• Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2014-15 season

Thank you umichjim.
    Why did Spencer Hyman leave?

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
      Spencer is now an assistant coach for the Hamilton Red Wings.
      He is also attending Ryerson college which is in Toronto, the Hyman's home town. It was simply a numbers game on the blue line and as hard a worker Spence was, he wasn't going to get ice time at Michigan at the D1 level.

Comment

Ok, all, it's game night.

Home Opener with a great and historic team at Yost. (have I mentioned how much I like the B1G, Hockey East Challenge? I do. A lot)

Hope to see a full house welcoming UNH back to Yost.

We know Selman will not play- he's got a broken hand. (dang, those games against the Canadians can be rough)

But I've not heard news about the others who sat. Copp was supposed to be able to skate w/o contact a week ago- could he be fine for this weekend? Werenski's looked bad on ice, but he looked ok back off ice. What team will we finally get to see this weekend?

They looked good, but a bit ragged, against Ferris. And seemed to address some of the issues in the exhibition games.

streaker, and umichjim- will we see you this weekend?

Comment

I've been so busy making plans for next weekend (going to Lowell and BU) that I haven't had much time to get excited about this weekend.

Obviously it's a bit early in the season to know much about either team. I'm just hoping we can survive the first 2 minutes of each period without giving up goals. The offense looked good in the exhibition games I saw. Defense is still questionable, especially when it comes to some of the forwards remembering to play defense.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

That was brutal.

Pretty much dominate the first, and then let in a goal right at the end.

And all of a sudden the ice totally tilts the other direction.

UNH played a heck of a game, but that third period was mostly lifeless for our team. Not until the end, when our team kind of got chippy did we finally score. Ugh.

And tomorrow is parent's night- a game that we historically struggle with.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              We know Selman will not play- he's got a broken hand. (dang, those games against the Canadians can be rough)

GENERALLY the Canadian teams USUALLY have a few players who played Major Junior and reached the age limit so they are a few years older and more physically developed than your typical 18-21 year old playing college hockey.
              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7
              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Good change in game tonight. Racine looked really sharp, and the D was a lot better- including the forwards playing D. Not quite what Red wants (based on what we've seen in past years), but a whole lot better.

Interesting to change the D pairings, I thought.

Comment

So do we have a goaltending controversy now?
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    He is also attending Ryerson college which is in Toronto, the Hyman's home town. It was simply a numbers game on the blue line and as hard a worker Spence was, he wasn't going to get ice time at Michigan at the D1 level.
                    I guess it makes you wonder why they let him come in the first place. He was not in the top 20 D when he was playing in Ontario, according to people around that league. If he is happy that is all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                      I guess it makes you wonder why they let him come in the first place. He was not in the top 20 D when he was playing in Ontario, according to people around that league. If he is happy that is all that matters.
                      Package deal with his brother, who was a coveted recruit (BU) in the spring of 2011 after Zach moved on from Princeton once the Coach left.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        That was brutal.

Pretty much dominate the first, and then let in a goal right at the end.

And all of a sudden the ice totally tilts the other direction.
                        Yeah, and that first one should not have been a goal. Play the whistle should have blown for a dead puck but didn't.

The fourth goal also should not have been a goal. The puck never did cross the line. But the on ice ruling was a goal and they did not see enough to overturn the call. The replays on the socreboard did not have any where the puck went across.

That said it still would have been 3-1 and STILL a loss, just not as dominant a one as the score would imply.
                        Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7
                        Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                          Package deal with his brother, who was a coveted recruit (BU) in the spring of 2011 after Zach moved on from Princeton once the Coach left.
                          Gotya. I hate those package deals. Not fair to the surplus brother, not fair to the players and not fair to the fans. Oh well. This one sorted itself out I guess. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                            Yeah, and that first one should not have been a goal. Play the whistle should have blown for a dead puck but didn't.

Just went to the MGOBLUE site to see the replay. And gotta disagree. The puck was never really controlled and covered by Zach. If there was a whistle, it would have been a fast one.

Zach kind of had it covered, but Lohan took it out, and from there, it went back to Zach, who turned to uncover the puck. Then they scored. It was a clean goal.

As much as it would be nice to think that we didn't get dominated that badly, I still thought we did. Painful to watch. Apparently the players thought so, too- Copp was really really mad for most of the night even though there were family friends in town. (according to his grandparents).

Comment

Anyone coming east for the weekend? Any local Wolverine fans going to be going?

A lot of us hang out at Beer Works, just down the street from the arena. It'd be nice to meet some of you folks.
                              Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                              Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                              "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                              KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                                Anyone coming east for the weekend? Any local Wolverine fans going to be going?

A lot of us hang out at Beer Works, just down the street from the arena. It'd be nice to meet some of you folks.

wT mentioned that she was in the thread that one of the MSU guys started of both of us coming to Mass.

Comment

Working...
                                X