Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bowes leaves Castleton for UNH

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
    Leadership takes a great many forms, most of them unofficial....it seems you are thinking in terms of Cs and As, and I'm not at all. Often the best leadership comes from those without position power, who just quietly go about their business and provide a positive example for others. That's even more important in a divisive atmosphere...the more players you can bring in without that old baggage of negativity--and know how to contribute to a college team on and off the ice, the better.

I'm making the assumption that if she was the leading scorer in her first 2 years, and her coach wanted to have her follow him, she likely has many desirable qualities not only in terms of her potential production, but also likely in terms of work ethic, positive attitude, confidence, etc. That makes her a potential positive role model for others. Not to mention the maturity that generally comes with being 3 years older than the other incoming players.

In addition to that, whether she ends up being a huge offensive threat for UNH isn't necessarily critical to her being a difference maker either--my point was that even as a third line player you would expect that her offensive contributions would likely be a significant improvement versus the record of the incumbents.
    Actually I was not thinking in terms of C's and A's at all. Leading without authority is indeed a character attribute. My point is that an incoming D3 junior is unlikely to have the street cred to pull that off on her new D1 team until well into the season at the earliest. The fact that she is an assistant coach's hand picked choice may be more of an impediment to earning that street cred than beneficial. And according to all data presented on the UNH thread, at least a portion of this group of girls (returners not the freshman) are by all accounts a tough crowd to break that doesn't take well to being led by example OR direction.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      Actually I was not thinking in terms of C's and A's at all. Leading without authority is indeed a character attribute. My point is that an incoming D3 junior is unlikely to have the street cred to pull that off on her new D1 team until well into the season at the earliest. The fact that she is an assistant coach's hand picked choice may be more of an impediment to earning that street cred than beneficial. And according to all data presented on the UNH thread, at least a portion of this group of girls (returners not the freshman) are by all accounts a tough crowd to break that doesn't take well to being led by example OR direction.
      Then that portion of the team needs to be dealt with accordingly by the new coaching staff. It's not like they've done anything at UNH to show they are above "being led by example OR direction". Unless I am missing something, of course?

If the incoming D3 junior is good enough, and buys into the new program, then the "street cred" crew can go sit in the stands (or in the case of undermanned UNH, enjoy the scraps of PT on the lower lines/pairings).
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
        Heard Bowes took a player with him to UNH, can anyone confirm? How often does that happen D3 to D1?
        he took jensen he spartans top goal scorer

i was wondering how it works to

the spartans have two transfers also

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Then that portion of the team needs to be dealt with accordingly by the new coaching staff. It's not like they've done anything at UNH to show they are above "being led by example OR direction". Unless I am missing something, of course?

If the incoming D3 junior is good enough, and buys into the new program, then the "street cred" crew can go sit in the stands (or in the case of undermanned UNH, enjoy the scraps of PT on the lower lines/pairings).
          Well said Chuck!

Comment

Originally posted by DelayedOffside View Post
            Well said Chuck!
            What are the NCAA rules? I believe Jensen will have to sit a year before she can play.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
              What are the NCAA rules? I believe Jensen will have to sit a year before she can play.
              No, you could even go from a D1 school to another D1 school with out sitting. Some conferences have their own rules they say you have to sit a year if you transfer within the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                I was under the impression a D-III player transferring up to D-I had to sit a year. That's certainly the case on the men's side.

It's a rule in place that keeps D1 schools from just mining D3 schools for talent.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  I was under the impression a D-III player transferring up to D-I had to sit a year. That's certainly the case on the men's side.

It's a rule in place that keeps D1 schools from just mining D3 schools for talent.
                  Mens ice hockey has a transfer rule in place for anyone transferring into or within D1 hockey. This is similar to D1 football and D1 M/W basketball. If you transfer, you sit.

Most sports, including women's hockey have a 1 time transfer exception where students can transfer 1 time without any penalty. Subsequent transfers may require them to sit for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                    Mens ice hockey has a transfer rule in place for anyone transferring into or within D1 hockey. This is similar to D1 football and D1 M/W basketball. If you transfer, you sit.

Most sports, including women's hockey have a 1 time transfer exception where students can transfer 1 time without any penalty. Subsequent transfers may require them to sit for a year.
                    Transfer up in division - no sit rule. Play immediately
                    Transfer withing the same league (WCHA, Hockey East, ECAC (not sure about CHA) sit a year (eg Alexis Crossley, from UNH to BU sits this year from UNH to BU)
                    Transfer to a different league - play immediately (eg Megan Armstrong, from UNH to St. Lawrence) plays immediately
                    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                      Transfer up in division - no sit rule. Play immediately
                      Transfer withing the same league (WCHA, Hockey East, ECAC (not sure about CHA) sit a year (eg Alexis Crossley, from UNH to BU sits this year from UNH to BU)
                      Transfer to a different league - play immediately (eg Megan Armstrong, from UNH to St. Lawrence) plays immediately
                      Those are conference rules, not NCAA rules.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                        Those are conference rules, not NCAA rules.
                        I see a lot of threads for division 1 teams and none for D3 we should start one for d3

since most players are returning except for 2 players i believe that Castleton has a real good chance of making the NCAA torunament

Their defensive core is rated very high and all are returning

Plattsburgh is rebuild and so is Norwich and so is Middlebury it could be two years before we see tham strong

Comment

Originally posted by justahockeydad View Post
                          I see a lot of threads for division 1 teams and none for D3 we should start one for d3

since most players are returning except for 2 players i believe that Castleton has a real good chance of making the NCAA torunament

Their defensive core is rated very high and all are returning

Plattsburgh is rebuild and so is Norwich and so is Middlebury it could be two years before we see tham strong
                          Not saying this will definitely be the case but remember Norwich, Middlebury and Plattsburgh have all gone through the "rebuild" process mutiple times now and all three remain among the nation's elite, competing for a title every year.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Not saying this will definitely be the case but remember Norwich, Middlebury and Plattsburgh have all gone through the "rebuild" process mutiple times now and all three remain among the nation's elite, competing for a title every year.
                            Taking a look at the roster, I would hardly refer to this as a rebuilding season for the Panthers.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                              Taking a look at the roster, I would hardly refer to this as a rebuilding season for the Panthers.
                              I wouldn't say a rebuilding year either by any means for Middlebury. Just was referencing the poster calling Plattsburgh, Norwich and Middlebury in "rebuilding" years.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

I wouldn't say a rebuilding year either by any means for Middlebury. Just was referencing the poster calling Plattsburgh, Norwich and Middlebury in "rebuilding" years.
                                was wondering why in d3 no team is allowed exhibition games

I would think this would be hard on coaches finalizing roosters

is there a reason for this

Comment

Working...
                                X