X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    This thread has been entertaining...
    Until Hakstol can actually deliver a championship, you need to remain silent.
    "Michigan Tech is to NCAA Hockey, what the Original Six is to the NHL" - Ryan Johnson

Comment

Watch Tech sweep all the way through Mankato and then lose here in Huntsville. There would be rioting in the streets, and well ... I'm a big dude and an easy target!

GFM <— dreaming, heh
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by 626575NC View Post
        He obviously doesn't float enough goalies up the Red.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by 626575NC View Post
          You sure told me...
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......*takes a breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Stop, man, you're killin' me. *wipestearfromface*
            I'm not kidding, and that's the really funny part, right! Hahahaha!!!!

Minnesota has dropped a few in Houghton and we didn't have the speed or defense we have this year. Too bad they aren't playing because I'd make a public bet with you. I'm not talking about a #3 at McDonalds, I'd start at $500 a game and a photo of you holding a sign saying, "I think I'm funny". I'd hang that on the wall next to my (BUF) John Scott autographed photo of me getting his (CHI) autograph (think about that a minute).

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              Watch Tech sweep all the way through Mankato and then lose here in Huntsville. There would be rioting in the streets, and well ... I'm a big dude and an easy target!

GFM <— dreaming, heh
              If our first loss came in Alabama I'd be honored to drop both to UAH. I'm glad they're staying in games this year. Last year wasn't fun to watch, except when you guys rolled into Bemidji.

Comment

A lot of conversation in here, don't mean to clog the discussion about the rankings/ the team, but for anyone that missed here's a Mel Pearson show summary. Dirk came across as being pretty excited.

Mel Pearson Show summary for 11-03:

important to get Ws, but what a weekend, with UM here, Stanley Cup, students lined up and fans in the building
                A lot of credit to Suzanne Sanregret, Joel Isaccson, and others, everyone did a great job
                Mel talked to Stanley Cup handlers, both said everything was 1st rate how it was set up, no issues with anyone
                Dirk didn't notice nerves out of Mel: Our players have shown they are usually ready, as coach you have a feel if team is ready. Don't kid yourself, Mel was nervous, but being so busy don't think about PP and other items constantly.
                Last 4 games we've gotten 1st goal. Gets crowd into game at home. We were a little unsure how we'd come out and play at home, but our guys were fired up. Need a standard of play at home, one is to get lead and play well 1st shift.
                Great crowd even when players came out in pregame warmups, great for players, credit to students
                The past is the past, but we believe in ourselves, we wont go undefeated, main thing is to set standard of play so you have a chance to win every night. Maybe hoped to beat someone in the past, now we can. Our team is grounded, coaches need to make sure they stay grounded.

On Friday:
                We were ready to play, guys were excited for 1st home game. This team is interesting, there's a looseness, coach can be concerned how loose they are, but they're confident and loose.
                1-0, Sturos, we talked all week we had to get to the net more. Reid was driving the net.
                Had several 5on3s, hadn't practiced that much, goalie and PKers all did a great job
                2-0, Kero on a delayed call, great read by Watson to get puck to Kero
                3-0, Hyland off the boards, hard to get puck through, so sometimes D shoots it off the board, got a break on that
                3-1 UM goal, Larkin, they're dangerous, remember Larkin, he'll be very good for Red Wings, they like to have the late player coming in
                4-1, ENG Gould, both teams 0-6 on PP, we were out of sorts, credit to them, they hadn't given up PPG in 14 straight tries, we were hanging on in 3rd, they came after us, we found a way to grind it out
                We've gotten a lot better at blocking shots, need to get a few more guys to buy in, but we were real good Saturday especially

On Saturday game:
                1-0, Kero on breakaway, great read by Kero, both UM Dmen got anxious and didn't see Tanner, read the cross ice pass and intercepted it
                Phillips made a great save earlier, and then Kero scores, such a fine line between leading/trailing
                2-0 PPG Heinonen, big goal, PP played well, happy for Tyler
                Important to make some changes for competition, we had a long discussion Friday night and Saturday, prob 40 mins, Mel had a thought he'd like to get a few guys because they practiced hard and get fresh legs, really proud of way players that aren't playing have kept themselves involved and in shape, Heinonen and Hietila came in and played well
                2-1 Copp scores, nice play, we had a turnover, they transitioned, bad read on D, couldn't recover
                3-1 PPG Johnstone, Blake P. being in middle hadn't practiced it much this year, but wanted to change it a bit, good change, gives a different look to keep PKers off guard
                4-1 PPG Pietila, we won faceoff, really good on faceoff, Blake won 19 of 23 faceoffs, that PP unit moved puck, talked to someone after game that said our PP movement was incredible, happy for Blake has 4 goals in 6 games, had 1 at Xmas last year
                5-1 PPG Petan, great job by Hanna to keep it in, Sturos stood in front and goalie couldn't see shot, we'll need more traffic in front of net
                They had an extended 5-3, PKers did great, they missed a few nets too, not comfortable with 4 goal lead as coaches
                5-2 UM scores right away, all 3 of their goals were similar on the rush
                Jamie had a few huge saves, we had a few breaks too, games were closer than scores
                6-2, Baltus from Hietila, big sigh of relief at that point, happy for Baltus, played well and adds to our depth, no one scored more than 1 goal in the game, scoring spread around
                Our PP was good, liked how we moved the puck and have 2 units going

On UAA:
                7:30 start Friday, hall of fame induction ceremony
                UAA 1-1 in WCHA, we did not beat them last year, lost and tied
                They've got explosive forwards, good size and good defensively without the puck, we have to be ready
                They're physical, we have to be ready to play strong and grind it out
                They games are important for WCHA points
                The 1964/65 national championship hockey team will be inducted, important for us to welcome them back
                Most of the guys will be back, very neat experience
                Tommy Bisset will be inducted, Mel played with his brother, coached Tom, stayed in touch with Tom, classy guy, good hockey player
                He got better every year, senior year was his best, that's what you hope for, he was skilled

Questions for Mel:

Mel request non-conference ideas for teams.
                Some teams, MI, Minn, MSU, UW, we've had those teams here recently. We have a contract with UW. Hopefully UM and MSU we can get back.
                Notre Dame, we went down there, talk to Jeff Jackson quite a bit.
                UMD - a top ten team coming here this year, a couple year hiatus.
                A lot of good teams on that list, gotten calls from DU and Union lately. We'll continue to get good teams in.
                Is it realistic to expect some top rated teams on our future schedule? Yes, good to show us putting on a good show this weekend with a full house. UM was treated great.

With the extra players trying to get into lineup, how do you get players to play with confidence vs. a guy worried about making a mistake?
                We're positive as coaches, trying to build players up, tell them to take advantage of their opportunities. Baltus, Hietila, Heinonen all had confidence and played well. Players know they don't have to do it by themselves. Put them with good players to get/keep confidence.
                The players have stayed positive.

Did you have recruits in to experience the great atmosphere?
                We had 3 on the weekend, tried to get a few more, but hard with most players playing right now. We have another one today.
                It does make a difference with the atmosphere, recruits also want to see style of play etc.

With early signing period soon, how many NLIs?
                Probably 5 of 6, not finalized, but there are players most people are familiar with. 2nd Wed, maybe right before Bemidji will let that out.

How did you feel coaching against former recruits?
                Did that last year too, but so dialed into the game, no real time to think about it. Want those guys to do well, sure they will. A lot were very complimentary going through postgame line.

When do you watch recruit and when can you contact them?
                We start watching freshmen year of high school. Go from there, rules you can contact them sophomore year after Jan 1. via phone/text.

What's Mel's opinion on his team speed?
                Would like to get faster. Speed is great, quickness/speed is hard to stop. Use it on forecheck/backcheck etc. We're adding some in the future, a couple kids coming in can get up the sheet. Our speed is better than average, but would like to see it get better.

Mel - has a ref ever admitted to blowing a call?
                No, after the game is after the fact. Have heard them say they missed it/didn't see it. Tough job.

Also, when you hear of ref assignment, do you tell them team about a ref's reputation?
                No we don't discuss refs with team. Only sometimes to tell players to back off refs and play the game. Mel usually doesn't get concerned with ref assignments.

It's not on the boxscore but Dmen are making good breakout passes, can you elaborate on improvement of the D?
                It's huge, they've done a great job, the skill level back there is really good. Even Auk who hasn't been in much has great vision, he'll play a lot for us.
                Hyland had a good weekend, best weekend Mel's see Walker play. Him with Leibinger have something going right now. Roy has been outstanding as a freshmen. Has a heavy wrist shot.

How competitive is practice right now?
                Very competitive, almost to the point tell guys to back off and take it easy on each other.

Thanks again to UM for coming up, we've played them 3rd most in our history.
                Shout out to guys for brining up the Stanly Cup trophy, they drove from Toronto. That really added to the weekend. Thanks to the hockey hall of fame.

Comment

Yuck. DU called? I hope Mel told them exactly where they can shove it.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    Their pocketbook :P
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I wouldn't mind sweeping a series in Denver but other than that, I have no interest in seeing Demver on the schedule again.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Michigan Tech also breaks into the USA Today Poll at #9.

http://www.usahockey.com/college
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ranked #9 in the USA Today/USA Hockey poll as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                            I'd hang that on the wall next to my (BUF) John Scott autographed photo of me getting his (CHI) autograph (think about that a minute).
                            I suspected as much. Welcome back JSR.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              yuck. Du called? I hope mel told them exactly where they can shove it.
                              fu du
                              "Michigan Tech is to NCAA Hockey, what the Original Six is to the NHL" - Ryan Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Michigan Tech also breaks into the USA Today Poll at #9.

http://www.usahockey.com/college
                                No first place votes with them though. ***?

Comment

Working...
                                X