X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2014-2015

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    that's about where they should be, given the inertia of the polls and having just one really good weekend under their belts, but it stings after that one good weekend to be ranked behind Ferris. Should have taken them (and their overall losing record) down this week, and be in the 16 spot.
    It's just a little surprising that Northern and Robert Morris are both undefeated and unranked.
    It was pretty predictable that MTU would not rise and much as FSU fell...its just the way these things work.

EDIT: USA Today Poll is out and Michigan Tech didn't make the cut...first one out with Ferris sitting at 15 with over twice as many points at MTU.
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 10-27-2014, 01:11 PM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by 626575NC View Post
      If they are not in the top 10, the voters need to be fired.
      I can not disagree with Tech being placed #17. The polls ALWAYS have been more about what you done in the past (years) that what you have done recently. If the polls were about what you have done this year, then the top teams should be your undefeated teams at this point in the season, even if you've gone 2-0-0 in Atlantic Hockey. I don't know of a poll in any sport other than college hockey where apparently losing a game means nothing as long as you've been good in the past. Much like college football, the schedule is what it is. If you have a weak schedule there isn't much you can do. You shouldn't be penalized for beating a weaker team. All you can do are win the games you are scheduled to play.

Here are this week's examples of why the college hockey polls are based on past success, not current results:

1 Minnesota 4- 0-0
      2 Union 5- 1-0
      3 North Dakota 4- 1-1
      4 Colgate 5- 1-0
      5 Boston College 3- 1-0
      6 Boston Univ 3- 0-0
      7 SCSU 2- 2-0
      8 Mass-Lowell 3- 1-1
      9 Providence 1- 2-1
      10 Miami 4- 2-0
      11 Denver 3- 1-0
      12 Minnesota State 4- 2-0
      13 Vermont 4- 0-0
      14 Ferris State 2- 3-0
      15 Michigan 2- 3-0

16 Alaska 5- 1-0
      17 Michigan Tech 4- 0-0
      18 Cornell 0- 0-0
      19 Minn-Duluth 3- 3-0
      20 Notre Dame 4- 2-0

RJ's rules of polling "top" teams (after week 1 - preseason poll pick whoever you want):
      1) If you don't have a winning record, you're out.
      2) If you haven't played a game against a US based NCAA D-I team, yeah I'm talking to you Cornell, you're out.
      3) If you haven't beaten at least one team in the top-25, you're out*.
      * Unless you are undefeated and meet the other criteria. If you're in a weak conference and that is your schedule, all you can do is win the games you play. You can't control if your league sucks.

RJ's Top Ten of "What Have You Done for Me Lately?"
      or What if College Hockey was Ranked Like College Football?
      1. Robert Morris 5-0-1
      2. Michigan Tech 4-0-0
      2. Minnesota 4-0-0
      2. Northern Michigan 4-0-0
      2. Vermont 4-0-0
      6. Boston Univ 3-0-0
      7. AK-Fairbanks 5-1-0
      7. Colgate 5-1-0
      7. Union 5-1-0
      10. Merrimack 4-1-0
      (I only included Merrimack to slight UND)
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

There are 40 scattered seats left for Saturday's game. How many standing room tix will they sell, what's the max capacity?
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          It was pretty predictable that MTU would not rise and much as FSU fell...its just the way these things work.

EDIT: USA Today Poll is out and Michigan Tech didn't make the cut...first one out with Ferris sitting at 15 with over twice as many points at MTU.
          I agree.....nobody doubts that Tech's a tough team to play and belongs in the top third of programs nationally. However, top ten teams should be consistently good. Tech has been hot and cold in recent years and it's going to take some time to see if they can be consistent. The U of M series this weekend will be huge. Glad I got my tickets early.

Comment

A couple wins this weekend against the ugly helmets are huge. At the end of the year, losses against cupcakes from **** conferences can really kill the PWR. And don't kid yourself, look at the W/L columns, the BIG is the cupcake conference.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The only poll that matters is currently at SiouxSports.com.

That one currently has four WCHA schools in the top ten in the nation.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Jamies Phillips, WCHA Defensive Player of the Week.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  The only poll that matters is currently at SiouxSports.com.

That one currently has four WCHA schools in the top ten in the nation.
                  Isn't that that the exact same thing as PWR?
                  "Michigan Tech is to NCAA Hockey, what the Original Six is to the NHL" - Ryan Johnson

Comment

It is the pairwise...I'm guessing he chose that source since USCHO never used to publish PWR until much later in the season.

I won't put much stock in the PWR until around Christmas.

Comment

On the Mel Pearson Show today Mel asked to hear from the fans about which non-conference teams they'd like to see in Houghton.

I put together a survey.

Share the link with Huskies fans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                        On the Mel Pearson Show today Mel asked to hear from the fans about which non-conference teams they'd like to see in Houghton.

I put together a survey.

Share the link with Huskies fans everywhere!
                        Very cool. Although I question the percentage calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                          Very cool. Although I question the percentage calculations.
                          The percentage calculations are off because I submitted a blank survey a couple times to get to the results page, and those non-responses get counted.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                            The percentage calculations are off because I submitted a blank survey a couple times to get to the results page, and those non-responses get counted.
                            Ahha. I was just giving you a hard time. Once again a USCHO poster steps up. good work.

Comment

It is.
                              It is the pairwise...I'm guessing he chose that source since USCHO never used to publish PWR until much later in the season.
                              ... and they're the only one to start the PWR early.

I won't put much stock in the PWR until around Christmas.
                              The very early PWR numbers make as much sense as the polls, poles, pols, whatever that USA Today picks.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                There are 40 scattered seats left for Saturday's game. How many standing room tix will they sell, what's the max capacity?
                                I'd like to know the answer to these too. I'm going to shoot some people a note and see if they'll give me some information.

Looks like there are about 25 singles left for Saturday. There are probably going to be some UM-AA (that's what I call them now) fans there that can't make it to Friday. There are probably some parents that want to go trick or treating with the kids on Friday too, so maybe Friday won't sell out in advance.

Halloween was always fun when I was a student there. The costumes and atmosphere were great, and that's when we really, really sucked.

I'm calling the Tech sweep, 6-3 and 5-4 with 4000 and 4300 attending.

Comment

Working...
                                X