Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodies

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
    Curious what the math is on this site.
    Not the actual math, but at least, the thought behind it:
    MYHockey's ratings are computed mathematically, with no subjective weighting. MYHockey rates teams based upon how well they play against other teams and how good those teams are. These two factors are "AGD" or "average goal differential" and "SCHED" or "strength of schedule". AGD is currently calculated by accumulating the goal differential of each game, to a maximum of 7, and then dividing it by the number of games played. Using a max game goal differential of 7 does "penalize" teams that blow out opponents, but this is common in rating systems as it takes away the incentive for teams to run up scores and allows them to have a bad game by capping the mathematical damage. The strength of schedule is computed by averaging the rating of each game opponent. AGD and SCHED are then added together to compute a team's official rating. A teamís rating typically is not reflective of the teamís best or worst games, but a mathematically computed average performance rating.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Not the actual math, but at least, the thought behind it:
      Harvard will show up somewhere after Friday's result vs. BU is in the books (minimum of 5 games played).
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

1. Boston College
        2. Minnesota
        3. Wisconsin
        4. Quinnipiac
        5. Clarkson
        6. Harvard
        7. Bemidji
        8. UMD
        9. Mercyhurst
        10. Cornell

Comment

The poll is back yayyyy

Week IX Posters Poll

Code:
          Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range (Mode)  Last week (change)
            1. 187    Boston College (17)     1-3   (1)     1 (0)
            2. 168    Minnesota (1)           1-3   (2)     2 (0)
            3. 155    Wisconsin (1)           1-4   (3)     3 (0)
            4. 132    Quinnipiac              3-8   (4)     4 (0)
            5. 109    Clarkson                4-7   (5)     7 (+2)
            6.  78    Bemidji State           5-10  (6)     8 (+2)
            7.  77    Harvard                 5-10  (7)     5 (-2)
            8.  43    Minnesota-Duluth        6-NR  (9)     ARV (+3)
            9.  41    Boston University       5-NR  (10)    6 (-3)
           10.  33    Mercyhurst              6-NR  (8)     9 (-1)

Also Receiving Votes:
                16    Cornell                 9-NR  (10)    ARV 
                 3    Vermont                 9-NR  (9.5)   ARV
                 1    North Dakota            10-NR (10)    10 (-1) 
                 1    Princeton               10-NR (10)    NR
                 1    St. Lawrence            10-NR (10)    NR

Dropped Out:
                      Dartmouth
                      Ohio State
                      Northeastern
          Week IX Chart: http://i.imgur.com/1nWFkPH.jpg
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

So, by this poll, Minnesota has played 7 of its 12 games against teams in the top ten. Wisconsin has played 6. Boston College and Quinnipiac have combined to play . . . uhm, I may run out of fingers . . . 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              So, by this poll, Minnesota has played 7 of its 12 games against teams in the top ten. Wisconsin has played 6. Boston College and Quinnipiac have combined to play . . . uhm, I may run out of fingers . . . 0.
              Why you gotta harsh the mellow of bc and quinnipea-ack. They have combined to play 3 TUCs, so there is that.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

http://www.nashvillescene.com/binary...hate-eagle.jpg
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  Correct. And by the same logic, Minnesota and Wisconsin have LOST to top 10 teams. Guess all 4 should move down and make Clarkson #1. Oh... except Clarkson lost to #9 BU. Let's move them down too. Let's make Bemidji #1. Oh... but they lost to Wisconsin and some other non-Top 10 teams. OK, let's move Wisconsin to #1 then. Oh.. but they lost to Minnesota. OK, let's make them #1. Oh... but they lost to Bemidji. So let's put Bemidji at number one. Wait, that's not going to work. Let's put BC at #1 and Quinnipiac at #4. Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                    And by the same logic...
                    No, that's totally different logic.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      No, that's totally different logic.
                      Actually, my post has no logic at all. Which, is kind of my point

Comment

But you can't use it as an excuse to post an image of cupcakes, which is really the only point of Eeyore's post, so that then TTT can post that same image he always does, like he's RStarr or something. Message board debates weren't nearly so graphical back in my day (although now that I think of it, they'd have had to involve push pins.)

Comment

it looks to me like your point is you cannot predict the outcome of two teams playing one another on the basis of how they played against common opponents. I agree, however the problem is that only 8 teams will get to play in the NCAA tournament, and those teams are selected by the process you say has no logic (and I agree, in fact nearly everyone agrees). So right now BU & Mercyhurst would be out, but wait, the CHA champ has an auto bid. So Mercyhurst or some other CHA team will bump UMD if the tournament was played this weekend.
                          But is Harvard really better than BU? Is Bemidji better than UMD or any team below? The only way to know is to have them play.
                          In the end a couple of teams get screwed out of playing in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
                            Interesting ranking of Women's D1 on myhockeyrankings, I can't say I would disagree too much. Curious what the math is on this site.
                            http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2014&a=f&v=903
                            While I don't disagree with the ranking, using goal differential is just wrong, it rewards teams for playing cupcakes instead of playing tough opponents.
                            I don't know about the rest of you, but opening weekend I was much more interesting in watching MN take on BU rather than Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              it looks to me like your point is you cannot predict the outcome of two teams playing one another on the basis of how they played against common opponents. I agree, however the problem is that only 8 teams will get to play in the NCAA tournament, and those teams are selected by the process you say has no logic (and I agree, in fact nearly everyone agrees). So right now BU & Mercyhurst would be out, but wait, the CHA champ has an auto bid. So Mercyhurst or some other CHA team will bump UMD if the tournament was played this weekend.
                              But is Harvard really better than BU? Is Bemidji better than UMD or any team below? The only way to know is to have them play.
                              In the end a couple of teams get screwed out of playing in the tournament.
                              You read my mind! So now I get to make my next point, which is what I think about when ranking teams. I rank based on my guess of which team I think will, right now, win a 5 game series on neutral ice against any of the teams below it. The #1 team will win that series against all teams, #2 will win that series against all but the #1 team, and so on. So the CHA conundrum is irrelevant to my ranking. I won't put a CHA team in the top 8 because it satisfies the selection committee's paradigm. I also admit that I have no faith in my predictive abilities when I get to the back half of the top 10!

Is that the consensus on how everyone ranks the Top 10? Share your view... I think it would be interesting and instructive to understand our different approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                The poll is back yayyyy

Week IX Posters Poll

Code:
                                Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range (Mode)  Last week (change)
                                  1. 187    Boston College (17)     1-3   (1)     1 (0)
                                  2. 168    Minnesota (1)           1-3   (2)     2 (0)
                                  3. 155    Wisconsin (1)           1-4   (3)     3 (0)
                                  4. 132    Quinnipiac              3-8   (4)     4 (0)
                                  5. 109    Clarkson                4-7   (5)     7 (+2)
                                  6.  78    Bemidji State           5-10  (6)     8 (+2)
                                  7.  77    Harvard                 5-10  (7)     5 (-2)
                                  8.  43    Minnesota-Duluth        6-NR  (9)     ARV (+3)
                                  9.  41    Boston University       5-NR  (10)    6 (-3)
                                 10.  33    Mercyhurst              6-NR  (8)     9 (-1)

Also Receiving Votes:
                                      16    Cornell                 9-NR  (10)    ARV 
                                       3    Vermont                 9-NR  (9.5)   ARV
                                       1    North Dakota            10-NR (10)    10 (-1) 
                                       1    Princeton               10-NR (10)    NR
                                       1    St. Lawrence            10-NR (10)    NR

Dropped Out:
                                            Dartmouth
                                            Ohio State
                                            Northeastern
                                Week IX Chart: http://i.imgur.com/1nWFkPH.jpg
                                Nice chart, but UW should be red, not yellow.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X