Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Since everyone seems to be hesitant to move away from the "Maybe Dick" 2014 postseason thread, I'll step up and get this one started. I don't think there's any question the upcoming UNH Men's Hockey season promises to be quite a different experience for long-time fans of the program. It's been awhile since we've seen such an exodus of players from one season to the next - to the point where there is not a single senior projecting to get any playing time on the blue line, and likely only one returning defenseman who will even be a junior, while plans for a returning 3 year starter between the pipes seem to have had a (likely permanent) setback. Freshman defensemen will need to fill as many as 3 of the 6 slots on the blueline (possibly more), and the projected goalies for this season not currently out on bail have played less than a period at the D-1 level.

To get a sense of what's missing ... the three departing defensemen (Knodel, TvR and Agosta) were not only the defensive stalwarts of last year's team, but they were also the team's 4th thru 6th highest scorers.

Up front, with top two scorers Goumas and Sorkin having moved on, the remainder of the returning forwards not named Willows or Downing combined for a total of twenty (20) goals between them, with Kelleher tops in that group at 5 goals. It's not even like last year's team was a scoring dynamo - certainly not in comparison to the high-scoring UNH teams from early in Coach Umile's tenure. But he is going to have to rely on several of the incoming freshmen to step up with significant first-year contributions for UNH to even hope to tread water with their offensive output. And in a season where many on the backline (AND all of the goalies) are going to be learning by the seat of their pants in the deep end of the pool (holy mixed metaphors Batman! ), this projects to be a team that's going to NEED to score a lot to cover for some of the unavoidable and to-be-expected growing pains.

Throw in a daunting early season NC schedule, and I'm not optimistic about the team getting off to a quick start (no more "Defending Champions of November" I fear ), with the more realistic outlook seeming to be that *maybe* the team will gradually progress and begin to make some forward progress by the time they hit the meat of the Hockey East schedule in early 2015. In some ways, I almost like the idea that there will be zero expectations and zero pressure on this year's team, and whatever they might accomplish will be a happy bonus for us all. And then we can get on board early and embrace the "Wait "Til Next Year!" concept.

From the standpoint of Coach Umile ... it might not be a bad opportunity to "reboot" and look at adopting some new approaches to things with a very young and still-moldable crew of underclassmen who he will be depending upon heavily to resurrect the program to the top tier of Hockey East and (hopefully) nationally in what has to be considered the final few seasons of his tenure at UNH. Bringing Coach Stewart on board may have been an important first step to changing things up a little bit. Certainly Coach Umile has a great chance to remind everyone that he's a pretty darned good coach, and by pushing a young team like this one towards the top earlier than others might expect, he could nab another Coach of the Year award. But I'm sure our very own "Captain Ahab" would give them all up for another shot at that elusive white whale. Time is not on his side, but he's gotta be coaching at this point for a reason, and I for one hope against hope he eventually gets what has been so elusive for so long now. Good luck 'Cats on what promises to be a compelling season!!
    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 09-26-2014, 12:58 PM.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Yikes! I think I'll crawl back under my rock. See you next September!

In all seriousness, if the strength of our recruiting classes (per CHC) prove out, I think it will be exciting to see the development over the course of the year, even if we're a sub-500 team.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

I am still thinking 6th place in Hockey East, forever the optimist.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Yikes! I think I'll crawl back under my rock. See you next September!

In all seriousness, if the strength of our recruiting classes (per CHC) prove out, I think it will be exciting to see the development over the course of the year, even if we're a sub-500 team.
        Ha! I hear you about that rock... Like you tho, my take on this season is exactly that...what is going to play out and how far will the team go? I think the focus is keeping it real and look for those positives! BTW Chuck excellent post on where we basically stand. This years class is very exciting and what's coming is as well! Keep it real.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Ha! I hear you about that rock... Like you tho, my take on this season is exactly that...what is going to play out and how far will the team go? I think the focus is keeping it real and look for those positives! BTW Chuck excellent post on where we basically stand. This years class is very exciting and what's coming is as well! Keep it real.
          BTW - I too was surprised not to see Willows on MUR. Maybe he didn't have a sound bite that they thought was useful....
          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

"Somebody asked me - you know, how come it took you so long to win a national championship?
            And I said .... I'm a slow learner; but you notice when I learn something, I have it down pretty good."

John Wooden

Hope springs eternal .......

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
              "Somebody asked me - you know, how come it took you so long to win a national championship?
              And I said .... I'm a slow learner; but you notice when I learn something, I have it down pretty good."

John Wooden

Naturally I can't resist replying that I wish there were a like button to this board! Oh BTW I still have some Sage from the HE last year plan on burning some at the beginning of the season..WTH can't hurt!! . 'Go 'Cats!
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I see where UNH alum Brett Kostolansky is playing for the Ice Hogs this season and TvR is still hanging in there with the Blackhawks! Very exciting for our alums...best wishes to our UNH Women's team who open a new chapter today in Maine...Go 'Cats!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

John Wooden

Are we next to expect the unveiling of the Dick Umile "Pyramid of Success"??

Is Harry Quast about to be revealed as this generation's on-ice version of Bill Walton??

The possibilities are endless. And if it all holds true, Coach will live to within months of his 100th birthday.

Comment

No

Comment

No
                      You sure 'bout that?

Comment

My thought on the upcoming 2014-15 season:

You know they're not going to lose 162 consecutive games.
                        Harry Caray

Comment

This will be UNH's most exciting year in quite a while. The expectations are low, and the talent is young. But that means the growth will be fun to watch, and they have a chance to lay a good foundation for the tail end of this year and for the next 3 years.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            This will be UNH's most exciting year in quite a while. The expectations are low, and the talent is young. But that means the growth will be fun to watch, and they have a chance to lay a good foundation for the tail end of this year and for the next 3 years.
                            like button hit
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              like button hit
                              Ditto! All I know is we have Tix to the Union game so it's full steam ahead! Drop the puck and Let's Go 'Cats!!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X