X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Season 2014 - 2015 Thread: PART I

Hoooooooooo boy.

I knew this team wouldn't be good but it's way way worse than I thought. And this isn't an effort issue or a team mailing it in. This team is horrifically bad.

It's been years in the making with the massive recruiting whiffs. Still, a team with this type of "talent" should be able to look better on the ice than they do. Coaching staff 100% to blame for this mess.

I will say Spiro looked good, had an apple on the first goal and created a partial breakaway that led to a PP (don't even get me started on this).

Strap in kids, it's going to be a long long long long season and teams have been waiting years and years to stick it in BC and they are all lining up now. Step right up!
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
      Add in some sexual assaults and now you're talking a real flipped script.

I hate to say this but guess which favorite poster of ours called this just a few days ago? Hint: He doesn't know how to use quotes on this board.

There is no way to put this, this is the worst BC team in the last 15+ years and it isn't even close. Gonna be a long season.

Ho Hum

Comment

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

We have seen this play out before for BC. Seemingly insurmountable struggles early in the season as York figures things out and then BC is a freight train the second half of the season. As an outsider, I see 2 main issues for BC.

1) Production increase of returning players. BC had a heralded freshman class last year. While they scored well, I thought their potential was held back a bit due to the Gaudreau-Hayes-Arnold line getting so much more ice time. I expected a huge jump for these sophomores. Fitzgerald seems to have gotten the message but not sure about some of the others. Hard to believe Cangelosi doesn't have a goal yet.

2) Goaltending. Billet gone combined with Demko's hip issues leaves BC very thin. Sorry, but hip issues aside, I think he is a bit overrated. A .919 college career save percentage is not much above average these days especially when playing in front of above average to elite defensive corps.

Not sure how the goaltending will play out, but I expect the scoring to at least partially come around and that we will still be talking about BC when NCAA time comes around. I mean, come on, BC was #3 in the country a week ago and I believe projected as #2 preseason in Hockey East. I don't believe all that is turned upside down in a week and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

We have seen this play out before for BC. Seemingly insurmountable struggles early in the season as York figures things out and then BC is a freight train the second half of the season. As an outsider, I see 2 main issues for BC.

1) Production increase of returning players. BC had a heralded freshman class last year. While they scored well, I thought their potential was held back a bit due to the Gaudreau-Hayes-Arnold line getting so much more ice time. I expected a huge jump for these sophomores. Fitzgerald seems to have gotten the message but not sure about some of the others. Hard to believe Cangelosi doesn't have a goal yet.

2) Goaltending. Billet gone combined with Demko's hip issues leaves BC very thin. Sorry, but hip issues aside, I think he is a bit overrated. A .919 college career save percentage is not much above average these days especially when playing in front of above average to elite defensive corps.

Not sure how the goaltending will play out, but I expect the scoring to at least partially come around and that we will still be talking about BC when NCAA time comes around. I mean, come on, BC was #3 in the country a week ago and I believe projected as #2 preseason in Hockey East. I don't believe all that is turned upside down in a week and a half.
          Are you trolling or are you serious? You tremendously overrate this defensive corps. Mostly because the linchpin of that corps is about as overrated as you'll ever see. We're talking John Sabo on defense.

ps - if you're trolling you're a d!ck!
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

so the uscho team stats go back to '99-'00. i have looked through to see who was the lowest scoring leading scorer for upperclassmen forwards (not sure how else to word it)...

have to go all the way back to 2001-2002. jeff giuliano had a line of 11-24-35. now, he was a good player. and that team also had voce, eaves, spina, shannon.

this BC team has SIX upperclassman forwards who right now have a combined 6-11-17 line right now. that's all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              so the uscho team stats go back to '99-'00. i have looked through to see who was the lowest scoring leading scorer for upperclassmen forwards (not sure how else to word it)...

have to go all the way back to 2001-2002. jeff giuliano had a line of 11-24-35. now, he was a good player. and that team also had voce, eaves, spina, shannon.

this BC team has SIX upperclassman forwards who right now have a combined 6-11-17 line right now. that's all you need to know.
              One subpar recruiting class among the four represented on the team is difficult to overcome; Two are almost impossible to overcome. At BU, we know this to be true.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

That post says a lot about what has happened to hockey east in the last 12 years. That team finished sixth or seventh in the league and got smoked by Maine in the hockey east quarters. Nowadays they would finish top 3 in hockey east and have a shot at the NCAA title.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Simmer down there Nicky. Tater ain't trolling. I fully expect BC to go on a second half run and be in the mix for an NCAA bid. BU's TUC needs it!

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, BU can't beat Harvard either. #Smarties

BC Hockey: Not Dead Yet
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

lost in all this, paul pearl has now beaten BC two years in a row

Comment

Lets keep it positive.
                      A no line team that is 1-3 in Hockey East is all in all pretty darn good

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

any of them going to hit double digits? as of now pace says no

how about something positive, Doherty stands at a +10 through 9 games. Remember when we moved people out of position and he sat up in the stands?

Comment

yep, love watching doherty. not the biggest/strongest/fastest but he gets it. he cares and he makes a lot of good plays all over the ice.

Comment

seems like a great candidate for captain next year

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              Are you trolling or are you serious? You tremendously overrate this defensive corps. Mostly because the linchpin of that corps is about as overrated as you'll ever see. We're talking John Sabo on defense.

ps - if you're trolling you're a d!ck!
                              Not trolling. The BC defensemen are a pretty heralded bunch, aren't they. A few 1st and 2nd rounders if memory serves. I even heard someone say that this group of D-men may be the best on paper during this current BC run. Though that may have been a tweet from the Kid so I will take that with a grain of salt. I assume by linchpin you mean Matheson?

Also, not trolling about BC getting it back together. I fully expect them to be in the mix at the season's end. Like I said, we've seen this movie before.

Comment

From this observer, the prowess of Gaudreau, Arnold, Hayes (plus Kreider, Mullane, Whitney years before) masked the limitations and dependencies on the current group of upperclassmen forwards. They're mostly serviceable role players who are now being thrust into larger roles that they may not match up favorably against in some cases. Saw it happen with BU last year, albeit to greater extent. BC needs more than just Fitzgerald to make that leap; Tuch and Sanford also have to contribute significantly on offense to lessen the load on the Soph forwards.

On D, I suspect Santini's injury threw off the D pairings quite a bit. In the BU game I barely saw Jeke out there. Playing 5 D regularly will catch up to the team at some point or another. Having Colin Sullivan around right now certainly couldn't hurt...

Comment

Working...
                                X