Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodies

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    3. Boston College -- Pretty good game against UNH. A sweep of Cornell would move them up to 2 no matter what Wisconsin does to Bemidji, and #1 if Minny slips at all vs. ND.
    Best go on record now I suppose. I'm thinking no. Not if Wisconsin takes care of business @ Bemidji. #2 with a Minnesota stumble vs. NoDak maybe. But hey...I get it. It's not unlike the PWR and it's propensity to grossly over-value wins in outcomes of east vs. east tussles.-- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Concluded per a discussion with grandaddyscout eh!
    Last edited by brookyone; 10-24-2014, 03:56 PM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

So I'm thinking USCHO's math is wrong here... lol

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...ngs/d-i-women/

Minnesota's KRACH in scientific notation was impressive but BC having an RPI over 1.000 is a new level hahaha
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

1) Minnesota
        2) Boston College
        3) Wisconsin
        4) Harvard
        5) Quinnipiac
        6) North Dakota
        7) Cornell
        8) Boston University
        9) Clarkson
        10) Minnesota Duluth
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          1) Minnesota
          2) Boston College
          3) Wisconsin
          4) Harvard
          5) Quinnipiac
          6) North Dakota
          7) Cornell
          8) Boston University
          9) Clarkson
          10) Minnesota Duluth
          That top 5 looks spot on. 6-10 is going to require some thought... what a mess!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
            That top 5 looks spot on. 6-10 is going to require some thought... what a mess!
            Yeah pretty much

Comment

Me thinks there is a LOT more chaos to come in 7-10. There should be some repositioning above that when the Ivies begin. The FUN has beGUN.
              Little did I know it would be this much chaos!

Comment

1. Minnesota -- That North Dakota game was something else
                2. Boston College -- Well that was certainly what I was hoping to see.
                3. Wisconsin -- Had a weekend that seemed very similar to BC's against SLU.
                4. Harvard -- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                5. Quinnipiac -- Looking pretty darn good. Gonna be fun to watch in the ECAC.
                6. Mercyhurst -- Nice sweep.
                7. Cornell -- Looked much better on Saturday.
                8. Boston University -- Without Poutine they got burned by Maine. Yikes. Would like to know when she's returning.
                9. St. Lawrence -- Big game against Clarkson Tuesday night.
                10. North Dakota -- Saturday was a very bad game against Minnesota, even by typical-games-against-Minnesota standards. Yikes. I mean really, my goodness.

Comment

1. Minnesota -- That North Dakota game was something else
                  2. Boston College -- Well that was certainly what I was hoping to see.
                  3. Wisconsin -- Had a weekend that seemed very similar to BC's against SLU.
                  4. Harvard -- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                  5. Quinnipiac -- Looking pretty darn good. Gonna be fun to watch in the ECAC.
                  6. Mercyhurst -- Nice sweep.
                  7. Cornell -- Looked much better on Saturday.
                  8. Boston University -- Without Poutine they got burned by Maine. Yikes. Would like to know when she's returning.
                  9. St. Lawrence -- Big game against Clarkson Tuesday night.
                  10. North Dakota -- Saturday was a very bad game against Minnesota, even by typical-games-against-Minnesota standards. Yikes. I mean really, my goodness.
                  Tony... Mercyhurst at number 6? A 1 goal win and then tie against Maine and then split with Northeastern. Hmmm... I think they are bubble top 10.

Comment

1) Minnesota
                    2) Boston College
                    3) Wisconsin
                    4) Harvard
                    5) Quinnipiac
                    6) Cornell
                    7) Boston University
                    8) Ohio State
                    9) Yale
                    10) Clarkson

Comment

1. Minnesota - obviously
                      2. Boston College - ditto
                      3. Wisconsin
                      4. Harvard
                      5. Quinnipiac - too many goals... who is this team?

6-10 is one big guess. I can't find a CHA team I like, and I'm losing confidence in everything out west except for the top 2

6. Cornell - not ready to punish them for losing their first games of the year against the #2 team in the country
                      7. Boston University - not ready to punish them for losing without their capitaine
                      8. St Lawrence - they played BC close... they get credit for that on top of blowing out some teams
                      9. Yale - can't be sure, but opening weekend was dominant
                      10. Vermont - welcome to the top 10... beat NoDak and some solid wins
                      Last edited by PuckRush; 10-25-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Tony... Mercyhurst at number 6? A 1 goal win and then tie against Maine and then split with Northeastern. Hmmm... I think they are bubble top 10.
                        That's fair. I just think 6-1-1 is more than a lot of teams can say right now.

Comment

1. Minnesota - scraped by Saturday to maintain no. 1.
                          2. BC - mmm...red velvet cupcakes.
                          3. WisconSIN - maintained but BC won the cupcake wars.
                          4. Harvard - Is this team ever going to play a game?
                          5. Quinnipiac - just win baby.
                          6. Mercyhurst - they won the coin flip with BU
                          7. BU - they lost the coin flip with Mercyhurst
                          8. Yale - don't really know enough about them but what the heck
                          9. Clarkson - 9 goals against the orange gets them 9th
                          10. Flickertails - 7 shots against Minnesota Saturday gets them the nickname.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

1.Minnesota
                            2.Boston College
                            3.Wisconsin
                            4.Harvard
                            5.Quinnipiac
                            6.Mercyhurst
                            7.Cornell
                            8.Yale
                            9.Boston University
                            10.SLU

Comment

1. Minnesota
                              2. Boston College -- but I actually suspect BC has more depth. Field has been quiet this year and perhaps putting Capizzano on the Field-Anastos line when she's better will unlock that, giving us three strong scoring lines (Kent has earned the right to stay with Skarupa and Carpenter for a few more weeks). Minnesota looks like two really strong lines is its ceiling.
                              3. Wisconsin -- not always convincing against Bemidji

--- BIG GAP ---

4. Mercyhurst -- I have both Northeastern and Maine down as a team that can beat anyone on the day this year, except one of the big three above, so Mercyhurst's non-Ws count less.
                              5. Quinnipiac -- Undefeated. Penn State tie is baffling but everyone's allowed one.
                              6. Harvard -- with two weeks practice under their belt they should have sustained better pressure against the Blades.

-- SMALLER GAP

7. Boston University -- they didn't have Poulin for the Maine loss so it counts less, and Maine clearly have flashes of inspiration this year. But it still smells like a surprising lack of depth. Could go back up but if Poulin continues to stay out they could fall further. I reserve the right to come back to this after the Northeastern game on Tuesday.
                              8. Cornell -- who knows?
                              9. Clarkson -- they had a lot of inconsistencies last year but came good in the end. Not ready to write them off yet.
                              10. SLU -- Why not.

Also under consideration:
                              * Yale -- in my personal RPI wins against Providence are multiplied by a weighting of 0.0000001
                              * Ohio State -- 5th in the pairwise!
                              * North Dakota -- kept it close on Friday but what a meltdown on Saturday
                              * RIT

Comment

So I'm thinking USCHO's math is wrong here... lol

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...ngs/d-i-women/

Minnesota's KRACH in scientific notation was impressive but BC having an RPI over 1.000 is a new level hahaha
                                And I think BC having an RPI over 1.000 has put Cornell back as a TUC, yes? Because they now have an RPI of .5002. So it has a knockon effect on EVERYTHING.

Comment

Working...
                                X