• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Season 2014 - 2015 Thread: PART I

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Cavs beats Jerry, 1-0. Final.

Congrats Cavs.
    absolutely, how can you not be happy for Coach Cav and Evan Richardson. I have to say, and do so with a straight face, I was not surprised with this outcome.

Comment

no line team

Comment

Congrats UConn on the 1st Hockey East Game, the crowd, the facility, and of course the win. This us HUGE fir college hockey, UConn and the entire State of CT!! Congrats Coach Cav :-)

Comment

Congrats to Cav

Same issues we've beaten to death already in the young season.

Comment

wow, least one group of Huskies getting it done. 8K fans on a Wednesday..!
            ..nice job.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I'm kind of pleasantly surprised that the knee jerk reactions were put on hold last night from the BC crowd. Now that we could all sleep on it, let's take a step back, recap what's been happening lately with this program and maybe look ahead. This was at face value a meaningless game in November and if any program can point to the fact that October through February is fairly meaningless it's BC (as long as you win your fair share to get yourself in the NCAAs, which should be shooting fish in a barrel for a program like BC). But really the result last night is a symptom of bigger issues.

Since the 2012 title, we've had numerous red flags popping up like crazy and some big changes to the program and other programs. Last night's loss was undoubtedly the worst loss in the history of this hockey program. Not necessarily in order:

-Jerry had his eye problems. His eye is ok now supposedly. But he doesn't seem to be the same.
              -Blasted by Union in the first round. A rare first round loss and a beating at that. AWFUL team that year.
              -Cav left. Uh oh.
              -Mike Ayers comes in. How do we feel about him? Good hire? Bad hire?
              -Logue retires.
              -Marty McInnis joins the staff.
              -Parker retires and BU hires Quinn. Uh oh the party is over
              -Loss to Holy Cross.
              -Another loss to Union (semi-blasted).
              -Milano douchie.
              -Loss to Uconn.

In the previous 10+ years we saw almost no changes. Paluch left and was replaced by Brown and things just kept rolling. Parker was still there running his program into the ground. Everything was great.

In the midst of all of this, we saw bizarre personnel decisions. Recruit Sullivan from another school, cut him so you can put Linell on defense. What? Put Linell on a line with JG and promptly ruin the 2013 season and the 2013 Hobey for JG. Keeping Spiro locked up. Hesitating to insert Doherty in a similar fashion to Spiro. Richardson being stuck in the stands. But... Straight plays. Sit plays. Linell plays. To many of us, it would seem superior players were/are struggling to get ice time while certain guys play almost every game. I'm not knocking the kids, I just don't believe the best players were put out there. The lineups for the past 2+ seasons were... I don't know how to even accurately describe it. Infuriating.

Recruiting. For two recruiting cycles the staff brought in Linell, Spiro, Straight, Sit, Smith, Silk, McMullen at forward and got a last minute gift of a lifetime in Johnny Gaudreau. Gift. Of. A. Lifetime. Again, not honking on the kids, they are probably legitimately doing their best. I like them (I know you parents get antsy). But this is not what BC hockey recruiting should look like. Keep in mind this was before Quinn showed up at BU and started destroying York. And Cav was still around to recruit these classes. Is there a legitimate explanation for this? One player, fine. Two, ok. Two entire classes will basically set you back 4 years until you can graduate them all. We're just getting underway in Year 3. Keep that in mind. Still a long way to get out of this hole and HOPE the busts stop and the recruiting is on target for future classes. In the meantime that is a huge window of opportunity for other programs (hi BU) to flip everything.

Future: How do we feel about this coaching staff right now? How long does JY have left? Brown's future as HC? Cav coming back? How do we feel about the development of players? Future recruiting? Will Fitzgerald stop taking critical penalties? Is Cangelosi going to be a bust? Is the Golden Age of BC hockey over? (hint: the answer is yes)

Reality: Fix the PP and BC is probably back to being a good team and with some luck can do some damage. Not going to be NC caliber for a while IMO. Just need some time to get through this now that the table is set this way.
              Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 11-06-2014, 08:59 AM.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You guys out of your mind? Letting Uconn win? Did Jerwee play the donut hole or something? Baffling
                sure why not

Comment

Nice post Nick.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Recruiting. For two recruiting cycles the staff brought in Linell, Spiro, Straight, Sit, Smith, Silk, McMullen at forward and got a last minute gift of a lifetime in Johnny Gaudreau. .
                    Were some these kids considered top-flight prospects when they were recruited and just didn't develop further before they arrived at BC? Even before Gaudreau fell into BC's lap, I don't recall hearing any complaints about BC recruiting during the timeframe these kids committed.

Comment

Is the Golden Age of BC hockey over? (hint: the answer is yes)
                      Don't believe it for a second. 1) They are still going to be a very good team this year and 2) The next couple recruiting classes are stacked and were stacked even before Quinn came onboard.

Comment

Lost in the UNTHINKABLE trap game loss to UConn... line changes Wednesday night....

Straight-Gilmour-Calnan
                        Sanford-Fitzgerald-Tuch
                        Smith-Cangelosi-Silk
                        Spiro-Sit-Linell

McCoshen-Hanifin
                        Savage-Matheson
                        Jeke-Doherty

Demko
                        Barone

OK... I'd like to see Straight and Spiro switch and see what happens.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          Lost in the UNTHINKABLE trap game loss to UConn... line changes Wednesday night....

Straight-Gilmour-Calnan
                          Sanford-Fitzgerald-Tuch
                          Smith-Cangelosi-Silk
                          Spiro-Sit-Linell

McCoshen-Hanifin
                          Savage-Matheson
                          Jeke-Doherty

Demko
                          Barone

OK... I'd like to see Straight and Spiro switch and see what happens.
                          Random non-sensical observation -- wow, you guys have a lot of players whose last name begins with S.

Comment

Future: How do we feel about this coaching staff right now? How long does JY have left? B
                            JY has as long as he want's... that said he getting older, his rummy partner retired and his team is going down hill the same way JaPa's did. Two years at best and he's collecting Social Secruity. He saw how crazy Parker got at the end and probably wants to retire before he completely loses his mind and starts randomly kicking kids out of the program for things like studying, making rap videos, and having sex in the penalty box. Oops that kid didn't get booted...
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                              Don't believe it for a second. 1) They are still going to be a very good team this year and 2) The next couple recruiting classes are stacked and were stacked even before Quinn came onboard.
                              Please show me where this is stacked? 4 or 5 of these are Atlantic hockey at best. The NTDP and NHL draft pick thing thing is a joke, start looking farther than the end of the nose for recruits. Get kids that can really play hard nosed D1 hockey and get away from the hype players. this list is average at best.

2015-16 Birdsall, Chris G 1996 Wood, Miles LW 1995
                              Shero, Chris LW 1995
                              Brown, Christopher C 1996
                              Dudek, Joey C 1996
                              Bracco, Jeremy RW 1997
                              2016-17 Fitzgerald, Casey RD 1997 White, Colin RW 1997
                              Moore, Connor RD 1997 Cotton, David C 1997
                              Walker, Zach RW 1998
                              McPhee, Graham LW 1998
                              2017-18 McInnis, Luke LD 1998 Graham, Monte C/RW 1998
                              2018-19 Tortora, Jacob LW 1999
                              Walsh, TJ C 2000

Comment

I'm kind of pleasantly surprised that the knee jerk reactions were put on hold last night from the BC crowd. Now that we could all sleep on it, let's take a step back, recap what's been happening lately with this program and maybe look ahead. This was at face value a meaningless game in November and if any program can point to the fact that October through February is fairly meaningless it's BC (as long as you win your fair share to get yourself in the NCAAs, which should be shooting fish in a barrel for a program like BC). But really the result last night is a symptom of bigger issues.

Since the 2012 title, we've had numerous red flags popping up like crazy and some big changes to the program and other programs. Last night's loss was undoubtedly the worst loss in the history of this hockey program. Not necessarily in order:

-Jerry had his eye problems. His eye is ok now supposedly. But he doesn't seem to be the same.
                                -Blasted by Union in the first round. A rare first round loss and a beating at that. AWFUL team that year.
                                -Cav left. Uh oh.
                                -Mike Ayers comes in. How do we feel about him? Good hire? Bad hire?
                                -Logue retires.
                                -Marty McInnis joins the staff.
                                -Parker retires and BU hires Quinn. Uh oh the party is over
                                -Loss to Holy Cross.
                                -Another loss to Union (semi-blasted).
                                -Milano douchie.
                                -Loss to Uconn.

In the previous 10+ years we saw almost no changes. Paluch left and was replaced by Brown and things just kept rolling. Parker was still there running his program into the ground. Everything was great.

In the midst of all of this, we saw bizarre personnel decisions. Recruit Sullivan from another school, cut him so you can put Linell on defense. What? Put Linell on a line with JG and promptly ruin the 2013 season and the 2013 Hobey for JG. Keeping Spiro locked up. Hesitating to insert Doherty in a similar fashion to Spiro. Richardson being stuck in the stands. But... Straight plays. Sit plays. Linell plays. To many of us, it would seem superior players were/are struggling to get ice time while certain guys play almost every game. I'm not knocking the kids, I just don't believe the best players were put out there. The lineups for the past 2+ seasons were... I don't know how to even accurately describe it. Infuriating.

Recruiting. For two recruiting cycles the staff brought in Linell, Spiro, Straight, Sit, Smith, Silk, McMullen at forward and got a last minute gift of a lifetime in Johnny Gaudreau. Gift. Of. A. Lifetime. Again, not honking on the kids, they are probably legitimately doing their best. I like them (I know you parents get antsy). But this is not what BC hockey recruiting should look like. Keep in mind this was before Quinn showed up at BU and started destroying York. And Cav was still around to recruit these classes. Is there a legitimate explanation for this? One player, fine. Two, ok. Two entire classes will basically set you back 4 years until you can graduate them all. We're just getting underway in Year 3. Keep that in mind. Still a long way to get out of this hole and HOPE the busts stop and the recruiting is on target for future classes. In the meantime that is a huge window of opportunity for other programs (hi BU) to flip everything.

Future: How do we feel about this coaching staff right now? How long does JY have left? Brown's future as HC? Cav coming back? How do we feel about the development of players? Future recruiting? Will Fitzgerald stop taking critical penalties? Is Cangelosi going to be a bust? Is the Golden Age of BC hockey over? (hint: the answer is yes)

Reality: Fix the PP and BC is probably back to being a good team and with some luck can do some damage. Not going to be NC caliber for a while IMO. Just need some time to get through this now that the table is set this way.
                                As I said, I thought this one had trap game written all over it + run into a hot goalie = not jumping off the Tobin.

To be honest I don't think the problems run that deep. We all know what they are. Again it's not the kids fault but there's two classes of F that provide nothing offensively. I know people might get offended by that and it's not the kids fault but anyone who has watched the team over the past couple of years knows it. Last year we all saw what happened down the stretch, esp in the ND series. The difference between last year's team and this year's team is that last year they were on the 4th line or in suits, now it's half of the 12 forwards that dress every night.

Would it be great if some of them stepped up? Sure but after 2+ and 3+ years you pretty much know what you have.

I don't think of this as a recruiting issue on the whole. Name a time BC was more talented from the blue line & back.

Re the lineups it's something we've been harping on for a couple of years now. Jerry & crew have forgotten more hockey today than I know but unless there is something going on we can't see, based solely on the on ice product the decisions range from baffling (Spiro in the stands) to absolutely infuriating (Doherty in the stands).

As you said this team isn't too far away from doing damage, especially in conference. The powerplay has started out slow the past couple of years and I thought looked pretty good / ok last night + it is an INCREDIBLY young team, where the youth is being put in huge spots every night.

I said on another board, in your head list the best players on the team. Let me know when you get to the best upperclassman, then keep going and let me know when you get to the 2nd best.

Comment

Working...
                                X