• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2014-15

I also enjoyed the GR radio feed on the video. Class act by RPITV

Comment

Tough first period and spiro is out for the rest of the night. Could be worse hopefully not

Comment

Unbelievable!! But how is Spiro? This was a real character win with only 16 skaters. We needed this bad
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

WIN!!!! Goooo GATE!!!
          C O L G A T E
          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
          1990 NCAA FINALS
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

We absolutely stole two points from the Dutchmen tonight. But the $64,000 question is: have we seen Spiro play his final game for the Raiders?

I have a video of the hit on Spiro, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, as I must drive back to Boston now.
            Colgate '09

Comment

Good Win Colgate !!!!! Congrats .....
              Here is hoping you make the final 4 ....
              We are off to destroy the Turds from Troy next week ....
              We are down but will be back .... we have great great freshmen and next years recruiting class is first rate ....
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                We absolutely stole two points from the Dutchmen tonight. But the $64,000 question is: have we seen Spiro play his final game for the Raiders?

I have a video of the hit on Spiro, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, as I must drive back to Boston now.
                Hope not; that is one special kid, and I mean that in terms of talent.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  As I have said in my previous post, I have a video of the hit on Spiro Goulakos, from my own point of view. He clearly got hurt on that play. I didn't get the aftermath of the hit, but he was slow to get up, and two of our players had to help him off the ice. But what REALLY angered me was that the Union player didn't get called for a penalty on the play! Not long after the hit, we get called for a penalty (making it 4x4), and Union scores on the 4x4 to take a 2-0 lead. At that point I thought this game was going to turn into an ugly train wreck.

Then the second period. Absolute penalty parade. And even worse, Darcy Murphy committed ANOTHER contact-to-the-head penalty, getting yet ANOTHER Game DQ. Given our luck (and possibly due to this being a 2nd offense), I won't be surprised to see him get further discipline. But Ugh! Now we're down two players for the rest of the game? At the 2nd intermission, I thought we still had a chance, because we were only down 2-1. Then the 3rd period starts, and Union scores 30 seconds into the period, still on a major power play. I start thinking it's gonna be a long night. Then the comeback. In just 3:35 of game time, we score 3 unanswered goals to take a 4-3 lead. The 3rd and 4th Colgate goals were only 12 seconds apart! Talk about a sudden turn of events! But it wasn't over just yet. Union tied it 4-4 with a goal that came almost immediately after an offensive zone faceoff. Then the Spink twins put us up for good, just like they did at Clarkson. The Cornwall line (Spink-Spink-Baun) remains a force to be reckoned with.

This was one of the best games I've ever seen since I started following Colgate hockey back in 2005. Okay, last March's win in Lake Placid remains my favorite, but this game ranks #2 for me right now. Other mumbo jumbo from the game: I got there about 45 minutes before puck drop, and only standing room tickets remained. The rink was still somewhat empty when I entered it, but by the start of the game, it was full. In fact, attendance for last night's game was higher than it was for Union-Cornell the night before! Fortunately I was able to find a section of Colgate fans and band with them. When Joe Wilson scored his first goal, he immediately turned around and pumped his fists at us. We made our presence felt.

Lastly, Union has strobe lights now that go off only when they score? Not cool. What if someone gets an epileptic seizure? At least it's not our problem.
                  Colgate '09

Comment

As I have said in my previous post, I have a video of the hit on Spiro Goulakos, from my own point of view. He clearly got hurt on that play. I didn't get the aftermath of the hit, but he was slow to get up, and two of our players had to help him off the ice. But what REALLY angered me was that the Union player didn't get called for a penalty on the play! Not long after the hit, we get called for a penalty (making it 4x4), and Union scores on the 4x4 to take a 2-0 lead. At that point I thought this game was going to turn into an ugly train wreck.

Then the second period. Absolute penalty parade. And even worse, Darcy Murphy committed ANOTHER contact-to-the-head penalty, getting yet ANOTHER Game DQ. Given our luck (and possibly due to this being a 2nd offense), I won't be surprised to see him get further discipline. But Ugh! Now we're down two players for the rest of the game? At the 2nd intermission, I thought we still had a chance, because we were only down 2-1. Then the 3rd period starts, and Union scores 30 seconds into the period, still on a major power play. I start thinking it's gonna be a long night. Then the comeback. In just 3:35 of game time, we score 3 unanswered goals to take a 4-3 lead. The 3rd and 4th Colgate goals were only 12 seconds apart! Talk about a sudden turn of events! But it wasn't over just yet. Union tied it 4-4 with a goal that came almost immediately after an offensive zone faceoff. Then the Spink twins put us up for good, just like they did at Clarkson. The Cornwall line (Spink-Spink-Baun) remains a force to be reckoned with.

This was one of the best games I've ever seen since I started following Colgate hockey back in 2005. Okay, last March's win in Lake Placid remains my favorite, but this game ranks #2 for me right now. Other mumbo jumbo from the game: I got there about 45 minutes before puck drop, and only standing room tickets remained. The rink was still somewhat empty when I entered it, but by the start of the game, it was full. In fact, attendance for last night's game was higher than it was for Union-Cornell the night before! Fortunately I was able to find a section of Colgate fans and band with them. When Joe Wilson scored his first goal, he immediately turned around and pumped his fists at us. We made our presence felt.

Lastly, Union has strobe lights now that go off only when they score? Not cool. What if someone gets an epileptic seizure? At least it's not our problem.
                    Union's a bunch of goons, and the refs (especially Hicks) let them get away with it. That's the only reason they won the championship last year. I'm just glad you left them with zero points on the weekend. As for the strobe, they probably think they're NHL caliber and all that now.

Regarding the play as I watched it, definitely a trip, but the refs weren't back in time to see it, as it's usually only the linesman who gets back in order to call the potential icing.

As for the DQ, if what you say being his second DQ of the year is true, by rule, it will be a two-game suspension.

Congrats on the two; I'll be at Starr (as usual) in a few weeks.

Comment

Ken Schott's take on the officiating:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...port-3-videos/

— Finally I normally don’t complain about the officiating, but referees Bryan Hicks and Cameron Lynch lost control in the second period. It started when they failed to call a penalty on Colgate after Matt Wilkins was knocked down near the Colgate bench, and the puck wasn’t there. It should have been interference. Stevens got run a couple of times. Late in the second, when Kyle Baun ran into him, even though it wasn’t blatant, Stevens got frustrated and started roughing up Baun. But the one non-call that stood out was when Union’s Mike Vecchione and Colgate Darcy Murphy were exchanging shoves and sticks in the Colgate left-wing corner. Nothing was called. A few seconds later, Murphy targeted Vecchione’s head. Murphy got a five-minute major and a game disqaulifiaction, which he is suspended for Colgate’s next game. Vecchione retaliated with a cross-check, and he got two minutes. Had Hicks and Lynch called the pair earlier, none of the other stuff happens.

To see Colgate’s press conference, click here.
                      http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2015/jan/17/2023/

It takes a few minutes to load
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-18-2015, 09:49 AM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Waiting with pins and needles to hear more about Goulakos, and see the hit. I missed it.
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

This was one of the best games I've ever seen since I started following Colgate hockey back in 2005. Okay, last March's win in Lake Placid remains my favorite, but this game ranks #2 for me right now.
                          Thanks for the recap, Rain...can understand why dumping Union the way we did on their home ice - and with your long drive home - made such a great impression. But the 2011 whitewash by #12 Colgate of #1 Union and Wade Poplawski's OT goal during the playoffs at Achilles will stand the test of time. I think Leaman resigned soon afterward.
                          Last edited by TchrBill; 01-19-2015, 06:29 AM.
                          C O L G A T E
                          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                          1990 NCAA FINALS
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

That was definitely a trip. I can't tell whether or not he intentionally stuck out his leg or was just turning. When I first saw the hit, I thought his leg was out too far, but after reviewing it I can't tell.

What did people who were there think about the Murphy hit (GR or Rainman)? Was it the right call? The union video was good from afar but you couldn't see detail.

I think the third period we played our game. We play with speed and in the first two periods we tried to out physical Union. That is not our game. It is a fun hockey but it is not how we are going to win.

Outside of (possibly)the Murphy hit both teams played the same "heavy hitting" hockey through two. It will be interesting to see what the lines will be on Friday at starr. Defensively I am guessing (assuming spiro is out) lough, kulivich, and Johnston on separate lines to keep an experienced top line Dman on the ice at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Not only talent, character also. This guy's been through so much, not all of it on the ice.

Gotta give thumbs down to the Union folks for not providing video of the game for free At least RPI gave us the feed and didn't charge for it What's up with the Dutch? GR called a good game; very exciting. GR described many times the fact that Stephens (sp?) punched one of our players (Baun, Murphy?...I forget) in the head after he collided with the net. He was not called for the blatant penalty. So, another call missed by the refs in a game that got way out of hand in the 2nd.

Can't tell what happened on the hit to Spiro, but here's hoping it's not serious and he's OK.

Do we lose Murphy for 2 or 3 games?
                              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Dutchman...even your announcers said "Baun got pushed into Stevens and Stevens doesn't like it" and even Schott stated that the Baun "running" the goalie wasn't blatant.

I am guessing Murphy will get three games total, it will be interesting to see if Stevens gets suspended for the punches (they league can add sanctions). The refs needed to call a tighter game, and can't blame the players for taking harder hits if they weren't getting called for them. But as I said before gate can't play that way

Comment

Working...
                                X