Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Looking over the ECAC at this point, I still believe that I am correct in my assumption that the league is stronger than it was last year. This is due in part to a stronger group of IVY's, as a whole. The competition within the league should get pretty savage in the coming weeks. The question is, will this lead to more ECAC teams making the NCAA's than in previous years. I believe the answer is no. I believe that we will end up with the usual 2-3 teams. The problem is our out of conference performance. Don't get me wrong, our out of conference performence is good, just not good enought to land perhaps a 4th team. We are (just barely) the second best team to the NCHC. However, the sample size is for the most part is too small to draw any conclusion. We are 35-27-4 OOC (Not counting OOC against league opponents) and 17-9-2 against HE.

If I counted correctly, here are the ECAC teams that are helping our OOC record. I am including here OOC results where the team was also a league opponent.

Who is helping > or = .500 in OOC
    For these 9 teams 31-14-3
    HARVARD 4-0-0
    DARTMOUTH 2-0-0
    UNION 6-2-0
    BROWN 2-1-0
    COLGATE 6-3-0
    YALE 2-1-0
    St. LAWRENCE 4-3-1
    QUINNIPIAC 4-3-1
    CORNELL 1-1-1

Who is not helping < .500 in OOC
    For these three teams 5-13-4
    PRINCETON 1-2-1
    CLARKSON 2-4-2
    RPI 2-7-1

The next 6 weeks will close out much of the OOC competition. If you or your team has an opportunity to knock off an OOC opponent (especially a NCHC opponent, like Denver) it would be greatly appreciated if you did so.

The only non-conference this week are Cornell hosting DU (2) and Colgate at Providence. Wishing both those teams good fortune. We need the wins !!!!
    Last edited by Dutchman; 12-04-2014, 09:38 AM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      Hey if the rest of the league or others want to write us off, that's fine with me but they do so at their own peril. This team is deep in talent and the ability of our coach and his staff is self evident. What we are short on at this point is to a certain extent, experience and possibly team leadership. Those are areas where development can very well take place. Let's wait and see.
      Hope you're right, but I still think there are too many holes and not enough experience on this team for it to all come together like we have seen in the last 4-5 seasons. The depth of scoring just isn't there this season. Right now there are only 5 players that look like they will break 20 points. Last season there were 11 and on any given night the 3rd & 4th lines were contributors. Not to single out anyone, but Pontarelli, Eli and Wilkins have taken a step back offensively and only Foo is significantly contributing among the freshmen. Cruice & Roy have pretty much disappeared from both the scoresheet and the lineup. It seems obvious that some players greatly benefited from the extra puck possession that U enjoyed last season with all the seniors, and especially Bodie & Ghost. The team is still good when they have the puck and are moving it & their feet, but there are long stretches now when they don’t have the puck and don’t seem able to get it back. Maybe some of this can be coached, but I think it’s mostly just an experience thing and loss of skill level.

I didn't see any of Saturday's game and am curious about what people who saw it thought, but it sounded to me like U got out-jumped right off the bat and the goaltending couldn’t bail them out like it had before. Rest of the game was probably just trying to open it up and get goals, which only led to more chances for WMU. I could understand the team wearing down in the 2nd & 3rd periods but surprised they got blown out in the first period. To me the most shocking stat, in a sea of bad stats from that game, is the 5 PP goals allowed! In some seasons past it could take over a month for U to allow that many. The PK and team defense are not good and really seem to miss players like Hatch, Ikky, Carr, etc. Lots of things need to be fixed and two teams on the road that give U different kinds of problems. At this point, a split would be considered a good weekend..
      Last edited by ADK11; 12-04-2014, 07:32 PM.
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Union got a lot of shots but goaltending was poor, defense was poor, and PK was miserable. Team also took too many bad penalties. Other than that, they were great! DeSimone was unavailable vs. Notre Dame, Light unavailable vs. Western Michigan, and team is fighting more injuries. I think the freshman group has been good (esp. Foo, Brassard, and DeSimone). The guys we counted on have played below expectations (with exception of Vecchione and Taylor).

Comment

Just some oberservations and maybe why our expectations for this team are too high. I am not saying that they will not exceed expectations. Lets see how they develop.

Our WINS ... not exactly against powerhouses.
          American International is currently tied for 10th (last) in the AHA 2-9-2
          New Hampshire is currently tied for 11th (last) in HE 4-8-0
          Maine (2) is in 10th place in HE 4-9-0
          St. Cloud is in 6th place in the NCHC 6-7-1
          Notre Dame is in 6th in HE with a record of 6-8-2
          Princeton is in 11th in ECAC with a record of 2-7-1

As you can see, none of the teams we beat is currently ranked (top 20). Most are at or near the bottom of their conferences. Our pairwise reflects this as well.

Our 5-0 start really set the wrong expectations. The only way we were going to contest again for a championship was if the upperclassmen all stepped up to the next level and carried the team until the freshmen could come up to speed playing Union College Hockey. That was a long shot to begin with. We also expected that we had rock solid goaltending. It certainly looked that way up until the RPI blowout #1. Then we had the 4 goal Dartmouth come from behind late in the 2nd blowout #2 and the WM blowout #3 (4 goals in 12 shots) all the first 16 minutes.

Maybe our expectations for this team are just too high, and especially goal tending. Maybe our expectations should be .500 and anything better, a cause for massive celebration. Definitely the team is dangerous and I don't expect anyone to take us lightly. I am not giving up. I believe we do have some excellent hockey players and I believe that many are trying their hardest. I believe we have great coaching. What we want now is slow and consistent improvement.
          Last edited by Dutchman; 12-05-2014, 05:39 AM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Union should beat Brown. Union can beat Yale. Four points this weekend would staunch the bleeding. Lots has been said about expectations for this club. The magic of last season has given way to a, thus far, pedestrian record. Yet there is still much hockey to be played. The Dutchmen can still acquit themselves with a few impressive wins. My money is on RB and his boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
              Union should beat Brown. Union can beat Yale. Four points this weekend would staunch the bleeding. Lots has been said about expectations for this club. The magic of last season has given way to a, thus far, pedestrian record. Yet there is still much hockey to be played. The Dutchmen can still acquit themselves with a few impressive wins. My money is on RB and his boys.
              It looks like in order for Union to make the NCAA's they are going to need to get the automatic bid. And it may take that long for the team to come together, if they do at all. That said, I think its clear that the goaltending is not nearly as good as it has been in years past - Stevens is good but not great, especially compared to Groesnick or Kincaid. We miss Ghost on the PP, but who wouldn't? Time for Coach B. to earn his cash and coach these guys up! Hope it starts with a sweep this weekend.

Comment

The Brown Daily Herald
                http://www.browndailyherald.com/2014...t-mens-hockey/
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Lines -

Comment

Big Line-up tonight

David Roy 6'4"
                    Eli 6'6"
                    Connor Light 6'5"
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

rdf8585 - Can you post lines for Brown if you have them?

Comment

Mike:
                        This should be it
                        pic.***********/4fUHDEbI25
                        http://t.co/4fUHDEbI25
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Why does Vech have an A on his crest? Was somebody stripped of their captain duties?
                          Union College Hockey
                          2014 NCAA National Champions
                          2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Brown is easily the worst team in the ECAC. The dirty hit by Corcoran should also warrant a hefty suspension. There's no reason to deliver a hit like that when you're getting blown out 5-0. I hope Pontarelli has a speedy recovery.
                            Last edited by UnionFan4Life; 12-05-2014, 08:12 PM.
                            Union College Hockey
                            2014 NCAA National Champions
                            2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Seven Different Scorers? .... that feels good !!!
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                                Brown is easily the worst team in the ECAC. The dirty hit by Corcoran should also warrant a hefty suspension. There's no reason to deliver a hit like that when you're getting blown out 5-0. I hope Pontarelli has a speedy recovery.
                                Agreed, looks like they've reverted back to the Brown of old. Corcoran got a DQ according to the radio guys, wouldn't be surprised if he picked up an additional game when the league reviews it. Hopefully Ponts is not too banged up, same for Stevens who looked like he was laboring all night even before he got run into by Lamacchia late in the second.

Yale will be a better measuring stick tomorrow, looking forward to seeing if we can carry on the momentum from tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X