This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

I believe that the last time the Huskies won 9 in a row at any point in a season was at the tail end of the 1980-81 campaign.

W 5-3 @ North Dakota 21 Feb
    W 5-4 @ Michigan 27 Feb
    W 5-2 @ Michigan 28 Feb
    W 7-4 vs North Dakota 6 Mar WCHA Playoff Rd 1
    W 4-1 vs North Dakota 7 Mar WCHA Playoff Rd 1
    W 2-1 vs Michigan 13 Mar WCHA Playoff Rd 2
    W 7-1 vs Michigan 14 Mar WCHA Playoff Rd 2
    W 7-3 @ Providence 20 Mar NCAA Playoff 1st Round
    W 6-5 @ Providence 21 Mar NCAA Playoff 1st Round

The streak ended on 26 March at the Final Four in Duluth when Minnesota beat Tech 7-2 in the national semifinal. They would go on to beat NMU 5-2 for 3rd place in the last game that Mel Pearson skated in as a Husky.

Comment

So here is my little and uninformed critique of the long range plan for the Mac. It was partially released by shirtless a couple of years ago. According to what he said, there are no plans for additional permanent seats. instead an area for Temporary seats would be put up, and only for bigger games. Most of the time the seating capacity would stay the same.

I'm against that. I think if the attendance is really going to be in the neighborhood of 3000+, you need at least 500 additional permanent seats, plus an area for some folding chairs on top of that. I'd also like to see the bathrooms expanded, which I think the plan does, as well as significantly enhanced food service, and a mirror image of the suites on the west end, placed on the east wall as well.

I believe in many cases, even with 500 additional seats, those will be filled and another 1000 standees admitted.
      I can see this happening, several times per year.

1. when a big time program comes to houghton, one weekend per year.
      2. during carnival.
      3. during visits by teams close to us in the standings,
      4. NMU games
      5. any home playoff contests.

so overall that could be up to 10 games where we see significantly more than 3000.

I don't think 500 additional seats is that big a deal, except that it will require a re write of the plan.

Comments?
      Last edited by manurespreader; 11-11-2014, 07:42 AM.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
        Pretty sure Shirtless did on Saturday night after the W.
        I cant remember yesterday, let alone last weekend!
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Michigan Tech Recruit Jacob Olson has switched his commitment to Harvard

Comment

Originally posted by herbst20 View Post
            Probably realized he doesn't have enough talent to get any playing time at Tech.

j/k wish him nothing but the best!

Comment

Tech Nation: #AreYouWithUs Jacob?
              Jacob: No, and where do I send my notice of de-committing to?
              Tech Nation: You can send it to the hockey offices. Don't worry, at Tech we're informal so it's cool to end your sentences with a preposition. However you won't get away with that at Harvard...

Tech really is changing. Not only are we winning games, but now we're like a real hockey school where we sometimes lose recruits to lesser known programs because the other school is a better academic option for the player. Man this is all happening crazy fast. When do we get our first big time scandal?

Ryan J
              Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 11-11-2014, 07:40 AM. Reason: I have a proposition: Auto correct should know when I mean preposition.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                Tech Nation: #AreYouWithUs Jacob?
                Jacob: No, and where do I send my notice of de-committing to?
                Tech Nation: You can send it to the hockey offices. Don't worry, at Tech we're informal so it's cool to end your sentences with a proposition. However you won't get away with that at Harvard...

Tech really is changing. Not only are we winning games, but now we're like a real hockey school where we sometimes lose recruits to lesser known programs because the other school is a better academic option for the player. Man this is all happening crazy fast. When do we get our first big time scandal?

Ryan J
                Anyone else notice the extreme irony in that comment?
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                  Anyone else notice the extreme irony in that comment?
                  Totally. Open mouth, insert foot, chew vigorously.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

There's more to it I'm sure, but I'm guessing he wanted to play next year but Mel usually wants kids to play one year of USHL even if they stay through their senior year of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      So here is my little and uninformed critique of the long range plan for the Mac. It was partially released by shirtless a couple of years ago. According to what he said, there are no plans for additional permanent seats. instead an area for Temporary seats would be put up, and only for bigger games. Most of the time the seating capacity would stay the same.

I'm against that. I think if the attendance is really going to be in the neighborhood of 3000+, you need at least 500 additional permanent seats, plus an area for some folding chairs on top of that. I'd also like to see the bathrooms expanded, which I think the plan does, as well as significantly enhanced food service, and a mirror image of the suites on the west end, placed on the east wall as well.

I believe in many cases, even with 500 additional seats, those will be filled and another 1000 standees admitted.
                      I can see this happening, several times per year.

1. when a big time program comes to houghton, one weekend per year.
                      2. during carnival.
                      3. during visits by teams close to us in the standings,
                      4. NMU games
                      5. any home playoff contests.

so overall that could be up to 10 games where we see significantly more than 3000.

I don't think 500 additional seats is that big a deal, except that it will require a re write of the plan.

Comments?
                      Sounds good to me. But I would add, if we're adding 500-1000 seats, I would like to see them built as "club level". Nicer seats, more amenities, etc. I like the idea of putting in 5 or so rows of seats below the concourse on the west side of the arena, cantilevered out of the existing wall, towards the ice. Then push out the east end wall, put something similar on that end as on the west end. Actually, How cool would it be to have a bar/grill on that side of the arena, overlooking the ice, with 3 rows of drink rails looking over the ice. It will never happen, but it would be **** sweet.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Summary of the Mel Pearson show for those that missed it.

Mel Pearson Show summary for 11-10:

Didn't play overly well Sat, but found a way to grind it out. Good for our guys.
                        2nd period Sat, we got away form game plan. Trying to do way too much ourselves, and in areas we haven't, that opened up their transition game.
                        New UAA would be better Saturday, in talking to UAA, there hasn't been a lot of pace in their games/opponents, so got more used to it after playing Fri.
                        It was a special weekend with '65 team here, great honor for all that were inducted, Tom Bissett, solid individual
                        Great much of guys the '65 team, had met a few, having them together fun to see, Al Holm told our guys, we're all here this weekend - Don't lose!
                        The jerseys we gave the '65 guys are neat, current players presented the jerseys to the alums, neat that Jeri MacInnes could be here, mother of MTU Hockey
                        Classy of UAA to be out there for ceremony, Mel told them that, side note by Mel: we have to get our banners redone, bigger/bolder

On Friday:
                        Great 1st period, a few pipes, concerned at how we'd handle it after UM weekend, let down will happen, very concerned, credit to players, they practiced well and came out good
                        1-0 PPG Heinonen, UAA did a good job on PK, but noticed they give the guy near the crease room, Heinonen banged it home
                        PKers were good all weekend, they have a couple 5 min majors, guys stayed in shot loanes
                        2-0 Gould, went straight in, can say that's a great goal, spin around and shoot it up high
                        Good for Gould, has played well this fall, came back quicker, Shelast has done a real good job with our guys, can see the benefit with Gould, quicker this year
                        He's a junior, he's put a little more commitment into game/conditioning, giving himself a chance before he's even on ice. Want good pace to the game. He can shoot the puck as good as anyone on our team, see it in practice.
                        We'll need him, our main guys wont score ever night. Will need Neville, Heinonen, Gould, L'Esperance, Baltus etc.
                        Evan Anderson: been out with mono, hasn't skated with our team since first few days with coaches
                        Mason Blacklock: didn't do anything last 1.5 months of summer, knees, dr. told him to stay off them, just starting to get in shape
                        Shutout for Jamie, played well, they had maybe 7 scoring chances, we had 18
                        Had a moment the puck did go in, UAA moves his arm forwards and catches puck, goal waved off, Mel saw overhead, new rule in college hockey, can't interfere with goalie even outside crease, wanted to make sure refs understood that

On Saturday:
                        1st 8 mins similar to Friday, ready to play, haven't played from behind since 1st weekend
                        Felt good about our team when we came out playing well
                        1-0 Hanna, good quick shot, might've grazed a UAA player
                        PP shortly after, looked out of sync, made a few adjustments, but credit to UAA, they were aggressive and we weren't ready for that, work ethic on PP wasn't as good as it needs to be
                        Told Coach Shawhan, some nights you just don't have offensive creativity, looked like that Sat
                        Petan off for roughing, this is where game changes, we were in control before that, plus Leibinger's penalty too, contact to the head
                        We'll look at penalties today, told video guy to get all the penalties, don't like the penalties we're taking, can't keep doing this against good teams, Leibinger has to learn
                        Down to 5 Dmen, hard to do it Saturday after hard game Friday, after that we weren't the same
                        Saw some mistakes later in game due to mental fatigue, those majors hurt us. 2nd/3rd period were changed because of the penalty in 1st.
                        Ever consider brining a forward to play 6th Dspot after Leibinger out? Definately, but didn't. Didn't feel we had anyone we were ready to throw back there, will practice guys back there.
                        2-0, Petan, good play by Alex, a lot of bodies in front, Sturos right on top of goalie taking away his vision, these guys shoot puck hard, hurts to get hit, credit to Reid playing in front of net
                        Gillies penalty in neutral zone, while we're on PP, Dirk didn't agree with 5 min, new rule is get away from blind side hit, Alex hits him from behind, not to the head, Mel to get confirmation if this was correct implementation of rule
                        5 min major then, any momentum we had is gone, we have to manage game better, understand when you can hit a guy
                        2-1, Brown PPG, we did a real good job on that PK but puck found its way in
                        Pietila tripping, 10 min misconduct, good call, good penalty, we were frustrated, we'll have to learn to play within rules, UAA is on edge of holding you in zone, can be frustrating, told refs to lets us skate, it's within rules, need to keep our heads and play through it
                        3-1, Heinonen ENG, last year he had 2 all year, he's played hard and played well, Mel's got faith in these players, on ice in last min of game
                        Hats off to our players, didn't give up scoring chance when they pulled goalie
                        Jamie 26 saves, playing well, moments they had chances, Allen came in on breakaway after turnover, Jamie stayed with him
                        Great win, they're a tough team, they were 4-0-1 at one point, hard to sweep teams, we found a way
                        Good for our players, they've kept their heads on straight

They discussed WCHA:
                        Bemidji might've played toughest schedule, UND, Minnesota, UAF, Mankato

Questions for Mel:
                        When was full mask rule instituted in college hockey?
                        1st 3 years, Mel had no face protection, and senior year it was a full masks. so 1980-81, wish we could wear half shields, only league at our level for full face shield.

How do you keep guys from letting polls, PWR from going to their heads?
                        They'll see it, but we try to concentrate on standard of play and things we need to work on better.
                        We've got a lot to prove every week, one game at a time. We discuss it, we don't hide it. Mel had the poll on a piece of paper and tore it up infront of team. That's really what it's worth.

Does Mel plan on starting Jamie until he looses, and when does he get a breather?
                        Yes, plan to continue to play Jamie. At UM they played one goalie a lot, Turco, Shields etc. It's a good formula, it's only 2 games week. He can get a day off in practice if needed.

Does Mel like L'Esperance on Wing or Center?
                        He's played wing, because of our centers. He can play Center, but like big body on wing. Less responsibility on wing in our system. Can be hard for Freshmen playing low in defensive zone, Steman can handle that, better skater/quicker.

Would you like to see major penalties reviewed to make sure the call is right?
                        They should, want the call to be right. We don't play that many games, don't want to kick a guy out for bad call.

Reminder, back home the week after against Mankato. Get your tickets. Thanks to fans for supporting the team. Only 4 home games before Christmas, get your tickets. Real good forwards, had great games with them in Mankato.
                        Sanford center can be loud, they'll be ready. They skate well. We've played teams that have good pace, UM, Ferris. We have to be prepared.
                        Like the attitude of our team. Like our PP/PK. Have to play the game, and get some bounces.

Comment

Also - was that our first time wearing the cream throw back uniforms from last year's GLI? I didn't realize that was a jersey option this year, I like them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            Tech Nation: #AreYouWithUsMan this is all happening crazy fast. When do we get our first big time scandal?

Ryan J
                            John Scott tried to run some people over with his SUV once. Does that count? He's still awesome by the way.

Comment

Thinking more about the Bar/Grill idea. I think the biggest hurdle is convincing the University that it is a good idea, mostly because you'd have to sell booze to make it work. You would have a small bar area inside, with big windows overloooking the ice. Inside you'd have 4-5 high tables, and a bar top, with a small kitchen (nothing fancy, just a deep frier and a grill for burgers and such). Outside the bar, towards the ice, you'd have a 3-tiered drink rail, with bar stools, it would be like a patio outside the bar, only it would be tiered, and overlooking the ice. Partner with a local restaurant or bar, to sponsor it and run it. Think "The Library at the Mac" or "Joey's at the Mac", etc.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                Also - was that our first time wearing the cream throw back uniforms from last year's GLI? I didn't realize that was a jersey option this year, I like them.
                                They wore the 1962 throwback at home last season against Ferris in the 3-0 loss. That made Saturday's game technically the first time the Huskies won a game in that jersey, at least in the eyes of the NCAA. Tech tied MSU in the GLI (advancing in the shootout) then lost to WMU in the final in the only other two times they've donned that look.

Comment

Working...
                                X