Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Here's a feature I put together on Tyler Hynes and his long journey to Union: http://t.co/Rav7z7jgy5

As a side note, Rick Bennett said today that freshman forward Ryan Scarfo (lower-body) will be a "gametime decision" tomorrow. He has been practicing, so it doesn't seem like a return is that far off. Scarfo missed the exhibition against UPEI last Sunday.
    Last edited by rdf8585; 10-09-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      uniondutch21:

I can attest to the quality of the video, but only as compared to last year and only from the perspective of my setup. What I am experiencing may not be what you will experience since much depends on your network, graphics, memory, processor speed, browser, version of adobe flash and whether you are using wireless. So, I might see great improvement from last year but that only brings us to a level of what you might expect from a high school video setup. I am on the board of directors of my local cable TV station and I can tell you that it is about that level, which is not that bad and definitely worth the $80.00. Regardless, what you see or experience watching the live feed, which may depend on a great many things, the archive version is complete and appears to play back very well. That is another improvement over last year.

You will need Adobe Flash Player or be able to run HTML5. Easy to download
      Firefox is the recommended browser but I run on Chrome just fine.
      The streaming speed is 600-800 kbps (1-2 mbps) so you are going to want a direct cable connection or a high speed wireless connection that is not shared.
      If you have a slow speed wireless connection the choppy video/audio may be due to the network and not the feed.

I have a new multi core DELL Desktop Server with solid state disks and a hardwired cable connection and ultra high speed graphics.

The big improvement I see is a result of the lighting. Shooting live action video in low light conditions, like old Achilles, or a friday night football game, requires a professional grade video camera with a very large CCD to capture the light. My guess is that we have probably not improved on the more "consumer grade" camera we were using. A modern professional grade camera is $5,000 to $30,000 and a pro-consumer is maybe $2,500 to $5,000. Not a whole lot of difference EXCEPT the professional grade camera has a much better bigger (area) lens and is capable of shooting in low light conditions. HD can mean 720 or 1080 or 1280 or 1440 or 1920 and progressive or interlaced. My guess is what I am seeing is 720. High-definition video is video of higher resolution and quality than standard-definition. While there is no standardized meaning for high-definition, generally any video image with more than 480 horizontal lines (North America) or 576 lines is considered HD. So we are using, my guess, the lowest end of HD. However, it probably would not help us to use a better camera since we may be bound by the bandwidth to the server where we send the video. In other words, if we had a better camera, we would have to dial it down to the lowest setting anyway.

Common high-definition video modes[edit]
      Video mode Frame size in pixels (W×H) Pixels per image1 Scanning type Frame rate (Hz)
      720p 1,280×720 921,600 Progressive 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60, 72
      1080i 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Interlaced 25 (50 fields/s), 29.97 (59.94 fields/s), 30 (60 fields/s)
      1080p 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Progressive 24 (23.976), 25, 30 (29.97), 50, 60 (59.94)
      1440p 2,560×1,440 3,686,400 Progressive 24 (23.976), 25, 30 (29.97), 50, 60 (59.94)

The camera feed is going to go to a sever somewhere (Atlanta, I think) and therefore it does not advantage us to use a higher speed, higher resolution camera if the leased lines we use going to the server are only capable of streaming at a fixed speed.

Compared to last year. I am very pleased with the improvement. The live audio was very spotty but the archive version sounds fine so for the $80.00 you can go back and see past games which is nice. Also, the archive was available right after the game which was an improvement over last year as well.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I use my corporate issue Dell, runs all the latest flash etc and we have pretty quick internet ~20Mbps. Was interested in live streams only.

We need what St Cloud has...and sideline reporters!

Will probably spend the $$. I think i spent $50 last year on the bigger away games. RPITV is pretty solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        So long as no laws were broken and no one harmed or injured which I can only assume is the case, then I think we need to let it lie there and allow this "family" to sort through this privately and confidentially.
        I agree with this.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
          Thanks. I use my corporate issue Dell, runs all the latest flash etc and we have pretty quick internet ~20Mbps. Was interested in live streams only.

We need what St Cloud has...and sideline reporters!

Will probably spend the $$. I think i spent $50 last year on the bigger away games. RPITV is pretty solid.
          Stick closer to home. WTOP in Oswego. They blow most D-I broadcasts out of the water.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            Jesus doesnt love ugly and haterd. You are that and liar.
            wow Hokey. Apparently you have never read anything you have posted, or the rep that you send people. What a hypocrite.
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Tonight's lines:

Comment

It was not pretty .... SOG for AIC, 11 period 1, 8 period 2 and 4 period 3. Steven made some great saves. We got some talented frosh but its going to take time.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

R.Bennett postgame: http://t.co/5DERKNNz81

Roy, Henry, Vecchione postgame: http://t.co/svNGsfDg6n

Comment

It was nice to see the freshman start off their college careers with a bang. They combined for a goal and five assists. Spencer Foo had the goal, while the assists went Tyler Hynes, Roman Ammirato, Nick DeSimone and JC Brassard (2). Though he didn't get a point, freshman Kevin Shier also impressed. Freshman Ryan Scarfo went 9-for-10 on faceoffs.

David Roy had a nice game with three assists (a career-high). He has a nice window to take advantage of some extra playing time with the three suspended.

The pre-game ceremony was fantastic. It was great to see Mat Bodie, Shayne Gostisbehere and Cole Ikkala back (and many others who I'm forgetting). I wasn't sure how the banner was going to go up, but bringing the scoreboard down and raising from underneath it was a nice touch. It was certainly a few moments none of us will soon forget.
                    Last edited by rdf8585; 10-11-2014, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Video of banner ceremony (audio, at times, isn't great) - http://t.co/QMM2L9SUgK
                      Spencer Foo's first Union goal - http://t.co/eSvowwbI3p
                      Recap: http://t.co/7DPjGN3Akd

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                        It was nice to see the freshman start off their college careers with a bang. They combined for a goal and five assists. Spencer Foo had the goal, while the assists went Tyler Hynes, Roman Ammirato, Nick DeSimone and JC Brassard (2). Though he didn't get a point, freshman Kevin Shier also impressed. Freshman Ryan Scarfo went 9-for-10 on faceoffs.

David Roy had a nice game with three assists (a career-high). He has a nice window to take advantage of some extra playing time with the three suspended.

The pre-game ceremony was fantastic. It was great to see Mat Bodie, Shayne Gostisbehere and Cole Ikkala back (and many others who I'm forgetting). I wasn't sure how the banner was going to go up, but bringing the scoreboard down and raising from underneath it was a nice touch. It was certainly a few moments none of us will soon forget.
                        Congratulations Union Fans! See you and your banner at your house tonight!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The banner raisings made it difficult for me to concentrate on watching the game, even after 6 months, it was surreal to me to see that National Championship banner lifted to the rafters. It's something I never expected to see happen yet there it is.

I think the team may have had a similar reaction and lack of concentration as the game unfolded in helter skelter fashion and really ended up a lot closer than the score. Noah Henry acknowledged that it was a tough adjustment especially for the freshmen to get the jitters out of the way. A couple of conclusions I drew from the game. First, credit to AIC for a hard fought contest. Second, we have some talented freshmen but they are at the beginning of a steep learning curve. I really like what I've seen so far particularly from Foo, Ammarato, Shier and Hynes. Let's not forget that Brassard came in a year early, straight from preps, not unlike Ghost who was also a bit raw when he came in his first year. Once they get the hang of it, I think this group is going to leave a big mark on the program. There was a lot of running around on D, too many no look and fancy passes, and not enough Union style physical play until the third period. I don't think this team will have trouble scoring, but the defense will have to tighten up and keep it simple. Look for Captain Charlie, Taylor and Gingras to steady the ship with the youngsters. I think there are going to be some rough patches, maybe starting tonight, but there will also be some very good hockey down the road once the systems are fully bought into. Let's not forget the steadying influence that the 3 MIAs will provide when they return.
                          Last edited by Wholin1; 10-11-2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

No line changes tonight against UNH.

Comment

Dear Union Online Stream Cameraman,

You s&$k.

*rolls eyes*

Comment

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
                                Dear Union Online Stream Cameraman,

You s&$k.

*rolls eyes*
                                Their radio coverage is even worse; they barely even cover the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X