Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

The unhappiest coach of an undefeated team. Got to love RB!

Comment

• Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
      The unhappiest coach of an undefeated team. Got to love RB!

Kind of like Brady after Pats early win, saw reality.... He is not a cheerleader.

Comment

Hynes in for Shier:

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
          Hynes in for Shier:

Is Alex starting in goal tonight?
          Schott - "Alex Sakellaropoulos leads #UnionHockey out on the ice. Apparently, he's starting in goal tonight."
          Max moves to second line as well
          Last edited by Dutchman; 10-25-2014, 05:25 PM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Yes, it appears Alex is starting even though Colin was listed first. Probably just want to give Colin a breather.

Comment

Win lose or draw .... I think its great !!!!
              Last edited by Dutchman; 10-25-2014, 05:45 PM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Got totally outplayed by St. Cloud ... they got the win. They deserved it. Could be just what we needed.
                Alex looked good !!!!

On to the ECAC and league play ....
                Next Stop - 6 league matches, 5 at home
                RPI (2)
                Dartmouth
                Harvard
                QU
                Princeton

We need these 12 points ...... 26 points gets us to a bye and a good shot at Lake Placid ... worse case past 10 years.

Friday at RPI

They are losing but not giving up a lot of goals - if you take away the ENG's they are holding opponents to about 3 goals/game. Their record masks that they have two good goalies.
                Last edited by Dutchman; 10-26-2014, 08:25 AM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Fiirst slice of humble pie in some time. But Union has some goal tending between Stevens & Sak. The frosh look mighty good, too.
                  Over in Troy the "has beens" fell for a second night to the "never weres." Schadenfreude is the perfect post prandial to humble pie. Union should feast on RPI next weekend.

Comment

We can't take stupid penalties, 2/3 of their goals came when we were down a skater. Also, I learned in youth hockey never pass the puck in front of the net. JC should get credited an assist on their 3rd goal. If he puts the puck in the corner, there is a different outcome tonight. The growing pains of a freshman.
                    Union College Hockey
                    2014 NCAA National Champions
                    2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Tough day for the ECAC 1-4
                      Colgate won
                      Union lost by 1
                      Clarkson lost by 1
                      St. Lawrence lost by 1 in OT
                      RPI lost by 4
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Postgame comments from Saturday:

St. Cloud head coach Bob Motzko: http://youtu.be/-2XlJZd47Sk

Rick Bennett: http://youtu.be/V5hd3PcGkTk

Charlie Vasaturo: http://youtu.be/s_TZXFngXoo

Alex Sakellaropoulos: http://youtu.be/nTICFrk9PMo

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                          We can't take stupid penalties, 2/3 of their goals came when we were down a skater. Also, I learned in youth hockey never pass the puck in front of the net. JC should get credited an assist on their 3rd goal. If he puts the puck in the corner, there is a different outcome tonight. The growing pains of a freshman.
                          The outcome would not have been different.. better team won and would have even without that play by JC, but it was brutal. I bet this will be a tough week of practice and may see some lineup changes next weekend.

That being said, amazingly (because I'm usually wrong) this is pretty much where I though the team would be: offense is good to very good, goaltending is very good to excellent (Alex was VG tonight).. and defense is young, inexperienced, a little undersized and makes periodic bad mistakes. JC's mistake tonight can be corrected with coaching & repetition in practice, but their will be more mistakes like this because of the lack of experience with the pace of play in D-1 by the frosh & some of the sophs, who will make up at least 2/3rds of the D on any given night. The coaches quandary is how to handle this best. Last year's team was not always the tightest defensively, but could make up for it with explosive offense. Both Bodie & Ghost at times made horrendous defensive mistakes, but thankfully they were pretty rare and more than madeup for by great plays the other way. Likewise this year, the strength of the D-men is that they are good skaters that handle the puck well, but the underclassmen are not so good without the puck on their sticks. How much rein should they be given to make the offense go without sacrificing on defense is the question, because there really aren't options to add more defensive stoppers, unless somehow Light turns out to be one. I'm concerned about next weekends games as they are setups for overconfidence on Union's part and something to prove on RPI's, who will obviously have nothing to lose by being physical and in U's face.
                          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

As for Brassard's turnover that led to the decisive St. Cloud goal, this is what Rick Bennett said after the game:

“It’s easy to blame JC Brassard for that. It was our other defenseman [Gingras] snoring, not plugged in and losing his man at the net front. That’s where we were tonight, just not plugged in.”

Comment

Recap of Saturday's game: http://bit.ly/1soy6bf

Comment

Got a chance to watch some of the RPI versus Bentley matchup on Friday and Saturday on RPI TV. Bentley is not your average AHA team. I believe they finished second last year in the conference. They returned just about all of their offense.

General observations:

If you take away empty net goals, RPI is not giving up a lot of scoring. Minnesota only scored three goals. RPI has two very good goalies and blasting away from the blue line, you're not gonna get a puck by them. There have been no blowouts. RPI is giving up about three goals per game if you subtract out the empty net goals. The problem right now is that they are not scoring. They have scored 3 goals in the last 5 games. If they solve their scoring problem, they can win a lot of games. Do I think they will solve it?

What was remarkable about those two Bentley games were:

#1. Penalties: RPI was leading the ECAC in penalty minutes per game and ranked in the top 10 in the country. That all changed, and RPI stopped taking penalties. It does not appear to have helped very much. Bentley was a much faster team and scored well on the power play so it was probably to RPI's benefit not to take penalties.
                                #2. SOG: the shot on goal totals for both teams was very low. Bentley made a point of working the puck down low and waiting until they could fire in close to make a shot. They were deliberate.
                                #3. SPEED: RPI looked slow. It was not that they were not trying, I just don't think this is a team of skilled fast skaters. Skilled yes, fast no.
                                #4. BLOCKED SHOTS: While I am not certain of the numbers, it looked like Bentley blocked a lot of RPI shots. Bentley, while not noted as a defensive team, deliberately went to shut RPI down first and score second and was very deliberate in setting up scoring opportunities. Excellent execution of a game plan on Bentley's part.

If I'm correct in what I saw, we should be able to play much of the game in the RPI end. We will need to camp out in front of their goal if we want to get more than 3 goals. Fore-check. Keep the puck in their end. Scrum in front of their goalie. In both games Bentley totally out skated RPI. If we stay out of the penalty box and force RPI to play man even hockey, I think they will have a hard time scoring on us.

ECAC points on the line. We need 26 to be sure to get a first round bye. Time to start collecting.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 10-26-2014, 08:24 AM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X