X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
    Mel mentioned that Tech lost a commit . . . do you know who that was?
    as stated by the link from John J. we lost Jacob Olson to Harvard. I think it was covered here...the sad part is Jacob was the first commitment this year and we already lost him. Newsome was the next, can see why MTU would get him to sign a NLI even though I'm positive he will defer to 2016. I know with the gentleman's agreement in question with some coaches, MTU has signed players like Jake Jackson, Joel L'Esperance, and Mark Auk really early knowing full well they will be deferred a year or 2 to keep other programs away from those players (all 3 of those signed in 2012).
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Mel Pearson mentioned the record is helping recruiting and that some of the verbals have signed.
      Not surprising that winning and a good ranking are getting us some traction with recruits. Winning breeds winning. Not Charlie Sheen winning, but actual winning.

I do like how every series is supposed to be the one that will test us. Ferris. Michigan. Anchorage. Bemidji on the road. As long as Mel has the guys thinking this I'm happy. You have to get up for each game. I know it's BS. The team is good and the record is no fluke. There is an Alabama team in there that better not get lost in the shuffle.

Comment

Holy crap:
        MTU #1
        http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-me...mber-17,-2014/
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Now what? Seasons over right?

Congrats on a re-emergence as a program.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Act like you've been there before. Oh. That's right. We haven't. Ha ha ha!

Should be a great weekend in Hoton!

Comment

Wasn't it about four years ago we were talking about the university just shutting the program down?

Pretty remarkable turnaround by the players and staff.

Comment

Congrats, gentlemen.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Mel was very candid about losing the recruit to another university in the questions part of the show.

I'm curious to see the crowds with it being Thanksgiving break.

Mel Pearson Show summary for 11-17:
                  Anytime you can go on the road and get 2 Ws it's huge, credit to players, outstanding job
                  Bemidji has a very good hockey team, very tough schedule so far
                  Bemidji keeps things simple, chip/flip the puck, always skating, makes it difficult, they will win a lot of hockey games

On Friday:
                  Good start, fairly even 1st period, they shot puck from everywhere, wanted to get pucks on Jamie, didn't give up a lot of Grade A chances
                  1-0, Eick SHG, outshot 16-8 that period, looking at that they had 3 PP, 7 shots on PP, we feel we can score SHG, good for CJ, think he can score more
                  CJ can score more, you can get characterized as a defensive player, want him to be more than 1 dimensional, shoots it well, go a little more to the net 5x5, should use his speed
                  CJ playing with Steman, Steman is strong, credit to him as a freshmen, centers is our system have a lot of responsabiliyt, fantastic job, good game
                  Steman confident off the ice too, heck of an athlete, his USHL coach told Mel he probably could've been his teams MVP, knows what it takes to win, important to get players from programs that expect to win
                  2-0, Petan, we had a outnumbered rush, good job of finding the open man, Petan got huge rebound, that line wasn't real good against UAA, good bounce back game, Gillies didn't make trip, Baltus on the line, brough stability, this line had half of shots on goal in game
                  2-1, flipped puck in, breakdown on PK, need to block that shot, Jamie had no chance
                  whole 1st half of 2nd, couldn't establish 5x5 due to penalties, non-PKers just sit on bench, didn't get in good flow rest of 2nd
                  3rd period, kept them on perimeter, pleased with how we handled the situation, having poise with puck and urgency too
                  Solid effort, real good job by Jamie Phillips too
                  faceoffs, Blake Pietila told coach he was getting eaten alive on faceoffs, our guys complained all weekend about puck drops, Bemidji good job "cheating" on faceoffs, we got thrown out a lot on faceoffs, credit to BSU they won faceoffs, we have to do a better job
                  You might not always win faceoffs, but don't lose, part of problem was their C would tie up our C and their forward would get in and get puck
                  A lot of great teams in the 94 years of history, hats off to our players being 10-0, a lot of times you can take foot off gas and be satisfied, but we haven't, it's a long season

On Saturday:
                  Trailed some, 1st time since LSSU, played from behind twice, good to see our guys play from behind
                  1-0 BSU, we had people in the area, but 2 Dmen went to same forward, BSU guy gets rebound
                  Shots 10-5 BSU in 1st, PK 1 min into the game, they were just trying to get pucks to the net like Friday
                  1-1, Sturos PPG, we needed a spark, good puck movement, had a few other chances that PP
                  2-1, BSU PPG, breakdown on PK, their Forwards got puck top of circles by the boards, walked to the slot, overall good PK, but one breakdown in coverage
                  2-2, Heinonen PPG, ton of improvement with Tyler, playing with strength, urgency, getting rewarded with goals, already at 4
                  Big goal, late in 2nd period
                  3-2, Petan early in the 3rd, good to get the lead, great play, Roy jumping into play, get to website to see the goal, thinks it'll be in NCAA top 5 plays
                  Better team in 3rd, established ourselves, started in 2nd, skating and good forecheck, a sign to Mel our team is in good shape, good energy in 2nd on a Sat, credit to Shelast
                  Changed all lines after 1st period Saturday, put Baltus with Pietila/Sturos, Johnstone/Heinone/Neville, Hietila/Steman/Eick, Petan/Kero/Gould
                  Penalty on Neville in 3rd, didn't show urgency, had to hook BSU, got through it though, playing solid
                  Penalty on Sweeney late, called delay of game, grabbed puck should be a whistle, diff than NHL, wanted ref to look at Rule book
                  Told Mel, delay of game penalty, "he grabbed puck and started to skate around with it" - Mel's comment, automatic whistle, can't stake around with it
                  Had coached our Dmen to do that in this series with BSU flipping the puck, we'll take faceoff,
                  That said, would take those refs every weekend, respect them, they're good, just his interpretation, still don't understand it
                  4-2, Kero ENG, Kero had great 3rd, skated, Gould skated well too, our guys did great job on that Sweeney PK, not sure they got a shot even with goalie pulled

On Mankato:
                  There's a reason they were picked so high in WCHA, Mankato might better than UM with forwards we will see, it'll be up/down hockey, great series
                  Need support from fans, they're ranked 9th, great deals on tickets
                  We'll be excited to be back home
                  Hastings recruiting similar players to us, like to get up/down ice, being in MN, they've attracted some good high end MN players, some good forwards
                  We have speed too, it'll be a fun weekend, we had two great games at the end of last season with them
                  These are top two teams in WCHA right now, playing head to head
                  UMD swept Gophers, we play them in next home series, some good teams coming to Houghton

Questions for Mel:

With success, do we have a target on our back?
                  Oh yeah, Mankato will use that. Scares me that Mankato had a bye, target gets bigger and bigger.

Does the winning streak help recruiting wise?
                  Yes it does, big recruiting time now. Will talk about NLIs next week, but last Wed through this Wed is signing. Players want a chance at NCAA tourney, more we win it helps.

What recruiting tools were used to get Mel to Tech?
                  Came here in '77, Tech had been two 3 straight championship games, chance to play for a winning program and great coach. Good academic school too.

Talk about evolution of recruiting, what it takes for blue chips.
                  It used to be senior year recruiting, now ND just committed a 2000 born verbal, evolution with websites and phone calls, texting, just gone crazy. Recruiting sites, so much more information out there
                  When Mel was an assistant at Tech. He'd go to Western Canada, might see 1 or 2 guys on his trip. Now usually 5 or 6 schools there, schools from east and west. Regional recruiting not the case.

How will coaches make sure players are hungry, without being complacent or burnt out?
                  Can't put pressure on them, pressure is there with the streak. We'll change things up in practice. Changes in the lineup are okay too. It's a fine line.

Has Tech been the victim of coaches not honoring the verbal agreement?
                  Yes we have recently, we honor the gentlemen's agreement. Just lost a recruit, looking forward to coming here. Other school kept bothering him. Then the coach wanted to call and talk to Mel about something, no interest in talking to him. Honor/integrity mean a lot to Mel, must not to others.

Mankato coming off bye week, does it affect practice?
                  It does, we had travel, they've gotten fresh mentally and physically. We need to give guys a break physically/mentally.

How do you put lines/D pair together.
                  Mainly coaches decision, have asked players at times though. Put it on the player a little bit.
                  Want some chemistry, guys that enjoy playing together, defensive responsibility, like offensive creativity, speed, grit etc.
                  Dmen, good pair, don't want two offensive Dmen. 2 guys that compliment each other.

Emailer noted that '08-09 Air Force started 13-0

Good for our team, we found a way to keep it going. This weekend will be great hockey. Future NHL players will be here. A ton of pace and speed.

Misfits are great, great group that supports our team. Our players appreciate that.

Comment

Is it weird that I feel like a proud parent who's kid just won a meaningless participation trophy at the local soccer tourney? It might not mean anything in the grand scheme of the season, but it is shiny and it looks good!
                    Wow.
                    Ryan J

BTW - I change my mind about what I said previous weeks - polls are very important and they represent the ultimate authority on who is truly great. The knowledge of the poll-sters is beyond question and their judgement should be regarded as undisputed fact. (NOTE: I may change my position on this statement again next Monday...)
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I truly never thought I'd see the day Tech was #1. Great day for Tech hockey.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4

Awesome! I'm on the bandwagon!

Houghton has always been my favorite city/town/hamlet/thorpe on that canal thingy that splits the Keweenaw, so makes sense.

Seriously - congrats. Hope it continues other than the roady to Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Is it weird that I feel like a proud parent who's kid just won a meaningless participation trophy at the local soccer tourney? It might not mean anything in the grand scheme of the season, but it is shiny and it looks good!
                          Wow.
                          Ryan J

BTW - I change my mind about what I said previous weeks - polls are very important and they represent the ultimate authority on who is truly great. The knowledge of the poll-sters is beyond question and their judgement should be regarded as undisputed fact. (NOTE: I may change my position on this statement again next Monday...)
                          I wouldn't call this a meaningless participation trophy. It certainly doesn't mean much but it is a hell of an achievement, unlike participation. Michigan Tech has been participating for years, now they're finally doing more than just showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            Wow.

Not meaningless at all. It's another step towards (re) establishing the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                              Mel was very candid about losing the recruit to another university in the questions part of the show.

I'm curious to see the crowds with it being Thanksgiving break.
                              Appreciate the recap. I can't catch the show live.

Good to see Mel telling the coach to stick it. That's what I'd have done. WTG Mel!

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                I truly never thought I'd see the day Tech was #1. Great day for Tech hockey.
                                Congrats. It's a good thing for college hockey that your program is definitely trending in the right direction. Hopefully Tech can maintain this, except early next year for 1 weekend.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X