Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Anything break this morning?
    I'm in Fairbanks today and didn't even feel it. Sounds like Anchorage had fun though.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Blue & Gold game tonight at the Patty at 7:00. Hope we win.
      It’s sponsored by, and is a fund raiser for the Face Off Club.
      Free hotdog and cookie social after the game.

Also on tap this weekend:
      - Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, 10:30am, Wedgewood Resort
      - Tour of Carlson Center locker rooms from 1:00 - 3:00 if you haven’t had the chance yet.
      - Alumni sponsored tailgate party from 5:00 – 7:00 at the Patty.

I would expect us to be able to sign up for the WCHA America One streaming package any day now. I hope UAF, along with a few other schools have got their HD equipment in place and have plans to up their game a little bit in this effort. Some schools do a pretty good job and some schools not so much. It’s more than just equipment.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I just hope we win tonight. It hurts to start the season with a loss.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Colton Parayko is unreal this year. He's been good before but after the blue/gold game and the skills tests he seems almost too good to be true. Hardest shot at 101 MPH and a close second for fastest skater plus with his top athlete award from the preseason training...boy I'm glad he's on our side and pray we can keep him for the rest of his school years.

Also impressed with Kyle Froese and Zach Frye as freshmen. Cahill seems to really want to top goalie spot but I still think Davis Jones will be a top contender for that. But yeah Parayko makes me excited for the season to start. He's a beast.

Comment

It was great to see the boys back on the ice for the annual Blue & Gold game. I don’t know enough to evaluate the new talent, but I hope the coaches liked what they saw. I thought the goaltenders and the freshman looked good. Not a lot of scoring in the 1-1 contest, so the winner was decided by a shootout for the second year in a row.

A few more shots from tonight’s Blue & Gold game HERE.

Can’t wait till next weekend when we take on Western Ontario in an exhibition contest. Game time is 7:07 at the Carlson.

Go Nooks!
            Last edited by mmf; 02-21-2015, 10:30 AM. Reason: Removed embedded photos 2-20-15

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

Can’t wait till next weekend when we take on Western Ontario in an exhibition contest. Game time is 7:07 at the Carlson.

Go Nooks!
              Neither can I. The last time Western Ontario was in town was 2006, Coach Mac's last season. 'Nooks won narrowly on Friday 2-1 before they took our community college step-children from the south to the shed and beat their hind parts until they bled on Saturday. One of the rare occasions a CIS school has ever toppled an NCAA school. The fact that it was ACC makes it that much better.

Great shots as always, sir. You are both a gentleman, and a scholar.

--B
              Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
                Neither can I. The last time Western Ontario was in town was 2006, Coach Mac's last season. 'Nooks won narrowly on Friday 2-1 before they took our community college step-children from the south to the shed and beat their hind parts until they bled on Saturday. One of the rare occasions a CIS school has ever toppled an NCAA school. The fact that it was ACC makes it that much better.

Great shots as always, sir. You are both a gentleman, and a scholar.

--B
                I remember when that happened. Hopefully the coaches have it ingrained in our guys' heads to not sleep walk through this one, unlike North Central Alberta School of Technology or whoever they are.

On another note, do we split the cost with Anchorage when these Canadian schools come up for exhibitions?

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                  Colton Parayko is unreal this year. He's been good before but after the blue/gold game and the skills tests he seems almost too good to be true. Hardest shot at 101 MPH and a close second for fastest skater plus with his top athlete award from the preseason training...boy I'm glad he's on our side and pray we can keep him for the rest of his school years.

Also impressed with Kyle Froese and Zach Frye as freshmen. Cahill seems to really want to top goalie spot but I still think Davis Jones will be a top contender for that. But yeah Parayko makes me excited for the season to start. He's a beast.
                  Parayko is likely gone after this year. I'm somewhat surprised the Blues didn't call him up after last season.

I only stayed for the first half of Blue/Gold, but you could definitely tell guys were going at about 2/3 speed and trying not to hurt each other. Nice to see Gadowsky back in town for his HOF induction but I hope the love fest is over three weeks from now when he's on the opposite bench.

As a side note, season tickets now include the Brice as well as playoffs (if we host). That is a nice change.

Comment

The Nooks are picked 5th in both the WCHA coaches and media polls, a fair assessment. MSU should definitely be favored, and unfortunately, UAH and LSSU are probably where they are destined to be this year. But spots 2 through 8 (and possible 9) will be another crap shoot. Who has a favorable schedule rotation, a bad game, a bad bounce, or an untimely injury can and will probably jumble the spots week in and week out.

I am curious about the media poll. 26 participants are listed and if everyone voted UAH 10th, then their 26 point total is correct. How come the poll shows 27 first place votes? Did Bruce Cech call his vote in and speak so fast that he got two votes in before anybody noticed?

Just kidding Bruce.

Go Nooks!

Comment

The Nooks are picked 5th in both the WCHA coaches and media polls, a fair assessment. MSU should definitely be favored, and unfortunately, UAH and LSSU are probably where they are destined to be this year. But spots 2 through 8 (and possible 9) will be another crap shoot. Who has a favorable schedule rotation, a bad game, a bad bounce, or an untimely injury can and will probably jumble the spots week in and week out.

I am curious about the media poll. 26 participants are listed and if everyone voted UAH 10th, then their 26 point total is correct. How come the poll shows 27 first place votes? Did Bruce Cech call his vote in and speak so fast that he got two votes in before anybody noticed?

Just kidding Bruce.

Go Nooks!
                      I think 5th is accurate...for now. Depending on how fast things gel, I would expect us to finish higher.

Comment

We'll have a key player out with injuries to start the season, and probably one more not at 100%. Could mean a slower start to the season, but also an opportunity to see which freshman quickly adapt to the college game. Hope we have a full slate by the time conference play rolls around. I thought all the freshmen looked solid at the Blue/Gold scrimmage, such that it is, but particularly, Krieger and Sparrow.

We'll know more about the team after Friday night's game with Western Ontario, but not that much. Coach will probably be working on some basic systems and experimenting with some line combos. I would think all three goalies see a period of action. Some years the exhibition games with the Canadian teams have gotten a little physical. We certainly do not need any injuries from this game.

Go Nooks!

Comment

We'll have a key player out with injuries to start the season, and probably one more not at 100%. Could mean a slower start to the season, but also an opportunity to see which freshman quickly adapt to the college game. Hope we have a full slate by the time conference play rolls around. I thought all the freshmen looked solid at the Blue/Gold scrimmage, such that it is, but particularly, Krieger and Sparrow.

We'll know more about the team after Friday night's game with Western Ontario, but not that much. Coach will probably be working on some basic systems and experimenting with some line combos. I would think all three goalies see a period of action. Some years the exhibition games with the Canadian teams have gotten a little physical. We certainly do not need any injuries from this game.

Go Nooks!
                          Morley?

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Morley?
                            Tyler should be a go for the Kendall. He was allegedly supposed to know by today.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              On another note, do we split the cost with Anchorage when these Canadian schools come up for exhibitions?
                              Yes, transportation and lodging is split, however I don't know if its a full ride for them or not.

Comment

What pre-season conditioning award did Nolan Youngmun receive at the Blue/Gold game? I have always admired his speed, gritty play, on-ice work ethic, and the example he sets as a student athlete. But I couldn’t hear squat. The Patty sound system is so bad that you can’t understand anything being said. And I know that Britton is only responsible for a small part of that.

I barley made out Parayko’s conditioning awards. Sounded like he received the strongest player and best conditioned overall in preseason tests. He won the hardest shot, was second in the faster skater skill contest (neck-n-neck with Youngmun), and buried the winning shootout goal to win the contest for the Gold Team. But I did note that he did not drive the Zamboni between periods. What’s up with that?

Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
                                X