Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    That says a whole lot and it's the absolute laid-bare truth. Go back to the time when the Head Coach position opened up in the aftermath of Cronin's all-but-forced departure. The applicant pool was notable for its lack of umm ..... applicants. Madigan and Sebastien aside, there was not a single accomplished head coach from a single D1 program and only one assistant (Greg Carvel) and one former assistant (Darren Yopyk) looking to move up. Mike Cavanaugh (then-BC) apparently sniffed around and thought better of it.

I was naively anticipating interest from a plethora of young but accomplished coaches (think Rand Pecknold - QPac) to be climbing all over each other for an opportunity to attach themselves to a then-promising program at a national university (and a Beanpot school to boot) but this was not to be. There were two perceptions in the coaching fraternity at the time that explains this: 1) The job was wired for an NU insider and 2) working for Peter Roby could prove hazardous to a coaching career.
    Your post and Northeastern's that followed reflect an excellent understanding of the situation as it existed and of Roby's present reputation. He may be many things, but what he is not is an "asset" to the NU athletic program. I hope that if he has a contract, it is almost complete. No single event would do more for the overall program than the receipt of resignation or retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      honestly??? this is NEVER going to happen for y'all. y'all need to find someone who can get those odd-aged fall through the crack guys and build something that wins. only THEN can you hope to go out and attract a young'un to come play with winners and build.
      Didn't mean to get you going, Mookie. I was just trying to illustrate how badly some of our NU peeps overrate our recruits. Your assessment is valid. As constructed, the NU program is fighting an uphill battle. We don't need to make it any harder by shooting ourselves in the foot periodically.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        ..should have been Sebastian's job. He knew his hockey, our recruits & would've been a solid asset more than he was! This isn't hindsight.. people with a bit of knowledge were shouting from the rooftop for this.

..total screw up job! que in steve66 & rest of apologists..
        total screw up. Truth hurts. No one more than our team of course!..
        As for Sebastien getting the job, it doesn't matter how many people shouted from the rooftops. The one that mattered considered him part of his Hockey problem.

Comment

• my 'asset' reference was for Sebastian.. not Roby. and I think we had a recruit (JG).. who ended up skating first line at another school.. and currently skates north of the border in some professional league.. I forget which. :-)
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

If anyone hasn't seen today's lines, they're completely blown up. Collier/JS/Reid up top, Roy and Smatz down to 2, Nolan and ZAR down to 3. Snyderman out (presumably from disappearing last night) along with Darou on D, Schecter in.

Comment

Where does on find the lines? Who is in goal?

Comment

The idea that the team has to take a step back because they get rid of Madigan and bring in a real coach is dumb. Just look at PC and UML, two teams that brought in new coaches the same year we did. How did that work out for both those teams? Between UML, PC, and NU, at the time of the new coaching hire which team was better in shape? NU. Madigan tanked the programed.

Look, this the talent on this team is not Top 4 in Hockey East like was thought before the season. Nor is it bottom 3 which looks like is probably going to happen. Is the talent on this team being used correctly? No. Could an actual coach get more out of this team? Yup. That is what I look at. Take a guy like Whitehead and put him in charge, and yeah, we arent going to win a NC, but chances are we are going to be alot better year in and year out. He can probably even get enough talent here to win a Beanpot. Which is what we want in the end, be in the conversation and some Beanpots.

If this type of season continues, if I were Roby I would reach out to Whitehead in December, and see if he wants to take over in January, or over the break so he has a half season to assess what he has. He may not want to leave Kimball where he is now, but he would be a good fit at NU.
                Last edited by Huskies01; 11-02-2014, 05:20 PM.
                DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

0 and 7. I disagree with many of you as usual, this disaster is a coaching issue, you don't bring in top scorer's form the USHL and wind up with results like these unless you are inept to some degree. There is just too much to fix and Lowell is going to kill us home and away and I really don't care one bit because even Roby won't be able to calm the fears of the boys in the alumni club who write the checks and eventually it will come full circle. JM has had enough time to sort this out, do you think we can wait until 2017 when a stud goalie arrives by then we will be the laughing stalk of DIV 1 hockey.

I mean everyone on here realizes this is the worst start in the history of the team we are going to be 0 and 9 in another week! Who does not get it?
                  Last edited by RossiRules; 11-02-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                    0 and 7. I disagree with many of you as usual, this disaster is a coaching issue, you don't bring in top scorer's form the USHL and wind up with results like these unless you are inept to some degree....
                    are you takling about szmatula? we realize that while he did score, he began that season as a 20 year old playing with 17 & 18 year olds along with a couple post grads. so he was in essence a 2nd year post grad.
                    sitting here now and wondering why he wasn't able to reproduce that output when he is playing against some of the best 18-20 year old kids in the country along with some very good 23 & 24 yo guys when playing uml and merrimack and maine is putting a lot of high expectations on him.

(and yes he did put of a 1pt/gm as a freshman last year, but with expectations and perhaps a ceiling on development bringing in these older kids is hit or miss. (and again we got rather lucky with gilroy at bu, but he got to the point where he was a men skating with boys))
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• can't help but go back to this.. again
                      & again..

and again..

program truly has been set back.. now for how long is up to NU admin..

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2011/07/27_northeasterns_coaching_gamble.php
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...atula-sam-anas

Game recap
                        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Surprising that 0-6 is the worst start in school history. When you look up the history you will see the same pattern good year followed by several bad to mediocre years. Its the pattern of the school, I have no idea why everyone is so surprised. Everyone here wants to blame Madigan, he's the coach, he built the team. OK he deserves the criticism, no doubt about it. I think it is very unlikely that he gets fired, but if he does and the same pattern repeats itself and the same identity of the school continues, which is juts lose baby, in all sports. Then you can turn to him and say, hey I guess it wan't your fault. Its in the laundry!

I will always continue this head bashing against the wall which is rooting for NU. I will root for them long after JM is gone, but it is evident to me, that the trend of success at this school will never be broken. So if you are gone to be a 1 up 2 down program, why not keep Madigan. He truly loves the school. Cronin was using NU as a stepping stone to NHL, and again everyone here has greatly overblown his success here. Maybe Mike Milbury would like to throw his hat back in college coaching.

Where was Witt tonight?
                          The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                            I really wonder why some fans here expected a quantum leap from this squad, this year. We are still at least two seasons from having enough talent depth to be considered a possible threat. Goalie? We don't have what is considered a stud lined up until the Primeau kid arrives in 2017. (If he gets here.) Defense? Who's a stud? Who's a rock back there? How long will it be before the current group is graduated out to (hopefully) a more talented group (emphasis on GROUP) is rolled out? Forwards? How many of NU's first liners would skate first line for BC, Minn, etc? You can argue Roy, of course. Now go line by line. How many of NU's could skate the same role at the better programs? Not many. We're still a couple of years away. Can Madigan/Keefe now and you're restarting from where Cronin/Madigan started when they inherited empty cupboards. If you're serious about wanting to see this program get better, you have to give Madigan a couple of more years. Why? As long as Roby is AD, you're neber going to get the kind of hire for Coach that this position needs. Madigan is as good as it's gonna get until Roby is gone.

I do agree with this. 2015 and 2016 classes are regarded as being pretty strong. I think we should wait and see what they look like.
                            The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

• Originally posted by retsap71 View Post
                              Surprising that 0-6 is the worst start in school history. When you look up the history you will see the same pattern good year followed by several bad to mediocre years. Its the pattern of the school, I have no idea why everyone is so surprised. Everyone here wants to blame Madigan, he's the coach, he built the team. OK he deserves the criticism, no doubt about it. I think it is very unlikely that he gets fired, but if he does and the same pattern repeats itself and the same identity of the school continues, which is juts lose baby, in all sports. Then you can turn to him and say, hey I guess it wan't your fault. Its in the laundry!

I will always continue this head bashing against the wall which is rooting for NU. I will root for them long after JM is gone, but it is evident to me, that the trend of success at this school will never be broken. So if you are gone to be a 1 up 2 down program, why not keep Madigan. He truly loves the school. Cronin was using NU as a stepping stone to NHL, and again everyone here has greatly overblown his success here. Maybe Mike Milbury would like to throw his hat back in college coaching.

Where was Witt tonight?
                              Steve.. right on cue .. so if things were bad.. we just throw up our hands like its destiny or fate?.. we don't clean house?.. what an apologist!..
                              ridiculous..!
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                                The idea that the team has to take a step back because they get rid of Madigan and bring in a real coach is dumb. Just look at PC and UML, two teams that brought in new coaches the same year we did. How did that work out for both those teams? Between UML, PC, and NU, at the time of the new coaching hire which team was better in shape? NU. Madigan tanked the programed.

Look, this the talent on this team is not Top 4 in Hockey East like was thought before the season. Nor is it bottom 3 which looks like is probably going to happen. Is the talent on this team being used correctly? No. Could an actual coach get more out of this team? Yup. That is what I look at. Take a guy like Whitehead and put him in charge, and yeah, we arent going to win a NC, but chances are we are going to be alot better year in and year out. He can probably even get enough talent here to win a Beanpot. Which is what we want in the end, be in the conversation and some Beanpots.

If this type of season continues, if I were Roby I would reach out to Whitehead in December, and see if he wants to take over in January, or over the break so he has a half season to assess what he has. He may not want to leave Kimball where he is now, but he would be a good fit at NU.
                                It's not the idea that you have to take a step back because you replaced the Coach; it's the reality that you will take a step back because the AD is not a friend of the Hockey Program and will only hire somebody after he weighs the job down with restrictions that make the new Coach's job harder than it already will be. Roby did that to an in-house, NU man. Imagine what he might do to an outsider that he doesn't trust? The PC and Lowell jobs were apples compared to NU's orange, specifically because coaches such as Bazin and Leaman took jobs where the AD's enable them to succeed, instead of hindering their ability to compete. You're correct about the talent level and what a more experienced Coach could do with it. I'm not sure I'd like Whitehead but I wouldn't be against hiring a stronger Coach, but Roby has to be gone first to free up the program.
                                Last edited by PPGuru; 11-02-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X