This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2014-15

Last night just seemed like Colgate was going through the motions. No hard checking, no speed, just looking for the win and they got it. It had to be nice to have a game like that in the schedule, but I woory about being able to "turn the switch on" tonight against a much tougher and feisty QU team. We really need this win for the ECAC standings and more importantly for the PWR. In the ECAC standings we are 5th but only 2 points ahead of 8th (Cornell which we lose the tiebreaker to). Now 19th in the Pairwise we have kept ourselves on the bubble but now need a nice win to get us on the other side of that bubble. We are going to have to make it to Lake Placid to make the NCAA, but it would be nice not to have to win the semifinal to go (lots of stress last year).

Lastly, I was impressed with Borkowski's movement on the ice. From my view I didnt see any lingering affects of the injury

Comment

Originally posted by CU13 View Post
      I don't think any of us know how extremely difficult it was for Mike Borkowski to come back to play competitively in a SCANT 3 months from his season-ending ACL injury!!! I don't think it has ever been done in college hockey. It is an incredible testament to his drive and tenacity to make that happen. I am so extremely proud of him and applaud his huge effort to return to his team. Some things are way more important than the wins and losses.
      CU13's post needs to appear a second time. We all know about NFL/NBA players who come back from ACL surgery. The determination, work, devotion to his team, and perseverance cannot be overestimated when it comes to what Mike has accomplished. It's mind boggling really.

GO GATE - BEAT QU!
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
        Mid-weekend PWR Update - February 7, 2015

These are the games we want to go in our favor today:
        -Colgate over Quinnipiac
        -Sacred Heart over Air Force
        -Mercyhurst over AIC
        -Robert Morris over Canisius
        -Providence over UConn
        -Western Michigan over Miami
        -UMass over UMass-Lowell
        -Ohio St. over Minnesota
        -UNH over Vermont

Meanwhile, SLU "officially" becomes a double-edged sword for us. They've climbed to 20th in the RPI, thus giving us a Quality Wins bonus (multiplied by 2 since we beat them twice). So while their continued success helps our PWR, it keeps them ahead of us in the ECAC Standings, making a top-4 finish more difficult for us.
        I have a solution. Forfeit those two wins and then it is only a single edged sword and we take the lead in the ECAC away from Q-suc. Sincerely, good luck tonight against Q-suc and I echo the sentiment about Borkowski. It's always nice to see great players come back from bad injuries though hard work, rehab and desire.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Well we will most definitely need a win tonight if we are to keep our ncaa hopes alive. I am going to assume SLU will get a bye the way they our playing along with Quinny which leaves 2 spots left and a lot of teams in the hunt. Harvard currently sits in a tie for third but is just 2-6 over their last 8 including a win over us. Right now it looks like they are on the path to joining the club of teams ranked 1-4 in the PWR to start the year and not make the tournament, that being said a lot of hockey left for them. No doubt we will need to make it to Placid to make the NCAAs, ( a lot of ECAC teams thinking the same thing with none being all that safe right now) probably going to have to win that semi-final game as well.

It is still interesting to see on the CHN PWR page to change a win for us from the BU game and we would be 13th in the pairwise and if we changed a win over Providence we would be 14th. Those 2 OCC road games were crucial, unfortunate that we didn't get that split. On the other side with Northeastern's hot play as of late I played around with their first 9 games in which they started 0-8-1 (with 2 losses in Hamilton) and if I change them to just .500 over that stretch (4-4-1) with wins over Vermont, one over 'gate, one over Umass and one over Quinn they go from 25th in the PWR to 6th! We would fall to 25th with that change as well.

Comment

Well, we got our act together in the 3rd period, but it was too little, too late. I still think having Borkowski back in the lineup will pay dividends down the stretch. Still, another quality win opportunity, and a chance to leapfrog into 3rd place, was wasted tonight. We finished a stretch of 5 out 6 home games going 1-3-2, with the one win coming against Princeton. Maybe going back out on the road will help us.

Meanwhile, while watching the video feed tonight, I saw Spiro on the bench tonight, serving as an "assistant coach". He was wearing a suit and tie (which is what healthy scratches normally wear), so maybe he's getting closer to returning to action? Only time will tell. Next weekend will mark 4 weeks since his injury.
            Colgate '09

Comment

We out played QU for most of the game. We lost control for about 5 minutes in the first and 40 seconds in the 2nd. We were getting shots to the goal, rebounds but not finishing. Very disappointing loss especially after the quick start but the quality of play was great. We are kinda up a creek without a paddle for the at large possibilities. I am surprised how far we fell with a loss to a 13tb ranked team (down to 23 immediately after the game). With a win we'd be tied with QU for 13th, disappointing. (with no other results simulated, sweeping next weekend could put us in 15th)

As for the standings we still in a decent position for a bye. We are one point out of a bye. If we play like we did tonight and finish a couple rebounds we will be ok
              Last edited by red133883; 02-07-2015, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Great effort, and we held Anas pointless. Glad Borkowski felt well enough to play both games.
                C O L G A T E
                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                1990 NCAA FINALS
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Something I forgot to post last night was ... why wasn't the pep band in attendance? Not only that, but the building looked empty last night too! This was an important game, and we couldn't get a home crowd to back us up like we do whenever we play Cornell? Unacceptable.
                  Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                    Something I forgot to post last night was ... why wasn't the pep band in attendance? Not only that, but the building looked empty last night too! This was an important game, and we couldn't get a home crowd to back us up like we do whenever we play Cornell? Unacceptable.
                    Winning cures that. Ask Dartmouth. Heck, ask Harvard.

For various reason, some campuses have a higher percentage of band wagon fans. To be honest, many of these reasons reflect well on the school -- Cornell's faithful is in part a rational choice theory reaction to Ithaca on a weekend. Colgate kids may well have other things competing for their time. But winning creates a virtuous cycle.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Right now we're the last team in the top 8 to at least get a home playoff series. Unfortunately that may be about all we can hope for. We're in the bottom third of the league in most stats (9th in team offense,
                      8th in team defense, 9th in goals against, 10th in save percentage, 9th in power play and 9th in penalty kill).

Our only shot to get to the NCAA's is to get to Lake Placid and win that! 2cond place might not do it.

Quinnipiac looked awfully, awfully good Saturday night - it was hard to tell any difference between their lines and there defense - looked like a first line and a first D out there all night. A lot of clutching, holding and other stuff the refs chose to ignore, but it sure was a good team we saw.

Still have enough games to get into the top 4 - nut we'll need some help along the way. Fingers are crossed!

Go 'Gate

Comment

I understand we are in 8th but that is misleading because we are 1 point out of a tie for 4th. If we sweep this weekend the worse we can do is tied for 5th and likely higher. The middle of the pack is so tight that we won't know anything until the last weekend or two.

Dave, you say QU was good on Saturday, I think we outplayed them. I am hopeful that on Friday we get our original team back with spiro and go on a run like we all expected. Go 4 of 6 we probably have a bye, sweep our playoff series. I think we will have a shot at an at large bid.

Comment

We have 17 points one point out of third right now, not counting tiebreakers. It's far from over, but, we need to win. This weekend will be four weeks out for Spiro, they estimated he would be out 4-6 weeks. We need him back badly, we're not the same team without him, especially on the powerplay.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

This is the first time ALL year we have had no forwards hurt, can't believe Borkowski is back ! When Goulakis comes back we will have our full team skating for the first time ALL year. Maybe this weekend, who knows, the regenerative powers of these young kids is mind boggling to me. Unfortuneately we are running out of time, let's just do it !
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

So, do you give finn a breather at any point? I know some posters have mentioned it before, but it's hard to do, but I do think there is some fatigue with finn. Hamilton has been good in goal when he was in there so I don't think it'd be a huge drop off. But, I don't think vaughn will rest him at any point I think finn is too much of a competitor.

4 of 6 would put us a 25 points, generally right on the bubble of a bye. But we ply 3 teams in front of us so that gives us an advantage as well.
                              Hoping for spiro' return friday, but who knows

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                                So, do you give finn a breather at any point? I know some posters have mentioned it before, but it's hard to do, but I do think there is some fatigue with finn. Hamilton has been good in goal when he was in there so I don't think it'd be a huge drop off. But, I don't think vaughn will rest him at any point I think finn is too much of a competitor.

4 of 6 would put us a 25 points, generally right on the bubble of a bye. But we ply 3 teams in front of us so that gives us an advantage as well.
                                Hoping for spiro' return friday, but who knows
                                You're putting the whole town in net?!

I have a feeling the bye will end up around 26 points. The spread right now is 20-30, with 12 points up for grabs, four teams on 18, two on 17.

Comment

Working...
                                X