Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Is it just me or does it seem that everyone is beating everyone this season? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to results.

Comment

I agree with you.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        Is it just me or does it seem that everyone is beating everyone this season? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to results.
        What we all want to see is improvement ..... win or lose ... are things getting better. You cannot always see that with injuries like what Colgate is facing. Everyone wants to be ready for league play come early or mid January. There is a great deal of parity. I saw the second game, Princeton vs Michigan State, and the outcome was still in doubt with 2 seconds to go. In the ECAC and HE there is a great deal of parity because BC and to a lesser extent Cornell are not the dominent forces (not counting Cornell out just yet, saw them vs Penn State ... if they get some offense ... watch out.) Things will get sorted out in January and we will see leaders emerge ...... Harvard reminds me a lot of us from last year. Lots of leaders not willing to accept defeat as a possibility and with the skills and speed and size to back it up. My worry is that without consistent goal tending we are sunk. We don't have the defense this year to carry the goal tender when he (they) are having a "bad hair" day. Don't want to sound defeatist. I picked the Dutchmen to finish 6th and saw making it to Lake Placid as a stretch goal .... I still think that is on target.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I can't shake the feeling that not everyone on the team is trying. There seems to be players that are consistently trying, never letting go. And the others that are just hanging out half the time. It's hard to watch and I feel bad for the ones that try.
          I'm expecting RB to be swapping players around next week on certain lines, mostly on the offense. I don't think the adjustment needs to be huge, but one player on a line makes a huge difference; when 30% of the line doesn't show up, it's a big disadvantage.
          GO U !!! We need more some serious points next week !
          Let's go Union !
          ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
          ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
          NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

For the first time in I don't know how long, Union has fallen from the top 20 in the USCHO poll and IMO deservedly so at this point in the season. Just further confirmation of what has become apparent, this is a different team, but not necessarily one that can't or won't improve.

Comment

Three Things I Think: ECAC 12/1
              Posted by: Josh Seguin
              http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...hink-ecac-121/

"After a strong start Union has struggled to find consistency in recent weeks. The Dutchmen started the season 5-0-0, but have since proceeded 2-6-1 since. The main difference has been a less than stellar defense and goaltending that has been inconsistent. For Union, this is all new as it has come back to earth after all those streaks they had were shattered against St Cloud on October, 25th. For a team that looked so good to begin the season, its demise in recent weeks has been mind boggling."

As they say .... the "Bloom is off the rose"
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Seven of the top 23 teams in the pairwise (USCHO) are ECAC .... almost a third. Only 4 are HE.
                Last edited by Dutchman; 12-02-2014, 09:46 AM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Three Things I Think: ECAC 12/1
                  Posted by: Josh Seguin
                  http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...hink-ecac-121/

"After a strong start Union has struggled to find consistency in recent weeks. The Dutchmen started the season 5-0-0, but have since proceeded 2-6-1 since. The main difference has been a less than stellar defense and goaltending that has been inconsistent. For Union, this is all new as it has come back to earth after all those streaks they had were shattered against St Cloud on October, 25th. For a team that looked so good to begin the season, its demise in recent weeks has been mind boggling."

As they say .... the "Bloom is off the rose"
                  Hey if the rest of the league or others want to write us off, that's fine with me but they do so at their own peril. This team is deep in talent and the ability of our coach and his staff is self evident. What we are short on at this point is to a certain extent, experience and possibly team leadership. Those are areas where development can very well take place. Let's wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    Hey if the rest of the league or others want to write us off, that's fine with me but they do so at their own peril. This team is deep in talent and the ability of our coach and his staff is self evident. What we are short on at this point is to a certain extent, experience and possibly team leadership. Those are areas where development can very well take place. Let's wait and see.
                    Well said, watch out when we get that experience under our belt.
                    Union College Hockey
                    2014 NCAA National Champions
                    2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Josh Jooris became the first former Union player to record a hat trick in the NHL on Tuesday. He scored three goals for the Calgary Flames in their 5-2 win over Arizona.

See all three goals at: http://bit.ly/1BbXmvj

Comment

This is a crazy year for College Hockey ..... everything is upside down.

Last year the bottom 4 teams in the ECAC were all IVY's and the non-IVY's plus Cornell carried the load into Lake Placid and Union, Colgate and Q into the NCAA Tournament. I wonder if this will be reversed? I know its way to early to speculate on such things but the IVY league looks very strong. I wonder if this year the top 4 teams end up being IVY. An all IVY Tournament? Harvard, Yale, Cornell and Dartmouth are proving to be very strong. I saw Dartmouth against BU and of course against us. I also saw Cornell against a very good Pennsylvania team. Because of their late start, I don't think we have seen the best of these IVY teams yet. Princeton and Brown will not stay down forever. Add to this a lot of strength in Colgate, St. Lawrence and Q and us if we can get our act together ..... the top 8 in the ECAC all have over .500.

I live in the Boston area where HE rules and rightfully so. BC has dominated College Hockey. It's hard to convince hockey friends that the ECAC is for real when the only ECAC team they see, these past few years is Harvard. To them, Harvard is the ECAC along with the IVY's. Harvard's early success has sent shock ways in the sports media since they would rather be caught dead than cover the ECAC ..... and as Harvard is climbing in the polls, its dragging the rest of the ECAC along with it. Another thing that is helping us is the play of ECAC teams against BU and the best BU team in a long time. We have them in January.

As Wilkins said in an interview a while back ..... "if we play 60 minutes, we can beat anyone" .... we do have some great talent and we are going to be a very dangerous team. We usually don't do well in these tournament thingies .... we have another coming up with Connecticut and UML.

Just recently Minnesota, the best in the west, lost to Northeastern, one of the weakest in the east. Go figure.
                        Last edited by Dutchman; 12-03-2014, 08:30 AM.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Last year the bottom 4 teams in the ECAC were all IVY's and the non-IVY's plus Cornell carried the load into Lake Placid and Union, Colgate and Q into the NCAA Tournament. I wonder if this will be reversed? I know its way to early to speculate on such things but the IVY league looks very strong. I wonder if this year the top 4 teams end up being IVY. An all IVY Tournament? Harvard, Yale, Cornell and Dartmouth are proving to be very strong. I saw Dartmouth against BU and of course against us. I also saw Cornell against a very good Pennsylvania team. Because of their late start, I don't think we have seen the best of these IVY teams yet. Princeton and Brown will not stay down forever. Add to this a lot of strength in Colgate, St. Lawrence and Q and us if we can get our act together ..... the top 8 in the ECAC all have over .500.

I live in the Boston area where HE rules and rightfully so. BC has dominated College Hockey. It's hard to convince hockey friends that the ECAC is for real when the only ECAC team they see, these past few years is Harvard. To them, Harvard is the ECAC along with the IVY's. Harvard's early success has sent shock ways in the sports media since they would rather be caught dead than cover the ECAC ..... and as Harvard is climbing in the polls, its dragging the rest of the ECAC along with it. Another thing that is helping us is the play of ECAC teams against BU and the best BU team in a long time. We have them in January.

As Wilkins said in an interview a while back ..... "if we play 60 minutes, we can beat anyone" .... we do have some great talent and we are going to be a very dangerous team. We usually don't do well in these tournament thingies .... we have another coming up with Connecticut and UML.

Just recently Minnesota, the best in the west, lost to Northeastern, one of the weakest in the east. Go figure.
                          You did? Pennsylvania hasn't had a team since the 70s... Penn State, on the other hand has a team; not sure I'd call them "very good" but compared to the rest of the B1G, they probably are
                          Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                          Clarkson 1990

Comment

Yet at this moment, with all twelve teams having played six league games, four of the top five teams in the league standings are non-Ivy. It could be five of six, but I am too lazy to break the Colgate-Yale tie. http://www.uscho.com/standings/ecac/2014-2015/
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If anyone is interested, I write a small recap of the polls and do my own top 10. You can find it here: http://q30television.com/2014/12/01/...ey-poll-12114/
                              Quinnipiac University '15
                              ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                              ECAC Championship: 2016
                              NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                              NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                              Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Former Union forward Kevin Sullivan scored his first pro goal tonight for the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones. In 12 games with the Cyclones, Sullivan has a goal and five assists.

Comment

Working...
                                X