Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2014-15 season

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    A little early but does anyone know of any TV coverage for next Saturday?
    Nothing according to the USCHO TV schedule. Fortunately, I do not need to look for it on TV because I will be traveling out to Beantown to see the game. Anyone else making the trip?
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
      Nothing according to the USCHO TV schedule. Fortunately, I do not need to look for it on TV because I will be traveling out to Beantown to see the game. Anyone else making the trip?
      Sure, rub it in....
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

FYI...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._plans_for.php

The Big Ten announced plans today for a hockey-basketball doubleheader at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The initial agreement runs from 2016-2019.

The first games will take place Jan. 30, 2016, and feature Michigan vs. Penn State in an afternoon hockey game, followed by a basketball game in the evening.

The Big Ten had previously reached agreement to hold its basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden in 2018, and has expanded its reach in recent years towards the Northeast with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland into the conference.

"This pairing is a natural fit for us as we continue to extend our brand and live in two regions of the country," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. "The Garden has been the site of countless iconic moments throughout history, and we look forward to showcasing some of the best basketball and hockey programs in the country through this partnership."

Penn State and Michigan have both recently played at The Garden, both against Cornell over Thanksgiving weekend. Michigan played the Big Red in November 2012, while Penn State just played last month.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for our program and the conference to bring great college hockey to Madison Square Garden," Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky said. "We had a great experience this past November against Cornell and we're thrilled to be a part of the first Big Ten doubleheader at MSG."

Future games will take place in either late January or early February in 2017, 2018 and 2019, against teams to be determined.

Cornell has been playing games at MSG since 2007 — the "Red Hot Hockey" series against Boston University, every other year. In 2012, it started scheduling games against teams other than BU, in the off years. Most of those years have sold out.

Last season, Harvard and Yale played a game at MSG, and will do so again this season, Jan. 10. Attendance for that game was 15,524.
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          Maybe I've become a curmudgeon, but I'm of the opinion that if you're the best you don't need to sell yourself and brag about how great you are or were. Your body of work should speak for itself and word of mouth will market for you.
          AMEN!
          Count me as one also.
          Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
          Row 1
          Seats 6 & 7
          Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

FYI...

The Big Ten announced plans today for a hockey-basketball doubleheader at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The initial agreement runs from 2016-2019.

The first games will take place Jan. 30, 2016, and feature Michigan vs. Penn State in an afternoon hockey game, followed by a basketball game in the evening.

The Big Ten had previously reached agreement to hold its basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden in 2018, and has expanded its reach in recent years towards the Northeast with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland into the conference.

"This pairing is a natural fit for us as we continue to extend our brand and live in two regions of the country," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. "The Garden has been the site of countless iconic moments throughout history, and we look forward to showcasing some of the best basketball and hockey programs in the country through this partnership."

Penn State and Michigan have both recently played at The Garden, both against Cornell over Thanksgiving weekend. Michigan played the Big Red in November 2012, while Penn State just played last month.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for our program and the conference to bring great college hockey to Madison Square Garden," Penn State coach Guy Gadowsky said. "We had a great experience this past November against Cornell and we're thrilled to be a part of the first Big Ten doubleheader at MSG."

Future games will take place in either late January or early February in 2017, 2018 and 2019, against teams to be determined.

Cornell has been playing games at MSG since 2007 — the "Red Hot Hockey" series against Boston University, every other year. In 2012, it started scheduling games against teams other than BU, in the off years. Most of those years have sold out.

Last season, Harvard and Yale played a game at MSG, and will do so again this season, Jan. 10. Attendance for that game was 15,524.
            Here is the official B1G announcement:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskb...120914aab.html
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Is Friday's game teddy bear toss?
              The last home game before Christmas always is.

OMG! Did I say CHRISTMAS? I forgot. THIS is MICHIGAN!
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7

Comment

info from the BC website:

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-hoc...121014aac.html
                Row 1
                Seats 6 & 7

Comment

FYI...

The Big Ten announced plans today for a hockey-basketball doubleheader at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The initial agreement runs from 2016-2019...
                  *yawn*
                  I already saw Michigan bouncy ball and hockey at MSG in 2012. Ok, maybe it wasn't on the same day (we went up for the hockey game vs. Cornell and realized hoops was playing the day before), but it's been done before.

I wonder if this will work out the way the B1G hopes. There is overlap of fans of different sports, but I don't know how much. For any non locals, are they going to want to spend the whole day watching sports when there's all of NYC to explore? Are the locals going to hear about it, care, and attend more than just the one sport they are interested in?

The whole 'expanding our footprint East' annoys me. Maybe that's just a Merlinder talking that can't understand what the Terps are doing in the B1G Ten (11, 12, 14?)
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

The whole 'expanding our footprint East' annoys me. Maybe that's just a Merlinder talking that can't understand what the Terps are doing in the B1G Ten (11, 12, 14?)
                    Another quote from Jim Delaney “Over the next eight years, we’re out of the region twice,” he said. “Going forward, we’ll be out (east) maybe 20 percent of the time and in our ‘legacy region’ about 80 percent of the time. We want to have a conference that lives in two regions, recruits in two regions and telecasts in two regions.”

I love the corporate PR jargon of "legacy region." We got rid of "legends" and "leaders" (football) divisions only to have "legacy" pop up.

wT, I can't reply to your question, but I feel the same way you do. I loved the sign the guy you sit next to had at the OSU game. (The Team, the Team, the Team.)
                    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

What I was able to find out thus far as far as watching the game Saturday:

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      BC uses BCEagles.com/collegesportslive, it's $10 a month but it includes a ton of teams. Just make sure you cancel after you pay or it will re-up your subscription.

Comment

Another quote from Jim Delaney “Over the next eight years, we’re out of the region twice,” he said. “Going forward, we’ll be out (east) maybe 20 percent of the time and in our ‘legacy region’ about 80 percent of the time. We want to have a conference that lives in two regions, recruits in two regions and telecasts in two regions.”

I love the corporate PR jargon of "legacy region." We got rid of "legends" and "leaders" (football) divisions only to have "legacy" pop up.
                        ugh.

wT, I can't reply to your question, but I feel the same way you do. I loved the sign the guy you sit next to had at the OSU game. (The Team, the Team, the Team.)
                        I figured as much regarding the question, and respect that.

I'm glad you liked my sign. When a friend posted on Facebook the response he had from the athletic department to his e-mailed complaint about canned music, forced enthusiasm for in game ads, etc, I was inspired to make that poster. I made it in 10 minutes before I left for the game, and wasn't sure if it would be legible from the other side of the ice (that's a lot of words for one poster board). I was going to save the sign for 'The Team, The Team, The Team' promo, but my friend took it over.

As for BC, unfortunately I won't be making it out there. That's a long trip for one game. My only road trip left this season is Penn State (though I'm trying to convince my friend to go to Wisconsin with me since our last trip there was during the college hockey showcase days and I feel we didn't get the full Kohl center experience over a Thanksgiving break).

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

*yawn*

I know! They should be in Hockey East!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            I know! They should be in Hockey East!
                            No, they belong in the ACC with other college hockey powerhouses like BC, Notre Dame, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, UNC.

Arenas visited:

Comment

No, they belong in the ACC with other college hockey powerhouses like BC, Notre Dame, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, UNC.
                              The ACC has hockey?

Comment

Ugg! That was a brutal game to be at. First, the BC crowd was mostly absent. I assume they were on break or close to it. The arena was probably about 50% full. Second, there were a lot of Michigan fans there, albeit in small pockets scattered around the rink.

For the game play, Michigan looked rough in the first period. That being said, they hit the post a couple of times and missed the net a ton. I would say, for the night, they missed the net at least a dozen times. The turning point came in the first period. The teams were playing four on four. The defense pairing was Downing and Serville. Serville pinched in and could not get the puck, giving up a 2 on 1 the other way. BC scores and that was it.

After the first period, Michigan played at the worst even and looked like they were controlling play in the second. When Michigan scored to make it 3-1, it looked like we could have come back. Downing and Martin made some big hits and momentum was on our side. Unfortunately, Downing made a huge hit right in front of the BC bench, which took him out of position and BC scored to make it 4-1. An empty netter later and we have the 5-1 final score.

In this game, the only defenseman I had complete confidence in was Werenski. Downing played well defensively, but could not keep control of the puck. Copp, Compher and Larkin all had good rushes, but we could not get much offense set up in the BC zone. Actually, Selman's line probably looked the best at setting up an offense, they just couldn't bury it.

Overall, a rough weekend for us. Luckily, the seafood and sights around Beantown made it a fun trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X