X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWHL News

Enter the Dragon...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/dr...hockey-league/

Forgot to mention for US fans..."Dragon's Den"...think "Shark Tank"...which is what they named the US version of the tv program when they branched out a few years ago in order to capitalize and expand on the tremendous success the show has had in Canada.

It would be difficult to imagine her association with the CWHL as being negative for the league.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM.

Re: CWHL News

The sooner they proceed in this direction and distance themselves with the idiots that run the OWHA, the better the league will be.

Comment

On a related note, any news about the draft? Last year was great from the perspective of a fan: there was a page with registered players, the draft was done live (although given the residence requirements it's not clear how competitive the choices actually are), the Blades had a pre-season party... this year all I know is the draft deadline was this Tuesday and signing day is next Tuesday. Were the pickings slimmer all round this year?

Comment

Draft tracker is here:

http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl/2014-cw.../draft-tracker

List of prospects going in is here:

http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl/2014-cw...raft-prospects

Odd that Taylor Wasylk was on the prospects list but not drafted. I hope her playing days aren't over, she was always fun to watch (and her Eagles line with Kate Leary and Dana Trivigno, first line talent with fourth line 'tude, produced some great moments).

As usual, the Blades benefit from being the only US team and snap up Jenny Potter (!), Monique Lamoreaux, Brianna Decker. But Calgary maybe have more depth: their top five are Sarah Davis, Hayleigh Cudmore, Louise Warren, Jessica Campbell, Brittany Esposito. Brampton power up considerably with Jamie Lee Rattray, Laura Fortino, Carley Mercer and Erica Howe and will be much more even with the other teams next season. The Furies get some national quality talent with Megan Bozek and Kelly Terry, but drop off after that, and Montreal seem to have had slim pickings this year; I'm not familiar with Kim Deschenes, and Vanessa Gagnon is a serious catch, but after that I didn't see a lot of names I knew.

Will be interesting to see who actually plays. The Blades were stacked already, and with their current roster + top draftees would probably be favorites for the coming year, but for all of these teams it's hard to know who will be willing to take one more year of earning no money.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
          Draft tracker is here:

http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl/2014-cw.../draft-tracker

List of prospects going in is here:

http://www.cwhl.ca/view/cwhl/2014-cw...raft-prospects

Odd that Taylor Wasylk was on the prospects list but not drafted. I hope her playing days aren't over, she was always fun to watch (and her Eagles line with Kate Leary and Dana Trivigno, first line talent with fourth line 'tude, produced some great moments).

As usual, the Blades benefit from being the only US team and snap up Jenny Potter (!), Monique Lamoreaux, Brianna Decker. But Calgary maybe have more depth: their top five are Sarah Davis, Hayleigh Cudmore, Louise Warren, Jessica Campbell, Brittany Esposito. Brampton power up considerably with Jamie Lee Rattray, Laura Fortino, Carley Mercer and Erica Howe and will be much more even with the other teams next season. The Furies get some national quality talent with Megan Bozek and Kelly Terry, but drop off after that, and Montreal seem to have had slim pickings this year; I'm not familiar with Kim Deschenes, and Vanessa Gagnon is a serious catch, but after that I didn't see a lot of names I knew.

Will be interesting to see who actually plays. The Blades were stacked already, and with their current roster + top draftees would probably be favorites for the coming year, but for all of these teams it's hard to know who will be willing to take one more year of earning no money.
          Huh.... why did the Blades keep picking and picking and picking??? And some of the players chosen - Alexius Schutt Sacred Heart - have seen her play several times and not impressed. Denise Cardello - Castleton State - there is NO ONE from that team's history who should be playing in this league. Tanis Lamoreaux - Elmira - good player but in the third round over the numerous other options. Laurel Hill - St Norberts - really?..... the league really needs to up its talent level if these players are really actually going to play...

Comment

Figured Bozek would go very high...actually figured #1. Would have been my pick if I had the #1.

Congrats to Megan!

Davie #3...Yea! KT #2 in the 2nd! Good picks.
            Last edited by brookyone; 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              Huh.... why did the Blades keep picking and picking and picking??? And some of the players chosen - Alexius Schutt Sacred Heart - have seen her play several times and not impressed. Denise Cardello - Castleton State - there is NO ONE from that team's history who should be playing in this league. Tanis Lamoreaux - Elmira - good player but in the third round over the numerous other options. Laurel Hill - St Norberts - really?..... the league really needs to up its talent level if these players are really actually going to play...
              I thought Potter's playing days were over in favor of a coaching career? Is this a prelude to a 2018 comeback? I don't see how she could coach college hockey and play in the CWHL, unless I am missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                The CWHL has residence requirements: you register for the draft as resident in a given area, and that means that unless you're in the Greater Toronto Area, you're essentially registering for a single team. So in Montreal / Boston / Calgary, the draft is really just a matter of letting everyone on your list sign with you. There's no downside to letting lots of kids sign. My understanding is that a team can only roster 25 players, so not all the players who signed will end up on the roster, but letting them sign doesn't hurt and makes the night a bigger one for everyone.

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                Figured Bozek would go very high...actually figured #1. Would have been my pick if I had the #1.

Congrats to Megan!

Davie #3...Yea! KT #2 in the 2nd! Good picks.
                I was surprised to see Bozek go second too. Fortino is a *gold* medalist, I suppose, but even so.

Pleased and surprised to see Davis go to Calgary -- I'd thought that she was giving up hockey after her undergraduate degree/

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                  I thought Potter's playing days were over in favor of a coaching career? Is this a prelude to a 2018 comeback? I don't see how she could coach college hockey and play in the CWHL, unless I am missing something.
                  Didn't Katey Stone cut her in 2013? Blades selected Potter before Monique Lamoureux. Hmm. Weird.

Comment

Big changes in Calgary. Watchorn and Larocque out; Irwin, Johnston and Bram in (plus Mikkelson returning). Then adding some quality players in Davis, Cudmore, Warren and Campbell there is a definite shift in strength from defense to offense but they certainly look like a contender.

But I'd have to think it is Boston's to lose really. But the more talent the league can retain from players leaving college the better for the sport, that's for sure.

Comment

Article in the Boston Globe on women's pro sports. Ironically, the photo used for illustration of the Blades is (I believe) that of Katerina "Frosty" Mrazova, now skating for the UMD Bulldogs.
                      Last edited by Hux; 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

“What makes it a different and, in some respects, a better kind of experience than the men? How is it better?”

Exactly, the absence of body checking does not make the game inferior, it makes it different, and IMO, better.
                        While some do go to hockey games for the rough play (doesn’t the NFL fill that role?) most people would say exciting offensive scoring opportunities is their favorite part of the game, with a goalie snuffing it out with a great save as a close second. Removing body checking from the game makes for an increase in the number of exciting offensive opportunities and gives goalies more opportunities to demonstrate their skill.

Today, the men have outgrown the size of the rink, even at the collegiate level. If it weren’t for the fighting and body checks, people would fall asleep waiting for the next scoring opportunity.Far too much of the game is played in the neutral zone. It’s almost as bad as soccer. In fact both sports have something in common, players feigning being the victims of a penalty committed by an opposing player to give their team a scoring opportunity.

Comment

Rookie's view of the tryouts:

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/cwh...ws/news_176224

The great news is that Jillian Dempsey's back with the team for the coming season. Hooray! Also, Tara Watchorn has transferred from Calgary. Still not clear if Schaus is coming back but with the stellar Ott to rely on there should be no problem between the pipes.

Comment

Blades roster finally posted: http://cwhlboston.stats.pointstreak.com/teamroster.html?teamid=277085&seasonid=13281 No Stack no Buesser no Schaus :-(

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                              Blades roster finally posted: http://cwhlboston.stats.pointstreak....seasonid=13281 No Stack no Buesser no Schaus :-(
                              Since Buesser's now in medical school and a volunteer assistant for Yale, it shouldn't be a surprise she has no time left to play

Comment

Working...
                              X