Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Four of the five losses have "only" been by a goal... so I guess that's glass half full approach right now.

Sorely need to play a full 60... the first 15 minutes of the second were brutal. I don't think Union had one shot on goal during that entire stretch.

On St. Denis' GWG, the best way I heard it after the game was that "it was like he had a red carpet to the net."

Comment

[QUOTE=rdf8585;6039108]Postgame audio:
      Union's Max Novak, Matt Wilkins: http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblo...ostgame-111414

Missed the entire game tonight in total. Just read the score. Pleased to have Max Novak and Matt Wilkins recognized. They are two of my favorite players. The gritty, under the cover page, substance vs style, type of hockey players that IMO have always represented the best of Union College Hockey. Just a reminder that last year, in tight "end of game" situations, we often had both Ghost and Bodie on the ice at the same time and you could not beat that combination to "seal the deal". We still have a lot of hockey to play, we have the makings of a very good team and great coaches and this is one tough league. Still too early to despair. As fans we have been battered and bruised. What we, as fans, need now, is to stay positive, and generate our our own "Spirit and Guts".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vt...OuI_5KtJHh5SJk
      Last edited by Dutchman; 11-15-2014, 06:30 AM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Video of the three Union goals from Friday's 4-3 loss to Quinnipiac -

http://youtu.be/AD0OwMJxXCQ

The first goal was later credited to Daniel Ciampini, who tipped in Spencer Foo's shot.

Comment

The most talked about play on Friday was Travis St. Denis' game-winning goal.

No offsides was called. Should it have been? You be the judge:

http://youtu.be/may3ZJPvqFU
          Last edited by rdf8585; 11-15-2014, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post

That is real close. I honestly think it could have been called but at that point in the game if it's not overly blatant they probably let it go.
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Obviously he was off sides
              Can't though let a guy skate 150 feet to your net and make a move on goalie and do so untouched. He needs to be hit.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                Four of the five losses have "only" been by a goal... so I guess that's glass half full approach right now.

Sorely need to play a full 60... the first 15 minutes of the second were brutal. I don't think Union had one shot on goal during that entire stretch.

On St. Denis' GWG, the best way I heard it after the game was that "it was like he had a red carpet to the net."
                Agreed, second was tough to watch, and QU's top line was awesome all night. Union's got talent but need consistency, and they will be tough to play against.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  Obviously he was off sides
                  Can't though let a guy skate 150 feet to your net and make a move on goalie and do so untouched. He needs to be hit.
                  consistency does not apply to U's defense right now...

Comment

It was way offsides.. I was basically sitting across from that blueline and even the little old lady with cataracts next to me saw it and was yelling. U's players also seemed to letup for a split second, I think waiting for a whistle that never came. The call on Scarfo was pretty brutal too, basically a bigger player hitting a smaller player "too hard". But that is the world of ECAC refs and should take nothing away from the fact that Quinny richly deserved to win that game. I don't know how many posts & crossbars they hit - must have been 4 or 5 - and many other Grade AA chances including multiple breakaways. It easily could have been 5-1 after the 1st and MUCH worse after the 2nd. U did show a lot of guts and played well & carried play for stretches of the game, but were mostly thoroughly outclassed.

And while I never like losing, I'm pretty much fine with that. There were 8 freshmen on the ice last night and only one upperclassmen on the blueline. The radio guys were saying after the game how U's just missing that little extra poise to win these 1 goal games, but I don't agree.. the difference is the loss of exceptional & experienced battle tested players from last season. This team is rebuilding and is mid-level ECAC and NCAA as a whole. There are a couple exceptional players on the team, but there is way too much inexperience on the blueline and not enough depth at forward beyond the top 4 of Vecks, Champ, Novak & Foo. U is in the same boat as a lot of mid-level teams in that they have some strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses. Coaching and continued development during the season may be able to partly correct some of this, but I think for some players they won't be starting to really "get it" until next season or later. With some luck and good goaltending, maybe the team can get close to challenging for top 4 in the league but is also just as likely could be fighting for home ice in 1st round. Hopefully if Gingras, Pontarelli & Cruice get back in the lineup things will start to gel more, but am not sure that will happen.

I am optimistic about the future though. In another season or 2 I think the D-corps will be fantastic and there is a lot of promise up front and with recruits coming in the next couple seasons. Foo is excellent and should only get better with a little more strength. I also really like the potential of Scarfo and Shier, you see short bursts where they look really strong & poised with the puck. Also thought that Brassard had a really good game last night and may have been U's best defenseman. He was quick on his skates and made a lot of really sharp accurate passes. Alex was also very good in goal, despite being left out to dry most of the night, and I think has a bright future. IMO this is going to be a different kind of ride this season..
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Not even close...sad to lose a game that way. Forcing a play at the blue line only works if you are going to call that.
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                        It was way offsides.. I was basically sitting across from that blueline and even the little old lady with cataracts next to me saw it and was yelling. U's players also seemed to letup for a split second, I think waiting for a whistle that never came. The call on Scarfo was pretty brutal too, basically a bigger player hitting a smaller player "too hard". But that is the world of ECAC refs and should take nothing away from the fact that Quinny richly deserved to win that game. I don't know how many posts & crossbars they hit - must have been 4 or 5 - and many other Grade AA chances including multiple breakaways. It easily could have been 5-1 after the 1st and MUCH worse after the 2nd. U did show a lot of guts and played well & carried play for stretches of the game, but were mostly thoroughly outclassed.

And while I never like losing, I'm pretty much fine with that. There were 8 freshmen on the ice last night and only one upperclassmen on the blueline. The radio guys were saying after the game how U's just missing that little extra poise to win these 1 goal games, but I don't agree.. the difference is the loss of exceptional & experienced battle tested players from last season. This team is rebuilding and is mid-level ECAC and NCAA as a whole. There are a couple exceptional players on the team, but there is way too much inexperience on the blueline and not enough depth at forward beyond the top 4 of Vecks, Champ, Novak & Foo. U is in the same boat as a lot of mid-level teams in that they have some strengths, but also some glaring weaknesses. Coaching and continued development during the season may be able to partly correct some of this, but I think for some players they won't be starting to really "get it" until next season or later. With some luck and good goaltending, maybe the team can get close to challenging for top 4 in the league but is also just as likely could be fighting for home ice in 1st round. Hopefully if Gingras, Pontarelli & Cruice get back in the lineup things will start to gel more, but am not sure that will happen.

I am optimistic about the future though. In another season or 2 I think the D-corps will be fantastic and there is a lot of promise up front and with recruits coming in the next couple seasons. Foo is excellent and should only get better with a little more strength. I also really like the potential of Scarfo and Shier, you see short bursts where they look really strong & poised with the puck. Also thought that Brassard had a really good game last night and may have been U's best defenseman. He was quick on his skates and made a lot of really sharp accurate passes. Alex was also very good in goal, despite being left out to dry most of the night, and I think has a bright future. IMO this is going to be a different kind of ride this season..
                        Totally agree. Fans need to be patient. Don't know how many times I've been asked what's wrong with the team this year. I tell them it's a different team, different dynamics.
                        Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Agree with ADK in all aspects of his analysis. A win tonight is mandatory but obviously it's not going to be a walk in the park. Many glaring weaknesses have been exposed but none that in my view cannot be eliminated or drastically reduced over the course of the season. I think it's also a plus that exam break is coming up and then OOC games until the new year. The pause can be a reset for the team and the OOC games through year end an opportunity to get the train back on the tracks as the coaching staff addresses the deficiencies.

I am a bit concerned about Colin who apparently was benched last night for performance related issues. Has he suddenly forgotten how to play? I always felt that with him in peak form he gave us a chance to win every game. We need to get him back to that level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                            Not even close...sad to lose a game that way. Forcing a play at the blue line only works if you are going to call that.
                            They didn't force it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              They didn't force it.
                              Not sure what clip you were watching. Wasn't the greatest effort but there was a forward (Novak) converging on the puck carrier and the D-man poked at it, but the pass was to a player that was already behind him thanks to the offsides. If not offsides, the poke check might have been enough or he may have been able to recover in time to push him behind the net and get better contact.
                              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Novak, Wilkins Postgame Interview:
                                Wilkins "..... play a full 60 minutes ... we can compete with anyone."
                                IMO ... What he was really thinking, but could not say, is that we can "kick the everloving sh^t out of anyone" if we all play for 60 minutes.

Does anyone know if the winner of the Shillelagh Tournament gets a trophy?

The Shillelagh Tournament is a Division I men's college ice hockey tournament hosted annually during the NCAA Division I men's ice hockey season by the Notre Dame Fighting Irish men's ice hockey program.

Can someone take some measurements to see if we have enough room in the trophy case? I hope its not one of those Irish Golf Clubs .... it will never fit. We will need to get another case. Probably should go ahead and order it ....

We are 5-1 OC
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 11-15-2014, 11:06 AM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X