Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Recruiting work for Womens College hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How does Recruiting work for Womens College hockey?

For those thinking NESCAC, here is a lengthy article on the conference admission process:
    http://bowdoinorient.com/article/9151
    Sounds like the letters of acceptance for the Classes of 2019 are in the mail. GOOD LUCK to all prospective student athletes!

My bad, article was from March 2014, so I was incorrect about letters of acceptance for the Classes of 2019. Apologies to all of you anxiously checking your mail boxes!
    Last edited by obserbear; 11-09-2014, 06:43 PM. Reason: apology

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
      For those thinking NESCAC, here is a lengthy article on the conference admission process:
      http://bowdoinorient.com/article/9151
      Sounds like the letters of acceptance for the Classes of 2019 are in the mail. GOOD LUCK to all prospective student athletes!
      Nada - letters of acceptance for early admits go out in December and for regular admits in March/April. The B and C Band NESCAC recruits should pretty much all be set by the end of this week (the application deadline for early admission). There are a few NESCAC schools waiting for D1 programs (largely Ivies) to make final decisions on a few players for which they are the backup plan.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
        Nada - letters of acceptance for early admits go out in December and for regular admits in March/April. The B and C Band NESCAC recruits should pretty much all be set by the end of this week (the application deadline for early admission). There are a few NESCAC schools waiting for D1 programs (largely Ivies) to make final decisions on a few players for which they are the backup plan.
        SAT..SAT..SAT, All the money your thinking about spending on edge work and stickhandling, spend it on SAT prep. I wish I new 8 years ago what I know now. You have your blue chip recruits and then everyone else. Obviously you have to have skill to play D-1. If your a tweener between 1 and 3, don't think for a second your going to dial up the NESCACS and grab a spot without the scores, transcripts and AP's. I think if your not having D-1 conversation's after the season ends of junior year. You need to focus on the best D-3 option and hockey should only be a part of that choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjames View Post
          SAT..SAT..SAT, All the money your thinking about spending on edge work and stickhandling, spend it on SAT prep. I wish I new 8 years ago what I know now. You have your blue chip recruits and then everyone else. Obviously you have to have skill to play D-1. If your a tweener between 1 and 3, don't think for a second your going to dial up the NESCACS and grab a spot without the scores, transcripts and AP's. I think if your not having D-1 conversation's after the season ends of junior year. You need to focus on the best D-3 option and hockey should only be a part of that choice.
          Agree. (Don't forget ACT..ACT..ACT). I would add, though, that not all kids are going to be stars in the classroom or the standarized test locations. Even with extra tutoring and spending additional time after class with teachers they still may not be exceptional students/test takers. (heaven forbid!) Just support them the best you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Tjames View Post

From what I have read, mostly on these threads, isnt the end of junior pretty late for most d-1 schools, other than maybe Ivies? Maybe I misread this and you are saying that if you haven't been talking with the D-1s by this point and have some options, you should start looking at D3 by that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
              [/B]

From what I have read, mostly on these threads, isnt the end of junior pretty late for most d-1 schools, other than maybe Ivies? Maybe I misread this and you are saying that if you haven't been talking with the D-1s by this point and have some options, you should start looking at D3 by that time?
              Though there seems to be a growing trend for ridiculously early "commitments", most players are still making their final decisions in the spring of Grade 11 through to September--once they, and the coaches, know they are going to have the grades and scores required to secure admission. As you say, Ivies are often not until the fall of Gr 12 since the Admissions needs to be directly involved in the decision-making.

That means if some D1 schools are still not showing you much interest by the end of Gr 11 (or your scores are still too low), an offer is not likely forthcoming and you should be into heavy duty contingency planning: D3, CIS, or possibly a gap year in some cases.

This is a big part of the reason investing in SAT/ACT prep--early and often-- is so critical. There are far too many cases of players having interest from schools but unable to "pull the trigger" because they didn't have the scores and grades they needed and were forced to keep writing in the fall of Gr 12. That's generally far too late. It's incredible that parents will invest many thousands in off-ice training, skills development, and fancy programs and tournaments and think nothing of all the time their kids miss school for hockey. But they penny-pinch on the academic tutoring and SAT prep programs that end up being the thing that prevents them from accessing their schools of choice. Really dumb.

Often it's actually the so-called Blue Chip players most guilty of this. They tend to miss more school than most due to national camp commitments, and they or their parents seem especially inclined to believe that their hockey talent will trump their lack of scholastic talent/preparation. Often, teams may hold back a scholarship until late in Gr 12, hoping that somehow the scores will materialize or they can pressure admissions to make an exception. For this reason (as well as career-ending injuries), it is not unheard of for players (blue chip or otherwise) to get a D1 opportunity later in Gr 12.
              Last edited by Trillium; 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I posted an article recently that might help answer a question or two on how it works to get to play college hockey, and if of interest, you can find it here... http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...dets-2014-2015

As a teaser, one poster, "shelfit", had this to say about the piece... "Great article. Every young female hockey player that is thinking about what it really takes to play college hockey and/or break into the coaching profession should read this article!"

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                  ......if some D1 schools are still not showing you much interest by the end of Gr 11 (or your scores are still too low), an offer is not likely forthcoming and you should be into heavy duty contingency planning: D3, CIS, or possibly a gap year in some cases.

This is a big part of the reason investing in SAT/ACT prep--early and often-- is so critical. There are far too many cases of players having interest from schools but unable to "pull the trigger" because they didn't have the scores and grades they needed and were forced to keep writing in the fall of Gr 12. That's generally far too late. It's incredible that parents will invest many thousands in off-ice training, skills development, and fancy programs and tournaments and think nothing of all the time their kids miss school for hockey. But they penny-pinch on the academic tutoring and SAT prep programs that end up being the thing that prevents them from accessing their schools of choice. Really dumb.
                  Exactly. A lot of students, and very good students at that, just don't test well. I've seen first hand how weekly test prep can raise the scores of those students by hundreds of points.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                    Exactly. A lot of students, and very good students at that, just don't test well. I've seen first hand how weekly test prep can raise the scores of those students by hundreds of points.
                    Not just test prep, though. Have your daughter take the SAT and/or ACT **AS MANY TIMES AS SHE CAN!!** Not only do the scores tend to go up with repeated taking (learning to take the test is part of the explanation), but many schools, including at least some of the NESCACs, do what is called "Super Scoring." That means you can take your best Math and best Verbal from the SAT and submit those scores to admissions. While fewer schools appear to Super Score the ACTs, that's also getting more common. So, if there are 5 sections of the ACT, you get to submit the BEST scores on each section to admissions. And, make sure the coach has the right numbers. A point here or there can make all the difference as the numbers get to Admissions.

Comment

Though there seems to be a growing trend for ridiculously early "commitments", most players are still making their final decisions in the spring of Grade 11 through to September--once they, and the coaches, know they are going to have the grades and scores required to secure admission. As you say, Ivies are often not until the fall of Gr 12 since the Admissions needs to be directly involved in the decision-making.

That means if some D1 schools are still not showing you much interest by the end of Gr 11 (or your scores are still too low), an offer is not likely forthcoming and you should be into heavy duty contingency planning: D3, CIS, or possibly a gap year in some cases.

Often it's actually the so-called Blue Chip players most guilty of this. They tend to miss more school than most due to national camp commitments, and they or their parents seem especially inclined to believe that their hockey talent will trump their lack of scholastic talent/preparation. Often, teams may hold back a scholarship until late in Gr 12, hoping that somehow the scores will materialize or they can pressure admissions to make an exception. For this reason (as well as career-ending injuries), it is not unheard of for players (blue chip or otherwise) to get a D1 opportunity later in Gr 12.
                      Couple of points:
                      - Highlighted piece above is old school and just not true anymore - Ivies are committing their players earlier (just like everyone else). Princeton was done last winter/spring for this year's seniors, Harvard and Yale even earlier. A later recruit can still show up (and even displace a long committed recruit as has been documented for Harvard), but it is no longer common. The coaches and players are just taking the risk in the earlier commitments that they won't be admitted and a couple fall out in admissions every year (Kendall Coyne was a notable example at Harvard).

- Totally agree on academic and test prep. I have actually had parents effectively say to me "my kid is a really good player and she'll get in anywhere based on her hockey talent regardless of her academics" and then are shocked that her 2.2 GPA from a middling public high school and 20 ACT didn't get her into an Ivy school. It is a combination of ignorance and arrogance usually - in some cases people can be educated on how wrong this is and in others they can't. I'm also shocked by how many parents are convinced that their kid is going to college for free because of hockey - way more than there are scholarships....

- Finally, totally agree on taking tests over and over for superscoring even if you're already committed. Know one girl already committed to a NESCAC school that raised her superscore ACT score 1 point in the fourth attempt on the ACT and that moved her from a C band to a B band recruit and the coach was able to get another C band player as a result. Helps you (if the commitment falls through somehow) and the coach/school.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        Couple of points:
                        - Totally agree on academic and test prep. I have actually had parents effectively say to me "my kid is a really good player and she'll get in anywhere based on her hockey talent regardless of her academics" and then are shocked that her 2.2 GPA from a middling public high school and 20 ACT didn't get her into an Ivy school. It is a combination of ignorance and arrogance usually - in some cases people can be educated on how wrong this is and in others they can't. I'm also shocked by how many parents are convinced that their kid is going to college for free because of hockey - way more than there are scholarships....

This is so true. Have you ever noticed a D3 player that was above everyone, odds are that she could not get through the NCAA Clearing. On the flip side of this, some D1 players end up on a D1 roster because of their grades. There are many factors that go into a player being recruited by any school. If you look at the schools offering D1 Women's Ice Hockey, most of them are well above average schools academically. I'm always impressed by these young ladies that can do both the school work & ice hockey at those high levels. A quote for you Assabet Lovers out there, "the 5 As of Ice Hockey are... Academics Academics Academics Academics Academics", Mr. Gray

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                          This is so true. Have you ever noticed a D3 player that was above everyone, odds are that she could not get through the NCAA Clearing. On the flip side of this, some D1 players end up on a D1 roster because of their grades. There are many factors that go into a player being recruited by any school. If you look at the schools offering D1 Women's Ice Hockey, most of them are well above average schools academically. I'm always impressed by these young ladies that can do both the school work & ice hockey at those high levels. A quote for you Assabet Lovers out there, "the 5 As of Ice Hockey are... Academics Academics Academics Academics Academics", Mr. Gray
                          Don't think that Carl has everything right, but he was always spot on about the 5 A's and he started preaching it to the girls (and their parents) when the girls were 10 or younger...which is when they need to first hear it especially given the earlier recruiting cycle. Look at the Assabet placements (and those of former Assabet players who moved to the Wizards, Spitfires, Breakers, Islanders, etc,) and you will see they are massively disproportionate to the Ivies and NESCACs and other upper echelon academic schools.

Comment

FWIW:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online...ge-hockey.html
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                              Yup AAA = All About Academics...

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                                (Don't forget ACT..ACT..ACT).
                                Love this quote in more ways than one...... ACT to take the ACT !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X