Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

Tonight is the dedication and ribbon cutting ceremony for the Gene Polisseni Center... as Coach Wilson has said, "A much bigger, better Ritter." And today starts the new thread for the 2014-15 season. It doesn't seem that long ago we all attended the ground breaking ceremony!
    Last edited by RITFan67; 09-18-2014, 10:05 AM.
    RIT TIGERS
    Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
    Frozen Four 2010
    The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
    Tonight is the dedication and ribbon cutting ceremony for the Gene Polisseni Center... as Coach Wilson has said, "A much bigger, better Ritter." And today starts the new thread for the 2014-15 season. It doesn't seem that long ago we all attended the ground breaking ceremony!
    Hope to hear lots of reviews of the new place from those who are lucky enough to be there. Can't wait to get to Rochester to See it for myself.
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

All the pictures on the Men's Hockey FB page look great. Still bummed that there's no center-hung scoreboard, but the two screens look to be decent sized.

RIT Hockey FB Group
      Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

Yeah, the end videoboards are plenty big enough. The scoreboards are at center ice.

I'm still not sure about the acoustics. There's an overhang above the end seats and some of the band's sound was going up there and just dying. Also, the voices from the ice echoed weirdly. I don't understand why they left the ceiling open to the girders; that seems like it will attenuate and delay sounds rather than reflecting them.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          Yeah, the end videoboards are plenty big enough. The scoreboards are at center ice.
          Powers &8^]
          I meant more like a center-ice hanging board with video

RIT Hockey FB Group
          Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

I'm still not sure about the acoustics. There's an overhang above the end seats and some of the band's sound was going up there and just dying. Also, the voices from the ice echoed weirdly. I don't understand why they left the ceiling open to the girders; that seems like it will attenuate and delay sounds rather than reflecting them.

Powers &8^]
            The videoboards are great... unfortunately their high resolution is slightly compromised by the nets in front of them at each end of the arena. As far as the acoustics are concerned, the sound of the band heard from the upper part of the stands at mid-ice sounded very Ritter-like. However, the clarity of the speeches/announcements could have been better. On the good side, Rocky's voice came through loud and clear... how could it not?
            RIT TIGERS
            Frozen Four 2010

Comment

I had been on a tour of the rink once before as some of you may recall when I posted pictures, but this was my first time in the building since it had walls on all sides...

I for one thought it was amazing. I went in skeptical about the video boards, but I sat at center ice and could see both of them clearly. They COULD be bigger, but they don't need to be. The picture quality was also great. I will mention that from the top row at center ice I also thought the band sounded good, louder than they would have been at the same distance in Ritter.

The building does not feel like one where corners were cut, even though we know they were. The amenities look really good, and there are so many little touches that make it clear a lot of love was put into it. It seems like anywhere there was 2-3 feet of whitespace they found a way to throw up a jersey or a banner or some momento. The locker rooms are pretty spectacular too, and the ventilation system they have set up for them was able to keep two rooms full of sweaty gear ALMOST smell pleasant. There are also high-def TVs everywhere! Above all the concession stands, in the suites, in the concourse areas..there's never an excuse to miss part of the game now.

The dedication itself was of course corny and at times very awkward (you can't convince me Mrs. Polisseni wasn't drunk) but I walked out of there ridiculously hyped for the season and the new barn.
              RIT

Comment

If anyone has video of Tom Golisano's awesome speech (relevent) about his taxes, please post that online....I still can't even believe that happened.
                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

The workmanship by LeChase (and sub-contractors) on the arena impressed me. No matter where I looked, the finished quality was very high. They may have cut back on some things to save a few $, but workmanship wasn't affected.
                  RIT TIGERS
                  Frozen Four 2010

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                    If anyone has video of Tom Golisano's awesome speech (relevent) about his taxes, please post that online....I still can't even believe that happened.
                    I can't either.
                    RIT TIGERS
                    Frozen Four 2010

Comment

Does anyone have video from the event? TWC has an article but you can only watch the footage if you're a member.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                        Does anyone have video from the event? TWC has an article but you can only watch the footage if you're a member.
                        A lot of the news agencies here had stories/video

D&C: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...rena/15860701/
                        13WHAM: http://13wham.com/news/features/top-...na-15822.shtml
                        Rochester Homepage: http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/sto...OEGKnu6-4CKJWw

Lots of pictures and more info here: http://www.rit.edu/news/polisseni.php
                        This video was shown on the video boards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyEm...XUa3SLAPgtT1IQ

Edit: Here is another video of the event - this one added by RIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20h...ure=youtu.be&a
                        Last edited by mar7967; 09-19-2014, 11:03 AM.
                        Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                        College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                        Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                        Men's Frozen Four 2010
                        Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                        Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                          ...There are also high-def TVs everywhere! Above all the concession stands, in the suites, in the concourse areas..there's never an excuse to miss part of the game now...
                          Crappers and urinals too?? ( ) That stated as a joke, of course, but it would be truly awesome if so... although I would tend to fear the unintended consequences of live-action feeds into the "rest areas"!

A "pilgrimage" to RIT is definitely required this season, and I am looking forward to it!

Cheers,
                          ~TTF
                          Dave
                          RIT - '90

Comment

I'm curious about how steep the seating is and how close one "feels" to the ice. Anyone who has been in the building have a read on it? For me this is the A#1 item that makes or breaks a hockey arena. Everything else is window dressing.
                            My Four Favorite teams:
                            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                              I'm curious about how steep the seating is and how close one "feels" to the ice. Anyone who has been in the building have a read on it? For me this is the A#1 item that makes or breaks a hockey arena. Everything else is window dressing.
                              It's pretty steep... I would say that from the same row at Ritter you will feel just about as close in the Polisseni. Maybe you'd have to move one row closer. Myself, and the rest of my group, opted for the top row for a better overall view of the arena. The vantage point from there is excellent too. Also, just like the Ritter, the first row is at the glass with no aisle in front. However, I've been told that the "glass" is now Plexiglass. We'll see how long that lasts before they have to bite the bullet and replace it with real glass because Plexi marks up so easily.
                              RIT TIGERS
                              Frozen Four 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X