Notre Dame Hockey 2014-15: The year of the Freshman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Green light means the clock has stopped or end of a period. Red light is not always a goal, and play continues if the goal judge was in error. Watch the reaction of the teams, then look immediately to the ref behind the net. If the ref is pointing down at the net, he's signalling a goal.
    This happens constatnyly at Compton though. There's no doubt that whoever is controlling the lights is doing it wrong. If the ref points and the whistle blows, turn on the red light.
    Boston University 2009 Champs
    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Re: Notre Dame Hockey 2014-15: The year of the Freshman

Does Notre Dame even use a goal judge anymore? Most teams don't bother stationing one behind the net anymore. More important to sell the seat. Goal judges are kind of a waste since their input is unofficial and were rarely if ever consulted by the referees.

How about that Joe Aiken? Those are the kinds of players that deserve to be rewarded by scoring. Game winner no less. Good weekend for Notre Dame. Any time you can get three points against a team with wins or ties against BC, BU, and UML that's a good haul. They have a couple of other good wins on their schedule as well.

It's obvious the team approached these games differently. They actively looked for shots in both games. A couple of players (I'm thinking especially Hinostroza) have still got to get with it, but as a group I am more than happy with their 85 shot output on the weekend, at least 20 more than UConn usually gives up over 2 games.

UConn made Notre Dame pay dearly for a couple of really ill-timed D-man pinches on Friday but other than that it looked like the best effort at home in many games. I'd rather this team take a bit of high risk/high reward approach though, since the way they played in the first half will not get it done. Recognize when it is prudent to join a rush though, which they did not do on Friday. Yesterday was the most complete game all year. The blowout of Niagara was nice, but this was on the road and against a team with a lot of good games under their belt.

We still have at least two games in hand on all the teams in front of us and 3 series left against teams really struggling. After 8 straight graduating classes that enjoyed at least some NCAA tourney success this team is left without a player who has enjoyed a win in the tournament. How about making their own mark as the team that came out of absolutely nowhere to make the NCAAs? I'm not holding my breath (just like I'm not about the improved environment at the CFIA) but I can dream, right?

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
        ...If the ref points and the whistle blows, turn on the red light.
        Not quite. The goal judge immediately turns the red light on whenever he/she believes the puck entered the net. The referee, however, makes the final decision on whether or not a goal was actually scored. (Rule 5-4 Sec 6.) The goal judge is just that, a judge and not just a light switch operator. The rationale is that the speed of the game is such that none of the officials may have been in a position to actually see the puck enter the net, especially on a "bang-bang" play or if the puck trickles behind the goalie, who scoops it back out before the referee can see it. In the old days, the referee would confer with the goal judge verbally if he (the ref) didn't see it go in. These days, it goes to video review. The light signals are supposed to be wired so that the green light automatically turns on (and lock out the red light) when the clock reaches zero, thereby preventing the red light from lighting up once time has expired.

Looking forward to hosting some of you guys and gals at Matthews, the oldest continuously operating ice stadium in the world (and the one on which the Compton design is based), this weekend. If anyone is making a road trip, I'd recommend the Colonnade Hotel on Huntington Ave., which is about a 7-minute walk from the arena. The Sheraton or Hilton at Prudential Center would work too. Ask for the Northeastern rate.
        Last edited by Split-N; 01-19-2015, 09:18 AM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Not quite. The goal judge immediately turns the red light on whenever he/she believes the puck entered the net. The referee, however, makes the final decision on whether or not a goal was actually scored. (Rule 5-4 Sec 6.) The goal judge is just that, a judge and not just a light switch operator.
          Definitely understood, I didn't say anything that conflicts with that. The referees have the final say on what is/isn't a goal. But when the referee is the one who indicates goal, why would the in house scorekeeper (no goal judges) turn on the green light (mid-period, not the automatic end of period). There are no dedicated goal judges down low at Compton, so there really is no longer a scenario where they would turn on the red light without the referees indicating goal. As you said, these days they just consult video review if there was a close play that they ruled no goal on the ice but were unsure about.

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Looking forward to hosting some of you guys and gals at Matthews, the oldest continuously operating ice stadium in the world (and the one on which the Compton design is based), this weekend. If anyone is making a road trip, I'd recommend the Colonnade Hotel on Huntington Ave., which is about a 7-minute walk from the arena. The Sheraton or Hilton at Prudential Center would work too. Ask for the Northeastern rate.
          Wish I could go back, Matthews is always a fun place to watch a hockey game. Except for the pots, pans, horns, etc. Talk about your auditory assaults.
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            but I can dream, right?
            While we are dreaming.... PP at about 8.2% or so I think? 3 straight games with a PPG, and frankly the one with Russo on Sunday was a PPG but doesn't count officially by 2 seconds. As much as we have bashed the PP, maybe there is life.
            And Northeastern has a PK unit around 75% right now. They have started to play really well (only losing 1 of last 8 games) so the PP might play a huge role in the series.

Joe Aiken scoring is just awesome!

Also had first from Wade, first assist by Oslie etc.

Vinnie needs to shoot the puck more and I would think he would score more. So many times he is getting in a good position and then pulls up. I'm not sure why. Still my favorite player but shoot the puck. On the flip side, doesn't he lead the team with assist?

Comment

Originally posted by irishstate View Post
              Vinnie needs to shoot the puck more and I would think he would score more. So many times he is getting in a good position and then pulls up. I'm not sure why. Still my favorite player but shoot the puck. On the flip side, doesn't he lead the team with assist?
              Agreed. After last season, I thought he was a lock to lead the team in scoring (still thought Lucia would lead in goals). I am very happy that Russo is having the year he is, but obviously the experienced (in this case, non-freshmen) need to step it up here in the second half!
              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Agreed. After last season, I thought he was a lock to lead the team in scoring (still thought Lucia would lead in goals). I am very happy that Russo is having the year he is, but obviously the experienced (in this case, non-freshmen) need to step it up here in the second half!
                I think Jackson focused far too much on the last year's graduating class, and not just last year. He played many of them far too many minutes (and has admitted this a couple of times recently) and often let some very poor decisions on the ice slide with nary of second look. As a result none of the upperclassmen have developed well enough into leaders on the ice. You also have a sophomore class that came into this season with barely more experience than the incoming freshmen because of the insane number of minutes guy like Tynan and Johns were getting. Wade, Ostlie and Thomas were hardly given a chance last season, and even some of this year's upper classes suffered similarly. When many of them did dress they were relegated to grocery stick status more often than not. I think one of the huge issues with this team and program is how Jackson has managed the roster the last few seasons.

I hope going forward this will be less of an issue. The minutes played by freshmen this season in total is less than it was in 2010/11. Biilitier leaving is actually a good thing for a couple of reasons. One, if he doesn't want to be here, and be here all in, I say good luck and good bye. Another, it makes the effective size of the class one player smaller. 9 freshmen is still too many though, but better than 10 or 11.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  Wade, Ostlie and Thomas were hardly given a chance last season, and even some of this year's upper classes suffered similarly. When many of them did dress they were relegated to grocery stick status more often than not. I think one of the huge issues with this team and program is how Jackson has managed the roster the last few seasons.
                  Had to look this up. Love it. (well the term, not the reason it had to be used)
                  Agreed, he was obviously trying to squeeze all the talent out of the team and it ultimately hurt us this year. I've been impressed with how Wade's progressed recently; maybe the year of practice benefit them more than we think?

I hope going forward this will be less of an issue. The minutes played by freshmen this season in total is less than it was in 2010/11. Biilitier leaving is actually a good thing for a couple of reasons. One, if he doesn't want to be here, and be here all in, I say good luck and good bye. Another, it makes the effective size of the class one player smaller. 9 freshmen is still too many though, but better than 10 or 11.
                  Also missed this. Losing guys to the OHL always stinks, but your points are good. Having a huge class hurts 4 years down the road if it means that many frosh again.

Do you guys have a good consistent source for info like this? The Observer has a couple hockey articles from time to time, but UND.com would never break "bad news." CHN/USCHO front page, or something more ND specific?
                  Last edited by candycanes99; 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM.
                  Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Do you guys have a good consistent source for info like this? The Observer has a couple hockey articles from time to time, but UND.com would never break "bad news." CHN/USCHO front page, or something more ND specific?
                    For me it's called not having much of a life...

I look for Notre Dame news wherever I think it could be found. SBNation has a pretty decent college hockey section and I used to swear by the Western College Hockey blog that was its forerunner. That may be where I first saw news of Billitier's departure. Twitter accounts of anyone who has ever written or spoken a word about college hockey can come in handy, though as you note the ND sanctioned spots are not the place to go for much of anything "controversial." As if a player leaving could be considered that. The South Bend Tribune doesn't have an in-house reporter covering the team anymore so they can't really break news. Unless it is something big their coverage has dwindled to nothing more than home game stories and an occasional weekly preview article. A couple of us here also are among the residents of NDNation and sometimes you hear things there before anywhere else. One of that site's founders actually posted about the Compton before Notre Dame announced the news of the new arena. I believe a full day before ND made the news public.

Comment

What the hell does Notre Dame need to do to breathe life back into this program? To get it even close to where it was 5 or 6 years ago? None other than Patrick Kane was so impressed with Notre Dame's training facilities that when plans were revealed for a new practice rink for the Blackhawks he expressed hope that the stick handling and shooting practice rooms at the CFIA would be replicated by Chicago.

I also wonder what excuse Jackson will focus on once the season ends. Will he throw players under the bus as he did following 2010 and 2012? Will he continue to blame the inexperience of the roster, inexperience he alone is almost completely responsible for due to his recruiting priorities and the horrible roster management? Will he try to extend by a year the excuse of new buildings to play in since they once again visited a lot of new rinks this season?

Just once I wish the scrutiny that follows the football team around 24-7 would visit the hockey program. But the hockey program operates in near secrecy compared to their football brethren. Despite facilities that rival any NCAA program out there, despite more NHL draft picks than all but 3 schools in all of college hockey, despite a TV contract that assures more national coverage than any other team enjoys, this team is 3 games under .500 and will miss the NCAA tournament. Either find a coach who can get these superstars to perform anywhere close to their potential, or find players who actually appreciate the palace they get to practice and play in. The current crop ain't cutting it.

Comment

The dictionary definition of a eunuch is: a man who has been castrated, especially (in the past) one employed to guard the women's living areas at an oriental court; an ineffectual person.

This team has no balls. I bet if I looked in each player's locker I would find tampons and purses. Maybe some lipstick.

I am ready for a complete change at Notre Dame. Change the coaching staff, change the captains, change the environment at the rink. With all the bells and whistles at their disposal, all the talent (according to NHL scouts) on the ice and all the expectations in the world (at least from this fan), this team has gotten worse. I think back to teams that had less talent (according to NHL scouts) and fewer (actually, zero) bells and whistles, and they were never outworked, never outskated, never outshot. They sometimes lost, but it wasn't for a lack of guts.

This current incarnation that wears the blue and gold is gutless. They are soft. They don't play as a team. They are not "there" for each other. This seems to be a stepping stone on the way to an NHL career. This is a team full of guys who think they don't have to work because they have their futures all sewn up, so why sweat now? Well, I got news for these players. No NHL team wants a soft player. No NHL team wants a lazy player. No NHL team wants a player who can't finish. No NHL team wants a player who is not here for his teammates, but rather is here for himself.

This current incarnation of coaches appears to be as gutless as the players they coach. Bag skate 'em. Punish bonehead plays. Sit lazy players. Strip the captains of their privilege. Do something to show the fans that you care about the outcome of each game. Do something to show me, a teacher, that you, teachers of hockey players, are willing to say, "Well, that didn't work. Let's try something completely different." If you can't admit what you are doing currently isn't working out, then you aren't working out. Change your focus on the type of player you recruit. I teach criminals, drug addicts, "losers" to some people. I could not (and don't want to) teach high achievers. This coaching staff needs to coach lunch pail players--not linen table cloth players.
                        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                          The dictionary definition of a eunuch is: a man who has been castrated, especially (in the past) one employed to guard the women's living areas at an oriental court; an ineffectual person.

This team has no balls. I bet if I looked in each player's locker I would find tampons and purses. Maybe some lipstick.

I am ready for a complete change at Notre Dame. Change the coaching staff, change the captains, change the environment at the rink. With all the bells and whistles at their disposal, all the talent (according to NHL scouts) on the ice and all the expectations in the world (at least from this fan), this team has gotten worse. I think back to teams that had less talent (according to NHL scouts) and fewer (actually, zero) bells and whistles, and they were never outworked, never outskated, never outshot. They sometimes lost, but it wasn't for a lack of guts.

This current incarnation that wears the blue and gold is gutless. They are soft. They don't play as a team. They are not "there" for each other. This seems to be a stepping stone on the way to an NHL career. This is a team full of guys who think they don't have to work because they have their futures all sewn up, so why sweat now? Well, I got news for these players. No NHL team wants a soft player. No NHL team wants a lazy player. No NHL team wants a player who can't finish. No NHL team wants a player who is not here for his teammates, but rather is here for himself.

This current incarnation of coaches appears to be as gutless as the players they coach. Bag skate 'em. Punish bonehead plays. Sit lazy players. Strip the captains of their privilege. Do something to show the fans that you care about the outcome of each game. Do something to show me, a teacher, that you, teachers of hockey players, are willing to say, "Well, that didn't work. Let's try something completely different." If you can't admit what you are doing currently isn't working out, then you aren't working out. Change your focus on the type of player you recruit. I teach criminals, drug addicts, "losers" to some people. I could not (and don't want to) teach high achievers. This coaching staff needs to coach lunch pail players--not linen table cloth players.
                          Providence College fans said the same thing about Pooley's program with the Friars...
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Recap of Notre Dame's 4-2 loss at Northeastern

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...a-dalen-hedges
                            https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                            Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

This team has no balls.

This current incarnation of coaches appears to be as gutless as the players they coach.
                              I'd throw in as evidence of this mindset the interview from earlier in the week of Mario Lucia during the radio broadcasts of this weekend's games. With Notre Dame sitting in 5th place (and owning games in hand on all 4 teams in front of them) Lucia parrots the same ridiculous goal that Jackson has them striving for, a 4th place finish in Hockey East. For the love of God that is some weak tea. It is a weak, useless goal and it leads to a team full of soft minded, gutless players. At the time of the interview, winning the games in hand alone would have put you in third place. From there you think a top-4 finish is a reasonable, responsible goal? Give me a break. If Brian Kelly had as a goal what seems to be his natural ceiling (8-9 wins) students, alumni and fans would be burning him in effigy in front of the Gug. Understandably.

This program needs a near complete flushing. It has gone nowhere since the CFIA opened. Players don't develop. Hockey is of secondary importance in their own arena (albeit for very different reasons than it was of secondary importance while housed in the JACC). Seasons end generally in disappointment and excuse making. Every temporary improvement (PP) is met with huge steps back (PK failing 24% of the time in the last 5 after failing just 15% of the time previously, Petersen failing to bail out the team one time over the weekend, a complete reluctance to shoot the puck in the most crucial situations towards the end of both games).

Comment

I don't know.... I mean they've got PPG in the last 5 games? You have the nationally leader in points for a defenseman on the team, and the freshmen national leader for points by a defenseman. The +/- is to be desired, and there are a lot of negative stats we can look at. It does appear at times that they are getting out worked or played some lousy periods, but even the coaching staff admits this.

Now I have to admit that I am a very very very new fan (especially compared to the rest here), but I just can't help but notice that Jackson has one of the best winning percentages of current coaches that have coached for at least ten years (well it's him and Lucia at MN). I can't help but notice that ND has made the NCAAs six times in it's hockey history, and five of those times come under Jackson. It has only made the frozen four twice, and never without Jackson. No other coach has left Notre Dame with a plus .500 record and Jackson currently holds a record over .600 at Notre Dame. So as much as I want to say this time sucks royal and someone needs to smack it, it's hard for me to say they should pull the plug on Jackson. I mean, the goal should be to win hockey east etc. But part of thinks they trying to win that first round bye so they have a shot to win the tournament.

It just seems to me that without Jackson there is no one being upset by ideas like:
                                "We aren't going to make the NCAAs"
                                "We aren't winning Hockey East"
                                "We aren't winning."
                                Jackson seems to be a large part of why people are mad at the above statements. I'd like to give him a year with this class and see how they turn out next year. I believe coaches may have had us third preseason and media 8th? I remember some of the first games many people thought or knew this team was way down, and they've had some decent games.

Easy to see the negatives, but what about any positives?
                                Russo performance, Gross as a freshmen. I like the way he plays.
                                3 points from Vermont, first point against Lowell (and should have been 2 but the refs sucked), first HE road sweep. Sure they got swept by northeastern, but they weren't great on the road last year in conference play.

Comment

Working...
                                X