PDA

View Full Version : Boston Frozen Four tickets

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

J.D.
08-22-2014, 12:04 PM
only time i ever applied was back in 2004 Boston and i ended up getting them so i am a priority 1 still. gonna try to get them this year through the lottery, do i have a shot with such a low priority?

BCeagle
08-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Will the prices be the same for all tickets ? Or will they have different prices between lower bowl and balcony ?

pgb-ohio
08-23-2014, 08:43 PM
only time i ever applied was back in 2004 Boston and i ended up getting them so i am a priority 1 still. gonna try to get them this year through the lottery, do i have a shot with such a low priority?There have been tickets left over at the end of the lottery process since at least 2010. OK, the FFFF doesn't count. But the fact that Philly, Pitt, Tampa and even St. Paul had tickets left over certainly gives you hope.

My guess is that from Level 5 and above, demand will be similar to other years. The wild card in this conversation? The amount of demand at the levels immediately above you. Let me explain.

When it comes to supporting the FF within their home region, New Englanders have definitely been Boston Strong. Providence too. And for Frozen Four purposes, Albany apparently counts as home region. Looking at it from the outside, it appears to me that New Englanders are all in if the tournament is commutable -- meaning that it doesn't require overnight lodging. Failing that, large numbers stay away unless their favorite team is playing. And those who only travel for their favorite team have long since stopped buying tickets in the lottery.

FF lottery points have been earned within the region four times: Boston 1998; Providence 2000; Albany 2001 and Boston 2004. What this says to me is that there are a significant number of New Englanders holding 1 to 4 priority points. Most of the group probably hasn't applied or attended since 2004. Over the years I've referred to this as "dormant" priority.

So the question is, will all of the dormant priority in Levels 2-4 rise up as one, and eat up all of the tickets before you get your chance to flesh things out? In other words, are we looking at a Lottery of the Living Dead?:eek:

Could be. But ultimately your guess is as good as mine, if not better. Questions for you: Is there widespread excitement in NE about the 2015 FF? Do you have hockey buddies who are talking about getting back in, after years of being away? Or is any real buzz limited to hardcore college hockey fans?

Answer those questions and you'll have a better idea of your chances in the upcoming seat selection process.

gscott13
08-27-2014, 02:40 PM
There have been tickets left over at the end of the lottery process since at least 2010. OK, the FFFF doesn't count. But the fact that Philly, Pitt, Tampa and even St. Paul had tickets left over certainly gives you hope.

My guess is that from Level 5 and above, demand will be similar to other years. The wild card in this conversation? The amount of demand at the levels immediately above you. Let me explain.

When it comes to supporting the FF within their home region, New Englanders have definitely been Boston Strong. Providence too. And for Frozen Four purposes, Albany apparently counts as home region. Looking at it from the outside, it appears to me that New Englanders are all in if the tournament is commutable -- meaning that it doesn't require overnight lodging. Failing that, large numbers stay away unless their favorite team is playing. And those who only travel for their favorite team have long since stopped buying tickets in the lottery.

FF lottery points have been earned within the region four times: Boston 1998; Providence 2000; Albany 2001 and Boston 2004. What this says to me is that there are a significant number of New Englanders holding 1 to 4 priority points. Most of the group probably hasn't applied or attended since 2004. Over the years I've referred to this as "dormant" priority.

So the question is, will all of the dormant priority in Levels 2-4 rise up as one, and eat up all of the tickets before you get your chance to flesh things out? In other words, are we looking at a Lottery of the Living Dead?:eek:

Could be. But ultimately your guess is as good as mine, if not better. Questions for you: Is there widespread excitement in NE about the 2015 FF? Do you have hockey buddies who are talking about getting back in, after years of being away? Or is any real buzz limited to hardcore college hockey fans?

Answer those questions and you'll have a better idea of your chances in the upcoming seat selection process.

there will be another segment (which i will fall into this year) that will augment their purchase to get the max number of tickets... my normal purchase of 2 tickets will become 3 (definitely) and most likely, 4 tickets. normally, my buddy and i head out of town for the ff, but with it in boston, his son will likely come to the games and possibly his brother...

pgb-ohio
08-29-2014, 12:51 AM
there will be another segment (which i will fall into this year) that will augment their purchase to get the max number of tickets... my normal purchase of 2 tickets will become 3 (definitely) and most likely, 4 tickets. normally, my buddy and i head out of town for the ff, but with it in boston, his son will likely come to the games and possibly his brother...Excellent point. And yet another reason why this is a year to lock up FF tickets up front.

Nick Papagiorgio
08-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Questions for you: Is there widespread excitement in NE about the 2015 FF? Do you have hockey buddies who are talking about getting back in, after years of being away? Or is any real buzz limited to hardcore college hockey fans?

It's college hockey, it's not going to generate buzz outside of hardcore hockey fans until we know the 4 teams playing in the Thursday semis.

I do know a teammate of mine is already planning on attending. He is younger and never got a chance to go to the Boston ones or Providence previously and doesn't travel to FFs, so he'll be going for sure as a local this time around.

pgb-ohio
08-29-2014, 11:59 AM
It's college hockey, it's not going to generate buzz outside of hardcore hockey fans until we know the 4 teams playing in the Thursday semis.

I do know a teammate of mine is already planning on attending. He is younger and never got a chance to go to the Boston ones or Providence previously and doesn't travel to FFs, so he'll be going for sure as a local this time around.Both good points. And yet your comments, as a pair, illustrate why it's hard to get an accurate read on this year's demand. Put your finger on the pulse, and yes: It feels like many are taking a wait and see attitude. And yet in the very next sentence, you identify a new ticket buyer who's "going for sure."

Do I think that 2015 is going to be like 2004, when half of the lottery applicants got shut out? No, I do not. But when we add up the regulars, the no-longer-dormant priority holders from NE, the larger orders (gscott13) and the new buyers like your teammate... Well, I can easily see the public allotment being gone at the end of the selection process in November.

"Buzz" was probably too strong a word. But at this point, I'm standing by my advice. For those with even one priority point, lock in your Boston seats during the lottery. For newcomers, jump in as the sale opens up to you.

Now be all that as it may, all of us will want to keep our brains engaged throughout the process. If we get down to Priority 1 and half of the public allotment is still available, then discard the advice. In that case, it would be an easy ticket next April. Don't expect that result, but it's not an impossibility.

PcFriars13
09-05-2014, 09:45 PM
So if I'm at priority level 1, I'm not guaranteed tickets, but it's likely I'll be able to purchase them?

The Rube
09-05-2014, 09:48 PM
So if I'm at priority level 1, I'm not guaranteed tickets, but it's likely I'll be able to purchase them?

You'll ALWAYS find tickets. It's just a matter of price. And that will be due to teams that are there. If you get, say, MI/MN/BC/Union...have fun spending a ton of money.

pgb-ohio
09-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Well, the BU vs. Maine Title Game @ Providence (1995) came pretty close to no tickets available at any price. But even then a few tickets changed hands.

PcFriars13
09-06-2014, 07:04 AM
You'll ALWAYS find tickets. It's just a matter of price. And that will be due to teams that are there. If you get, say, MI/MN/BC/Union...have fun spending a ton of money.

haha, fantastic! thank you.

CLS
09-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Of course, there’s a self-fulfilling prophesy aspect to this. If enough people think that tickets will be scarce, then they’ll buy tickets and … lo and behold, tickets will be scarce, at least for the initial sale.

Yet another factor is that the presence of a lot of schools and fans of different teams near Boston makes one of the inconveniences of reselling tickets – transferring money and physically getting the ticket from seller to buyer on short notice – not as much of a problem; there’s a high probability that many of the sellers and buyers will both be local, and exchange can be face to face.

And of course there’s the factor of the face value of the ticket. Higher prices mean greater risk if you have to eat the ticket, but it also probably increases the expected sale price if tickets are in high demand.

Ah yes, the ticket resale market. Economics 101 in one of its purest forms.

pgb-ohio
09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
All true and well put.

BC/HE
09-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Priority 18's select tomorrow morning September 26th. Let us know where the seats to select from are located this time. Will be interesting to see if Boston opened up better selections for this process than they did last time.

pgb-ohio
09-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Early Returns From The Lottery...

A friend who prefers not to post sent me some early observations via e-mail. Here's an edited version of his remarks. The editing deletes any identifying information. Also, I've taken the liberty of packaging his comments as a numbered list. Obviously "Priority 18" is not a real screen name.

1. Boston continues to be the worst selection for priority holders as in the past...I think a lot of PSL holders in the TD Garden opt in for tickets thus reducing the amount of "preferred" seats for priority ticket buyers, but I may be wrong...

2. This year it appears that the first four rows (of the balcony) are blocked.. I checked 5 or 6 sections around Center Ice.

3. The Lower Level has Corners and Behind The Net. Checked one Corner section and it was the top 5 or 6 rows that were available. Checked one section Behind The Net and it was Row 4.

4. Section 12 apparently has singles but no pairs.

Sincere thanks to Priority 18 for this helpful info. As a Priority 17, my turns comes up Monday. I'll add my thoughts to the mix after completing the purchase.

Nick Papagiorgio
09-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Interesting. And disappointing. Although not surprising I suppose.

BU2K
09-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Not surprised. Last time with lottery assigned tickets I was in balcony as what us now a 17.

Siouxfaninseattle
09-26-2014, 08:05 PM
So based on very early returns it looks like there will be no good seats for anyone. Nice.

BC/HE
09-26-2014, 09:31 PM
As nice as it is to have the FF in Boston, the city may be pressing its luck to have it return again any time soon, if the perceived snubbing of long time ticket holders is true. The Garden is adequate size wise for most NCAA cities but perhaps is too small for an NCAA hockey hotbed like Boston. As mentioned, there are more people here claiming their rights to seats than in most other venues. With the construction from the last time the FF was in Boston long gone fans will have a much better overall experience but the demand for good seats may be the backbreaker for future bid awards.

mookie1995
09-28-2014, 05:50 AM
Garden held back seats last time. Why did anyone think they'd change course this time around?