Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

Exciting game Friday evening, and AIC did come to play. The 46 shots was nice to see, and their goalie did make a number of fine saves, but the entire game hinged on two plays at the end. Thompson so obviously, and needlessly, hacking at an AIC player skating through the middle was simply stupid. Josh Mitchell was out of position on #17's one-timer, and couldn't get over to block the shooting lane. That was the game.

The band did a fine job with only about 1/3 of its members. Luckily they had a tuba. It made all the difference. Good work.

Comment

• Better result. Good effort. I think Mike would of wanted both of the AIC goals back. He could of stopped both especially the second.

Let's hope they build on this and carry the momentum to SHU.

BTW when I write about parity it has nothing to do with shots on goal. Shots on goal had little to do with the results this weekend as AIC was one goal away from a repeat of last night.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
        Better result. Good effort. I think Mike would of wanted both of the AIC goals back. He could of stopped both especially the second.

Let's hope they build on this and carry the momentum to SHU.

BTW when I write about parity it has nothing to do with shots on goal. Shots on goal had little to do with the results this weekend as AIC was one goal away from a repeat of last night.
        The first certainly wasn't Rotolo's fault, you give anybody that much time and space in the slot and they will bury it.

AIC's goalie is the only reason it wasn't a 6-2 game though, RIT had a ton of great chances that he just managed to get in the way of. Not to mention the several other whiffs by RIT. All in all we had something like 85 shots on the weekend and held them to only 40. With numbers like that you should always be skating away with 3-4 points, which we did. We've already begun to climb up the ladder and have games in hand.
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
          My point with the shots is that it's hard to make a case for lack of effort when RIT charts 40+ goals in a game.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            My point with the shots is that it's hard to make a case for lack of effort when RIT charts 40+ goals in a game.

Powers &8^]
            I hear you guys and I agree that that many shots certainly is a positive indication of great effort in getting the puck to the net. We all agree that you have to get the puck on net to have a chance to win. We can also agree that a good defense likes to limit a teams shots from the perimeter and not from inside the hash marks. My 'guess' on the weekend was that part of RIT's game plan against AIC's young goalie was
            to put a lot of shots on net looking for a rebound and a 'greasy goal'. A hot goalie will limit those perimeter shot rebounds and as the shot total adds up it doesn't always correlate to goals. Hence AIC's goalie getting the first star on Friday night. A shot chart posted after each period and maybe posted by RIT Hockey on Twitter would be a bonus for us RIT fans. Still a good result for RIT hockey as a three point weekend will always help them climb in the standings as Coach pointed out in his post game interview.
            Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 01-11-2015, 06:39 AM.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

A couple of points. On Friday - it seemed like RIT would play great, get the goal, and then settle back. The third period and overtime were the better periods of the day (which gave them almost half their shots that day). I thought Saturday was certainly better, even if the goals weren't there as much as we would have liked. They needed to get that win.

RIT should know that they can beat Sacred Heart if they play their game based on the Friday game against them. But play against them like they did on the Saturday game and we will get the Saturday result.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

3 points is a good weekend, if not for sloppy play would have been a great weekend. Really sloppy play made Saturday a closer game than it should be....

We move on...
                Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                The Mule
                Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Will be interesting to see if a Ruby/Rotolo rotation is the norm for a few weeks. Certainly by playing Rotolo on Saturday Wilson is telling Ruby that his job is far from secure even after being good enough to be Atlantic Hockey goalie of the month. Even though neither of them was lights out, ultimately Rotolo got a W and Ruby didn't.
                  RIT

Comment

Both guys played alright in net, neither was more impressive than the other...

This team still needs to improve on cashing in on Scoring chances. AIC goals made it look like they had better snipers than RIT...
                    Last edited by Tom Naeger; 01-13-2015, 06:56 PM.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I don't know if we have any snipers. I don't think we've had a D with a decent point shot since Tanev; if we don't have a guy in front to redirect it, it's not going in.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                        Both guys played alright in net, neither was more impressive than the other...

This team still needs to improve on cashing in on Scoring chances. AIC goals made it look like they had better snipers than RIT...
                        Well, they do have a guy with, what, 16 goals? It's fair to say they have a few guys that can shoot the puck. The days of AIC as a total doormat are over.

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        I don't know if we have any snipers. I don't think we've had a D with a decent point shot since Tanev; if we don't have a guy in front to redirect it, it's not going in.

Powers &8^]
                        Saracino had a pretty wicked clapper from the blue line. Having defense willing to fire it in on net during the powerplay is something of a lost art for RIT..
                        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                          Will be interesting to see if a Ruby/Rotolo rotation is the norm for a few weeks. Certainly by playing Rotolo on Saturday Wilson is telling Ruby that his job is far from secure even after being good enough to be Atlantic Hockey goalie of the month. Even though neither of them was lights out, ultimately Rotolo got a W and Ruby didn't.
                          Not sure you can pin the TIE on Ruby, more like a total collapse of common sense and defense at the end of that game. As Tom said later, neither of the two are spectacular at this moment so it will probably be 'goalie de jour' for a little while until one of them shows what Wilson is looking for.
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                            Well, they do have a guy with, what, 16 goals? It's fair to say they have a few guys that can shoot the puck. The days of AIC as a total doormat are over.
                            Yeah the might 3-14-5 AIC Yellow Jackets (3-8-5 AHA). If not for a Niagara team that been floored by injuries they would be dead last...

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                              Yeah the might 3-14-5 AIC Yellow Jackets (3-8-5 AHA). If not for a Niagara team that been floored by injuries they would be dead last...
                              Record wise that is true, but I think they are more capable of pulling off upsets and stealing points than in the past.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                                Not sure you can pin the TIE on Ruby, more like a total collapse of common sense and defense at the end of that game. As Tom said later, neither of the two are spectacular at this moment so it will probably be 'goalie de jour' for a little while until one of them shows what Wilson is looking for.
                                The last two goals AIC scored on Ruby were less because of amazing shots and more because Ruby was simply off of his angle. Now, granted, Rotolo let in a softie of his own for the 2nd AIC goal, and overall the defense was tighter on Saturday night limiting the chance for Rotolo to let in that 2nd softie to tie the game, but the reality is Rotolo got the win and Ruby didn't with similar (not identical, but definitely similar) performances in front of them. I suspect they'll split games again this weekend, as the difference certainly wasn't that great, but Ruby needs to be better.

Originally posted by blazer777
                                Saracino had a pretty wicked clapper from the blue line. Having defense willing to fire it in on net during the powerplay is something of a lost art for RIT..
                                Haltigin had a rocket too, as did Colavecchia - who was a forward but played point on the PP.

Comment

Working...
                                X