Women's Beantown Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Beantown Classic

Can anyone add info about this Showcase? Any one division better to watch than another? Worthwhile event?

Re: Women's Beantown Classic

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Can anyone add info about this Showcase? Any one division better to watch than another? Worthwhile event?
    It's a lot of fun and last year the college division featured a lot of the top players from New England teams -- Jillian Dempsey from Harvard, Skarupa / Field / Carpenter / Burns from BC, Pelkey from Vermont, others that I'm forgetting. The games are not just in Marlborough but all over the place; for example, last year we caught some round robin games at Valley Sports in West Concord, though the playoffs seemed to be centralized in Marlborough. Round robin games are two 23-minute periods, playoff games are one 30-minute period, and the schedule is kept very rigidly, so if you want to get to see particular players, make sure you're there ten minutes before time. Free admission for spectators. The rosters were posted early the week of the tournament, as I remember, so look for them on Monday and see if there are any players you particularly want to see. The games were streamed live on FastHockey but the quality wasn't great -- one camera, reasonable camerawork, but no commentary other than arena sounds. Confusingly, for the final, both teams were supposed to be in the same colors, so the lower seed wore vests *which had different numbers on them*, meaning you basically had to recognise faces to see who had the puck.

So, a lot of fun, but be clear that it's organized for the players and the spectators are incidental.

Comment

Thanks! Sounds like Kelly runs a tight ship. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Thanks! Sounds like Kelly runs a tight ship. Looking forward to it.
        This not being an Olympic year, expect a few more of the top caliber players to attend in the college division, just like two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
          This not being an Olympic year, expect a few more of the top caliber players to attend in the college division, just like two years ago.
          BTW for those who have not seen it, Spooner and Mikkelson from Team Canada are participating the Canadian version of "The Amazing Race". They won both the first and the second leg. Canadian version of TAR airs over the summer months, it is on CTV.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            Even last year was great -- in addition to the ones named above, there were Pankowski, Pucci, Lefort, Kohanchuk, Kelly Babstock, Erin Ambrose, Kate Buesser, Hilary Knight... should be a good show.

If anyone's looking for me there, I'm the dad with the 8yo daughter in either a Skarupa jersey or (if we get it made in time) a Field / C t-shirt...

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
              Even last year was great -- in addition to the ones named above, there were Pankowski, Pucci, Lefort, Kohanchuk, Kelly Babstock, Erin Ambrose, Kate Buesser, Hilary Knight... should be a good show. If anyone's looking for me there, I'm the dad with the 8yo daughter in either a Skarupa jersey or (if we get it made in time) a Field / C t-shirt...
              Will be there taking in the games. Comparing the competition and where things fit in.

Comment

Even last year was great -- in addition to the ones named above, there were Pankowski, Pucci, Lefort, Kohanchuk, Kelly Babstock, Erin Ambrose, Kate Buesser, Hilary Knight... should be a good show.

If anyone's looking for me there, I'm the dad with the 8yo daughter in either a Skarupa jersey or (if we get it made in time) a Field / C t-shirt...
                You are already on the watch list for Hockey Mom Hall of Fame consideration!

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
                  You are already on the watch list for Hockey Mom Hall of Fame consideration!
                  I'm actually a dad! Now obsessively rereading my old posts for hints of momness...

Comment

I'm actually a dad! Now obsessively rereading my old posts for hints of momness...
                    We understand that you are confused about your identity.

Comment

The ones that said, "I'm the dad ..." cleared up any possible confusion for me.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Rosters are up: http://beantownclassic.com/contents/...assic/rosters/

Teams to look out for include The Jets (BC: Leary, Trivigno, Wasylk, Field, Skarupa + Paige Savage, Amanda Pelkey, Heather Mottau); NAHA (a huge roster including Ali and Annie Pankowski, Toni Ann Miano, Hannah Bramm and a load more BC players); NA Whip Selects (Blake Bolden, Monique Lamoureux (!), Meghan Duggan (!!), Hilary Knight (!!!), Kacey Bellamy, Marie Philip Poulin, Jess Koizumi); Team Celine (Harvard, including Fry and Picard from the Olympic team, along with Jillian Dempsey, Miye D'Oench, etc). I'll be there for the finals, may well make it down on Friday or Saturday too.

Comment

Teams to look out for include The Jets (BC: Leary, Trivigno, Wasylk, Field, Skarupa + Paige Savage, Amanda Pelkey, Heather Mottau); NAHA (a huge roster including Ali and Annie Pankowski, Toni Ann Miano, Hannah Bramm and a load more BC players); NA Whip Selects (Blake Bolden, Monique Lamoureux (!), Meghan Duggan (!!), Hilary Knight (!!!), Kacey Bellamy, Marie Philip Poulin, Jess Koizumi); Team Celine (Harvard, including Fry and Picard from the Olympic team, along with Jillian Dempsey, Miye D'Oench, etc). I'll be there for the finals, may well make it down on Friday or Saturday too.
                          Hoooooooooooooooooooooooly...
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

how are they going to fit the NAHA team on one bench??

Comment

Oops....Hockey Dad Hall of Fame Consideration

Comment

Working...
                              X