Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the 6.5:1 playoff ratio? Among the cost-cutting ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the 6.5:1 playoff ratio? Among the cost-cutting ideas...

http://www.ncaa.org/governance/diii-...ps?division=d3

Not sure if this has been posted already... I bolded the one line for emphasis...

HIGHLIGHTS
    What Happened: The Division III Championships Committee refined its recommendations for reducing and sharing the costs associated with operating championships to address the recent overages in the division’s championships budget.

What's Next: The committee will discuss and finalize its recommendations during a June 17 conference call. The Strategic Planning and Finance Committee will then review the merits of the recommendations later this month and decide which of them to forward to the management council.

June 10, 2014 | By Brian Burnsed
    DIII Committee Looks At Trimming, Sharing Costs Of Championships
    Championships Committee Nears Finalizing Recommendations To Address Recent Overages In Championships Budget

While the Division III Championships Committee didn’t finalize any recommendations that would address the recent overages in Division III’s championships budget, it did make progress towards that goal during its May 28-29 meeting in Indianapolis.

The group collectively decided that finding significant new revenue doesn’t seem realistic and that cutting championships expenses would be one way the division could achieve a balanced budget in the short term. So committee members discussed potential changes to championships, using results from a recent championships-centric survey of Division III athletics directors, conference commissioners and sport committee members as a guide. The committee’s initial ideas for cuts, which call for cost sharing – shifting some financial responsibility for championships from the division to the schools – would result in more than $2.5 million in short-term savings that would be implemented over the next two academic years. The potential recommendations include:

Eliminating honorariums for host schools at non-predetermined sites;
    Eliminating per-diem for host schools;
    Reducing the reimbursement for team travel parties;
    Reducing first and second round team reimbursement;
    Eliminating the new softball super-regional format;
    Creating a three-day window between selections and travel in order to provide enough time to purchase cheaper airfare.
    The committee will further discuss and finalize those recommendations during a June 17 conference call. Later this month, the Strategic Planning and Finance Committee will review the merits of the recommendations and decide which ones to forward to the Division III Management Council.

Despite these potential short-term changes, more long-term cuts will need to be made to offset ever-increasing travel and game operation expenses. Expenses, in part, have grown because of increases in bracket sizes that are fueled by increases in Division III membership and sport sponsorship over time and the current target access ratio of 1 bracket position for every 6.5 teams competing in Division III.

Most committee members agreed that altering the Division’s access ratio might be the only viable long-term solution. Reducing the number of teams that have access to championship events would result in lower travel and game operation costs. But committee members know that striking a balance between fiscal responsibility and access to championships for student-athletes will prove to be a tremendous challenge. Any change to access ratios would require a vote from the membership.

“It is often difficult to change policies — and these are difficult decisions but we can’t continue to operate as we have because the finances just aren’t there,” said championships committee chair and Fitchburg State athletics director Sue Lauder. “Our first attempt at closing the gap will work for the short term. But there is a general feeling on the committee that we are going to have to make some more significant changes in the very near future to keep up with rising expenses.”
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: Changing the 6.5:1 playoff ratio? Among the cost-cutting ideas...

Yikes! I wonder if they'll grandfather the existing size of championships, but further expansion of tournament size will be based on the new ratio?????
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Yikes! I wonder if they'll grandfather the existing size of championships, but further expansion of tournament size will be based on the new ratio?????
      My guess would be no grandfathering.

They really have to penny pinch D3 while D1 basketball and football sign multi-billion $$$ deals.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Doubtful. Their aim is for long range cost CUTTING. Note the word "cutting."
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Doubtful. Their aim is for long range cost CUTTING. Note the word "cutting."
          I would hope they dont cut the internet coverage of the Final 4/Frozen 4,some of us aren't fortunate enough to make it

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            I would hope they dont cut the internet coverage of the Final 4/Frozen 4,some of us aren't fortunate enough to make it
            How much money could they possibly save from not paying a commentator and a robocam operator?

Comment

Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
              How much money could they possibly save from not paying a commentator and a robocam operator?
              hey rooms in Lp can get expensive

Comment

Hard to believe that Turner actually pays for a crew of 6 plus anncrs and equipment for the two days - probably $30-40k....
                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                  Hard to believe that Turner actually pays for a crew of 6 plus anncrs and equipment for the two days - probably $30-40k....
                  Ok haulin Oats Lou just answered part of the question,lets hope whatever room these people are in get full of smoke as well

Comment

I'll do it for travel expenses and food if they want.
                    Twitter: DanMountSports
                    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

The part that "gets' me is the line that part of the problem is that due to more D3 schools, there are more teams in the postseason, thus driving up costs.

Right, because it makes that more teams in the division should translate into fewer postseason teams. Maybe more teams should mean more resources.

But that's just me...
                      ---

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                        I bet you could get Norwich, Oswego, SNC and maybe a few more to do it for travel expenses and you'd get s better product.

Comment

I bet you could get Norwich, Oswego, SNC and maybe a few more to do it for travel expenses and you'd get s better product.
                          You are correct sir ,I would think so, I have watched many Oz and Cadet broadcasts ,top shelf,dont know about SNB but I am pretty sure its up there with the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                            You are correct sir ,I would think so, I have watched many Oz and Cadet broadcasts ,top shelf,dont know about SNC but I am pretty sure its up there with the rest.
                            fixed your post
                            ---

Comment

The feces has hit the air mover

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ts?division=d3
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X