X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    Lest we forget....Johnstone, Pietila, Kero, Petan, Sweeney and Khaira were all recruited by the Russell administration. Although Mel is a great coach and recruiter, I think anyone who attributes Tech's resurgence solely to him is being naive. I think Russell's staff were pretty good recruiters, but I think Mel's administration is much better at coaching and developing players. I expect UofM will wait a few more years before they go trolling for Mel and if Mel's doing well here, it might be hard to dislodge him. Hockey's a much bigger deal at MTU than it is at UofM.
    Part of the issue with Jamie was that player weren't improving in their 4 years under him. It's great to see player improve and have their best season as a senior. Also, these players wouldn't be playing in this style if Jamie was here, I doubt we'd see this success. It's amazing to think about the opposite philosophy that Jamie had looking for size and grit vs. this speed and skill we're seeing today. On the flip side Mel isn't fielding a team of all his recruits yet, as he said in his show on Monday, he still wants more speed.

Comment

Reid Sturos is an interesting case study. He was recruited shortly after Brighton HS played in Calumet a few years ago, he was nothing like a blue-chip recruit but a pretty big and strong competitor and fit the Russell team pretty well. I don't think there's any chance he would have developed into last February's (?) player of the month and all the production since, playing the old style of play.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Did Mel say on his show that most of the 1964/65 team will be here for the Hall of Fame induction? If so, anyone know if Tony Esposito will be in Houghton?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
          Part of the issue with Jamie was that player weren't improving in their 4 years under him. It's great to see player improve and have their best season as a senior. Also, these players wouldn't be playing in this style if Jamie was here, I doubt we'd see this success. It's amazing to think about the opposite philosophy that Jamie had looking for size and grit vs. this speed and skill we're seeing today. On the flip side Mel isn't fielding a team of all his recruits yet, as he said in his show on Monday, he still wants more speed.
          I stand corrected on Sweeney...he was Mel's. It's a good point that the change in philosophy has had a big effect on player development. I agree that a lot of Jamie's recruits wouldn't have developed the same way under the old system. Still, the last batch of Jamie's recruits are now the top skill players on the team and it will be a big loss when they're gone next year. It would be great if Mel could land another Blake Pietila type player in the near future.

Comment

Did Mel say on his show that most of the 1964/65 team will be here for the Hall of Fame induction? If so, anyone know if Tony Esposito will be in Houghton?
            My understanding is that he will not be, but that could change.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
              interesting post from MGoBlog

Mel Pearson

@mgoblog For your mailbag: M Hockey has basically sucked since Mel Pearson left. Is there a direct correlation?
              — A2 Torch & Pitchfork (@A2Torch) November 2, 2014

I think so.

I mean, I kind of thought so when Pearson went to Tech and they immediately went from punching bag to pretty decent. The year before Pearson arrived in Houghton the Huskies were 4-30-4(!), and the previous two years had seen the Huskies win 5 and 6 games. Pearson helicopters in; they immediately go 16-19-4, their best season since 2005-06, and they've hovered slightly under .500 since. Before Pearson, MTU's had two seasons of 10+ wins since 1999-00.

This year they're going full Mullen. They're 6-0, having swept LSSU and Ferris on the road before blowing Michigan's doors off in a series that was 10-3 total goals. Meanwhile, Michigan has fallen off the map and is facing down what may be their third straight year without a tourney bid of any variety.

By the end of this year or next—Berenson is scheduled to retire after 2014-15 but has made noises about getting out early if he thinks he's not getting it done—Pearson is going to look like a strong candidate for any college hockey job, let alone the one he helped drive to great success. Age is the only drawback—he's 55 currently.

Pearson's biggest obstacle to the Michigan job is in Massachusetts, where UMass-Lowell coach Norm Bazin has done even more incredible work. The year before his arrival UML went 5-25-4. They hadn't been to the tournament since 1996. In Bazin's three years UML has been to the tourney every year,—doubling the number of bids in the history of the program—won their first-ever Hockey East title, and gone to their first-ever Frozen Four. He's in his fourth year there and he's already won HE coach of the year twice and national coach of the year once. Possible difficulty: Bazin's a UML alum.

Even if Bazin doesn't work out, if the worst you can do is Mel Pearson you're gonna have a good coaching search.

The quality of life living up there is worth Pearson staying put. The area is just plain beautiful.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                The quality of life living up there is worth Pearson staying put. The area is just plain beautiful.
                Biggest thing I miss about home living here in stinky badgerland...
                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

He's not. And it sounds like the guys who DID show up are a little ticked about it.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    He's not. And it sounds like the guys who DID show up are a little ticked about it.
                    What's the backstory here? I just know he's not been back.. what's the reason?
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                      What's the backstory here? I just know he's not been back.. what's the reason?
                      Not entirely sure. Tony took two classes that my dad taught back in the 1960's, and always seemed to enjoy his time in Houghton. For some reason, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Too bad, that would be a great thing to see him back.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        Not entirely sure. Tony took two classes that my dad taught back in the 1960's, and always seemed to enjoy his time in Houghton. For some reason, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Too bad, that would be a great thing to see him back.
                        Called Houghton/Tech the "armpit of the Midwest". enough about him.

Hopefully they get a good crowd this weekend and the team keeps rolling.
                        Last edited by eye4talent; 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM.
                        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                          Called Houghton/Tech the "armpit of the Midwest". enough about him.

Hopefully they get a good crowd this weekend and the team keeps rolling.
                          2,231 of 2,900 assigned seats have been sold for Friday already, not including suites, GA, etc.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            2,231 of 2,900 assigned seats have been sold for Friday already, not including suites, GA, etc.
                            I was just up at the SDC for a workout. Long line at the ticket office, I've never seen it like that at lunchtime before. Also there were some dudes in green skating around, and the whole place stunk like fresh seawolf. Kind of like tuna fish, but furrier.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              I was just up at the SDC for a workout. Long line at the ticket office, I've never seen it like that at lunchtime before. Also there were some dudes in green skating around, and the whole place stunk like fresh seawolf. Kind of like tuna fish, but furrier.
                              What's a seawolf?
                              Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                              Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

I have friends in Florida who know Tony socially. they say he never bad mouths Tech or the area, instead speaks quite fondly. but this is at odds with him being a no show for this weekend. wish we did know the whole story.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X