Unusual Hockey News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Hockey News

Hockey game collision results in assault conviction...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...says-1.2736176

Re: Unusual Hockey News

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Hockey game collision results in assault conviction...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...says-1.2736176
    LOL and Chara got off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Canadian fans will be ****ed
    Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

That, my friends, is a terrible article. Did anyone else notice that it quotes no one except the defense attorney? Nothing from the judge. Nothing from any of the witnesses. No citation of the testimony. Just the assertion that the whole thing was an accident and that it's terrible for hockey. Try this:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08...-lawyer-warns/

Jonathan Desjardins, a referee at the game, testified that both Mr. Casterton and MacIsaac were rushing toward the puck behind the net when the collision happened.

“What I saw, clearly saw, is [MacIsaac] jumped off the ice,” Mr. Desjardins testified. “His skates left the ice, arms in the high position, making contact with the victim.”
      The defense witnesses disagree and I have no idea what actually happened, but it's a more complicated story than the CBC piece indicates.

Comment

Going to court for a hockey hit? What a *****...Canada has the more wimps than France. Proof was the Chara hit. To think that the people living in the country where hockey was born would want a player arrested for a check is a joke. Go back and look at old film of Montreal...they were the worst. This world has officially become a joke.
        Shut down Hockey and go to curling... Wait, they would probably file a lawsuit if a curler pulled a groin...grow up you wimps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
          Going to court for a hockey hit? What a *****...Canada has the more wimps than France. Proof was the Chara hit. To think that the people living in the country where hockey was born would want a player arrested for a check is a joke. Go back and look at old film of Montreal...they were the worst. This world has officially become a joke.
          Shut down Hockey and go to curling... Wait, they would probably file a lawsuit if a curler pulled a groin...grow up you wimps.
          Well now we know how you feel. Murica!!
          ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Going to court for a hockey hit?
            When you join a non-contact league I don't think you are assuming an expectation of someone leaving their feet and delivering a blow to the head so hard that it leaves you unable to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              When you join a non-contact league I don't think you are assuming an expectation of someone leaving their feet and delivering a blow to the head so hard that it leaves you unable to work.
              nor did the u16 girl (non contact league) assume she would be cracked over the head twice by a russian...you wont see them in a court. like I said...that guy is a real pu$$y. should be a shuffle board player.

Comment

nor did the u16 girl (non contact league) assume she would be cracked over the head twice by a russian...you wont see them in a court. like I said...that guy is a real pu$$y. should be a shuffle board player.
                So, your claim is that only wimps can suffer from severe post-concussion syndrome?

Comment

Was the guy that the HC of RIT sucker-punched in a beer league game a real pu$$y as well?
                  ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

nor did the u16 girl (non contact league) assume she would be cracked over the head twice by a russian...you wont see them in a court.
                    bad analogy, it happened in Hungry between two foreigners

they don't even give justice to their own citizens much less foreigners

I assume from your posting you love watching the rough play and fighting, but I bet if you ever were on the ice you'd be crying for your team mates help every time you were on the receiving end. Assuming you can even stand on skates.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      I have taken (okay, and maybe given) some pretty hard contact in both men's league and Coed. There are some instances where a couple guys got into it, and you could tell there was some deliberate roughing, but for the most part it's all been incidental. Keep your head up and you can see it coming and brace for it if it's unavoidable 9 times out of 10. You take a risk everytime you take the ice. It's the nature of the game.

That said, it's beyond me how any rec player doesn't wear a full mask. I don't know about this guy, who lost teeth, but there are a lot of guys I play with who wear shields or no face protection. That is asking for trouble.
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        bad analogy, it happened in Hungry between two foreigners

they don't even give justice to their own citizens much less foreigners

I assume from your posting you love watching the rough play and fighting, but I bet if you ever were on the ice you'd be crying for your team mates help every time you were on the receiving end. Assuming you can even stand on skates.

So you're rationalizing the u16 because they're "foreigners"? You're really not making any sense. It's not the fact that there "was" a hit, it's that a so called "MAN" would go to court over that hit on the ice. If you think stepping onto a sheet of ice is going to be a "nice, pleasant, fun, 100% safe" experience every time, kind of like a "Utopian World on ice" you're more naïve than I thought...must be from Canada.

olay olay olay olay...olay olay

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                          You take a risk everytime you take the ice. It's the nature of the game.
                          You take a risk in just about any sport. The question becomes, if the action of one participant is found to be outside the norm for that particular sport and causes a costly injury to another, does the offending party have some responsibility? If you're golfing and somebody from the group behind you drives into your group and rearranges your face, even though you took a risk by stepping on the course, should they pay for your medical expenses? If you're playing rec-league softball and some guy smacks the catcher either on the backswing or follow through and breaks a jaw, is he responsible? We expect people to follow rules or suffer consequences when driving, maintaining property, or going through daily life. If a players thinks that he is beyond a lawsuit on the ice, then that is naive as well.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            You take a risk in just about any sport. The question becomes, if the action of one participant is found to be outside the norm for that particular sport and causes a costly injury to another, does the offending party have some responsibility? If you're golfing and somebody from the group behind you drives into your group and rearranges your face, even though you took a risk by stepping on the course, should they pay for your medical expenses? If you're playing rec-league softball and some guy smacks the catcher either on the backswing or follow through and breaks a jaw, is he responsible? We expect people to follow rules or suffer consequences when driving, maintaining property, or going through daily life. If a players thinks that he is beyond a lawsuit on the ice, then that is naive as well.
                            Spoken like a true ambulance chaser. Are you saying that if a batter hits a catcher and brakes his jaw on a backswing he is responsible? Man, you're killing me. The catcher has to take responsibility for his position. Is he going to bring a batter to court if the batter foul tips one off the jewels? Next you're going to tell me that if you slip on ice on your own walkway you'll be in court with a lawsuit against yourself. Whatever happened to logical thinking?

Comment

Spoken like a true ambulance chaser. Are you saying that if a batter hits a catcher and brakes his jaw on a backswing he is responsible? Man, you're killing me. ... Whatever happened to logical thinking?
                              You tell me. I didn't say I personally was out to sue anybody; that was entirely your brand of "logic." I worked with a guy who was a batter in that scenario, although I must confess I don't know what would be involved in your "brakes his jaw" case. My co-worker was sued. The two guys had a testosterone moment that led up to the contact, I wasn't there so I can't say who was more at fault, but my point is that the lawsuits are going to happen. Not saying that I'm going to file them, but you shouldn't assume that because you are on the field of play, the court, or the ice, that you are safe from litigation, because it has become a huge part of our society.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X