X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Wait, people care about D2 football?
    With a D1 hockey program mired in a Perpetual Losing Culture for 30+ years, where else could Tech fans look to experience winning?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
      With a D1 hockey program mired in a Perpetual Losing Culture for 30+ years, where else could Tech fans look to experience winning?
      I didn't think people would stoop that low.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Finally, for the first time since about 2006 (but I think they beat a crappy AHA team the first weekend that year, and followed it up with a Friday win against #1 UND) they came out and dominated in the first week, and set the tone for the season the way they want it to be set. Well done.
        It was 2007. They split the first Inferior Showcase, then swept Mankato before hosting UND, winning Friday and getting kitty-raped on Saturday. We ALL remember how that season went after that.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
          We need to sweep Ferris as payback for the likely pounding they will give us in football.
          Wait...what? Tech has a football team?
          "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
          Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Gee, a former Calumet Copper King who is a pretty good broadcaster and knows the game well volunteers and drives from Lansing on his own dime to help out and you complain.
            no, he is good and he knows the game well. and the players well. too well. I suppose it doesn't matter in this day of video and film everywhere, but ... I would hate to see that knowledge used against us in ... say ... a GLI game. who knows? maybe he's a secret inside guy for our side. I smell conspiracy theory brewing here. maybe he's in line for Dirk's job when Dirk in on Barry Melrose. or, hey, if anyone notices Dirk to start wearing really outrageous outfits, look out Don Cherry!! ( best shot at humor today, I'm down with the crud )
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
              Sorry for not having the live chat working tonight. I was traveling back from seeing my mom, who's in the hospital. Hopefully, we'll have a full slate of moderators this year to keep it going.
              I had agreed to Sunday night work before I realized it was a Sat/Sun game. I'll be there most weeks.
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Hooray double post...

I had no issues with the feed Saturday night, but had to work a few hours Sunday. I was hoping to watch the game on demand after... Anyone know if that's a feature this year?
                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                  Hooray double post...

I had no issues with the feed Saturday night, but had to work a few hours Sunday. I was hoping to watch the game on demand after... Anyone know if that's a feature this year?
                  http://eversport.tv/ice-hockey/wcha

Go to the archive tab

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                    Ah. I was trying to find it on the WCHA.tv site. Looks like I can pick to listen to Dirk too? Can't figure out how to do that though...

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                      I got kicked out once and it froze when trying to buffer a couple times but that could have been my wifi. The annoying thing is when it freezes it asks you to log in again. Then when I log in I get an error saying I'm logged in more than once. So am I logged in or not??? It always makes me re log in twice. In general it was okay. It just seems like we get less for more money this year. Maybe I'll make use of the mobile features when I'm traveling. That would make up for the price change.
                      Good to hear I'm not alone in the getting kicked out, getting the error message when trying to log back in. I noticed that this happens every 20 mins exactly, so they have some work to do on their end if my session is expiring and I have to log back in during the middle of the game.

Otherwise the feed wasn't too bad, but it's a step backwards from last year which is disappointing.

Comment

Mel Pearson show summary for 10-6

Proud of our guys, they put in a real good effort
                        Got a good spread of scoring, strength of the team is our forwards, led by our upperclassmen
                        We have competition, which is healthy, we had a couple players that couldn't travel due to limit, like Evan Anderson that's had some injuries, but he's looked good
                        Baltus has looked good too, real good shape
                        Blacklock missed quite a bit of the summer with knee issues, but he's looked good lately too
                        Makes our jobs as coaches tougher, but it's a good thing

We controlled play for the most part, not a real good start 1st night, they're playing at home, so they were fired up, didn't like our 1st period and last period of weekend
                        Sunday 3rd period, had a big lead got comfortable, just weathered the storm yesterday
                        Penalties were an issue, got us in trouble both nights, especially 3rd period of Sat game
                        We had a real good start Sunday, until penalties started, we have to learn from that, strength of our team will be playing 4 lines all night

On Saturday game:
                        LSSU 1-0, our D zone coverage needs to be better, we didn't pick up coverage, all 5 guys were watching puck
                        1-1, Sturos from Johnstone/Petan - Good movement on PP, 1st unit is real good, we had a good 1st period, important to tie it up
                        Didn't change our PP at all with 1st group, LSSU did a real good job, Damon knew what was going on, but we got movement and created confusion
                        LSSU 2-1, over Jamie's shoulder, good shot, think Jamie would like it back, got caught deep in net, Jamie dropped before the player made a move, bad turnover though, Dman tried to do too much
                        2-2, Petan from Kero, Gillies made a real nice play, has poise and sees ice, Kero used speed, Petan went to the net and buried it
                        Tech 3-2, Gould rebound goal, stopped in front of net, stressed to our players, easy to take a loop and skate by net, another play by Gillies, let play develop
                        LSSU 3-3, Hietila just got out of box, so pretty much a PP goal, we had a player in the lane but didn't block shot
                        We took 4 penalties in 3rd period in a tight game, wont get away with that in future
                        Tech 4-3, Kero from Petan/Heinonen, expecting big things out of Tanner, experience at MN Wild camp was great, learned how hard you have to compete, play made by Petan staying with puck
                        Huge goal 30 seconds after LSSU goal, good bounce back
                        Pietila ENG, PP 1-3, LSSU PP 0-7, huge PK, we took 2 penalties after 4-3 lead, need to play smarter, good job by PKers and Jamie
                        Dzone coverage we talked about Sunday morning, and neutral zone offense, LSSU bottled us up in neutral zone, didn't use speed as much as we could've, much better Sunday

On Sunday game:
                        Different week, long week, we gave team Thursday off, it helped us going into Sunday
                        Little out of routine with a 5PM game, skate/meals etc, not much of a routine being so early in season
                        We were all over them 1st 10 mins, but penalties set in
                        LSSU gets 1st goal, 5 seconds left in 1st period, over Jamie's shoulder, would like it back, poor change by a Tech Dman, 2x1, caught Jamie short side up top, has to get out of his net, Shawhan will work on that with Jamie, one of 5 penalties in 1st period
                        Down 1-0, no panic in locker room, have junior/seniors that have been through it, calming effect
                        1-1, Hietila, nice play by Neville he was good on faceoffs, Hietila made a nice move on goalie, wanted to get the freshmen goalie moving, we were plaing well with nothing to show so big goal
                        2-1, Pietila, great 2nd effort by Reid on backcheck, Johnstone in traffic gets it to Pietila, Blake wired it, big goal
                        3-1, Steman redirect, Watson shot it in, doing a great job, talked to our Defense want more offense from our Dmen, Dylan had a real strong game, improved from 1st to 2nd game huge step, had other great opportunities
                        4-1, Johnstone PPG, made a little adjustment on that PP, put Alex on blueline, moved Hanna more in the middle, that goalie had no chance
                        26 shots in 2nd period, we could've had 8 goals, our guys got after the puck, forecheck pressure and good sound defense
                        5-1, Hietila in 3rd, Gould made some great plays, last year Gould ended the season well, he's in much better shape, a little extra step, part of Shelast working with our program
                        Can see same thing in Heinonen and Baltus too, Gould got a goal, nice assist, did a lot of good things

On goaltending:
                        Did you think about Jamie vs. Kero for Sunday?
                        Not really, Jamie has experience, has won big games. This early in the season felt it was good for Jamie to play and he won Saturday.
                        Jamie was stronger Sunday, not that he had a bad game Saturday.
                        Devin is doing well, pushing Jamie, he could play, but good to get Jamie involved early.

Gillies, Steman, L'Esperance, Auk, Roy all freshmen that played:
                        They played well, Steman scored, strong on faceoffs, Roy calming presence, +2 in each game
                        L'Esperance had a good game, may need to learn to give up puck and get to the net, but good scoring opportunities
                        AUk showed his skating ability, calm and patient, really pleased with our freshmen, credit to Billy

Who is next on doorstep to get in there?
                        Evan Anderson big strong player, has gotten better as we've been on the ice with them in limited time, intrasquad game will be big on Saturday
                        Blacklock continues to get better, he was a bit behind due to injuries, conditioning not quite there has speed and good shot
                        Joe Schuldt big strong kid, a little behind in conditioning, stay at home Dman, has continued to get better
                        Will use next 2 weeks to evaluate, have individual meetings to see where kids are at

WCHA Polls:
                        Mankato/Ferris should be 1/2, they return good players, well coached, have had success, definitely 2 favorites
                        After that we'll be in a dogfight with other teams, UAA, UAF, BGSU, NMU
                        Think we'll have a good rivalry with Ferris, almost wish we played them 4 times this year, starting to form rivalries

Intrasquad game at 6PM Saturday, donations welcome for raising funds for junior hockey.
                        It'll be a great night for our players, get in community learning to give back.
                        We'll sign autographs, team photo given out
                        It'll be big for players, it'll be fast paced intense game, have 2 weeks we aren't playing while Ferris will be. Don't mind 1 week off, but 2 is different.
                        It'll be 2 25 min halves.
                        Good possibility it might be streamed video wise.
                        Our web page has been real good job. Good video highlights, interviews are up from after the games. A lot of info on our webpage.

Copley did well in exhibition games moved down to AHL. Started an exhibition game, was 1st star.
                        JJ got sent down to AHL, one of last cuts by Edmonton.
                        Olson had a real good camp with Panthers, just sent to AHL.
                        Last night we had 12-15 NHL scouts at the game, sometimes talk to some after the game, they're interested in a number of our players. Good for our team.
                        How aware are you before the game that they're there? Some will call some wont, talked to Buffalo/Columbus/Winnipeg before the game. Chicago, Rangers, etc were there that Mel saw.
                        Good/Bad, don't want distractions for players. If you haven't been drafted, Sturos/Hanna, now you could have several teams talking to them. Can become distracting. We'll talk about it this week. We want to help our players have a future in hockey, but need to focus on Tech right now.

Questions for Mel:
                        At what point do you decide who will play Friday?
                        Usually have an idea going into the week for most part. Have to get lines/D pairs in order for practice. Don't put it on the board until Thur. This weekend was Saturday morning at pregame skate.

Matt Roy looks impressive as freshmen. What's status of Dane Birks?
                        Matt was solid this weekend. Dane is ineligible for the year. Dane got a raw deal. It's more of a technicality. Did all core work, SAT work, just a technicality he got caught up on. He's with us, stay here for the year. Penguins are okay with that. He's in a good place and can still develop.
                        Can't practice 1st half of year. But can practice 2nd half, redshirt year for him. It happens, tough on him. He's committed to Tech, good for him. Good decision.
                        Does not lose a year of eligibility. Pittsburgh just called the other day, he can do things off the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                          Ah. I was trying to find it on the WCHA.tv site. Looks like I can pick to listen to Dirk too? Can't figure out how to do that though...
                          Tech support said you will be able to access archives from the WCHA.tv site soon; they are working on it.

As far as listening to Dirk from away sites; unfortunately not an option and doesn't sound like they are planning to make that an option.

Anyone able to access via Android phone? I tried on my Samsung Galaxy III and it doesn't work.

Comment

Interesting stat for opening weekend. Michigan Tech went 81-58 on faceoffs with Neville being the only starting center that wasn't above .500.
                            Pietila was 29-5
                            Steman 19-16
                            Neville 14-22
                            Kero 13-10
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              It was 2007. They split the first Inferior Showcase, then swept Mankato before hosting UND, winning Friday and getting kitty-raped on Saturday. We ALL remember how that season went after that.
                              No we don't.

*takes another handful of PTSD meds*
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                                As far as listening to Dirk from away sites; unfortunately not an option and doesn't sound like they are planning to make that an option.
                                I tried listening to the Tech broadcast team via their own web page on a separate browser tab, but they were 5-10 seconds ahead of the WCHA.TV feed. The time difference was simply too much (both feeds were fine, but just really annoying because of the video time lag) so I just used the LSSU audio via the WCHA.TV feed.

Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X