X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Season 2014 - 2015 Thread: PART I

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
    Please show me where this is stacked? 4 or 5 of these are Atlantic hockey at best. The NTDP and NHL draft pick thing thing is a joke, start looking farther than the end of the nose for recruits. Get kids that can really play hard nosed D1 hockey and get away from the hype players. this list is average at best.

2015-16 Birdsall, Chris G 1996 Wood, Miles LW 1995
    Shero, Chris LW 1995
    Brown, Christopher C 1996
    Dudek, Joey C 1996
    Bracco, Jeremy RW 1997
    2016-17 Fitzgerald, Casey RD 1997 White, Colin RW 1997
    Moore, Connor RD 1997 Cotton, David C 1997
    Walker, Zach RW 1998
    McPhee, Graham LW 1998
    2017-18 McInnis, Luke LD 1998 Graham, Monte C/RW 1998
    2018-19 Tortora, Jacob LW 1999
    Walsh, TJ C 2000
    You have a 14 and 15 year old already committed. That alone may be the problem if you want kids that can really play hard nosed D1 hockey. Let the kids develop some and don't worry about running 20 18 year olds out there every night. Find a balance of late bloomers with the blue chips.

Comment

You guys will be good it'll just take till the end of the year. Young team and you lost your only real scoring threats from last year
      Quinnipiac University '15
      ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
      ECAC Championship: 2016
      NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
      NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
      Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
        You have a 14 and 15 year old already committed. That alone may be the problem if you want kids that can really play hard nosed D1 hockey. Let the kids develop some and don't worry about running 20 18 year olds out there every night. Find a balance of late bloomers with the blue chips.
        Totally agree, until BC figures out that they could essentially draw uncommitted recruits today ( meaning kids that are 19,20,21 for next year) that would far out perform the current crop of recruits they will just be an average team. If they stick with the current process with these young kids, it will be years before they catch up if ever. Beatable by everyone. Not to pile on, but look at the UCONN roster. BCHL, EHL, NAHL Prep, USHL. WOW, no NTDP and 1 draft pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
          Totally agree, until BC figures out that they could essentially draw uncommitted recruits today ( meaning kids that are 19,20,21 for next year) that would far out perform the current crop of recruits they will just be an average team. If they stick with the current process with these young kids, it will be years before they catch up if ever. Beatable by everyone. Not to pile on, but look at the UCONN roster. BCHL, EHL, NAHL Prep, USHL. WOW, no NTDP and 1 draft pick.
          Unsolicited comments from an outside, but not disinterested, observer.

The BC hockey staff has been threading a very narrow needle for many years. They've had the most sustained stretch of excellence in the modern era of college hockey (I started following the game in 1968, so the modern era starts at that point.) Obviously, the foundation was recruiting. JY developed a blueprint for the style of hockey he wanted his team to play, and he, and his staff, found the players to execute the plan to the greatest degree imaginable. Incredibly, after his initial period of success, BC actually improved the product to the point that they won three NC's over 5 seasons.

Off the top of my head, during this time period, BU, UNH, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota and Denver have all had terrific teams at one point or another. All of them slipped back to varying degrees. What's noteworthy isn't that BC's recruiting success has dipped somewhat over the past 2 or 3 seasons; it's remarkable that it lasted as long as it did. As somewhat mentioned below, BC is feeling the effects of 2 weak classes, by BC standards. Well, no one can roll the dice, which all recruiting is to some degree, without coming up snake-eyes at some point.

Someone else mentioned the recruiting of 14 and 15 year olds. Does anyone feel that this aspect of recruiting has had an adverse effect upon BC's performance? Perhaps the 3 to 4 year gap between commitment and actually playing college hockey may mean that the player you recruited isn't the same player you have on your roster, as compared to his competitors. The kid may have been precocious physically, or other kids may have caught up to him as they've matured. We'll see how all the young guys BU's recruiting turn out.
          Last edited by buoldtimer; 11-06-2014, 02:55 PM.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Great discussion .... interesting observation from the current Maine (Former Yale) Coach
            “We take it one game at a time,” Gendron says. “And truth be told, there was a time in college hockey where there were certain teams that were always going to win, and there were certain other teams that weren't. From year to year there were basically the same results. Occasionally, there were a few teams that got up a little higher than they should and a couple teams that got down a little lower than you’d expect. “It’s not like that in college hockey anymore. It’s parity. Everybody’s good. It’s hard to win. I don’t care who you are, it’s hard to win. “For us, we’re going to take ‘em one at a time. We respect all; we fear none.” Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2014/11/06/work...#ixzz3IJKPIHyo
            Its not that BC is slipping. They are still the benchmark and gold standard for excellence in College Hockey. Its that College Hockey is becoming much more competitive.
            This is born out looking at the ECAC recent record in the NCAA's. Its not just that the ECAC is becoming more competitive, so is the AHA.
            Year ECAC
            2000 1-2
            2001 0-1
            2002 0-1
            2003 2-2
            2004 1-3
            2005 1-3
            2006 1-2
            2007 0-2
            2008 1-2
            2009 1-3
            2010 1-2
            2011 1-3
            2012 3-2 F4 (1)
            2013 8-2 F4 (2)
            2014 4-2 F4 (1)
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

i think you guys are reading way too much into it

Comment

• Carmine, you brought a tear to mookie's eye

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                Great discussion .... interesting observation from the current Maine (Former Yale) Coach
                “We take it one game at a time,” Gendron says. “And truth be told, there was a time in college hockey where there were certain teams that were always going to win, and there were certain other teams that weren't. From year to year there were basically the same results. Occasionally, there were a few teams that got up a little higher than they should and a couple teams that got down a little lower than you’d expect. “It’s not like that in college hockey anymore. It’s parity. Everybody’s good. It’s hard to win. I don’t care who you are, it’s hard to win. “For us, we’re going to take ‘em one at a time. We respect all; we fear none.”
                WRONG
                northeastern isn't good
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  so..... y'all excited about driving down to hartford on wednesday to introduce uconn to hockey east
                  How was the ride back?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Recruiting. For two recruiting cycles the staff brought in Linell, Spiro, Straight, Sit, Smith, Silk, McMullen at forward and got a last minute gift of a lifetime in Johnny Gaudreau. Gift. Of. A. Lifetime. Again, not honking on the kids, they are probably legitimately doing their best. I like them (I know you parents get antsy). But this is not what BC hockey recruiting should look like. Keep in mind this was before Quinn showed up at BU and started destroying York. And Cav was still around to recruit these classes. Is there a legitimate explanation for this? One player, fine. Two, ok. Two entire classes will basically set you back 4 years until you can graduate them all. We're just getting underway in Year 3. Keep that in mind. Still a long way to get out of this hole and HOPE the busts stop and the recruiting is on target for future classes. In the meantime that is a huge window of opportunity for other programs (hi BU) to flip everything.
                    thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by kevin donnelly View Post
                      How was the ride back?
                      **** if I know. Mookie is on hilton head golfing
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

claver is spot on. BC lost to holy cross at home last year and that didn't mean a thing in the end. going crazy after losing to uconn is stupid. still a very good defensive team with very good goaltender. just have to see who steps forward on offense. up to the sophomores and freshmen. not ideal but it is what it is.

not sure what ronnieb is smoking but with fitzgerald, tuch, sanford...white, bracco, wood. future is plenty bright. the problem is with the current junior and senior classes. it's that simple. as buoldtimer said, even the greatest coach is going to miss from time to time.

Comment

Every BC NC team has had hiccups in their regular season. Hell, the 2001 NC team lost to a bad Merrimack team 6-3 in January. I'll never forget it... I was pizzed.

Cav recruited BC's jr and sr classes. It's a conspiracy... knew he was heading to UConn so he messed with the Eagles big time. I know how the young crowd loves a good conspiracy theory, so there you go.

Oh, and by the way... Tom Brady's skills have eroded beyond high school QB level and the Pats are going nowhere. Just like BC. Sucks to be us.

That all being said... BC4, BU2
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

oh and i'm not saying this is a sure fire FF team. just saying that freaking out after one game when this coach had them in the FF last year...come on.

Comment

Especially considering BC is a Catholic school, will there be some sort of ceremony pregame to honor having one who can walk on water among us tonight?

Looking forward to the game and seeing Him.

Comment

can you imagine the circle jerk from the fanboys should eichel score??? heck, maybe all it takes is his name to be announced. watch out for rogie and agganis pulling a pee wee hermon up in the nosebleeds

Comment

Working...
                                X