X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    just putting things away in the broom closet...
    12 days. Yeah, I'm counting.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      Based on last night, Jamie might need a chance to relax and catch a break. It also might spark the team for a really good performance.
      I think the changes tonight will be for a reason of fatigue, not poor play.
      As some predicted, Jamie got his break last night, although not as long as some were thinking it might be. (His time off amounted to 34 seconds of game time, which he spent on the bench replacing a broken skate lace which attached his left leg pad to his skate.) Matt did a great job filling in for Jamie and did not allow any goals.
      Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Bump off Page 2.

Michigan Tech got a mention in Sid Hartman's Sunday column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

•Michigan Tech men’s hockey coach Mel Pearson, who played at Edina in the 1970s under Willard Ikola, had the Huskies ranked No. 1 in the country for the first time since 1976, but just for one week, as the Huskies were swept by Minnesota State Mankato last weekend, dropping Tech to No. 6 in this week’s poll. Incidentally, Pearson’s father, Mel, played with the Minnesota Fighting Saints in the 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
          Bump off Page 2.

Michigan Tech got a mention in Sid Hartman's Sunday column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
          I'm sure Mel is a close personal friend of Sid's, too.
          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by melmac View Post
            I'm sure Mel is a close personal friend of Sid's, too.
            My 18 months in Minnesota is enough to get that joke. For the first few months I lived there, I listened to WCCO in the morning. I know Sid is a a legend, but it is hard to listen to him on the radio now. It feels like they are poking him to get him to reply to questions from the morning show guy (I don't remember his name.)
            Ryan J

What did your close personal friend Kevin Love tell you last night at the Cavaliers game?
            Yes, the Twins did look good at times this summer...
            So Sid why don't you come back next hour and tell us about that Wild game last night.
            Yes, I remember when the Vikings...
            Ok sounds good Sid we'll talk to you in a bit.
            What?
            Ok thanks Sid talk to you next hour...
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              Heh. Good to meet you tonight.
              GFM
              the same. hope to see you again next year. Huntsville is a great trip!
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Polls are in: Tech is 5 in USCHO, 6 in USA Today

Obviously this doesn't mean anything, but it's just cool we could be talked about in the NCAA tourney/pairwise discussion. Tech vs. Yale in Manchester, New Hampshire.
                http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...etology-week-1

Comment

Ok,
                  I've decided to go up thru Chicago, the connections are just so much better. Can anyone give me what their experience has been like on united?
                  Book the earliest flight you can. And be ready to rebook quickly when your original flight is cancelled, the rush is staggering when the inevitable happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    My 18 months in Minnesota is enough to get that joke. For the first few months I lived there, I listened to WCCO in the morning. I know Sid is a a legend, but it is hard to listen to him on the radio now. It feels like they are poking him to get him to reply to questions from the morning show guy (I don't remember his name.)
                    Ryan J

What did your close personal friend Kevin Love tell you last night at the Cavaliers game?
                    Yes, the Twins did look good at times this summer...
                    So Sid why don't you come back next hour and tell us about that Wild game last night.
                    Yes, I remember when the Vikings...
                    Ok sounds good Sid we'll talk to you in a bit.
                    What?
                    Ok thanks Sid talk to you next hour...
                    That's spot on. It's such bad radio it's funny and worth a listen every so often. Plus he couldn't care less about hockey and people call in to get him going.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      That's spot on. It's such bad radio it's funny and worth a listen every so often. Plus he couldn't care less about hockey and people call in to get him going.
                      Then there is the Sports Reporters style show, with Sid, Reusse and other various twits, whose sole purpose now just seems to be to see who can get Sid p^ssed off, frothing at the mouth and babbling incoherently. What a jackarse that guy is.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

This week's rankings: http://q30television.com/2014/12/01/...ey-poll-12114/
                        Quinnipiac University '15
                        ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                        ECAC Championship: 2016
                        NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                        Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Person show summary for those that missed it. I thought it was interesting there was no replay available this weekend.

Mel Pearson Show summary for 12-1:
                          Good long trip, there was an alumni gathering, over 75 people there, as far as Houston/Atlanta, great turnout
                          Pleased with weekend, did a lot of good things, especially defensively
                          Happy for Cliff to get a goal, ENG, guys gave him a hard time because he didn't hit the back of the net, then broke his "lucky stick" the next morning in skate
                          It's a long trip, decided to bus down there knowing we weren't playing next weekend and could take all our players
                          We left after Saturday game, 11PM ET, arrived home about 4:30 local time, can count on snow coming back to the UP, beautiful morning, Mel likes the crisp cold
                          Good to get 4 points, the games are close hard fought games, UAH doesn't give up much, scrappy team, usually our PP has to be difference, but it wasn't
                          They know they have to outwork teams, just don't have depth, so they work hard. They beat Ferris, UAF. Much improved from last year.

On Friday:
                          0-1 SHG, Pierce, breakaway on puck that bounces over Kero stick as he tried to keep it in
                          Do ice conditions make a difference in a game? Dirk thinks their first goal was caused by a bounce.
                          Puck bounced around on ice, players say it was soft. Anywhere along the boards, the puck would bounce over sticks. Tanner tryign to keep puck in on PP, took a hop and UAH guy was off.
                          90% of the time the puck will land on Tanner's stick. They also got fortunate, UAH guy wiffed his shot, throwing Jamie off, then got a 2nd chance and scored.
                          Not how we want to start, give them momentum, but not overly concerned.
                          They had 4 penalties in 1st, we weren't able to score. They clog it in, so no tic-tac-toe or backdoor goals. We were overly deliberate, slowed things down.
                          We were off overall on our game Friday. A few guys stepped up, but a lot were off.
                          1-1, Steman, score on delayed penalty, 2x1 breakaway goal, we'll double check on assists, thought there were a few they missed, Maybe L'Esperance should've gotten an assist
                          2-1, Gillies on 3x2 break, from Steman, Eick was an option too at the backdoor, Eick driving the net, gave Gillies room, Gillies put it in a small spot, great shot
                          Eick/Steman/Gillies was great, they worked hard and can all skate, by far our best line
                          2-2, PPG on a redirect, not happy with the goal, we did a good job on PK for a majority, at the end we backed off and let Dmen take the shot, had talked about denying that shot, poor coverage in front too
                          Tough game for Jamie, didn't see many shots
                          3-2, Hanna 1:30 after the UAH goal, we want to throw it at net and it found its way in, Shane had a good weekend overall
                          UAH pushed hard in 3rd, liked our team too, best period the way we skated, there was some pace in the game, long stretches with no whistle
                          attempted shots 25 for UAH, 14 got to the net, good defensive game
                          4-2 Watson, ENG, he plays honest and hard
                          Good win, left on Tuesday, felt like we were on the road for awhile, good way to start weekend
                          Lost special teams battle, they had PPG and SHG, our PP got better as game went on, usually need to win special teams on the road
                          Great game by Gillies/Eick/Steman, need that depth/secondary scoring, other teams will try to shut down top scorers and those guys stepped up
                          Pound for pound, Steman might be as strong as anyone on our team, strong down along the boards, it's hard to contain him
                          Gillies has skill/speed, maybe best hands on our team, he's just scratching surface, excited about that

Thoughts on the rink?
                          Nice building, very modern/clean. It's different on inside, nice touches, seats down around the glass.
                          Most of staff went to the pro hockey game there Thursday, Jacob Johnstone and Kevin Genoe played there. They had 3700 people, good atmosphere, the Havoc.
                          Went to blueline luncheon, impressed with the turnout, asked good questions, educated fans.

On Saturday:
                          1-0 Kero, he beat his guy, better start
                          we played much better Saturday, had more jump, we were more aggressive
                          We had 1 PP in 1st, Blake P very close, but a lot of 5x5 hockey
                          UAH did not have video replay, they had talked to Mel saying part of equipment was stolen, so no video replay for Friday
                          Asked the ref if it was available for Saturday, but it wasn't, so couldn't look at Blake's potential goal, Blake thinks it went in
                          Got rid of our bus legs, much better game for many
                          Hietila moved to Sturos/Pietila line a few times in game, made some changes to get some guys going, overall it helped our team
                          1-1, wrister that Jamie never saw, lost the faceoff cleanly and shot it, they were good on faceoffs
                          2-1, Hyland, like that our Dmen are adding some offense, Watson, Hanna, Hyland
                          3-1, Petan, well placed shot, got goalie moving and shot top shelf, had talked to Muckalt about us watching Nashville Predators pregame skate Thursday and just how quickly they shoot and place it, not necessarily hard, and Petan did that
                          3-2, we had control of the puck but never got it out of zone, tough shift
                          4-2, Gould from Kero, good puck movement, good for Gould, has played so well overall and good around the net
                          5-2, Hietila ENG, getting goals from secondary scoring, no goals from Sturos/Pietila/Johstone, want to get them going, but we have depth
                          Neville blocked a big shot in 3rd, no goals yet, but don't see that in stats sheet
                          Blake Pieitla had outstanding scoring chances too, a little snake bitten
                          David Johnstone - UAH put a line against Blake/David/Reid to make it tough on them, can get frustrating, but have to push through, they did a better job Sat
                          They'll play against other teams top lines, but it can open up things for others like Steman/Gilles etc, 9 goals on road is good
                          Concerned at all about Johnstone, most points come from PP and not 5x5? Not overly, they're getting opportunities. short shifted them a few times to get them away from checking line, get them opportunity

On UMD:
                          2 weeks to prepare for them, nice to have with travel/grind of 1st half
                          Team will have next 2 days off with no practice, back at it Wed
                          They swept MN a couple weeks ago, very good, they'll give us real good hockey games
                          Told our team these are big games, almost more important than league games, especially if you have any chance of qualifying for NCAA
                          Your non-conference games become huge with head to head criteria
                          Friday 12/12 against UMD will be the teddy bear toss, think that's cool and serves a great purpose, get your tickets
                          Last year we lost a 1 goal game and tied, they're a team we want to play, they play fast with pace and they're skilled
                          The crowds have really helped our team with home ice advantage
                          We have something to prove, it should be a matchup of two top 10 teams, we have goals of playing after WCHA playoffs, games like this will go a long way
                          Heard the hotels in town are sold out, UMD bringing a couple fan busses, can't wait

Our next league action is 2nd week of January 9/10 against NMU
                          But UMD, Michigan at GLI, would like to play Michigan State but also want to see Ferris do well
                          Happy with our records in WCHA so far, have played 8 of our 12 league road games, now have to take advantage of January home games
                          Great Xmas gift idea, get some January hockey tickets

Questions for Mel:
                          If a goalie sits on a bench but doesn't play, is he eligible for a redshirt?
                          Pretty sure you can ask for a redshirt if a goalie doesn't play. Don't think that's an issue, we dress all three at home.
                          Dirk notes that Wintjes got in for 10 seconds, Jamie's strap that holds the pad came apart. A skate lace had to be restrung, technically the goalie has time to fix it. But we figured we'd throw Matt in there, didn't want Jamie to feel rushed.
                          Wintjes told dirk, when Jamie went post to post he cut the skate lace with his skate. He wears less straps than most goalies, so it was a lot looser than other goalies would've experienced.

Shoutout to Alumni that came down, great turnout. Alumni in the crowd Sat. stood out a lot. Sold out the alumni event.
                          Shoutout to Nashville Preditors that let us skate at their rink Wed and watch pregame skate Thursday. very accommodating.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Sid's actually been dead for the last 20 years. Technology has kept him alive, at least in a vegetative state.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Mel is definitely right about Steman. He was really good this weekend against our boys. And it's funny that he said that we were good on the draw because I felt like we were getting killed a lot of the time on Saturday. I do know that they spend a lot of time on draws working to get pucks to the D for point shots, whether from the initial guy or a D-to-D pass. I saw Tech doing a good job stopping that pass from happening — hey, they watch film — but it seems like they're just going more for the grip-and-rip.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

personally, I thought UAH gave us a lot more to handle than I expected. gritty team, lots of body checking and faster than I thought they would be. quick to jump on our mistakes. happy to take home the four points. Tom Corbett was an excellent assistant at Air Force - he was to Serratore as Mel was to Red - and I expect as time goes on we will be hearing more from UAH. can't say enough about the town. the rocket museum. (home of the space program) the historic district (antebellum homes) the food (Wintzell's Oyster House, Cotton Row, Blue Plate Cafe) comfortable arena southern hospitality.

glad the guys get a rest and time to prepare for Duluth. another big showdown in Houghton!
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X