Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Today is the first official practice for THE Alaska Nanooks...Captains will named Wednesday and the annual blue/gold game is Saturday at the Patty Center. Exhibition game vs Western Ontario Friday October 3rd at Carlson Center...

Re: Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    Today is the first official practice for THE Alaska Nanooks...Captains will named Wednesday and the annual blue/gold game is Saturday at the Patty Center. Exhibition game vs Western Ontario Friday October 3rd at Carlson Center...
    Boooo! Good luck this year.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

They lost a lot of scoring and skilled palyers from last year. Should be interesting to see who will be able to score. Wondering if coach will go back to his defensive style of play that we had the first few years of his tenure. Having Kyunck and Beck in the line-up seemed to change his style to a more open offensive attack, with the defense and goaltending we have I could see the team going into a more conservative style of defense first.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
        They lost a lot of scoring and skilled palyers from last year. Should be interesting to see who will be able to score. Wondering if coach will go back to his defensive style of play that we had the first few years of his tenure. Having Kyunck and Beck in the line-up seemed to change his style to a more open offensive attack, with the defense and goaltending we have I could see the team going into a more conservative style of defense first.
        There's enough in the tank we should be able to reload offensively. Sounds like there are some hotshot freshmen coming in as well.

As is par for the course, we will have a good idea what we have this year after the Kendall and Brice tourneys, plus an early trip to K-zoo will be a good test.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
          Having Kyunck and Beck in the line-up seemed to change his style to a more open offensive attack, with the defense and goaltending we have I could see the team going into a more conservative style of defense first.
          Can you tell me where Kyunck is playing these days? I'm having a hard time finding his name on last season's roster.
          _AIRBANKS: THE "SPENARD" OF ALASKA.

Originally posted by birdman
          No excuses from UAF fans, UAA beat us.

Comment

OK boys, time to show what you’re made of.

We only lost three seniors, but that included two 100+ point career guys who were two of the best forwards in the conference, and the other was one of our top D men. But as last year’s playoffs showed, they might not have been the real spark plugs of the team. But for continued success we need a few boys to step up their offense. No reason we can’t improve on last season.

Quite frankly, our goaltending was not very good the first half last year. And although it improved the second half, some games it really let us down. With three goaltenders returning I think we have a decent crew, we just need someone to step up and be consistent. Like most teams, that will probably be the key to our season.

We have a good mix of talent, speed, youth & experience, goaltending, and a somewhat favorable conference schedule. The team just needs to work hard each and every practice, shift, and game.

After our typical blue/gold game and Canadian exhibition, we start the season off with a solid non-conference schedule. We open conference play on the road in Bemidji on October 31

September 27 - Blue/Gold game
            October 3 - Western Ontario
            October 10 – Wisconsin (Kendall Classic in Anchorage)
            October 11 – Maine (Kendall Classic in Anchorage
            October 17 - Air Force (Brice Goal Rush in Fairbanks)
            October 18 - Penn State (Brice Goal Rush in Fairbanks)
            October 24/25 – Western Michigan (Kalamazoo)

Unfortunately, Justin Woods will have to sit out the season. Everyone is wishing him the very best and a hopeful return next season. There are so many things more important than hockey right now for this young man. Make him proud.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by UAA08 View Post
              Can you tell me where Kyunck is playing these days? I'm having a hard time finding his name on last season's roster.
              Tampa Bay. Smartass.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Below is a quick snapshot of last year’s final standings in case you don’t want to dig for it elsewhere. As you may recall, it was a four-way race. 1) FSU, 2) MSU, 3) everybody else but UAH, 4) UAH. While nobody is fielding the same team they had last year, last year’s finish is a good starting point for predictions.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Schedules are on a different rotation, and while the season will be a grind for everyone, some schedules may be perceived as more favorable as compared to others. If you just did a simple comparison based on last year’s finishes, UAH, LSSU, & BSU would have the toughest schedules this year, while FSU, MTU, & UAF would have the most favorable (this approach is somewhat a self fulfilling prophecy). Here is what the match-ups look like.

Go Nooks!
                Last edited by mmf; 09-23-2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Below is some info to help look at the WCHA landscape. Very simplistic. Pulled from team web sites a while back, so it is probably only “mostly accurate.” There have been some changes.

I’m a firm believer in the confidence of ignorance, so I’ve included my rankings. Looking mainly at class standings for each team, especially freshmen, who has a good experienced goalie, and what jr. systems did the players come from. I assume last year’s finish is somewhat reflective of gf, ga, pp%, pk% etc. I also looked at sos based on my rankings as a reasonableness check for my predictions. And of course I applied a “homer” factor to the Nooks.

And even if the Nooks should falter and miss the playoffs, I still support the 8 team playoff format. Every weekend matters, right till the very end.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    Below is some info to help look at the WCHA landscape. Very simplistic. Pulled from team web sites a while back, so it is probably only “mostly accurate.” There have been some changes.

I’m a firm believer in the confidence of ignorance, so I’ve included my rankings. Looking mainly at class standings for each team, especially freshmen, who has a good experienced goalie, and what jr. systems did the players come from. I assume last year’s finish is somewhat reflective of gf, ga, pp%, pk% etc. I also looked at sos based on my rankings as a reasonableness check for my predictions. And of course I applied a “homer” factor to the Nooks.

And even if the Nooks should falter and miss the playoffs, I still support the 8 team playoff format. Every weekend matters, right till the very end.

Go Nooks!
                    Interesting and informative chart even if your order of finish is all screwed up.
                    Your last category gave me a good chuckle.

Comment

Go Nooks!
                      Have you seen Ferris fans? I think you were a little generous with that "N"

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        Have you seen Ferris fans? I think you were a little generous with that "N"
                        I can honestly say I've never seen a Ferris State fan in the flesh. They are not a prolific bunch here in the North.

Comment

It's interesting to note the shift in the Nooks recruiting away from the Canadian leagues. Historically we've always heavily recruited the BC and Alberta leagues, but this is the first I can remember us having the majority of our players from the USHL. I remember when we snagged Andy Taranto that it was a big deal because we rarely pulled guys from the USHL. Now it's common place.

I also noticed that of the NAHL guys, three are Ice Dogs and two are incoming freshmen from their championship team.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Congratulations to Colton Parayko being named Alaska Nanooks team captain for 2014-15, and Garrick Perry and Tyler Morley being named assistant captains. Good choices and well earned.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Anything break this morning?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X