in heaven

So all in all Hokydad is right again.

It's also possible that this year could end being one of the worse in RPIs hockey programs history !!! We will have to see.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-05-2015, 08:46 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

The yo-yo season continues, with a very good performance against a top team after the debacle in Connecticut. That was a really fun game to watch (except for some of the officiating ). Those two PP goals in the 3rd period were things of beauty. BU is one of the fastest teams I've seen in a while and the boys did a really good disciplined job of staying with them through the neutral zone and not getting caught up ice too much. Is nice to see they can do that, but now comes the trick of doing it consistently. Still waiting for the 3rd and 4th lines to contribute anything offensively, but overall a terrific effort. Great to see Vecks have such a good game in front of a more hometown crowd. Have to believe that a game like that, and it being televised, can only help with recruiting in eastern Mass.

Alex misplayed the 1st goal, but the 2nd really can't be blamed on him. The puck came in very high and was deflected down.. any goalie will tell you that is a very very tough save to make. There is no simple positioning that works for every possibility in that situation - go down & the puck could go over you, stay up and it gets deflected down. Overall I though Alex was excellent and gave the team a chance to win with several outstanding saves. If Henry hadn't got an "interference" penalty for checking the puck carrier.. well..

As for RPI, they've owned Union so far this season so be careful what you wish for.
          Last edited by ADK11; 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Daniel Ciampini (Player of the Month) and Ryan Scarfo (Rookie of the Month) earned ECAC Hockey honors today.

Comment

In fairness, BU is not close to number one. They won't even win Hockey East
              They are though top 15.
              Let me know who deserves #1 ranking because I sure don't know. I do think Union could beat anyone in the top ten this year.

Comment

I agree about Union

I do know another thing, BU is not the best team in the country. Not close

Comment

I forgot, RPI sucks

Comment

GREAT JOB DUTCHMEN FANS:
                    At the BU Game in Agganis our fans were so plentiful and so loud that the NBC announcers thought they were in Schenectady. http://youtu.be/7wI06rXUd70?list=FLg...nlCyMJPxcUYL5w Please go to 7:32 - 7:56 .... announcers "Are we in Schenectady .. or ... where are we?"

Nice Work !!!!!

http://youtu.be/7wI06rXUd70?list=FLg...nlCyMJPxcUYL5w
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 01-07-2015, 08:06 PM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I forgot, RPI sucks
                      I don't want to "beat a dead horse" and I do not wish them ill, but I just went back through the RPI season records for every single season since RPI has been playing College Hockey, i.e. 1901. This weekend RPI has a chance to tie a program record for most consecutive men's hockey loses in school history !!!! They currently have 8.

Records since 1901 - most consecutive loses in a season:
                      2002 - 2003 - 7 consecutive loses
                      2011 - 2012 - 8 consecutive loses 8th place ECAC & 7-12-3 12-24-1
                      1965 - 1966 - 9 consecutive loses
                      2007 - 2008 -10 consecutive loses 10th place ECAC & 6-13-3 11-23-4

I cannot imagine that RPI will be swept this weekend and will probably rebound in a big way. However, if they drop them both ... they are headed into the record books.
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-07-2015, 08:05 PM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Let's get some points this weekend and then get to Messa, it's been a long eight weeks.
                        Union College Hockey
                        2014 NCAA National Champions
                        2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          I don't want to "beat a dead horse" and I do not wish them ill, but I just went back through the RPI season records for every single season since RPI has been playing College Hockey, i.e. 1901. This weekend RPI has a chance to tie a program record for most consecutive men's hockey loses in school history !!!! They currently have 8.

Records since 1901 - most consecutive loses in a season:
                          2002 - 2003 - 7 consecutive loses
                          2011 - 2012 - 8 consecutive loses 8th place ECAC & 7-12-3 12-24-1
                          1965 - 1966 - 9 consecutive loses
                          2007 - 2008 -10 consecutive loses 10th place ECAC & 6-13-3 11-23-4

I cannot imagine that RPI will be swept this weekend and will probably rebound in a big way. However, if they drop them both ... they are headed into the record books.

If anyone can do it Eddie Haskell can!!

Him and that steller senior class!!

Comment

EASY-AC

If the selection where made today, the ECAC would send 1 team to NCAA tournament, Harvard. This assumes Harvard wins the league and wins the tournament. In looking at the top 15 teams, and the competition they face vs. the coming competition in the ECAC, I cannot see any ECAC teams climbing fast enough to make it into the top 15. As a matter of fact, our teams could go in the opposite direction. Back in the days of the EASY-AC conventional wisdom was .... the way to make it to the NCAAs was through easier league play, building up a resume and / or winning the tournament. Those fans and coaches that still believe this are in for a big disappointment this year.

I am not disappointed in the Dutchmen (24) by the way. We are about where I expected us to be at this point.

Teams like St. Cloud are only 7-10 but tied with us (25) in the pairwise. A tough non-conference schedule and some wins. Now, if they nail some league wins they might make it. Robert Morris is there too (26) at 12-4-4. The AHA is just not competitive enough. No AHA team is going to make it on its own. You have to look at non-conference games with the same level of criticality as conference games if you expect to still be standing in March. The Union, Yale, Colgate, Cornell, Q coaches all know this because they have said as much. You have to schedule and win some quality non-conference games BEFORE league play or run the table in league play and if you think you are going to do it this year in the ECAC .... you need to get back on your meds.

This year with the tournament in Boston, it would be nice to have the ECAC present and accounted for. I hope that whatever ECAC team(s) make it to the NCAAs they go deep. I am just not optimistic. We may be heading back to the EASY-AC. If we are, its our own doing. As a league, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Our non-conference record in December was horrible and put us down with the AHA folks in out of conference winning percentage.

Maybe 2015-2016.
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 01-09-2015, 05:10 AM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              EASY-AC

If the selection where made today, the ECAC would send 1 team to NCAA tournament, Harvard. This assumes Harvard wins the league and wins the tournament. In looking at the top 15 teams, and the competition they face vs. the coming competition in the ECAC, I cannot see any ECAC teams climbing fast enough to make it into the top 15. As a matter of fact, our teams could go in the opposite direction. Back in the days of the EASY-AC conventional wisdom was .... the way to make it to the NCAAs was through easier league play, building up a resume and / or winning the tournament. Those fans and coaches that still believe this are in for a big disappointment this year.

I am not disappointed in the Dutchmen (24) by the way. We are about where I expected us to be at this point.

Teams like St. Cloud are only 7-10 but tied with us (25) in the pairwise. A tough non-conference schedule and some wins. Now, if they nail some league wins they might make it. Robert Morris is there too (26) at 12-4-4. The AHA is just not competitive enough. No AHA team is going to make it on its own. You have to look at non-conference games with the same level of criticality as conference games if you expect to still be standing in March. The Union, Yale, Colgate, Cornell, Q coaches all know this because they have said as much. You have to schedule and win some quality non-conference games BEFORE league play or run the table in league play and if you think you are going to do it this year in the ECAC .... you need to get back on your meds.

This year with the tournament in Boston, it would be nice to have the ECAC present and accounted for. I hope that whatever ECAC team(s) make it to the NCAAs they go deep. I am just not optimistic. We may be heading back to the EASY-AC. If we are, its our own doing. As a league, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Our non-conference record in December was horrible and put us down with the AHA folks in out of conference winning percentage.

Maybe 2015-2016.
                              Although you certainly could be right, with ECAC teams sitting 16, 17, and 18, at least one is likely to move up while someone from another league will fall.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                GREAT JOB DUTCHMEN FANS:
                                At the BU Game in Agganis our fans were so plentiful and so loud that the NBC announcers thought they were in Schenectady. http://youtu.be/7wI06rXUd70?list=FLg...nlCyMJPxcUYL5w Please go to 7:32 - 7:56 .... announcers "Are we in Schenectady .. or ... where are we?"

Nice Work !!!!!

http://youtu.be/7wI06rXUd70?list=FLg...nlCyMJPxcUYL5w
                                It was awesome being at that game. Sections 104, 105, and 106 were all Union fans with plenty of others spread out throughout the arena. Great showing.
                                LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Working...
                                X