X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NESCAC season 2014-2015

A bit later than last year but here it is:
    http://nescac.com/sports/wice/2014-15/schedule
    This season returns to some Sunday conference play. It also shows Conn College, Trinity and Williams visiting Adrian early in 2015.
    Best to all for a great summa' and look forward to seeing you all at a rink real soon!

Re: NESCAC season 2014-2015

Hope you are all enjoying the summer. I guess the big NESCAC news off season has to be Amherst leaving the Panther-Cardinal (with none other than perennial power Gustavus Adolphus coming east to replace them). I did run into Conn College Coach Steele at Scott's Farm Stand in East Lyme Saturday, but she seemed not to be in a chatty humor.
    Hard to believe there is no reportable gossip, innuendo or plain uninformed speculation out there...

Comment

Congratulations to Coach Ashley Salerno on her return to the NESCAC!!!
      http://vsgh.goalline.ca/news.php?news_id=968230&lang

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
        Congratulations to Coach Ashley Salerno on her return to the NESCAC!!!
        http://vsgh.goalline.ca/news.php?news_id=968230&lang
        Congratulations to Ashley, but I have to admit I'm confused. I thought she transferrred from Amherst to Vermont so that she could get her Masters at UVM and work this upcoming season as an Asst Coach for Coach Plumer....who coached her at Amherst before he moved to UVM.

Comment

Hope you are all enjoying the summer. I guess the big NESCAC news off season has to be Amherst leaving the Panther-Cardinal (with none other than perennial power Gustavus Adolphus coming east to replace them). I did run into Conn College Coach Steele at Scott's Farm Stand in East Lyme Saturday, but she seemed not to be in a chatty humor.
          Hard to believe there is no reportable gossip, innuendo or plain uninformed speculation out there...

Any 411 on this year's nescac recruits? Seems pretty quiet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
            I did hear it may be time to mix up another batch of Kamel Koolaide!

Comment

Here is what I grabbed off the D3 commitments thread and a couple of New England club websites....I've heard about a couple of others but they are not public anywhere... maybe Coach Steele was not chatty because she came up short this year (who knows?!)....

Amherst
              Brenna Sullivan ...........F....... (Chicago Fury) ................Illinois
              Sabrina Dobbins ...................G ................................(Boston Shamrocks) .........................Bedford, NH

Colby
              Jess Thulin ...................... G ................. Southfield/Islanders ............... MA
              Jacqueline Seymour ................. D ........................ Thayer/Wizards ...................... Canton, MA
              Bella Papapetros ...................... ? ........................ Brooks/Wizards....................... North Andover, MA
              Brooke Gary ............................ D ....................... Middlesex/Wizards ................. Boxborough, MA
              Sasha Fritts.... F .... Greenwich Academy/Mid Fairfield Stars.... CT

Connecticut College
              Kate Kohl ..................F/D ......................(Boston Shamrocks) .........................Chelmsford, MA

Hamilton
              Caroline Knop..................D..............(CYA)........ ................IL

Middlebury
              Haley LaFontaine...........D.....................(NJ Colonials/Pingry)................Summit, NJ
              Jessica Young............F..........(Chicago Fury)..................Missouri
              Julie Neuburger...........................G............. .(NAHA)..........................Philadelphia, NY
              Madeline Winslow ..................... F ........................ Assabet/Middlesex .................... Newburyport, MA
              Janka Hlinka....F ..... Choate/Mid Fairfield Stars..... CT
              Elizabeth Wulf.... F ....Hotchkiss/Mid Fairfield Stars

Trinity
              Sydney Belinskas ................. G ......................... MA Spitfires ............................ ??
              Melissa Maffeo ………………… F ………………………. Rivers/Wizards ……………………. MA
              Lori Berger ………………………. F ……………………… Wizards …………………………….. MA

Wesleyan
              Cici Fratassio .......................... F ........................ Middlesex ................................. Walpole, MA
              Hannah Gallogly ……………………. /…………………………. Spitfires …………………………………?

Williams
              Ellen Chiligiris......................F................. ..(Chicago Mission)......................Darien, IL
              Kearan Burke .......................... F ........................ St Marks/Team Pittsburgh .......... Shrewsbury, MA
              Christina Cleroux ..................... G ........................ Middlesex ..........................
              Last edited by HockeyEast33; 08-18-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I did hear it may be time to mix up another batch of Kamel Koolaide!

how can the other poor teams even hope to compete against the mighty PooBears? just give them the title now before the season starts. If only the profs were high and dry.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                  Here is what I grabbed off the D3 commitments thread and a couple of New England club websites....I've heard about a couple of others but they are not public anywhere... maybe Coach Steele was not chatty because she came up short this year (who knows?!)....

Amherst
                  Brenna Sullivan ...........F....... (Chicago Fury) ................Illinois
                  Sabrina Dobbins ...................G ................................(Boston Shamrocks) .........................Bedford, NH

Colby
                  Jess Thulin ...................... G ................. Southfield/Islanders ............... MA
                  Jacqueline Seymour ................. D ........................ Thayer/Wizards ...................... Canton, MA
                  Bella Papapetros ...................... ? ........................ Brooks/Wizards....................... North Andover, MA
                  Brooke Gary ............................ D ....................... Middlesex/Wizards ................. Boxborough, MA
                  Sasha Fritts.... F .... Greenwich Academy/Mid Fairfield Stars.... CT

Connecticut College
                  Kate Kohl ..................F/D ......................(Boston Shamrocks) .........................Chelmsford, MA

Hamilton
                  Caroline Knop..................D..............(CYA)........ ................IL

Middlebury
                  Haley LaFontaine...........D.....................(NJ Colonials/Pingry)................Summit, NJ
                  Jessica Young............F..........(Chicago Fury)..................Missouri
                  Julie Neuburger...........................G............. .(NAHA)..........................Philadelphia, NY
                  Madeline Winslow ..................... F ........................ Assabet/Middlesex .................... Newburyport, MA
                  Janka Hlinka....F ..... Choate/Mid Fairfield Stars..... CT
                  Elizabeth Wulf.... F ....Hotchkiss/Mid Fairfield Stars

Trinity
                  Sydney Belinskas ................. G ......................... MA Spitfires ............................ ??
                  Melissa Maffeo ………………… F ………………………. Rivers/Wizards ……………………. MA
                  Lori Berger ………………………. F ……………………… Wizards …………………………….. MA

Wesleyan
                  Cici Fratassio .......................... F ........................ Middlesex ................................. Walpole, MA
                  Hannah Gallogly ……………………. /…………………………. Spitfires …………………………………?

Williams
                  Ellen Chiligiris......................F................. ..(Chicago Mission)......................Darien, IL
                  Kearan Burke .......................... F ........................ St Marks/Team Pittsburgh .......... Shrewsbury, MA
                  Christina Cleroux ..................... G ........................ Middlesex ..........................

I was talking about the D3 recruiting world, nescac in particular, not Ms Steele. As for coming up short...4th place [and almost a trip to the Conf. finals isn't so terrible]....perhaps you should ask the Panthers about coming up short...since no #1 seed had ever lost to a #8 in the history of the Conf. oh, and that KO'd them from the NCAA's to boot. But i digress. Really just was wondering if there was any info on frosh.

Comment

I have a NESCAC recruiting question. My daughter would love to play for a NESCAC school. Actually, she has her eye on one of three schools. She plays Tier 1 for a HPHL team in the midwest, is on the alternate list for Selects, has not been to the USA camps but is close. When should she contact NESCAC coaches? She has good grades, but has not taken the SATs yet. What advice do you have? When/how should she make contact? We hear a lot about D1 recruiting but much less about the process for top D3 schools. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jumbodaddy77 View Post
                      I have a NESCAC recruiting question. My daughter would love to play for a NESCAC school. Actually, she has her eye on one of three schools. She plays Tier 1 for a HPHL team in the midwest, is on the alternate list for Selects, has not been to the USA camps but is close. When should she contact NESCAC coaches? She has good grades, but has not taken the SATs yet. What advice do you have? When/how should she make contact? We hear a lot about D1 recruiting but much less about the process for top D3 schools. Thanks.

What grade is she in?

She should take the SAT/ACT sooner rather than later to get a sense of where she may stand in terms of admissions [which also gives her time to improve scores if necessary with prep classes, etc.]. There is no reason not to do some research on the schools to see what you like/dislike and begin to contact coaches during Soph year to get a sense of their level of interest, etc.

Most serious nescac recruiting is done during Jr year and many decisions are made in late Spring and Summer...with some decisions coming in the early fall of Sr year [sometime due to grades/test scores that need to come up]. Note that in most cases, nescac schools will want you to apply early decision, so you will need to start looking at schools early.

Comment

I was talking about the D3 recruiting world, nescac in particular, not Ms Steele. As for coming up short...4th place [and almost a trip to the Conf. finals isn't so terrible]....perhaps you should ask the Panthers about coming up short...since no #1 seed had ever lost to a #8 in the history of the Conf. oh, and that KO'd them from the NCAA's to boot. But i digress. Really just was wondering if there was any info on frosh.
                        I meant coming up short in recruiting, not in last season's performance.....they had a good season...

Comment

What grade is she in?

She should take the SAT/ACT sooner rather than later to get a sense of where she may stand in terms of admissions [which also gives her time to improve scores if necessary with prep classes, etc.]. There is no reason not to do some research on the schools to see what you like/dislike and begin to contact coaches during Soph year to get a sense of their level of interest, etc.

Most serious nescac recruiting is done during Jr year and many decisions are made in late Spring and Summer...with some decisions coming in the early fall of Sr year [sometime due to grades/test scores that need to come up]. Note that in most cases, nescac schools will want you to apply early decision, so you will need to start looking at schools early.
                          Agree with starting in sophomore year if that is still possible. Keep in mind a few points:

1. D3 coaches tend to turn over fairly regularly (NESCAC not as much though), so the coaches you speak with in the sophomore year may or may not be the coach when it comes to the final days in making a decision. As a result, as a sophomore you should not get too locked in on a specific or small group of schools - keep a broad view as events will likely whittle the list down on their own (coach doesn't want you, coach leaves, etc.). In the Junior year you can be more selective but still keep at least 3-5 options.

2. Not completely bought off on the above timing. There is a group of girls who are D1 candidates (usually Ivy League) through the summer who fall out into D3 spots in the early Fall and the NESCAC coaches keep open spots for a couple of these kids into early October typically. If you are not one of these borderline D1 players, though, then it makes sense to commit in the summer if you have the opportunity to make sure a spot is available. Junior Spring commits at NESCAC schools aren't that common in my experience.

3. Playing in the NESCAC is all about the academics (even if you are a really high end D3 player) - just like the Ivies - these are some of the most competitive schools in the country to get into.

Players fall into the A, B, or C Band at NESCAC schools. A Banders will have a high chance of getting in regardless of coach support and most NESCAC schools have at least a few players who got in on their academics and with minimal or no coach support and end up filling out the roster. B Banders will generally need significant coach support to get in so the highest test scores and grades you can muster are really important. C Banders have no chance of admission on their own and will have to be program changing players for the coach to get in and they likely can only get 1 per year (if any at some schools).

A B and C Bands are different at each school based on their overall student population level of accomplishment. To give you an idea, based on a bunch of players who
                          went through the process in the last few years, a good player with a high 20's ACT score and B average (multiple AP courses) at a prestigious NE prep school would be a C Bander at Welseyan (they don't value hockey that much), borderline B/C Bander at Williams/Middlebury/Amherst, and B Bander at the rest of the NESCAC. So she would require coach support at every NESCAC school - and these qualifications are top 20% of students…

Comment

how can the other poor teams even hope to compete against the mighty PooBears? just give them the title now before the season starts. If only the profs were high and dry.
                            Only wish the PooBears were so mighty! Midd, Conn, Williams, Amherst as hosts in the '15 NESCAC quarter-finals?
                            Last edited by obserbear; 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Only wish to PooBears were so mighty! Midd, Conn, Williams, Amherst as hosts in the '15 NESCAC quarter-finals?
                              I would say that the only team out of the hunt this year for a home playoff spot is probably Hamilton unless they have a bunch of unknown recruits... could easily see Colby, Trinity, Wesleyan, or Bowdoin with a home ice playoff. Be interesting to see if Williams and Wesleyan can maintain their momentum ....

Comment

Working...
                              X