Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Originally posted by retsap71 View Post
    Your expectations are tainted. I believe that they should be a middle of the pack team in HE with the occasional jump into the top 4. But overall they are a 5-9 team. Do you think they will ever be BC, BU? If you say yes, I feel bad for you.
    Would you have said the same thing to a UML fan ~5 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      Would you have said the same thing to a UML fan ~5 years ago?
      Do you think in 5 years Lowell will still be at the top? If they are, then I am wrong. You can't call Lowell, BU, BC for having a couple of good years.
      The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Do you think in 5 years Lowell will still be at the top? If they are, then I am wrong. You can't call Lowell, BU, BC for having a couple of good years.
        I think they will be this good as long as they have their current coach. Maybe NU will hire Bazin in 2 years and UML's stay at the top won't last the full 5

Comment

I think they will be this good as long as they have their current coach. Maybe NU will hire Bazin in 2 years and UML's stay at the top won't last the full 5
          We tried that once before. See: Crowder, Bruce.

Comment

No one has called any school by any other school's name.. only you have.
            UML is in a good place. Many other programs are in a good place & they are not comparing themselves to any of the schools you've mentioned. They have transformed. We are not in a good place. We are not transforming the hockey. (not even trying)

The other places (besides UML ..list goes on) have done it with good hires. Bruce Crowder or Jim Madigan were not good hockey hires.
            Greg Cronin was a good hockey decision that ended (unfortunately for us), prematurely. I believe we can find & hire a solid Coach again. The program need not be like anyone else.. just the best it can be. Right now (for several yrs now).. we are not the best we can be. Under Cro we were headed in the right direction. You dinosaurs defending the old guard is what has tainted St Botolph Street for so long. (you know who you are).. hopefully your time is limited in that capacity as well. The rest of the U. is always trying (and attaining) to be the best it can be.. yes it can be done with the hockey program as well & my expectations are anything but tainted.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Your expectations are tainted. I believe that they should be a middle of the pack team in HE with the occasional jump into the top 4. But overall they are a 5-9 team. Do you think they will ever be BC, BU? If you say yes, I feel bad for you.
              This is where you and I disagree. By that statement, you are stating to the world that you believe NU's proper place in the college hockey universe is "middle of the pack," AKA, perpetual mediocrity. My expectations and (fortunately) those of many others, is that this program can and should be a perennial contender for HEA championships and be consistently ranked in the national polls. As we all know, Northeastern has become a national top-tier academic school and that same standard of excellence should be applied (at least) to the two marquee athletic programs. Schools that we now like to be compared with, such as Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, and--yes--BC, and even BU, already understand this. It's not too much to demand or expect.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                This is where you and I disagree. By that statement, you are stating to the world that you believe NU's proper place in the college hockey universe is "middle of the pack," AKA, perpetual mediocrity. My expectations and (fortunately) those of many others, is that this program can and should be a perennial contender for HEA championships and be consistently ranked in the national polls. As we all know, Northeastern has become a national top-tier academic school and that same standard of excellence should be applied (at least) to the two marquee athletic programs. Schools that we now like to be compared with, such as Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, and--yes--BC, and even BU, already understand this. It's not too much to demand or expect.
                What does academics have to do with this? If so shouldn't Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Yale be at the top every year? With the exception of 2 years ago, some of the worst hockey is played at these schools. I don't see how or why the correlate.

Comment

..With the exception of 2 years ago, some of the worst hockey is played at these schools. I don't see how or why the correlate.
                  Harvard won a hockey National Championship in 1989.. (and as you slighted).. Yale did it two yrs ago. Such poor hockey..

In the Boston are.. all of the other 3 Beanpot Schools have a National Championship. In Minnesota.. Minnesota has a storied history.. that did not stop the U Minn-Duluth Bulldogs from aspiring (and eventually getting) their own banners. Now Minnesota State is making a run for it with a 'poor' #1 spot in the national ranking. Much like Lowell has improved its hockey in our area (leapfrogging our asleep athletic admin!). The frozen four will be held in Boston this year.. yup.. 3 schools (same three of our Beanpot peers) are positioned to least make a run for the NCAA. Guess which one is left out.. again..

with 'fans' like you who needs a fan base. Yes, we NU fans aspire for more. Yes it can be attained with the right decisions around personnel. No.. we do not have to 'accept' the status quo. Yes, your pal is in over his head.

You went to Quinnipiac so stop speaking for NU (in academics or sport) if you're going to sound like a dope. Guess drinking before typing does have its drawbacks. What do I know.. my expectations are tainted.
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  Always bullish on the future.
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    I've long held this belief, and even brought it up both directly and indirectly to Roby and the administration, using the exact schools Split N used as my examples to support my argument. Unfortunately I did not get any worthwhile response to my questions. But I agree 100% with Split N. The school has shown a committment to excellence off the ice- it has the resources to provide a top tier product on the ice, field, and court as well. The day it puts that effort in, however, has yet to be seen. And unfortunately, until aoun and/or Roby are gone, I fear we won't see that commitment.
                    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

What does academics have to do with this? If so shouldn't Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Yale be at the top every year? With the exception of 2 years ago, some of the worst hockey is played at these schools. I don't see how or why the correlate.
                      I believe the point was that NU wants to be viewed with those other (non-Ivy) schools mentioned. To do so they massively upgraded their academics. Now they can/should do the same with their athletics program to further increase their standing nationally, like the other schools did.

I can't believe this poster is actually arguing with NU fans who say the school should try to improve the hockey program and he counters by saying just keep being mediocre it's what NU does. I know this forum is a breeding ground for absurd comments, but this is off the wall even by those standards.
                      Last edited by Agganis; 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                        Harvard won a hockey National Championship in 1989.. (and as you slighted).. Yale did it two yrs ago. Such poor hockey..

In the Boston are.. all of the other 3 Beanpot Schools have a National Championship. In Minnesota.. Minnesota has a storied history.. that did not stop the U Minn-Duluth Bulldogs from aspiring (and eventually getting) their own banners. Now Minnesota State is making a run for it with a 'poor' #1 spot in the national ranking. Much like Lowell has improved its hockey in our area (leapfrogging our asleep athletic admin!). The frozen four will be held in Boston this year.. yup.. 3 schools (same three of our Beanpot peers) are positioned to least make a run for the NCAA. Guess which one is left out.. again..

with 'fans' like you who needs a fan base. Yes, we NU fans aspire for more. Yes it can be attained with the right decisions around personnel. No.. we do not have to 'accept' the status quo. Yes, your pal is in over his head.

You went to Quinnipiac so stop speaking for NU (in academics or sport) if you're going to sound like a dope. Guess drinking before typing does have its drawbacks. What do I know.. my expectations are tainted.
                        You spoke of the academics at NU being better so they hockey program should improve. I asked you how and why they are attached? What does one have to do with the other?

Comment

I believe the point was that NU wants to be viewed with those other (non-Ivy) schools mentioned. To do so they massively upgraded their academics. Now they can/should do the same with their athletics program to further increase their standing nationally, like the other schools did.

I can't believe this poster is actually arguing with NU fans who say the school should try to improve the hockey program and he counters by saying just keep being mediocre it's what NU does. I know this forum is a breeding ground for absurd comments, but this is off the wall even by those standards.
                          I am not saying stay mediocre, that is the last thing that I want. But I also do not expect in my lifetime to see NU as a national power, ranked in the top 15 year in and year out winning HE titles every third year. If that happens awesome! Not holding my breath. You think if in 1970 Jack Parker was NU's coach he would have retired 2 years ago with 3 National titles and 20+ beanpots. I don't think so.

Comment

Cronin’s last recruiting class had Jamie Oleksiak (NHL) and a goalie named Clay Witt.
                            Johnny Gaudreau, NHL this year 32 Points in 42 games 13 goals and 19 assists.
                            Yes Greg Cronin can recognize and recruit talent.

Comment

I don't think so.
                              Why not?

Comment

Anyone know the Beanpot sections for Northeastern this year? Thanks.
                                Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

Working...
                                X