Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

We had 20 shots in the 3rd, and really played end to end and really sloppy game, but its a win and I will take it. However Witt really stood on his head and made some big saves. If he can play like that on occasion, we will at least win a few games, thank God! However, UNH is also a poor team and it's going to be a struggle with a schedule that will play ranked teams week in and week out, but with MC up next week we have something to build on. Huskies fought pretty hard and worked to score some dirty goals. Nice job Huskies on getting that monkey off your back ! I have to say ROY looks pretty bad though!

Comment

Time to celebrate!
      Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
      NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Originally posted by beanstalk View Post
        They will win tonight. The D and Witt will come up big.
        Great job sticking your neck out,your truthful optimism is so needed! Do you have any coaching skills?,NU might be needing a coaching staff?

Keep up the good work Beanie.maybe you could wave the flags in the Doghouse :-)

Comment

It's great to get the monkey off the backs of the boys. No in discipled penalties and we win. The boys did not self destruct. Witt was the rock and we are starting to get pucks to the net. We can be cautiously optimistic, but lets not kid ourselves we still have a long way to go, but if Witt was in net from the beginning we would be at least .500 this team I predict gain its confidence and will do well next weekend and if they sweep (which will be tough) but very possible they will be in the thick of things pertaining to HE. JM had the right lineup last night, the 3 centers worked well and gave him flexibility and the PK was outstanding killing a 5-3. So lets take this win as a building block and see what if this team can take from it and start playing to there potential

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Can you tell me the Powerball numbers for next week???
            Unfortunately, my Powerball skills are unimpressive, though I would recommend the number 31 for the PB slot in the next drawing.

There's always some luck in any prediction, but I based mine on the roster that was released on Twitter. I have been pleading for one or more of the top four Dmen to be put up in the stands in a suit. When I saw that Cockerill wasn't in the lineup, I thought that would help us in all phases, but particularly on the PK. He needs to buy into a team defense model before he is given so much ice time in such key situations. In addition to having the worst plus/minus on the team, it seems that he is out there for almost every goal we give up on the PK (none given up last night without him). He could be a good player if he matches his play to his ability. He has the body and skills to be a stay-at-home Dman who makes good outlet passes and has a powerful slapshot . But he plays like he thinks he's an offensive defenseman with blazing speed. Until he commits to defense in our own zone, we will continue to lose with him in the lineup. And Clay Witt is better than he has shown in prior games, so I thought that he would shake off the rust and be the focused Clay Witt who makes the plays when the defense inevitably gives up the odd man rushes. There were a lot of them last night, but only one got by him.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
              Great job sticking your neck out,your truthful optimism is so needed! Do you have any coaching skills?,NU might be needing a coaching staff?

Keep up the good work Beanie.maybe you could wave the flags in the Doghouse :-)
              I am a great back-seat driver when it comes to coaching. But the only true coaching skills I possess are the ones I learned in Lamaze class (and my wife would likely give me a B-minus on those). Go Huskies!

Comment

I am a great back-seat driver when it comes to coaching. But the only true coaching skills I possess are the ones I learned in Lamaze class (and my wife would likely give me a B-minus on those). Go Huskies!
                Sadly, you are just as qualified as Madigan was when he won the job after a worldwide search.
                Doghouse Class of 2004

Hockey East Fan of the Year 2004
                NU "Superfan" Award winner 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Bad knees View Post
                  It's great to get the monkey off the backs of the boys. No in discipled penalties and we win. The boys did not self destruct. Witt was the rock and we are starting to get pucks to the net. We can be cautiously optimistic, but lets not kid ourselves we still have a long way to go, but if Witt was in net from the beginning we would be at least .500 this team I predict gain its confidence and will do well next weekend and if they sweep (which will be tough) but very possible they will be in the thick of things pertaining to HE. JM had the right lineup last night, the 3 centers worked well and gave him flexibility and the PK was outstanding killing a 5-3. So lets take this win as a building block and see what if this team can take from it and start playing to there potential
                  i ve been at matthews 4 times this season and last night was the first time Kevin Roy showed up. I had to wonder if hejust got fat over the summer or if he didn't give a damm. It was great to see Witt looking so good and to see the boys actually hustle for once... the 6 minutes (or so stretch in the third with no whistles and10 skaters giving it their all was great to see!)

Comment

Funny there are a lot of Jack Adams award winners on this thread.
                    The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Everybody should write a letter to NU and to HockeyEast to protest the idiotic media timeouts every 4 minutes on Saturday night. Nobody goes to the games to watch the players stand around and college kids "clean the ice" four minutes into a period.

If they want to mimic tv games, break when the tv timeouts would be, which do not happen every 4 minutes. I rather have two stoppages at 1:30 each, then four stoppages for 1:00 each.

Anyway, great crowd and atmosphere Saturday night. Perfectly fair result I thought for two teams who struggle in just about every facet of the game. While it has been pointed out numerous times how good the PK was Saturday night, please keep in mind UNH is 3 for 33 to start the season. We do not give other PK's props for shutting us down, we should hold off on the gold stars until they stop someone good. Oh look, here comes Merrimack with the 2nd best PP in the conference. Shut them down, we can talk improvement.

Can we stop complaining about Roy and playing defense? He is not here to back check. He is here to score goals. He just needs to find a way to start doing that again. Playing with a center who can get him the puck would be a start.

McMurtry is still a TO machine, so why they put him with the #1 unit on the PP is beyond me. Every time the puck went to him, it went back out the zone. J. Stevens plays his best hockey when playing with his brother. Quietest game of the year for Szmatula who was way more active Friday night. He did get hamstrung with Snydeman though, that may have been a reason, along with never playing along side Adam Reid before as far back as I can remember. I really like watching Collier, especially away from the puck. He knows what he is doing out there. He gets into the right positions and never stops moving, he just never seems to see the puck. I do not like to rag on freshmen the first 3 months of the season, but Sikura is invisible out there for the most part. I would sit him and play 8 dman. They would get more out of Sauce on the wing then they do Sikura.

This is not a diss on D. Roy, but the only reason they got a win, and the game was close on Friday was because of Witt. They would have gotten killed in both games if Roy was in there. He is not a Hockey East caliber goalie. Being defeated was not his fault, not at all, that is not what I am saying, but the idea that they could use him as a viable backup if something happened to Witt is mindboggling to me.

Good for them in getting a win. Much stiffer challenge in Merrimack this weekend, a team that plays a defensive system and plays it well. Not to mention the top special teams unit in Hockey East.
                      DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                        Everybody should write a letter to NU and to HockeyEast to protest the idiotic media timeouts every 4 minutes on Saturday night. Nobody goes to the games to watch the players stand around and college kids "clean the ice" four minutes into a period...watching Collier, especially away from the puck. He knows what he is doing out there. He gets into the right positions and never stops moving...
                        Totally agree on both counts.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                          Everybody should write a letter to NU and to HockeyEast to protest the idiotic media timeouts every 4 minutes on Saturday night. Nobody goes to the games to watch the players stand around and college kids "clean the ice" four minutes into a period.

If they want to mimic tv games, break when the tv timeouts would be, which do not happen every 4 minutes. I rather have two stoppages at 1:30 each, then four stoppages for 1:00 each.
                          The stoppages had absolutely nothing to do with media time-outs. The university hosted Kevin Spacey at Matthews the night before, which meant that the ice surface had to be covered for at least half the day on Friday. As you could imagine, the ice looks like s&*t after you uncover it. The time-outs were needed to help keep everything maintained. Judging by the amount of snow they were picking up each time, the ice was still pretty soft.
                          Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

Originally posted by DieHardDog View Post
                            The university hosted Kevin Spacey at Matthews the night before,
                            NO WAY!!! Why? Very cool.

Sorry for the interruption....carry on!

Comment

Originally posted by DieHardDog View Post
                              The stoppages had absolutely nothing to do with media time-outs. The university hosted Kevin Spacey at Matthews the night before, which meant that the ice surface had to be covered for at least half the day on Friday. As you could imagine, the ice looks like s&*t after you uncover it. The time-outs were needed to help keep everything maintained. Judging by the amount of snow they were picking up each time, the ice was still pretty soft.
                              I don't doubt your comment that Kevin did the ice no favors, but the "media" thing is unfortunately real. I believe every HE game is being run as if it is on TV with three pointless "TV" timeouts every period. That has been the case at each UNH game I have made this year, none of which were actually on TV, and other commenters on other HE team threads have said the same. Why? No idea.
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                                I don't doubt your comment that Kevin did the ice no favors, but the "media" thing is unfortunately real. I believe every HE game is being run as if it is on TV with three pointless "TV" timeouts every period. That has been the case at each UNH game I have made this year, none of which were actually on TV, and other commenters on other HE team threads have said the same. Why? No idea.
                                Hockey East gave each school the choice to either run every home game with media timeouts or run just home games actually on TV with media timeouts (so you can't pick and choose some non-TV games to have media timeouts and some to not). Any complaints should be directed to the individual schools, all the conference did was give them two options. In theory last year teams could have done whatever they wanted as there was no standardized procedure.

Comment

Working...
                                X