This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

The Early Signing Period begins today. I would expect Michigan Tech to announce some combination of the following players signing now (listed in order of most likely to least likely):
    Mitch Reinke
    Tristan Rostagno
    Chris Gerrie
    Angus Redmond
    Travis Brown
    Jake Kauppila
    Trevor Cope

I don't think we'll see Mitch Newsome, Jake Gingell or Cooper Watson sign yet, although we could see one of them sign this early if Michigan Tech is confident in them and worried about being poached like they were with Jake Olson.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Saw that there aren't any hotel rooms available in Houghton for Sat. Jan 10th... Is that normal for "comeback weekend" up there? Looking like camping out in MQT might be a better option... Just looking at racking up the miles between MQT and the Keweenaw that weekend since I want to hip up Mt. Bohemia that weekend as well...
      You can save a few miles by staying at Corner Cafe & Motel on 14165 Us Highway 41 W in Champion, 903-339-0013. I lived in a room there back in 1981 for a few weeks while I worked at a nearby Mead Paper concentration yard. It was called Mitch's back then. Bring your snow machine and ride the nearby trails...
      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        This is like if someone moves to Green Bay, goes to some Packer games, logs on to a Packer message board, and asks "Who is this Lombardi guy?"

edit: I don't want to scare people away, more fans, and more Tech posters is a good thing. I would encourage you and everyone else to keep posting. At the same time, try to be a little knowledgeable, we're talking about the basics here. I don't need you pull Bob Mancini or Newell Brown out of your ***. Also, even long time posters get ripped here. I encourage any new posters to rip back (see Broseph Stalin), and as long as you're not a complete dumbass (Pink Pony, for example), you'll be fine, and you'll fit in nicely.
        Since Gerald Sullivan was my supervising teacher at Marquette HS the spring of 1974, do I at least get probationary status as an occasional Tech poster? Will be at the BSU-MTU game Friday night at the Sanford Center in Bemidji. Go Beavers!

Comment

MTU recruit Mitch Reinke was named to the USA roster for World Junior A Challenge, Dec. 14-20 in Saskatchewan.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I like board newbies and cut them slack. they could be from Georgia or Oregon or even China or India and are very new to hockey. I hope foser hasn't been scared away. Broseph sounds like a big boy who can take care of himself. there is also the chance ... good chance ... foser is a knowledgable poster pulling our chain. wouldnt be the first time.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              The Early Signing Period begins today. I would expect Michigan Tech to announce some combination of the following players signing now (listed in order of most likely to least likely):
              Mitch Reinke
              Tristan Rostagno
              Chris Gerrie
              Angus Redmond
              Travis Brown
              Jake Kauppila
              Trevor Cope

I don't think we'll see Mitch Newsome, Jake Gingell or Cooper Watson sign yet, although we could see one of them sign this early if Michigan Tech is confident in them and worried about being poached like they were with Jake Olson.

I would put Cope at the top of the list. he's aged out of juniors. he has to sign. Kauppila might be aged out as well.

Rostagno and Brown are still a few years out. In particular Brown, I was not impressed with what I saw from him. That being said, he's still young and can develop. Rostagno is a much better player IMO.

Reinke seems to be the real deal. Have not had the chance to watch him yet. Maybe next Friday night in Ann Arbor vs Team USA.
              Last edited by eye4talent; 11-12-2014, 10:41 AM.
              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                I would put Cope at the top of the list. he's aged out of juniors. he has to sign. Kauppila might be aged out as well.

Rostagno and Brown are still a few years out. In particular Brown, I was not impressed with what I saw from him. That being said, he's still young and can develop. Rostagno is a much better player IMO.

Reinke seems to be the real deal. Have not had the chance to watch him yet.
                I put Cope at the bottom of the list because I'm not sure he's getting any $ and if he's not, he won't be signing because walk-ons don't sign. I'm sure he will be in Houghton next year because of age, but as I said, I'm not sure he's getting a scholarship.

Kauppila can wait until 2016 to come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
                  Since Gerald Sullivan was my supervising teacher at Marquette HS the spring of 1974, do I at least get probationary status as an occasional Tech poster? Will be at the BSU-MTU game Friday night at the Sanford Center in Bemidji. Go Beavers!
                  Well, you sure as hell aren't gaining any points with that "Go Beavers"
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I put Cope at the bottom of the list because I'm not sure he's getting any $ and if he's not, he won't be signing because walk-ons don't sign. I'm sure he will be in Houghton next year because of age, but as I said, I'm not sure he's getting a scholarship.

Kauppila can wait until 2016 to come in.
                    Do you know the rule for guys who are on academic scholarships? Do they count against the 18? I don't believe they do.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Look out, people. This may become a rant.

Thanks everyone for looking at my post count and jumping to the conclusion that I haven't been around. Now take a look at my join date. No '1' in that year folks. And way to go huskyfan for seeing through the smoke.

No effin ess MacInnes is and will be the winningest coach at da Houghton Tech for a long time. True story: I composed the first part of my previous post, stared at it for 5 minutes or so, deleted it, re-typed it, added an obvious sarcasm disclaimer, removed that, felt it was inappropriate to send it out without anything, inserted what I though was a middle ground, and hit post. Maybe I should have put a dummy-proof disclaimer in. But then Dirty wouldn't have shown me any love...and really, that's why we're all here, right?

I like coming to this forum for what is normally pretty decent conversation regarding the team. Call it crowdsourcing rather than relying on the traditional media team coverage. (Confession: Unless someone links to one in this thread, I don't think I've read an actual USCHO article yet this season.) While I've only caught a handful of games the past few years (hard to do where I'm at), I enjoy paying attention to the ebb and flow of the team. This season has me positively giddy. Seriously. Like random fist pumps for no apparent reason when my thoughts wander toward the program. And like I said, the regular posters do a good job of communicating the pulse, even as the posters have phased in and out over the years.

This year has been a little bit different. There is obviously a lot of discussion around the team this season. (When was the last time a Tech thread hit 30-something pages this fast - not including the summer a 'couple of' posters ran the number up discussing the skills of the WalMart roller hockey league?) Unfortunately we (I?) have to sift through more inconsequential discussion to get what I'm looking for. Not that it is any particular person's 'fault' - just part of the evolution of the board.

Any suggestions out there on where I should go for my information? This forum is (almost) my sole source of team information. THG has done a good job over the years (and thanks for the live chats, btw), but as Shirtless pointed out life happens and the standard is hard to hold up. Is there another active student/recent grad group that takes the effort to pull in lots of information and present it logically so I don't have to? I'm not really interested in Twitter - way more inconsequential than in here. Maybe I should migrate back to the beat writers.

And to those people like me who don't want to wade through the minutia to get a good sense of what is going on: I apologize. I had no idea that a single tongue-in-cheek comment would generate an additional page of crap replies. My bad.

Wow. That did turn into a rant. Congratulations if you made it all the way through. And now I'll go back to lurking in the shadows.

Comment

Whats wrong with liking beaver?
                        Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                        Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                          Whats wrong with liking beaver?
                          The Bemidji version?
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I realize that. That's why I am only seeking "probationary status" to be an occasional Tech poster. I suppose I will also lose points if I wear my 1971 NMU basketball letter jacket to the game Friday. Will that disqualify me?

Comment

So is Tech for realz?

Maybe we can have a 74/75/76 Championchip rematch
                              National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
                                I realize that. That's why I am only seeking "probationary status" to be an occasional Tech poster. I suppose I will also lose points if I wear my 1971 NMU basketball letter jacket to the game Friday. Will that disqualify me?
                                Nah, that's fine. Basketball anything doesn't move the needle for me.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X