LSSU Lakers 2014-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2014-15

I was at Taffy Abel yesterday, obviously a lot of work to do for the Lakers. When it turned into a special teams battle for a while, that really hurt LSSU since those are the situations you really need to practice so you understand the systems and positioning. Defiel played very well and kept it competitive, and with 5 freshman defensemen out of 7 they were certainly given some on-the-job training. The shoulders dropped on the bench after the first MTU goal, but the compete level wasn't bad for most of the game. Globke got dinged in the second period and really wasn't the same after that - he needs to be healthy and play extended minutes (especially when only 11 forwards are dressed).

They'll give a good effort and if they get some goaltending, the Lakers have a chance to move up from that predicted 9th spot. They should get a lot of credit if they indeed manage that.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZU6DYwTDM

One series with no practice and the Randy Quaid's of LSSU are already spewing vitriol.
      Last edited by CKrouth; 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I didn't see anyone upset or acting like that in the stands.

The one guy who wants the Lakers to lose so he can laugh is was down state in the metro area. The other fellow just needs his meds tweaked so he can join the rest of us in reality.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
          I didn't see anyone upset or acting like that in the stands.

The one guy who wants the Lakers to lose so he can laugh is was down state in the metro area. The other fellow just needs his meds tweaked so he can join the rest of us in reality.
          I was referring to the people on here, not in the stands Perky.

Comment

Me too.
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
              The Lakers were manhandled both nights? Did you even go to the games?

They were right in the thick of things until the last few minutes of Saturday's game. Tonight, Tech pulled away at the half-way point.

These kids had a grand total of six hours practice time with their coaches, and start the season against a Tech team that returns 85% of its scoring from last year while the Lakers iced 14 underclassmen, and the Lakers were "manhandled"?

They were as you would expect: green at times, good at times, not good enough to beat Tech, but not embarrassed,either.

Diefeil (sp?) had a good outing overall. He made some impressive stops, and looked confident. At least four of the goals against him this weekend were because his defense lost coverage below the hash-marks, leaving him exposed.

Perfetto had a good weekend, he made good rushes and created some opportunities.

The most glaring weak spot, to me, was defensive coverage down low. Assignments were missed. When you're a young team that's not surprising. You can learn the game at a higher level in relative anonymity if you're a forward; as defensemen,not so much. The key is to eliminate those missed assignments as the season goes on.

Brand new coaching staff, three goalies in which a sophomore is considered the seasoned vet, with seven freshmen and seven sophomores,how is there NOT going to be growing pains?

I saw a Laker team that skated hard and played until the end. It is already apparent this team will be much better condition-wise, and this will pay dividends as the season progresses.
              I wasn't at the games, but from listening to the broadcasts that pretty much matches my impression. In addition to Tech taking advantage of some Freshmen D mistakes down low, it sounded like Loesch also make a couple of D mistakes further out, especially on Saturday.

One thing I've heard Damon say a couple of times now that I find encouraging is that the Lakers need to be a better conditioned team. The guys are working hard on it and making improvements but they're still not where they need to be. It takes time. They say that a key to correcting a problem/weakness is first acknowledging that it exists, so it is nice to hear the coach say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                Based on the pregame show on Saturday, it sounds like it might happen again with Ferris next year, due to non-conference scheduling. Daniels and Whitten were going to decide based on this weekend.
                Well after this weekend, Damon will probably want to avoid this unless there's absolutely no other option avaiable. Also Sunday games are not good for attendance.

I'm glad the next four games are non-conference. Good way to get experience for our young defensemen and work on special teams before the NMU games in three weeks.
                Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 10-06-2014, 02:27 PM.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  I wasn't at the games, but from listening to the broadcasts that pretty much matches my impression. In addition to Tech taking advantage of some Freshmen D mistakes down low, it sounded like Loesch also make a couple of D mistakes further out, especially on Saturday.

One thing I've heard Damon say a couple of times now that I find encouraging is that the Lakers need to be a better conditioned team. The guys are working hard on it and making improvements but they're still not where they need to be. It takes time. They say that a key to correcting a problem/weakness is first acknowledging that it exists, so it is nice to hear the coach say so.
                  The idea of a better conditioned team makes me laugh . The returning players have almost 7 months before the new season starts and conditioning is a problem. It is called getting yourself in the best shape of your life before the new season begins and you have 7 months to work on it. The incoming players have to understand they are entering a bigger and stronger league and so working out to get to that level should be a priority as they wait to join the team for a new challenge. Do the players need to have their hands held as they workout to improve their conditioning or do they just don't care ? Why the hell would a coach have to tell his players they need to condition themselves. This is not rocket science.

Comment

The coach setup requirements for the players on certain physical conditioning after he was hired. A new coaching staff mostly freshmen d-core all learning a new system,it's going to take a little time.

I don't know what else to tell you other than maybe save your money and health and take up tidalie winks.
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

It sounds like Ciotti will be out for a few weeks. I didn't catch what kind of injury he has.

Comment

perky enough. Anyone involved in sports doesn't need to wait for someone to hold their hand to workout on their own. My god.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          It sounds like Ciotti will be out for a few weeks. I didn't catch what kind of injury he has.
                          I think he was slashed and may have a cut on his hand. At least that's what it looked like.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Bill Crawford himself said that conditioning has been an issue for the team the past few years.
                            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

A new commit? Coach Whitten referenced a new commit this morning on Twitter. I found this about Ian Johnston out of Kanata.

https://twitter.com/OTBPuckWatch/sta...16606817665024

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
                                A new commit? Coach Whitten referenced a new commit this morning on Twitter. I found this about Ian Johnston out of Kanata.

https://twitter.com/OTBPuckWatch/sta...16606817665024
                                Makes sense. I know they had a kid in for a visit this past weekend. At this point, they are likely recruiting young guys for future (2016-17 and beyond) seasons and this kid is a 97 birth date.

Update: Chris Dilks has also reported (on his blog) that Johnston has committed to the Lakers for the 2016-17 season. Johnston was a 5th round draft pick in the OHL (last year).
                                Last edited by Bill; 10-07-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X