X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Speaking of SOS,
    Did the caculation.
    Michigan Tech's opponents (counting each game once and ignoring their results against MTU) are 0.455.
    Not that great but UND is 0.405 and BU is 0.425
    Minnesota is 0.544
    Sounds like Michigan Tech deserves to be #1 right now unless we consider Minnesota still #1 because they've had a significantly more difficult schedule.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't think tech at #1 is a unanimous feeling even among tech fans. I think the objection to the article was the insanely circular reasoning. There are plenty of good arguments against considering tech number one. I'm not sure we'd stand a chance against Duluth right now. The available data might be limited in its ability to discriminate between teams, but most Tech grads will take limited data over someone's gut feeling.

Edit: I should have said inconsistent not circular. And to be fair, I think BigAL is probably taking some undeserved heat in response not directly to the article, but other blogger opinions we've mentioned here. I'm as guilty as anyone there. Apologies.
      Last edited by oldish husky; 11-18-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Speaking of SOS,
        Did the caculation.
        Michigan Tech's opponents (counting each game once and ignoring their results against MTU) are 0.455.
        Not that great but UND is 0.405 and BU is 0.425
        Minnesota is 0.544
        Sounds like Michigan Tech deserves to be #1 right now unless we consider Minnesota still #1 because they've had a significantly more difficult schedule.
        I didn't read BigA's article, and I'm not grinding any ax, just pointing out that SOS is really, really, really, very foggy this early. For example Wisconsin is 58th in RPI SOS, and their opponents have a .595 win % doing the same calculation you are here. Obviously that wouldn't make sense. And it won't until much later in the year.

For what it's worth, I'd put MTU #1 this week.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
          I don't think tech at #1 is a unanimous feeling even among tech fans. I think the objection to the article was the insanely circular reasoning. There are plenty of good arguments against considering tech number one. I'm not sure we'd stand a chance against Duluth right now. The available data might be limited in its ability to discriminate between teams, but most Tech grads will take limited data over someone's gut feeling.

Edit: I should have said inconsistent not circular. And to be fair, I think BigAL is probably taking some undeserved heat in response not directly to the article, but other blogger opinions we've mentioned here. I'm as guilty as anyone there. Apologies.
          You guys are being much more diplomatic than I. To be fair, he asked for it. But for the same reasons you stated was exactly why I retorted in the fashion I did. To me, this was no different than the bloggers. Circumstantial evidence does not a case make. Opinion needs facts to be substantial or to be interesting to a mainly logical fanbase. Know your audience before you throw a steaming pile in front them, considering that it was very easy to see the research was superficial at best.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
            My names on the article. Arthur Lane. Including a link to my twitter. That's how someone found out exactly who I am. A Quinnipiac business student, who writes a weekly recap of the USCHO poll and gives my opinion. I understand some people are known publically on here but most are not. I never said I don't know why people are upset. I simply said there's no reason to get overly upset over one person's (mine) opinion. There are many people that obviously agree with my SOS argument because Michigan Tech is not close to being unanimous at the top of the poll.
            Do they teach reason at Quinnipiac? Also, so that you know, people who chuck USCHO a little coin get to see who reps them, so your neg-rep asking me to not troll you (wut) was kinda funny.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              Do they teach reason at Quinnipiac? Also, so that you know, people who chuck USCHO a little coin get to see who reps them, so your neg-rep asking me to not troll you (wut) was kinda funny.

GFM
              You kidding?
              An ultra liberal school like that?

C'mon Geof, you're a smart guy.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...222223888.html

So "Puck Daddy" is back. I guess the take-away is that last week Michigan Tech sucked. This week we suck more, because we swept Bemidji on the road. Also, the WCHA sucks and MSU is so much better than Tech that there's no point in playing them this weekend. Case closed!

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                  http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...222223888.html

So "Puck Daddy" is back. I guess the take-away is that last week Michigan Tech sucked. This week we suck more, because we swept Bemidji on the road. Also, the WCHA sucks and MSU is so much better than Tech that there's no point in playing them this weekend. Case closed!
                  Good thing every conceivable bounce has just happened to go Tech's way this season, or they'd be 0-10 as their play deserves. What's this "Ryan Lambert" so irritable about? And has he every seen an actual hockey game?
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    Good thing every conceivable bounce has just happened to go Tech's way this season, or they'd be 0-10 as their play deserves. What's this "Ryan Lambert" so irritable about? And has he every seen an actual hockey game?
                    He is slobbering all over MSU, saying Tech sucks and hasn't played anyone... yet. But he has Tech ranked higher than MSU for some reason even though they're the cream of the crop and will beat up on the rest of the soft/mediocre WCHA? Very strange. I'm not sure if he's really stable. There's an excuse every time one of the elites lose to a lowly WCHA team. Maybe he should call Red in Ann Arbor and get his opinion. Those 10 goals weren't luck. But at the end of the day, I put him in the pile with the rest of the critics. They can do something I'll not repeat here. Mel and the gang can just keep rolling along racking up the W's. We'll make a little crow for him to enjoy for Thanksgiving.

Comment

The best luckiest deserving, but undeserving, "prove it" until they finally lose a game so I can tell you "told ya so", weak scheduling, weak conference, no talent *****clown 10-0 team I will ever not see.
                      -R. Lambert & A. Lane

Must be that East Coast Bias thing.

Comment

I think it is great that USCHO and Yahoo Sports are giving jobs to the mentally handicapped, but I question the logic in giving them actual writing jobs. Seems like it could backfire.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
                          The best luckiest deserving, but undeserving, "prove it" until they finally lose a game so I can tell you "told ya so", weak scheduling, weak conference, no talent *****clown 10-0 team I will ever not see.
                          -R. Lambert & A. Lane

Must be that East Coast Bias thing.
                          They must not have been Yale fans a few years ago.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

There is a reason for his ranting: He's looking for page clicks, and getting them.

He's called NCAA 101. It's a quick look into the college hockey world for the NHL mouth-breathers who read Puck Daddy for the NHL news and rumors. It's not meant to be more than a weekly fluff piece not meant for those of us posting here.

If I was a better writer, I'd jump on starting a blog titled "NCAA Hockey 317: Upper Level Review" as a counter-point to his blog. But there are plenty of smart college hockey blogs that already exist: USCHO's own (those might be 400 level blogs), SB Nation's College Hockey Blog, ND Goon blog, etc.

What irks me about Ryan Lambert isn't that he writes like this, I understand that page clicks via Puck Daddy earn him paychecks with Yahoo, it's that he *continues* to write like this as it gets passed along to the NHL fans of Puck Daddy as gospel.

Five years ago, I e-mailed him over a blurb he had posted:
                            Northern Michigan's Ray Kaunisto was suspended one game for his reportedly brutal headshot against Lake Superior State last weekend. [Michigan College Hockey]
                            Me, to Ryan Lambert:
                            Here's the YouTube video for the "hit" that caused the one game suspension of Ray Kaunisto:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi9k4G9cup8
                            And best part, that's the only camera angle and footage that most likely made the determination for the suspension.

Ryan Lambert, to me:
                            It was a hit to the head well away from the play. Pretty clear that that should've been a suspension. There have been at least four suspensions on plays exactly like that this year in the NHL.
                            Yep, because NHL supplemental discipline = NCAA supplemental discipline.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I think GreatLakerMohawk has his side blog back up, I think, but am unsure. NBC let him go, but he's been the Sabres guy for a bit, and has made appearances on NHL Network. He actually knows his college hockey.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                They must not have been Yale fans a few years ago.
                                Of course not. If I remember Pittsburgh correctly - a little fuzzy at times because that was a great trip - the almighty Q would have won an NCAA title if not for Yale.
                                Nevermind a certain team that only played 20 minutes in Grand Rapids and nearly beat Eli.

Comment

Working...
                                X