Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unusual Hockey News

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    You tell me. I didn't say I personally was out to sue anybody; that was entirely your brand of "logic." I worked with a guy who was a batter in that scenario, although I must confess I don't know what would be involved in your "brakes his jaw" case. My co-worker was sued. The two guys had a testosterone moment that led up to the contact, I wasn't there so I can't say who was more at fault, but my point is that the lawsuits are going to happen. Not saying that I'm going to file them, but you shouldn't assume that because you are on the field of play, the court, or the ice, that you are safe from litigation, because it has become a huge part of our society.

society...hit it on the head there. everyone looking for something for nothing. thank the dear leader for that

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
      society...hit it on the head there. everyone looking for something for nothing. thank the dear leader for that
      In the case above, it's not something for nothing. The injured party's annual income went from over $80,000 per year to about $12,000 per year due to an inability to work.

Is there any point at which you think someone could do something on the ice that would qualify as a tort or as a criminal act? Is it literally anything goes in your world?

Comment

let's face it, men's hockey is the only North American sport where fighting is tolerated, and intentionally trying to injure your opponent is "part" of the game. I really don't care what they do in Canada, they can knock each others heads off, throw them in jail, fine them... just keep it north of the border and in the pros, which I could care less about either.

Comment

Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Here's what it boils down to:

A) Do you now charge everyone who makes a clearly intentional attempt to injure another athlete on the court/ice/field/whatever with aggravated assault? And,

B) Why is someone who makes a clearly intentional attempt to injure another athlete never charged with aggravated assault?

Not saying which one I agree with, but it's a tough debate.

EDIT: Not saying that the guy in the rec league was 100% an "intentional intent to injure" or not; I have not a clue.

Teddy, I love that you're an addition to the BC family but you're making discourse a bit difficult. Having said that, general forum guidelines typically start with "just ignore pokechecker, he enters threads to try and get people riled up and it's not worth it."
            Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Here's what it boils down to:

A) Do you now charge everyone who makes a clearly intentional attempt to injure another athlete on the court/ice/field/whatever with aggravated assault? And,

B) Why is someone who makes a clearly intentional attempt to injure another athlete never charged with aggravated assault?
              C) Are the rules for a non-contact rec league different from the NHL or even Division 1 women's game? Do people assume the same level of risk no matter what form of hockey they play? My personal take on that is that the threshold for what constitutes a crime or a tort should be much lower in the sort of league in which MacIsaac and Casterton were playing. It ought to be possible to just play hockey for fun without worrying that someone is going to deliberately drill you in the head.

Not saying that the guy in the rec league was 100% an "intentional intent to injure" or not; I have not a clue.
              While I don't personally, either, an actual trial was held to decide that question and either a judge or a jury (I haven't been able to find whether or not it was a jury trial) listened to testimony from both sides and concluded that it was. Note that I'm not saying that these determinations are always correct but we do have more than just the two sides claiming mutually exclusive things.

Comment

The hockey season can't come soon enough!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  My personal take on that is that the threshold for what constitutes a crime or a tort should be much lower in the sort of league in which MacIsaac and Casterton were playing. It ought to be possible to just play hockey for fun without worrying that someone is going to deliberately drill you in the head.
                  Yeah I can get behind this.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    The hockey season can't come soon enough!
                    Similarly, I can also get behind this!

Comment

Originally posted by tonythetiger20 View Post
                      here's what it boils down to:

A) do you now charge everyone who makes a clearly intentional attempt to injure another athlete on the court/ice/field/whatever with aggravated assault? And,

b) why is someone who makes a clearly intentional attempt to injure another athlete never charged with aggravated assault?

Not saying which one i agree with, but it's a tough debate.

edit: Not saying that the guy in the rec league was 100% an "intentional intent to injure" or not; i have not a clue.

teddy, i love that you're an addition to the bc family but you're making discourse a bit difficult. Having said that, general forum guidelines typically start with "just ignore pokechecker, he enters threads to try and get people riled up and it's not worth it."
                      thanks for the heads up. I'll ingnore him/her

Comment

thanks for the heads up. I'll ingnore him/her
                        since I have doubts you can do it properly, here you go:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

now if only TTT would use his own advice, kinda ironic, he tells everybody to ignore me while he himself cannot resist reading and responding to my posts, but you would expect that from someone like him

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          since I have doubts you can do it properly, here you go:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

now if only TTT would use his own advice, kinda ironic, he tells everybody to ignore me while he himself cannot resist reading and responding to my posts, but you would expect that from someone like him
                          no need, I can enjoy your posts without responding. hopefully

Comment

Update on the most (in)famous hockey induced assault case...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...saga-1.2741279

Comment

Working...
                            X