X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Um, I said the B1G is weak, except for MN.

WI is a train wreck (ha ha, Barry!), MI has lost its luster, and frankly, the other schools are consistently not good at all.

Take a lesson from the elders in your fanbase. Don't get too lippy, just enjoy the ride.
    I appreciate all the free advice. The opinions expressed by individuals on this website don't speak for the fanbase- they're one slice of a much greater pie. My advice to you is to take a jab without getting riled up or getting personal. This is a game. If you aren't having fun you should find a different hobby.

I enjoy the ride whether the team wins or loses. I like the kids they are putting on the ice because they represent the school so well. It's a miracle you can find kids bright enough to pass the classes and still athletic enough to play at a high level. Reid Sturos is a prime example. He's a winner.

As far as the Big 10, they're special this year. Minnesota can be the king of the cupcakes and that's good for them. They're still a dangerous team regardless of their weak conference. They'll probably make the Frozen Four with the cupcake autobid, and they may well win the championship. They're just going to have a lot of frosting to clean up along the way. Since we're all about giving advice I'd say make sure you grease the pan before cooking and use a spatula instead of a spoon for the icing. Buttermilk is high in calories but when you're eating a cupcake you're not trying to eat healthy you're trying to enjoy yourself. Now go enjoy yourself, but not with such a serious attitude.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Let's slow our roll a little bit. Bi6 "easy games"... "cupcake teams"... Let's be realistic here. Show me one person who thought Michigan was going to be two easy wins BEFORE the season started? Not schedule the Bi6 teams because it hurts our strength of schedule? I don't know if I would go that far.

Now when the season ends, we may look back and say that playing certain teams hurt us, but I don't see anyone on the schedule that was put there because they were going to be "easy". That has not been the staff's plan since day one. They have always tried to schedule the best possible teams to get that tough non-conference schedule should the NCAA committee be looking at our body of work. The games against Michigan last year and this year were no doubt aided by the many years Mel and Red shared behind the bench at Michigan. Will they continue to play us frequently, I would honestly say no. Not because they are not good games, but I would say the GLI is the biggest hurdle to MTU and Michigan playing a normal non-conference series on a regular basis. I could see that becoming an every 3 or 4 year thing so that most players on the team will play them once. The same could be said for MichSU and Western. I think playing them as often as possible is good for the program by increasing exposure with down-state MTU alumni. But again, if the GLI is going to become a Michigan tourney, then I think that again would cause other Michigan teams to not really want to schedule the Huskies. "We see you guys at GLI almost every other year..."

As for other top teams, as I stated previously the need for non-conference games by the Bi6 and NCHC will get the Huskies games against those teams should Mel see a benefit in playing them. I expect they will be 1 for 1 deals or Mel will look elsewhere. I also expect that Mel will continue to try and find one series a year that benefits a "growing" program and do for others what many have done for the Huskies over the years.

If the Huskies continue to win over the years this will also drive the top teams to Houghton. Not only will they need NC games, but they will also want to play a top team without having to travel 1000s of miles. Winning solves many problems and scheduling is just one of them that will take care of itself if the team takes care of business on the ice.

If our biggest problem is that our "tough" non-conference schedule is actually hurting our ranking, that's a good problem in my opinion.

Go Tech!
      Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
        I appreciate all the free advice. The opinions expressed by individuals on this website don't speak for the fanbase- they're one slice of a much greater pie.
        While that may be true, we have an image as a fanbase to uphold as well. Just because we are finding success in ONE SEASON after 30+ seasons of misery, doesn't mean we get to become arrogant *****holes overnight.

Sure, we should to celebrate our victories and success. No one is arguing that the B1G mistake is strong, we all know they are not having their best season......so far. This is still a very young season, and many things can happen between now and March.

If you feel the need to be a dick, fine, whatever. Just remember, what goes around comes around - and we've been in their current position, waaaay more than they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
          I enjoy the ride whether the team wins or loses. I like the kids they are putting on the ice because they represent the school so well. It's a miracle you can find kids bright enough to pass the classes and still athletic enough to play at a high level. Reid Sturos is a prime example. He's a winner.
          I may be the first on USCHO to agree with something you say...?

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
          While that may be true, we have an image as a fanbase to uphold as well. Just because we are finding success in ONE SEASON after 30+ seasons of misery, doesn't mean we get to become arrogant *****holes overnight.

Sure, we should to celebrate our victories and success. No one is arguing that the B1G mistake is strong, we all know they are not having their best season......so far. This is still a very young season, and many things can happen between now and March.

If you feel the need to be a dick, fine, whatever. Just remember, what goes around comes around - and we've been in their current position, waaaay more than they have.
          I'm glad that Tech fans are enjoying this very, VERY young season so far... but there is so much more to go. It does make me sad to see everyone get such big heads already. Remember your roots, people! Where has the humbleness gone? I can already tell that my fellow Tech fans *expect* to win every night. Weird. I'm still hoping for wins every night... one game at a time. I think that when you go from hoping to win a game expecting to win a game, the victory itself loses its value.

This weekend versus UAA should be a good matchup. It's so awesome to see UAA doing well. Hopefully they'll suck this weekend and do well the rest of the way. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them leave Houghton with some points.
          Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
            I appreciate all the free advice. The opinions expressed by individuals on this website don't speak for the fanbase- they're one slice of a much greater pie. My advice to you is to take a jab without getting riled up or getting personal. This is a game. If you aren't having fun you should find a different hobby.

As far as the Big 10, they're special this year. Minnesota can be the king of the cupcakes and that's good for them. They're still a dangerous team regardless of their weak conference. They'll probably make the Frozen Four with the cupcake autobid, and they may well win the championship. They're just going to have a lot of frosting to clean up along the way. Since we're all about giving advice I'd say make sure you grease the pan before cooking and use a spatula instead of a spoon for the icing. Buttermilk is high in calories but when you're eating a cupcake you're not trying to eat healthy you're trying to enjoy yourself. Now go enjoy yourself, but not with such a serious attitude.
            You're so cute when you have your chest all puffed out.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MeanEgirl View Post
              It does make me sad to see everyone get such big heads already. Remember your roots, people! Where has the humbleness gone? I can already tell that my fellow Tech fans *expect* to win every night. Weird.
              Naw, it's just giddiness cause nobody expected a 6-0 start. Enjoying it before things inevitably shake out. We'll settle down after the first loss.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                Naw, it's just giddiness cause nobody expected a 6-0 start. Enjoying it before things inevitably shake out. We'll settle down after the first loss.
                Yeah, but I'm not sure there is a team on the schedule with the ability to beat this Tech team. Isn't Cornell '70? Or do I have the wrong year?
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

its hard not to be giddy. tArrogance we are trying to keep in check until after GLI. we will have losses. no question.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    we will have losses. no question.
                    Let's not talk about next season until after April.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Yeah, but I'm not sure there is a team on the schedule with the ability to beat this Tech team. Isn't Cornell '70? Or do I have the wrong year?
                      Bemidji looked really good against Alaska Friday and Tech has to go there in two weeks. Minnesota state is strong the week after. Michigan is young and will be a better team in two months. Duluth is no slouch. There are plenty of tough series ahead. The nc games are critical. With a strong nc schedule you can afford a few conf losses here or there.

And challenging Minnesota? C'mon people. You can't be serious. Can we skate with. Minnesota? Maybe, maybe not. Who have we played as a measuring stick on that? A victory is even farther from a foregone conclusion. I know 6 wins is more than we win most YEARS, but sit back down and see where things stand in January.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                        C'mon people. You can't be serious.
                        Again, don't worry. We're kidding. Livin' the dream for a few days.

Three straight sweeps, two against teams with high expectations, is worth a little chest-thumping in celebration. It's been a long long time since we've had a month like this at Tech. We'll have plenty of time for humility after it wears off.
                        Last edited by geezer; 11-02-2014, 05:39 PM.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Three of our players made terrible Halloween costume choices (related to NFL players who have been in the news) and documented it on Instagram, but the photo has been deleted. Smart move.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                            Three of our players made terrible Halloween costume choices (related to NFL players who have been in the news) and documented it on Instagram, but the photo has been deleted. Smart move.
                            Well, smart move, but is it too late? Honest question: will they be disciplined/talked to?

The intelligence of youth today...the internet is everywhere. Don't put that stuff out there.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                              That's just stupid.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I've emailed the results of the non-conference opponents poll to Dirk and the coaches. Here they are for everyone else:
                                1. Michigan 4.520
                                2. Minnesota 4.404
                                3. Michigan State 4.303
                                4. Wisconsin 4.160
                                5. Boston College 4.021
                                6. Notre Dame 4.020
                                7. Boston University 3.837
                                8. Minnesota–Duluth 3.809
                                9. RPI 3.645
                                10. North Dakota 3.628
                                11. Western Michigan 3.372
                                12. Ohio State 3.358