This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2014-15: Semi-colons make things seem important

Hey math geeks, explain the par to me. Sioux sports says that Michigan tech's rpi ignores the 4 wins over UAA and UAH but the 2 lowest ranked teams they've swept are UAH and LSSU. So why doesn't it exclude the wins over LSSU?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Sioux sports says ...
      See the problem?

Also, when Baby_Huey first came to Anchorage Alaska Hockey bought him a round. He sat in the corner all night long petulantly while the rest of the UAA/MTU fan contingent enjoyed themselves thoroughly. He's was a moody one.
      Last edited by uaafanblog; 12-30-2014, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Updated

The WCHA is 26-25-7. Still barely above 50%.

Alabama-Huntsville (1-4-3):
        @Colorado College (2) Loss 3-2, Loss 4-3
        @Northern Michigan (2) Tie 1-1, Loss 4-1
        @Air Force (2) Win 4-2, Tie 3-3
        @Nebraska-Omaha (2) Loss 2-1, Tie 3-3

Alaska (5-1-0):
        Wisconsin (1) Win 1-0
        Maine (1) Win 5-2
        Air Force (1) Win 4-3
        Penn State (1) Win 4-3
        @Western Michigan (2) Win 1-0, Loss 4-2

Alaska Anchorage (3-1-2):
        Maine (1) Win 3-1
        Wisconsin (1) Win 4-2
        Penn State (1) Tie 3-3
        Air Force (1) Win 4-1
        @Maine (2) Loss 3-1, Tie 3-3

Bemidji State:
        North Dakota home and home Win in Grand Forks 5-1, loss in Bemidji 2-1
        @Minnesota (2) Loss 5-2, Loss 5-3
        St. Cloud (2) Loss 6-3, Win 4-1
        North Star Cup (Duluth, Minnesota/Mankato)

Bowling Green:
        Miami home and home Win in Bowling Green 3-2, loss in Oxford 3-2
        @Clarkson (2) Tie 2-2, Win 5-4
        Ohio State home and home Loss 3-2 in Bowling Green, win 3-2 in Columbus
        Robert Morris home and home

Ferris State (3-5-1):
        Michigan (1) Win 4-3
        @St. Lawrence (2) Win 3-2 (OT), Loss 2-0
        @Michigan State (2) Win 1-0, Loss 4-1
        @Wisconsin (2) Tie 1-1, Loss 5-3
        GLI (2) Loss to Michigan State 2-0, Loss to Michigan Tech 4-2

Lake Superior State (1-6-1):
        @Robert Morris (2) Loss 3-1, Loss 3-0
        @Notre Dame (2) Loss 5-3, Loss 5-1
        @North Dakota (2) Loss 7-4, Loss 3-1
        Florida Classic (2) Tie Cornell 0-0, Win over Notre Dame 2-1

MSU-Mankato:
        @Nebraska-Omaha (2) Loss 5-3, Win 4-2
        Duluth home and home Win 5-4 (OT) in Duluth, Loss 6-2 in Mankato
        Princeton (2) Win 5-0, Cancelled due to Flu
        North Star (Minnesota, Bemidji/Duluth)

Michigan Tech:
        Michigan (2) Win 4-1, Win 6-1
        Duluth (2) Loss 3-1, Win 4-3
        GLI (2) Loss to Michigan 2-1, Win over Ferris State 4-2
        @Wisconsin (2)

Northern Michigan:
        Wisconsin at Green Bay (2) Win 2-0, Win 4-1
        Alabama-Huntsville (2) Tie 1-1, Win 4-1
        @Penn State (2)
        @Duluth (2)
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Special thanks to LSSU on saving face for the WCHA this weekend with a tie and win to earn them a tourney title in Florida this weekend and a win over hockey east!
          Good for them!!!
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            See the problem?
            hey smartass, answer the question or shut up. Sioux Sports has the same RPI value as USCHO and CHN so it isn't the source. Sioux Sports is the only one that provides footnotes that list which games are listed as excluded due to negative effects of victories to their RPI.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Hey math geeks, explain the par to me. Sioux sports says that Michigan tech's rpi ignores the 4 wins over UAA and UAH but the 2 lowest ranked teams they've swept are UAH and LSSU. So why doesn't it exclude the wins over LSSU?
              My (un)educated guess is that LSSU's opponents record is better than UAA and UAH's opponents records, making the overall numbers less weak against MTU than UAA or UAH.

I can't remember, but does Sioux Sports still show the breakdown of how many comparisons each school has won/lost?
              Last edited by aparch; 12-30-2014, 12:27 PM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                My (un)educated guess is that LSSU's opponents record is better than UAA and UAH's opponents records, making the overall numbers less weak against MTU than UAA or UAH.

I can't remember, but does Sioux Sports still show the breakdown of how many comparisons each school has won/lost?
                http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankin...s.php?teamid=4

Comment

Does it take into account at all when in the season the game took place?
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

It looks like I could be wrong, BU's RPI excludes its first 2 games of the season. Im also quite confused at what the current RPI calculation is.

Comment

Correct. LSSU's Opp% is pretty good, which accounts for the difference.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        Correct. LSSU's Opp% is pretty good, which accounts for the difference.
                        So trying to recreate the info SiouxSports.com why can't you do an average of the Completed Contests "Win% vs others" column to get the unadjusted "Opp Win %" from the top? I get 0.5175 vs the 0.5073 listed. Having a hard time confirming whether LSSU games should be excluded if I can't even get over this first hump.

Comment

As far as I know from tinkering with the PWR calculations last year and my experiences with the PWR/RPI for the last 13 years is: it doesn't matter when the teams played each other, the RPI is a pure "numbers" calculation. And thus being a pure "numbers" calculation with weighted bonuses, the LSSU wins improve Tech's RPI where UAA and UAH's wins decrease their RPI.

Up until a few weeks ago, NMU's win against UAH was excluded. But our sweep of Wisconsin has never been excluded.

It's numbers. Sioux Sports isn't out to screw Tech. USCHO's RPI calculation isn't screwing Tech. The NCAA didn't have it out for Tech when the fine tuning of the win bonuses were tweaked for the 2013-14 season. And I'd even go so far as to say that come 11pm on March 21st, the wins against UAA and UAH will help their RPI and this won't be an issue.

*edit* Christ, I'm the one defending the da** PWR/RPI and my team has been on the ass end of a few number calculations in the last decade and a half. 2003 NCAA tournament is what really irks me where Mankato and St. Cloud State got in but NMU didn't still p*sses me off.
                          Last edited by aparch; 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

As far as I know from tinkering with the PWR calculations last year and my experiences with the PWR/RPI for the last 13 years is: it doesn't matter when the teams played each other, the RPI is a pure "numbers" calculation. And thus being a pure "numbers" calculation with weighted bonuses, the LSSU wins improve Tech's RPI where UAA and UAH's wins decrease their RPI.

Up until a few weeks ago, NMU's win against UAH was excluded. But our sweep of Wisconsin has never been excluded.

It's numbers. Sioux Sports isn't out to screw Tech. USCHO's RPI calculation isn't screwing Tech. The NCAA didn't have it out for Tech when the fine tuning of the win bonuses were tweaked for the 2013-14 season. And I'd even go so far as to say that come 11pm on March 21st, the wins against UAA and UAH will help their RPI and this won't be an issue.

*edit* Christ, I'm the one defending the da** PWR/RPI and my team has been on the ass end of a few number calculations in the last decade and a half. 2003 NCAA tournament is what really irks me where Mankato and St. Cloud State got in but NMU didn't still p*sses me off.
                            I never said that, after doing more research into other teams, I noticed BU had its first 2 games excluded. I assume everything is fine, but now I'm to the point of wanting to understand how to calculate to see what effect excluding a win over LSSU has. The fact that my previous understanding and SiouxSports details doesn't allow me to calculate it myself is frustrating. I can't even get close to their numbers for Opp W% or Opp Opp W%.

My initial thought was that they start at the beginning and add each game and see if it positively or negatively impacts the RPI and exclude the negatives, after further review its obvious they go through and remove each game and see what effect it has.

Comment

I never said that, after doing more research into other teams, I noticed BU had its first 2 games excluded. I assume everything is fine, but now I'm to the point of wanting to understand how to calculate to see what effect excluding a win over LSSU has. The fact that my previous understanding and SiouxSports details doesn't allow me to calculate it myself is frustrating. I can't even get close to their numbers for Opp W% or Opp Opp W%.

My initial thought was that they start at the beginning and add each game and see if it positively or negatively impacts the RPI and exclude the negatives, after further review its obvious they go through and remove each game and see what effect it has.
                              Flagdude used to have a simulator for the PWR at wa2aea.com. It looks like he has issues with his website right now. I have it saved to a jump drive somewhere. I'll look for it and try to re-post it this weekend. You *should* be able to tinker with it, eliminate the LSSU games, and run the RPI simulation.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I never said that, ...
                                Hey guess what guys, I think MTU is getting screwed in the PWR ranking simply because they played LSSU first.
                                Depending on rounding errors from the info provided by http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankin...s.php?teamid=4
                                MTU's RPI should be somewhere around 0.0179 points higher when listing an RPI as 0.####, not ##.## as SiouxSports.com does on their PWR page.
                                Michigan Tech would be likely around 4th in the PWR instead of 6th. Not sure how those changes adjust Quality Win Bonuses or anything else...

Anyway, here's the link to Flagdude's RPI simulator:

http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/NCAARPIPWR.zip
                                Here's a sample Excel file that shows the format you need for it to build upon:
                                http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho/NCA...ey20131208.csv

I've tinkered with it for NCAA, and used it to see what it would do for the AHL.

*edit* I haven't gotten down to the nuts and bolts of the simulation program, so the weighted bonuses may not be calculated right.
                                Last edited by aparch; 12-31-2014, 11:32 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X