Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nanook Nation 2014-2015

I feel as though it should not have taken 3 years for this to come into play. The current athletes are not at fault here and UAF self reported. In addition they put into place self sanctions and implemented things so that this would not happen again. I can understand a fine, I can understand vacating wins when an ineligible player was used (even if that player was taking full bachelors classes but just wasn't enrolled in proper major), I can even understand the scholarship sanctions. What I have trouble with is denying the current players of these programs post season play. They have already negated past seasons post seasons so there is no reason to do so to current players.--- Respectfully a UAA fan

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
      This is a load of crap. There are basketball players in the NCAA tournament who can't read, and the NCAA swings the hammer down on a hockey team for having players without majors 3 years ago?

The NCAA needs to allow more flexibility for student athletes not having a major or changing majors. I've had some friends more or less kicked off of BG's varsity teams for not progressing towards a degree, despite the fact they were passing all their classes as full time students. I know the NCAA is trying to ensure student athletes graduate in 4-5 years, but that can still be achieved with some policy changes.
      Unfortunately this appears to be the NCAA swinging down the hammer to scare other programs to not do this (or stop doing it). I can't remember the last time a NCAA Hockey team has this happen, football or basketball sure.
      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        Wow.

I think Chris Dilks at SBNation put it perfectly, what the NCAA did to UAF today was absolute garbage. Punishing today's players for an administrative oversight that happened between 3 and 7 years ago, and a decision that could potentially affect future pro careers for guys like Parayko or Morley, makes no sense. Punish the school, but leave today's players out of it. Particularly since the University self-reported this in 2011, and self-imposed sanctions in 2012, and has since taken the steps to correct the problem.

Also, if I were a NMU fan I would have a raised eyebrow at their current AD, seeing as how this happened under his watch.

I guess if there is any silver lining, most of the scholarship limits will be listed after this season.

Like Jerry Tarkanian said, "The NCAA got so mad at Kentucky they put Cleveland State on two years probation".
        It is a little harsh, though on the bright side I don't think Parayko needs more time. I'm sure he'll get an AHL/NHL deal at the end of the season.
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
          Unfortunately this appears to be the NCAA swinging down the hammer to scare other programs to not do this (or stop doing it). I can't remember the last time a NCAA Hockey team has this happen, football or basketball sure.
          I think the NCAA was so harsh because there were, I believe, four different infractions, and it went on for so many years. According to the article in the Alaska Dispatch, there were "warnings" from the NCAA that went unheeded. Failure to complete sufficient credits toward their majors and not meeting eligibility requirements for students transferring from junior colleges seem to be the two most egregious, in my opinion. Again, it comes down to lack of institutional control. Hard to believe that UAF didn't have a full time academic advisor in their athletic department.

mmf, as much as you hate to accept it, the Gov Cup from those years has been surrendered to UAA.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I guess UAF doesn't make enough money for the NC$$.

Comment

If those Gov Cups actually go to UAA instead of just being voided (not sure how that works) then UAA fans have no room to complain about our shootout wins ever again. At least those were won on the ice using established procedures, not handed down by a committee over technicalities.

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
                If those Gov Cups actually go to UAA instead of just being voided (not sure how that works) then UAA fans have no room to complain about our shootout wins ever again. At least those were won on the ice using established procedures, not handed down by a committee over technicalities.
                Those UA_ ´established procedures” is what got you into trouble in the first place. Forrest Karr was the compliance person before UA_ used the “Peter Principal” and promoted him to A D. When the sh** hit the fan he did a midnight move faster than the Browns when they left Cleveland at 3am in the morning and headed to Baltimore in 1996.
                Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 11-06-2014, 01:36 PM.
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by AKJD View Post
                  In the words of Akon, "still counts!"

92-53-9!
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

We can't blame UAA for what has transpired, so we can't get on their case. Most of our issues were a result of increasing admission requirements for baccalaureate degrees above those required by the NCAA, and that's a problem that UAA will probably never have to face.

And we've all seen their program during the relevant years, so we can't blame them for claiming wins any way they can. Good on them.

We'll get over this...starting this weekend.

Go Nooks!

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                      It is a little harsh, though on the bright side I don't think Parayko needs more time. I'm sure he'll get an AHL/NHL deal at the end of the season.
                      True, Parayko probably wasn't the best example since he's already been drafted. But every other guy on the team with plans of hockey beyond college is playing for a free agent pro deal, and this hurts them unfairly. Like many others have said, penalizing current players for something a completely different administration was responsible for is unfortunate collateral damage.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

The penalties may seem harsh, and I ALWAYS feel bad when one group of players gets hurt because of stuff that happened before they were even there, but when infractions go on for several years and the NCAA can label it as "lack of institutional control" the hammer's gonna come down pretty hard.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about my Falcons playing in Fairbanks this weekend. The 'Nooks might be a gang of super-charged ******ed-off guys who feel they have nothing to lose...or they might be a demoralized mess. If I were Coach Bergeron, I'd have my boys prepared for the former.
                        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
                          Oh, they go to UAA. That's what a forfeit is. The Alaska Dispatch states:

According to the NCAA findings, the hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. The Nanooks were 67-66-25 over that span, and the wins and ties will all become losses.

Four of the wins and two of the ties came against rival UAA, which will get to adjust its records during those seasons to reflect the changes.

An unknown number of victories from the 2011-12 season are also at risk. UAF used ineligible players in 60 percent of its games in that 12-20-4 season, and the school is in the process of figuring out which games will be impacted.

The immediate impact is the loss of 67 victories and 25 ties recorded by the hockey team from 2007-2010, plus an unknown number from the 2011-12 season. The Nanooks must also surrender their 2009 and 2010 Governor's Cup championships to the University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves.
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I find it quite ironic that Joe Maturi was one of the committee members that reviewed this case. When he was the AD at Minnesota, he did nothing about the underage drinking scandal with the hockey program, as well as the illegal gifts the players received when they got into bars without paying the cover charges. That whole thing was a big story, and not one player sat out a game. Instead they attended orientations on the dangers of underage drinking. Really?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                              The penalties may seem harsh, and I ALWAYS feel bad when one group of players gets hurt because of stuff that happened before they were even there...

Thank you for your heart felt sympathies, but I believe you forgot the BS, wink, or other emoticon that lets folks know you were just kidding.

After the NCAA announcement, Freddie from ay-ziggy-zoomba.com writes…
                              “I figured they were going to be one ****ed off bunch after getting swept at Bemidji last week.
                              We need to put a knee on their throat and choke the daylights out of them.”

I’m sure the boys will be prepared. Should be a good series.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Oh, they go to UAA. That's what a forfeit is. The Alaska Dispatch states:
                                Will the NCAA require the old players from UAA to skate around the ice with the trophy (I don't know, I assume there is one) to make this official? The people who went to the games saw one team win and one team lose. Will the NCAA send people out to reprogram the fans? Will they confiscate all literature stating Alaska won these games? What if I have an old program? Will some of these guys just disappear? Does the NCAA have a plane and a black site and rendition protocols? This is pretty silly.

I really feel bad to the kids up in Fairbanks and the fans who just took one to the nuts. Yeah, they screwed up. Good thing they took the initiative with the self-imposed punishments. That worked out splendidly. Meanwhile at Florida State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Kentucky, etc. etc. etc....

Comment

Working...
                                X