This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2014-15

Rusch's Sports Bar is carrying the game today. Always a fun atmosphere with lots of 'Gate fans!!!! Go 'Gate!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
      Okay, I must have misinterpreted your previous post. I'll be at the game tomorrow afternoon. It'll be my first time seeing the 2014-15 Raiders in person. Hoping for a W!
      Almost game time. Rainman - be sure to give us an in depth report after the game, or tomorrow. Doubt I'll have a chance to see/hear it
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

one word....PENALTIES........

We needed that win, it will be a long week + off, and we will drop in the Pairwise (starting to become relevant but not quite) and out of the top ten in the polls.

I am starting to get worried about making the tournament this year.
        Last edited by red133883; 11-29-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I want to say that we ran into the BU buzzsaw in the 3rd period, but I must agree with red133883 ... penalties doomed us. We skated with the Terriers for most of the game, but in the 3rd period, taking back-to-back penalties did us in. We only got 1 clear in the first minor penalty, then BU held the zone for over a minute. We were clearly under siege, and it ultimately lead to BU taking the lead and never looking back. This game could have easily been a quality win that would have given us a confidence boost for the remainder of the season.

It should also be noted that this is the first time in a long time that:
          -We scored 1st but ended up losing
          -We were leading after 2 periods and ended up losing. In fact our 3rd period goal differential was MINUS 3 today, not including BU's 5th goal, which was an empty netter with 0.6 seconds on the clock. BU took a two-goal lead with under 2 min. to go with Finn still between the pipes. Usually we have a positive 3rd period goal differential. Unfortunately games like this happen and I just wish it wasn't this game.

Meanwhile, Agganis Arena is truly a beautiful rink. The building is located right on Commonwealth Avenue, right in the thick of Boston. It is one of the best rinks in Hockey East, along with the Tsongas Center (UMass-Lowell) and the Mullins Center (UMass-Amherst). It has a full concourse with concession stands that you would typically find in an AHL rink. And they even sell beer there! I hope our rink can be just as tremendous. Hopefully BU will return the trip out to Hamilton in the 2016-17 season when the new arena is ready to go.
          Colgate '09

Comment

Glad you enjoyed Agganis! Sounded like there were quite a few Colgate fans there. I think most of them were friends and relatives of that kid from Marblehead. He got the loudest cheers during the intros for both teams.

I didn't know you guys were getting a new arena. I hope we do make the trip as Colgate is one of the ECAC schools I still need to add to my list!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
              ,,, Hopefully BU will return the trip out to Hamilton in the 2016-17 season when the new arena is ready to go.
              i'm coming. i'd love to make that trip
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing these teams play more often. Game seemed to have a likeable edge to it. You've got a few Mass. Kids on the roster. All the more reason. I'm in for the return trip
                Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

We had a large edge in the first period, leading 1-0. Traded goals in an even second period. Then Eichel scores sixteen seconds into the third to tie it and they never looked back. He is everything they say about him, man is he good ! The sad thing is it was 3-2 late in the game and we were right in it, the fourth with 1:30 left sealed it, and the open netter with .6 of a second left make it look bad.

With three top forwards out we have nothing to be ashamed of, we are a different team now, at least Murphy will be back against Providence, hoping he learned a lesson.

The picture quality was good, the announcers were very professional and knowledgeable, they mentioned more than once how good they thought Johnston was.
                  Last edited by sshablak; 11-30-2014, 07:01 AM.
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

THe 5-2 score was deceiving as mentioned earlier. It was 3-2 with a minute and a half left and from what I saw Colgate basically stopped playing in their own end thinking BU was just going to dump the puck and change or play defense. O'Reagan had a point blank shot that Finn didn't have a chance of stopping. That was obviously the nail in the coffin as we didn't get a real chance to tie it up with a pulled goalie. Finn, however played great and made a lot of great stops to keep it a close game. It was a shame we didn't come out of there with a win or tie after going into the third period with the lead. Eichel is crazy with the puck and gives that team a chance to win every single night. You really did see a whole new team come out after his first shift in the second period.

And yes, penalties make this team very very difficult to watch night in and night out. You just can't give the number 1 team in the country with the number 1 player that many opportunities to score and hope to come out of there with a win. Very frustrating to watch as a fan and it ended up costing them the third period as well as the game. As far as red's comments go about making the tournament I have been saying that for awhile now. This is certainly not a top team without Borkowski and Spink (and Murphy last night). Borkowski is out for the year so we need to move on. Spink is still in question and I hope to see him return by the tournament at the end of the year or we may not see him this year as stated earlier who knows. Right now our best win is SLU and then SCSU. We have missed several opportunities including last night but the good news is we have a lot of games left. Hopefully we bring our A game to Providence and Pittsburgh.
                    Last edited by still an empty net; 11-30-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      We had a large edge in the first period, leading 1-0. Traded goals in an even second period. Then Eichel scores sixteen seconds into the third to tie it and they never looked back. He is everything they say about him, man is he good ! The sad thing is it was 3-2 late in the game and we were right in it, the fourth with 1:30 left sealed it, and the open netter with .6 of a second left make it look bad.

With three top forwards out we have nothing to be ashamed of, we are a different team now, at least Murphy will be back against Providence, hoping he learned a lesson.

The picture quality was good, the announcers were very professional and knowledgeable, they mentioned more than once how good they thought Johnston was.
                      I agree with you Shabby. We stayed right with them for 2 periods and really had some decent chances late in the third. Eichel is everything they say he is. Just when will he be jumping to the NHL?

Interested in your comments about the video stream. My picture cut off many times, there was constant buffering and freezing of the picture - mostly in the first period. I got so frustrated, @%$!#@. Then the screen went black a few times. Every time the game came back on it started from the beginning with the intros of lineups...YIKES! I almost put a knife through my computer screen. I missed every Colgate score!

I thought the announcers did a fair job, although compared to GR they were sounding like amateur psychiatrists at times. The cameraman insisted on showing the refs skating around instead of the scrums in front of the goals; guess they want to censor the game for us longtime hockey fans. Gee...I never knew hockey players got angry with each other Did appreciate the nice comments about Johnston and some of the others. During the third I muted the sound and listed to GR, which was a nice change.

On to PC and hopefully we take the good things we did yesterday and carry them over. Having Murphy back will be a big help.
                      Last edited by ColSkate65; 11-30-2014, 10:39 AM.
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I had the same video issues, ColSkate. Frustrating as he$$. We can put a man on the moon but...
                        That was possibly our best first period of hockey ever. We outplayed them, plain and simple. But what a difference intermission makes...the second period was typical Colgate and we looked like we were in neutral. We didn't have a SOG until the 10 minute mark. We cannot seem to adapt after the first period. No need to make excuses...we understand all too well why we came up short. Other than penalties (I think we even gave up some pp chances because we can't control ourselves and have to fight back...3 in the box at once is inexcusable...and if we're 8th nationally in PIMs, why isn't Vaughan cracking down on them?), there is nothing wrong with how we played. We are not a full roster and this is not going to be the season any of us had hoped for. I think we may be able to claim a #4 seed in the playoffs and get home ice. After Northeastern, Finn just doesn't seem to be as strong to me this season.

This was the first time we've played BU in 20 years, and we couldn't make it count. I doubt they or BC will be coming to Hamilton any time soon. Unlike last season, our OOC schedule this year is not the strongest. Good luck in Providence.
                        C O L G A T E
                        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                        1990 NCAA FINALS
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

As long as we make it to the tournament we will have a chance. As far as the league, remember that we are only 3 points out of first (not too bad). We need a win that we can rally around like the MN game last year.

All the teams are losing, so we still have a shot, but we all expected to be one of the most dominant teams. Just need to string a few wins together, the problem is they are so far apart this time of season

Comment

Dartmouth 2, BU 0 - You wore them out !!!!
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

13th! I'm taking it as a sign of good things to come

Comment

Every time I see these polls I shake my head in disbelief! Obviously they know something I don't...only 3 teams with 5 losses in the top 20, and there we are, smack in the middle! I want to be fair to the others in the poll (or those who aren't) by earning where we are. Flattered and grateful, but a bit undeserved IMHO...though I will take #13 as a good omen and stop over-analyzing! We have a great game coming up at Providence with two similar teams trying to prove something. With only 1 game on tap this week, I like our chances to win against the Friars...unless we feel that taking penalties and playing defense is more worthwhile. BTW, what would it take for Spink to redshirt?
                                C'mon, 'Gate...Get win #10!
                                C O L G A T E
                                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                                1990 NCAA FINALS
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X